PDA

View Full Version : is Kobe the best shooter all time

zay_24
04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
He holds the record for most 3s in a game and spent his whole prime getting tripled teamed. Yet still would hit 25 foot shots on the regular. Would still drop 50 with the whole team guarding him. If he was just a spot up shooter n defense wasn't designed to stop him he would have the highest shooting percentage in nba history

Hit_Em
yes....yes he is

Lebron23
Best Volume Shooter.

SouBeachTalents
04-29-2015, 09:35 PM
A dude who's never shot 47% in a season is certainly not the best "shooter" of all time

dazzer87
Yes bess ever......:applause:

the_troof
http://i.imgur.com/lCwIvTm.png cuts off but field goals missed

zay_24
04-29-2015, 09:38 PM
A dude who's never shot 47% in a season is certainly not the best "shooter" of all time
He's been triple teamed his whole career n takes shots No one else will take. Kobes true shooting % is around 54-57%

nba_55
04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
:yaohappy:

Good one!

Mr. Jabbar
04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
81 points in a single game, yes he is.

Lensanity
04-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Arguably top 300

nba_55
04-29-2015, 09:41 PM
I would have to go with Wilt as #1. 100 points in a game, yes he is clearly the best shooter.

Budadiiii
04-29-2015, 09:44 PM
No...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PKTH9Unl9uo/hqdefault.jpg

This naked mole rat is. :lol

lilandywiggins
04-29-2015, 09:47 PM
What is this shit?

lilandywiggins
04-29-2015, 09:48 PM
No...

:roll:

Nick Young
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
he's basically the best baller of all time. Easily the best shooter of all time. Regularly scores shots that for him are routine, but for any other player would be considered a career highlight.:bowdown:

Nick Young
04-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Kobe was regularly triple teamed throughout his prime. You try shooting over 47% with 3 NBA athletes guarding you.

GTFO:facepalm

G0ATbe
04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
People still try and mock Kobe's FG%:lol ? He made a living off of taking and making endless tough shots. 45-47% is absolutely incredible and unheard of.

Look at LeBald for example, usually takes maybe 1 or 2 WIDE OPEN jumpshots a game, 15-20 dunks and layups and he was only able to shoot 1% better than Lordbe this season:roll: .

Marchesk
04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Jerry West in the chucking 60s as a guard shot 47.4%. Kobe is at 45.1% in the efficient era.

Random_Guy
04-29-2015, 10:17 PM
kobe is actually a really good shooter tbh, maybe not top 10 all time but he is underrated because of how good his scoring ability is in general

Hittin_Shots
04-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Perimeter players getting triple teamed leaves 2 players open.. why's he still taking the shots..

Cold soul
04-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Kobe is a great shooter yes but not one of the greatest in that department. Sorry but their is dozens of pure shooters that were better.

Fudge
04-29-2015, 10:41 PM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130309200428/ragecomics/images/5/55/Tobey-Maguire-Stupid-Face.jpg

24-Inch_Chrome
04-29-2015, 10:41 PM
http://i.giphy.com/O5NyCibf93upy.gif

He isn't even close.

Cold soul
04-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Kobe really does have some of dumbest fans on the planet. Sadly few of his hardcore stans give us a bad name Kobetards.

J Shuttlesworth
04-29-2015, 11:52 PM
There's no doubt that he is a better pure shooter than Jordan, and also more skilled. Kobe with MJ's athleticism would be >>>>>>> Jordan i'm just posting this so 3ball bites

inclinerator
04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
he is one of the best yes, his only weakness is catch and shoot and even then it wasnt that bad

the only knock on him is he doesnt shoot that well in the finals

Round Mound
04-30-2015, 12:38 AM
That would be pre-alcohol prime Chris Mullin

COnDEMnED
04-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Perimeter players getting triple teamed leaves 2 players open.. why's he still taking the shots..
Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker and Luke Walton. I wouldn't pass either.

sportjames23
04-30-2015, 01:23 AM
He's been triple teamed his whole career n takes shots No one else will take. Kobes true shooting % is around 54-57%

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sportjames23
04-30-2015, 01:23 AM
There's no doubt that he is a better pure shooter than Jordan, and also more skilled. Kobe with MJ's athleticism would be >>>>>>> Jordan i'm just posting this so 3ball bites

Edit: You got me. LOL

Lakers Legend#32
04-30-2015, 01:25 AM
Not during the last 3-4 years.

