PDA

View Full Version : Why do teams have to run down the clock at the end of quarters?

nba_55
04-29-2015, 08:18 PM
At the end of the 4th quarter, i understand it, the team leading don't want the other team to comeback, they want to reduce the number of possessions the other team can get to make their comeback. At the end of the other 3 quarters, I don't get it. Why teams stop running plays? Why does one player stand and run down the clock? What's the advantage?

ATL_Bball_King
04-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Youve never played basketball if this is a serious question...

Hit_Em
04-29-2015, 08:22 PM
op just confirmed he has never played a second of organized basketball in his life.To keep the other team from getting extra possessions

Kobe_6/8
04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
They don't want to risk turning it over, or causing an injury. Same thing happens in the NFL.

Solefade
04-29-2015, 08:27 PM
lmao

Dro
I was about to clown the OP too like everybody else but when reading it again, I don't think he's saying its a bad thing to run down the clock. He's asking why do teams stop running plays, they stop running their offense completely and just let one guy dribble for 20 seconds and hoist up a bad shot. It can lead to the offense getting stagnant. Actually, this same thing happens in the NFL too and can lead to a loss....

nba_55
op just confirmed he has never played a second of organized basketball in his life.To keep the other team from getting extra possessions

What's the advantage of that? The other team still have another 12 minutes (at the end of 3rd) to comeback. If the team really wants to limit the other team's possessions, why doesn't the team run down the clock each possession?

nba_55
04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Youve never played basketball if this is a serious question...

This kind of comment lead nowhere. It would be better if you gave a logical reason.

Dro
04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
This kind of comment lead nowhere. It would be better if you gave a logical reason.
Honestly, your post is a bit confusing. I tried my best to make out what I thought you meant...

ATL_Bball_King
What's the advantage of that? The other team still have another 12 minutes (at the end of 3rd) to comeback. If the team really wants to limit the other team's possessions, why doesn't the team run down the clock each possession?

12 seconds is alot of time left on the clock when they had the possession, they would of triedfor the two for one in that scenario...

Real14
OP iz definitely a virgin:roll:

SaltyMeatballs
04-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Women don't usually find nutheads like you attractive, so I doubt you've lost your virginity either.

Real14
04-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Women don't usually find nutheads like you attractive, so I doubt you've lost your virginity either.

Niguh I prolly had more puhcee than you man:lol and how tha hell a straight man gonna call himself salty meatballs and then falsely accuse an ill niguh like me anyway?:oldlol: GTFOH!:oldlol:

Eric Cartman
04-29-2015, 08:39 PM

Who said he lost it to a woman?

Mr. Jabbar
04-29-2015, 08:41 PM

:roll: :roll:

ATL_Bball_King
04-29-2015, 08:41 PM

Logically, if uve ever played organized ball, any coach would tell u to get the last shot...it could be 40 secs left...u hold the ball and get the last good look...even if u never played, if u really watch basketball, u should know getting the last shot and getting momentum for the next quarter is key

SaltyMeatballs
04-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Niguh I prolly had more puhcee than you man:lol and how tha hell a straight man gonna call himself salty meatballs and then falsely accuse an ill niguh like me anyway?:oldlol: GTFOH!:oldlol:
Yeah, you probably mean ***** as in CATS. I really doubt you've gotten the real thing considering how dumb you are. Also, SaltyMeatballs is just a username I chose to have. It has nothing to do with how I behave/act in real life.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Honestly, your post is a bit confusing. I tried my best to make out what I thought you meant...

Mathematically, if you really think about it, there's no advantage of holding the ball at the end of quarters. People talk about ''not giving the opponent extra possession'', but that's bullshit. At the end of the day, the number of possession even out. Teams alter possessions. Team A gets the ball--->Team B gets the ball---->Team A gets the ball.... At the end, all even out.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Logically, if uve ever played organized ball, any coach would tell u to get the last shot...it could be 40 secs left...u hold the ball and get the last good look...even if u never played, if u really watch basketball, u should know getting the last shot and getting momentum for the next quarter is key

Holding the ball to get a bad shot at the end of quarter doesn't really give you the momentum, especially if you miss it.

knicksman
04-29-2015, 09:53 PM

not a surprise hes a bran stan:roll:

lilandywiggins
04-29-2015, 09:58 PM
At the end of the 4th quarter, i understand it, the team leading don't want the other team to comeback, they want to reduce the number of possessions the other team can get to make their comeback. At the end of the other 3 quarters, I don't get it. Why teams stop running plays? Why does one player stand and run down the clock? What's the advantage?

You honestly don't understand the strategy?

EwingMan
04-29-2015, 10:11 PM
Mathematically, if you really think about it, there's no advantage of holding the ball at the end of quarters. People talk about ''not giving the opponent extra possession'', but that's bullshit. At the end of the day, the number of possession even out. Teams alter possessions. Team A gets the ball--->Team B gets the ball---->Team A gets the ball.... At the end, all even out.

are you serious? your expected value is going to be higher if you get a shitty shot and your opponent doesn't get a shot, than if you and your opponent both get a shot.

and, uh, you know initial possession in a quarter is not dependent on who had final possession in the last quarter right?

Random_Guy
04-29-2015, 10:18 PM
wow op is retarded, i thought what he meant is what dro was saying....guess not lol.
as an answer to dro, i have been wondering about that for a while as well

Matty2Cool
04-29-2015, 10:22 PM
I only logged in to say lol

Akhenaten
04-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Don't get the strategy either but it's one of those things that have been done a certain way for so long everybody just accepts it as being the right thing to do.

To me it's the easiest play in basketball to defend because its so predictable and the defense often can key because by the time offensive player iniates his move there is usually not enough time for a pass.

I really dont like this play, extremely low percentage.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 11:44 PM
are you serious? your expected value is going to be higher if you get a shitty shot and your opponent doesn't get a shot, than if you and your opponent both get a shot.

and, uh, you know initial possession in a quarter is not dependent on who had final possession in the last quarter right?

Still, it even out at the end. For example, Team A starts with the ball, then Team B gets it, then Team A gets it back.... they alter [possessions like that the whole quarter.

Now, let's say at the end of the quarter, team A gets the last possession. With that scenario, at the end of the quarter, Team A would have 1 more total possession than team B. The next quarter team B would start with it, it would even out.

If Team B finished the quarter with the possession, both teams would have equal number of possessions at the end of the quarter.

Think about it, you'll see that mathematically, it always even out. That ''extra'' possession is an illusion.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 11:46 PM
wow op is retarded, i thought what he meant is what dro was saying....guess not lol.
as an answer to dro, i have been wondering about that for a while as well

Dude, think about it. People always say you don't want to give the opponent an extra possession. But mathematically, that's wrong.

PsychoBe
04-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Still, it even out at the end. For example, Team A starts with the ball, then Team B gets it, then Team A gets it back.... they alter [possessions like that the whole quarter.

Now, let's say at the end of the quarter, team A gets the last possession. With that scenario, at the end of the quarter, Team A would have 1 more total possession than team B. The next quarter team B would start with it, it would even out.

If Team B finished the quarter with the possession, both teams would have equal number of possessions at the end of the quarter.

Think about it, you'll see that mathematically, it always even out.

so then why shoot early in the clock and give them a chance to score on back-to-back possessions? :facepalm

nba_55
04-29-2015, 11:49 PM

think about it. You'll see my reasoning behind it. Think mathematically.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 11:51 PM
so then why shoot early in the clock and give them a chance to score on back-to-back possessions? :facepalm

I say take the best shot possible. Run plays, don't hold the ball. Find the best shot possible. That ''don't give extra possession to opponent'' thing is an illusion. At the end, both teams get equal possessions. That's how it works. By rules, teams have to alter possession.

nba_55
04-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Don't get the strategy either but it's one of those things that have been done a certain way for so long everybody just accepts it as being the right thing to do.

To me it's the easiest play in basketball to defend because its so predictable and the defense often can key because by the time offensive player iniates his move there is usually not enough time for a pass.

I really dont like this play, extremely low percentage.

I think it started with star players wanting to have the spot light on them. And then, everyone just followed the trend.

EwingMan
04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Think about it, you'll see that mathematically, it always even out. That ''extra'' possession is an illusion.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/a-beautiful-mind-2001/large_v1WdKm9qQPBfhoHanBP5XxzIBDU.jpg

you're like john nash, except instead of being schizophrenic and a game-theoretic wizard, you're retarded and a goofus-idiot.

nba_55
04-30-2015, 12:07 AM
http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/a-beautiful-mind-2001/large_v1WdKm9qQPBfhoHanBP5XxzIBDU.jpg

you're like john nash, except instead of being schizophrenic and a game-theoretic wizard, you're retarded and a goofus-idiot.

Explain.
Don't take the easy way out by insulting, explain yourself. Counter my arguments.

PsychoBe
04-30-2015, 12:32 AM
I say take the best shot possible. Run plays, don't hold the ball. Find the best shot possible. That ''don't give extra possession to opponent'' thing is an illusion. At the end, both teams get equal possessions. That's how it works. By rules, teams have to alter possession.

i literally said "back-to-back" possessions, not "Extra" possessions

nba_55
04-30-2015, 12:36 AM
i literally said "back-to-back" possessions, not "Extra" possessions

I don't get your argument. Articulate it better. Give me some examples or something else. Only back-to-back doesn't do it. Isn't your back2back shit the same thing as the ''extra possession argument'' of everyone else?

rule1223
04-30-2015, 12:46 AM

1Q: A starts A finishes +1
2Q: B starts A finishes 0
3Q: B starts A finishes 0
4Q: A starts A finishes +1

Unless im missing something, how does finishing quarters not give you extra possessions at the end of the game?

AussieG
04-30-2015, 12:53 AM
:facepalm

One of the more retarded topics I've ever read on here.

rule1223 has probably already summed it up but yeah.

You're acting like the other team automatically gets the ball at the start of a new quarter. They don't.