Prometheus
04-30-2015, 01:34 AM
No. Not even close. Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitski, Kevin Durant, Paul Pierce on his best day, and a host of others are better shooters even within the category of very-good-to-great modern-era scorers.

Then if you look at all modern-era players, you get Peja Stojokovic, Kyle Korver, Danny Green, and tons of other pure shooters who are role players that are all better shooters than him.

If I took the time to sit down and come up with a list, I could probably name at least 50 NBA players that have been better shooters just since 2002.

The thing is, Kobe is a better basketball player than any one of those 50 guys.

Droid101
04-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Most made difficult shots in the history of the league. Pretty obvious.

PhutureDynasty
04-30-2015, 01:44 AM
No. Not even close. Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitski, Kevin Durant, Paul Pierce on his best day, and a host of others are better shooters even within the category of very-good-to-great modern-era scorers.

Then if you look at all modern-era players, you get Peja Stojokovic, Kyle Korver, Danny Green, and tons of other pure shooters who are role players that are all better shooters than him.

If I took the time to sit down and come up with a list, I could probably name at least 50 NBA players that have been better shooters just since 2002.

^ This. Kobe is better than all of them but there are better pure shooters than him. I'd add Steph Curry to the modern-era list as well (he may go down as the GOAT shooter).

Underrated shooter as well is Steve Nash.

bizil
04-30-2015, 01:46 AM
When I think of the best shooters, I think FIRST of guys who have this combination:

- 50-40-90 kind of shooters

- Threats to win a three point shootout

- Very good to great scorers

So when u look at it like that Bird, Steph Curry, Ray Ray, Dirk, Peja, Durant, Reggie, Nash and Mark Price fit that bill the most. And I gotta throw Jerry West in there too because he was CLEARLY an epic shooter. They just didn't have the three point line in his era.

TheMarkMadsen
04-30-2015, 01:55 AM
People such as Dirk, Ray, Miller all barely have better FG% than Kobe who was constantly taking more shots while being focused on more by the defense

yet on ISH these guys are praised as gods for their FG% and Kobe is berated, dat double standard

Playoffs FG%

Dirk: 46%

Ray: 44%

Miller: 45%

Kobe: 45%

livinglegend
04-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Kobe trolls are dumb and boring.
Not a good combination.

Droid101
04-30-2015, 02:29 AM
People such as Dirk, Ray, Miller all barely have better FG% than Kobe who was constantly taking more shots while being focused on more by the defense

yet on ISH these guys are praised as gods for their FG% and Kobe is berated, dat double standard

Playoffs FG%

Dirk: 46%

Ray: 44%

Miller: 45%

Kobe: 45%
:eek:

Nick Young
04-30-2015, 05:13 AM

None of those players were regularly triple teamed all game long like Kobe was.:facepalm Did you even watch these players or are you just quoting stats?:facepalm

KembaWalker
04-30-2015, 05:18 AM
Javaris Crittenton>Kobe imo

VengefulAngel
04-30-2015, 05:21 AM
I would take Steph Curry at 18 years old over Kobe in shooting.

AirFederer
04-30-2015, 05:28 AM
Yes yes, no doubt he is. :bowdown:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-ouf9RyA33A/hqdefault.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--IRhJHTeV--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/18j55ycej4jqijpg.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmZ3qzt8mM&feature=player_embedded

3ball
04-30-2015, 05:49 AM
Jerry West said MJ was the best jumpshooter:

Jerry West: "I've seen some incredible players," West says. "I mean, the Lakers had some incredible players--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson--and it's awful to say, but Michael Jordan is the best player I've ever seen.

"People get enamored with his spectacular physical presence, but his skill level . . . if his skill level wasn't that good, he'd be another guy who you'd see on the highlight films a lot, but he wouldn't have been thought of as maybe the greatest player that ever played the game. Right now, I don't know who's a better jump-shooter."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-12/magazine/tm-3107_1_michael-jordan/4

Ron Artest: "Jordan was the toughest (to guard out of Kobe, Lebron, MJ) because he's as strong as Lebron, he shoots as good as Reggie Miller from the mid-range, and because he's tough. He's a killer out there on the court."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dXZxj6Zbc&t=0m57s

Does Kobe have Jerry West of all people, saying he's the greatest jumpshooter in the game?.. Does Kobe have DPOY Ron Artest saying he shoots "like Reggie Miller"?

sportjames23
04-30-2015, 06:04 AM
No...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

JohnFreeman
04-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Hell no

Nowitness
04-30-2015, 06:11 AM

Tripled team whilst playing alongside the most dominant player over the past 25 years for the first 3rd of his career :roll: :roll: :roll:

SwayDizzle
04-30-2015, 06:30 AM
The type of attention Kobe got defensively is similar to MDE Shaq. However, Kobe is a threat from anywhere on the court unlike Shaq. Kobe getting triple teamed and still draining buckets like an open spot up shooter. Kobe def has an argument for best shooter/scorer of all time.

coin24
04-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Kobe top5 goat, most handsome player in the league:bowdown:

Lebron23 meltdown:lol Kobe is being mentioned more than current "prime" LeBaldo

ImKobe
04-30-2015, 06:38 AM
unquestionably.

No other shooter in NBA history had as much confidence in his shot as Kobe did. He'd shoot jumpers from half court as confidently as Ray Allen would shoot a wide open 3 off a screen.

Dragonyeuw
04-30-2015, 07:38 AM
He's been triple teamed his whole career n takes shots No one else will take.

I wonder if you realize that's not exactly a compliment. Kobe absolutely should be a career 49% shooter if not for an overabundance of 'shots noone one else will take'. Its why not only did MJ score more over his career on better effieciency, but even Kobe's modern day contemporaries like Wade and Lebron produced similar volume on better percentages while having unquestionably inferior shooting strokes. Its why Durant is a significantly more effiecient scorer on high volume.

Good shot selection isnt era- specific, and out of the truly elite perimetet scorers, Kobes lower percentages due to worse shot selection, and that being glorified and put on a pedastal, is a poor argument.

SwayDizzle
04-30-2015, 07:47 AM
I wonder if you realize that's not exactly a compliment. Kobe absolutely should be a career 49% shooter if not for an overabundance of 'shots noone one else will take'. Its why not only did MJ score more over his career on better effieciency, but even Kobe's modern day contemporaries like Wade and Lebron produced similar volume on better percentages while having unquestionably inferior shooting strokes. Its why Durant is a significantly more effiecient scorer on high volume.

Good shot selection isnt era- specific, and out of the truly elite perimetet scorers, Kobes lower percentages due to worse shot selection, and that being glorified and put on a pedastal, is a poor argument.
MJ hasn't scored more than Kobe over his career. MJ did it on better efficiency but the difference is marginal. If MVP Durant could sustain his level of production over enough years, he has the potential to surpass Kobe as greatest scorer. However, that is looking less likely after Durant's injury.

ImKobe
04-30-2015, 07:55 AM

That's not the reason, LOL. MJ, Lebron and Wade are far more athletic and have the ability to get to the rim and finish through contact much easier than Kobe ever did...which is why they take less jump shots and get more easy opportunities inside.

Kobe got the most out of his body, he had 30+ ppg seasons/post-seasons/Finals while mostly shooting contested jump shots, and he won 5 rings and went to more Finals than Jordan as a result.

His career would have looked MUCH better if he actually had a team around him from 05-08... The 08 Lakers he carried to the Finals were a damn joke.

Kobe 30/6/6/2 on 48% shooting

2nd option - Pau 17/9/4 on 53% shooting
3rd option - Odom 14/10 on 49% shooting

Fisher 10 ppg 2 apg on 45% shooting
Vlad Rad 8 ppg on 44% shooting

bench? what bench? back-up PG farmar averaged 6 ppg 1 apg on 38% shooting

but Lebron gets praised for leading a team through the weak east and choking on Spurs' **** in 07 with a similar roster.

Dragonyeuw
04-30-2015, 08:03 AM
MJ hasn't scored more than Kobe over his career. MJ did it on better efficiency but the difference is marginal. .

Obviously not in terms of total numbers. But comparing percentages, post Shaq Kobe was like 29ppg on 46% shooting. MJ as a bull was 32ppg on 50%. Hobbling around as a wizard dropped his career numbers to 30 on 49%. A difference of 3 ppg on 4 percentage points adds up over hundreds of games, if thats what you deem marginal. It still doesnt change the fact that Kobe shot selection is why hes a career 46% shooter. That number is too low for a player of his skill and ability.