They jump ball at the start and whoever wins, gets it again to start the 4th. The other team gets it in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

So it's possible to run the clock down at the end of the quarter, get the final possession and then start the next quarter with the ball again.

Same reason why they do "two for one's". Two for one's are good as long as you don't jack up a bad shot and airball or something. With a player like Curry, you can easily do it because he makes those sort of shots all the time. It's not worth risking an airballed 3, but extra possession's are always good.

All the teams just do this stuff out of habit, but also because there is reason to do so. Shouldn't take 3 pages for you to be able to see it.

No one can be this stupid, you must be trolling.

nba_55
04-30-2015, 12:55 AM
1Q: A starts A finishes +1
2Q: B starts A finishes 0
3Q: B starts A finishes 0
4Q: A starts A finishes +1

Unless im missing something, how does finishing quarters not give you extra possessions at the end of the game?

Thanks for proving me wrong. It makes sense now. At best scenario, a team can have 2 more possessions than the other team by finishing each quarter with the ball. In my head, it was 1 more possession at best scenario.

nba_55
04-30-2015, 12:59 AM
:facepalm

One of the more retarded topics I've ever read on here.

rule1223 has probably already summed it up but yeah.

You're acting like the other team automatically gets the ball at the start of a new quarter. They don't.

They jump ball at the start and whoever wins, gets it again to start the 4th. The other team gets it in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

So it's possible to run the clock down at the end of the quarter, get the final possession and then start the next quarter with the ball again.

Same reason why they do "two for one's". Two for one's are good as long as you don't jack up a bad shot and airball or something. With a player like Curry, you can easily do it because he makes those sort of shots all the time. It's not worth risking an airballed 3, but extra possession's are always good.

All the teams just do this stuff out of habit, but also because there is reason to do so. Shouldn't take 3 pages for you to be able to see it.

No one can be this stupid, you must be trolling.

I just needed to see it mathematically, rule1223 did it.

Real14
04-30-2015, 01:01 AM
Yeah, you probably mean ***** as in CATS. I really doubt you've gotten the real thing considering how dumb you are. Also, SaltyMeatballs is just a username I chose to have. It has nothing to do with how I behave/act in real life.

Niguh Im smarter than u, don't be fooled my niguh:oldlol: You just wish that I get no puhcee bro and you still didn't answer my question:lol Straight man will never call himself SaltyMeatballs regardless man, try again:oldlol:

Real14
04-30-2015, 01:02 AM
not a surprise hes a bran stan:roll:
Hell yea:roll:

Hittin_Shots
04-30-2015, 01:05 AM
I just needed to see it mathematically, rule1223 did it.

Can you understand why everyone else reading this thread now thinks your quite unintelligent now then?

PsychoBe
04-30-2015, 01:07 AM
literally no one can take this guy seriously anymore :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mr. Jabbar
04-30-2015, 01:08 AM
"no such thing as a stupid question" proved wrong i kid

nba_55
04-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Can you understand why everyone else reading this thread now thinks your quite unintelligent now then?

Yeah, and I don't mind it. I learned something new and that's all that matters.

Detroit
04-30-2015, 01:09 AM
:cheers:

Real14
Yeah, and I don't mind it. I learned something new and that's all that matters.
:coleman:

nba_55
literally no one can take this guy seriously anymore :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dude, I am about to become a dentist, one question doesn't make a person.

EwingMan
04-30-2015, 01:41 AM
lets confine the game to 2s. lets say i'm the rockets and i have possession with 24 secs left in the quarter, coming off a made basket. lets say i have harden who can iso at a value of .8 points per possession (making 40% of his shots). i also can run a play, which for simplicity sake will take off half the clock. lets say an optimal rockets play nets 1.1 points per possession (shooting a hot 55%).

if harden iso's and kills the clock, we have an expected value of +.8 or

EV(1) = 1*.8 - 0

we get an expected .8 ppp, and opponent has no chance to score, for a net of +.8.

now, if we run a play, lets consider that we have a TO probability of .1, of a miss p=.35, and a make p=.55. our opponents have a ppp of 1.3 on TO fastbreaks, and lets just say on our miss or make, that they will only have time to run their iso play, but they have the artist formally known as kobe iso-ing at .6 ppp.

thus:

EV(2)= 1.1 - (.1*1.3 +.9*.6) = .43

we expect to score 1.1 points, but our opponents will score an expected .67; our net value is just +.43 points.

obviously ev1 > ev2. this wouldn't hold for all values (can you imagine a situation in which it might be beneficial to run a play? probably when our iso value is much less, and our playmaking value is much greater), but i think this example demonstrates a general rule of thumb.

and again, the initial possession to start the next quarter is independent of who had the final possession the previous quarter, so don't confuse yourself. it doesn't matter how many possessions that have come previously, at the margin at the end of a quarter, it would almost always be preferable to have the last (full) possession.

http://www.webtvwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/QED-logo.JPG

EwingMan
04-30-2015, 01:51 AM
looks like everyone already figured it out...

Dude, I am about to become a dentist, one question doesn't make a person.

http://storage11.gear3rd.com/files/thumbs/2014/04/12/13973304531bcc0-original-1.jpg