Dragonyeuw
04-30-2015, 08:21 AM
That's not the reason, LOL. MJ, Lebron and Wade are far more athletic and have the ability to get to the rim and finish through contact much easier than Kobe ever did...which is why they take less jump shots and get more easy opportunities inside.

So for every 25 foot 3pointer taken with 10 seconds on the shot clock, or shooting with 3 defenders in his face was due to lack of driving and finishing ability. Got it.

Nonsense. Kobes mid range shooting and postgame alone would have netted him higher career percentages had he opted to take less shots that noone else takes. Also, Kobe is one of the great slashers, he cetainly was not several tiers below athletically to where it necessitated much more long range shooting.

plowking
04-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Best shooter, yes. He took the most shots.

Shame about his aiming though.

SourSamCassell
04-30-2015, 10:06 AM

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2015, 10:07 AM

ISHGoat
04-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Kobe is one of the best tough-shot makers. He also takes the most tough-shots, which is why he holds the missed FG record.

Nash
04-30-2015, 10:28 AM
especially all of those 7 years with shaq

VengefulAngel
04-30-2015, 10:29 AM

GOAT comment.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Solefade
04-30-2015, 10:33 AM

:oldlol: :oldlol:

dh144498
04-30-2015, 11:08 AM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130309200428/ragecomics/images/5/55/Tobey-Maguire-Stupid-Face.jpg

:lol

Dragonyeuw
04-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Kobe is one of the best tough-shot makers. He also takes the most tough-shots, which is why he holds the missed FG record.
Yep, takes the most dumb shots, by virtue of this he makes the most. Kind of a selffulfilling prophecy if you will...

24-Inch_Chrome
04-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Jordan.

No one cares. :confusedshrug:

Neither is even close to the GOAT shooter title.

3ball
04-30-2015, 03:58 PM

MJ received the highest praise about his shooting from Jerry West (all-time shooter) and DPOY Ron Artest:

Jerry West: "I've seen some incredible players," West says. "I mean, the Lakers had some incredible players--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson--and it's awful to say, but Michael Jordan is the best player I've ever seen.

"People get enamored with his spectacular physical presence, but his skill level . . . if his skill level wasn't that good, he'd be another guy who you'd see on the highlight films a lot, but he wouldn't have been thought of as maybe the greatest player that ever played the game. Right now, I don't know who's a better jump-shooter."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-12/magazine/tm-3107_1_michael-jordan/4

Ron Artest: "Jordan was the toughest (to guard out of Kobe, Lebron, MJ) because he's as strong as Lebron, he shoots as good as Reggie Miller from the mid-range, and because he's tough. He's a killer out there on the court."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dXZxj6Zbc&t=0m57s

24-Inch_Chrome
04-30-2015, 04:00 PM
No, they're not. Jordan is closer than Kobe though.

Prometheus
04-30-2015, 05:13 PM
I honestly don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that Michael Jordan is the greatest mid range shooter of all time. I haven't personally seen anyone better at it.

Prometheus
04-30-2015, 05:16 PM
None of those players were regularly triple teamed all game long like Kobe was.:facepalm Did you even watch these players or are you just quoting stats?:facepalm

Don't talk to me.

bizil
04-30-2015, 05:39 PM
I honestly don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that Michael Jordan is the greatest mid range shooter of all time. I haven't personally seen anyone better at it.

I agree! In terms of midrange, MJ has a great case as the best midrange shooter of all time. When u thrown in the three ball, I think Steph Curry is gonna be the man. And I gotta give Bird mad respect of popularizing the three ball and really putting it on the map.

Cold soul
04-30-2015, 05:39 PM

Kobe and MJ mid range game is amazing easily two of greatest at that department. I'm not sure which had better mid range game it's super close flip a coin.

Prometheus
04-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Kobe and MJ mid range game is amazing easily two of greatest at that department. I'm not sure which had better mid range game it's super close flip a coin.

I disagree but that's okay. Kobe's mid range game was excellent though. Not gonna knock it. Better than brans for sure :lol

ShawkFactory
04-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Dirk?

Jordan got easier shots because of his quickness but I don't think there's ever been anyone who could consistently knock down high difficulty mid-range jumpers the way Dirk could.

Optimus Prime
04-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Kobe is many things, but he is not the best shooter of all time. He's had such an amazing and adaptive game throughout his career, but I'd never even think of considering him even close to the best shooter. Come on now.

:kobe: