PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Thunder hire Billy Donovan as new Coach

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2015, 12:14 PM
probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/report-thunder-to-announce-hiring-of-billy-donovan/

Fallen Angel
04-30-2015, 12:16 PM
No excuses.

OKC doesn't make the WCF then KD is gone.

Harison
04-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Both superstars will see how Don's coaching works before deciding IMO.

Fudge
04-30-2015, 12:27 PM
http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gifhttp://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gif
http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gifhttp://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gif

Eric Cartman
04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
As long as he doesn't run iso's all game long, they'll be fine.

Barring injuries, finals or bust.

SourSamCassell
04-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Billy who?

Check.

ArbitraryWater
04-30-2015, 12:32 PM
As long as he doesn't run iso's all game long, they'll be fine.

Barring injuries, finals or bust.

I honestly have no clue about him... whats he like? Good? Run plays?

You could tell Brad Stevens was gonna be good... I know Budadiii is hyping him, but they could have hired 'Mama There Goes That Man' and the first thing he would do is hype him, thats his shtick.

midatlantic09
04-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Terrible decision.

Fudge
04-30-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm ****ing excited for next season already.

Holy shit. A competent coach that has a semblance of a playbook. This is refreshing.

:banana:

Confirmed 3peat on the way.

Eric Cartman
04-30-2015, 12:44 PM

You could tell Brad Stevens was gonna be good... I know Budadiii is hyping him, but they could have hired 'Mama There Goes That Man' and the first thing he would do is hype him, thats his shtick.

I may be mistaken here, but his specialty is the pick and roll motion offense.

Hey Yo
04-30-2015, 12:47 PM
"Here's the roster of men who have gone straight from college head coaches to NBA head coaches since the 1993-94 season (* denotes first head NBA job):

Lon Kruger* (Illinois to Atlanta Hawks): 69-122 from 2000-03, no playoffs
Rick Pitino (Kentucky to Boston Celtics) 102-146 from 1997-2001, no playoffs
John Calipari* (UMass to New Jersey Nets): 72-112 from 1996-99, 0-3 in playoffs
Tim Floyd* (Iowa State to Chicago Bulls): 49-190 from 1998-2002, no playoffs
Mike Montgomery* (Stanford to Golden State Warriors): 68-96 from 2004-06, no playoffs
P.J. Carlesimo* (Seton Hall to Portland Trail Blazers): 136-109 from 1994-97, 3-9 in playoffs
Reggie Theus* (New Mexico State to Sacramento Kings): 44-62 from 2007-09, no playoffs
Leonard Hamilton* (Miami Hurricanes to Washington Wizards): 19-63 in 2000-01, no playoffs
The collective record and winning percentage: 559-900 (.383) with a 3-12 playoff record over 22 seasons.

I should note with Pitino that his first NBA job, with the Knicks in the late 1980s, led to a 90-74 record over two seasons, with two playoff appearances. That tenure ended when the lure of Kentucky pulled him away from Manhattan."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22626163/college-coaches-to-nba-how-theyve-faired-the-past-20-years

SOD 21
04-30-2015, 12:54 PM
And how many of those college coaches that struggled took over an elite team with two top six players entering their prime and a stacked roster that should be at least a top three or four team heading into next season?

Most college coaches do not get these type of pristine opportunities with an elite team and elite players, which is why it would be stupid if Billy Donovan somehow turns this opportunity down.

brandonislegend
04-30-2015, 01:06 PM
I think this guy is a better recruiter than coach.......

iamgine
04-30-2015, 01:09 PM
And how many of those college coaches that struggled took over an elite team with two top six players entering their prime and a stacked roster that should be at least a top three or four team heading into next season?

Most college coaches do not get these type of pristine opportunities with an elite team and elite players, which is why it would be stupid if Billy Donovan somehow turns this opportunity down.
If he sucks he can always go back to coach in college anyways so it's basically risk free for him.

hawksdogsbraves
04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
I think this guy is a better recruiter than coach.......

Idk about that, two seasons ago the Gators were ranked number one for most of the year and were the favorites to win it all, and had virtually no NBA talent on the roster.

poido123
04-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Billy who?

Check.

:roll:

lilandywiggins
04-30-2015, 01:20 PM
In before he changes his mind.

jimmybball
04-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Good hire :applause:

IncarceratedBob
04-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Rumors are that Al Horford wants to play for his college coach, says Donovan is like a 2nd father to him. Scary once OKC gets him

Xoush
04-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Is he good? Can LeGM get him?

Fudge
04-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 11m11 minutes ago
Billy Donovan is signing a five-year contract with the Thunder, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

It's official, mother****ers. 3peat on the way.

jayfan
04-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Risky move for a team ready to win now.

IncarceratedBob
04-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Risky move for a team ready to win now.

What's so risky about hiring one of the smartest minds in the basketball world with the ability to manage egos and recruit elite NBA talent. Al Horford will demand a trade to the Thunder this offseason likely because of this hire. That's huge.

hawksdogsbraves
04-30-2015, 01:38 PM
What's so risky about hiring one of the smartest minds in the basketball world with the ability to manage egos and recruit elite NBA talent. Al Horford will demand a trade to the Thunder this offseason likely because of this hire. That's huge.

Alright, I guess we'll take Westbrook for him. You might have to throw in a pick to sweeten the deal though.

jayfan
04-30-2015, 01:39 PM

There's always a risk when a college coach transitions to the pros for the first time. Donovan's mentor Petino fit your description, as well. Not saying he can't do it, but we don't know, and OKC's window isn't staying open forever.

TylerOO
04-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Never heard of him :roll:

Clyde
04-30-2015, 01:49 PM

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Billy Donovan is arguably the greatest leader in sports history...

I wish people would keep their idiotic opinions to themselves..

Anyone who doesn't think this is a fantastic move is A ****ING RETARD. Just people who don't understand life.

Stop bringing up other coaches who failed at the NBA level. You can't "fail" with Durant/Westbrook. If you don't trust Billy Donovan to get OKC over the hump then you really don't understand people. Can't distinguish who's great and who's not, so you people might as well just not post because most of you are socially rejected losers.

J Shuttlesworth
04-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Love injured, Spurs winning, Perkins off OKC, new head coach for OKC..

I'm officially on suicide watch

poido123
04-30-2015, 02:12 PM

Anyone who doesn't think this is a fantastic move is A ****ING RETARD. Just people who don't understand life.

Stop bringing up other coaches who failed at the NBA level. You can't "fail" with Durant/Westbrook. If you don't trust Billy Donovan to get OKC over the hump then you really don't understand people. Can't distinguish who's great and who's not, so you people might as well just not post because most of you are socially rejected losers.

OKC loses in the first round, KD leaves.

Budadii: fire Donovan!

Fudge
04-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Can't distinguish who's great and who's not, so you people might as well just not post because most of you are socially rejected losers.

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:15 PM
OKC loses in the first round, KD leaves.

Budadii: fire Donovan!
That won't happen!

People like Billy Donovan don't fail. You understand that? There's 0% he fails in OKC.

Billy is now one us. We snatched the greatest coach in America! :bowdown: :applause: :banana:

Welcome to OKC Billy!!!!!!!!! Gonna be a pleasure winning championships with this man. :cheers:

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Love injured, Spurs winning, Perkins off OKC, new head coach for OKC..

I'm officially on suicide watch

OKC missing the playoffs was a blessing in disguise. Presti is GOD.

Best GM in the world... best coach in the world.... best player in the world....

ALL IN THEIR PRIMES. OKC IS AT THE TOP OF THE SPORTING WORLD FOR THE NEXT DECADE!

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:30 PM

I would've killed myself if we hired Mark Jackson. I ****ing HATE that guy. He sucks as a leader.

I've admired Donovan from afar for some time... to the point where I'm SHAKING right now because I know what this hire entails..

ring after ring after ring after ring after....

ring.

I have more trust in Billy than I do anyone on this planet. Just wait and see the MAGIC he works in my hometown.

Cocaine80s
04-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Who the **** is Billy Donovan? :oldlol:

Stay losing okc, Cleveland will take Durant in 2016 :banana:

GimmeThat
04-30-2015, 02:36 PM
He should hire Patrick Ewing as an assistant,
Possibly Avery Johnson on a long list of coach

Doubt that Mike Dunleavy would be a personality match
But Stan Van Gundy would have easily taken the cake.

If Monty Williams gets canned tho.

dazzer87
04-30-2015, 02:36 PM

so no more excuses snitch boy.....?

jayfan
04-30-2015, 02:37 PM
He should hire Patrick Ewing as an assistant,
Possibly Avery Johnson on a long list of coach

Doubt that Mike Dunleavy would be a personality match
But Stan Van Gundy would have easily taken the cake.

If Monty Williams gets canned tho.

What?

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:38 PM
so no more excuses snitch boy.....?
You bet your sweet ass!

OKC is now the prohibited favorite for the next 3-10 years

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Everyone go read up on Billy and watch his interviews

Soak in the aura and greatness. Soak in the leadership. Get well acquainted with a guy who will be known as the only coach in history to win multiple championships in both the NCAA and the NBA. Move over Larry!

He'll go down as the greatest coach EVER. Ever.

Fudge
04-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Everyone go read up on Billy and watch his interviews

Soak in the aura and greatness. Soak in the leadership. Get well acquainted with a guy who will be known as the only coach in history to win multiple championships in both the NCAA and the NBA. Move over Larry!

He'll go down as the greatest coach EVER. Ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNyIXDmFIY

YES! Exactly. Guy also has that Vegeta hairline. That always has to count for something.

Not to mention, dude is not a let up. He's the type to get on your ass (no homo) when you **** up, who is actually PERFECT for a player like Russy. He's going to make him the greatest point guard to ever touch an NBA ball. He'll make Durant a top 5 player of all-time.

Oh man. I'm excited!

SugarHill
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM

YES! Exactly. Guy also has that Vegeta hairline. That always has to count for something.

Not to mention, dude is not a let up. He's the type to get on your ass (no homo) when you **** up, who is actually PERFECT for a player like Russy. He's going to make him the greatest point guard to ever touch an NBA ball. He'll make Durant a top 5 player of all-time.

Oh man. I'm excited!

GOATbrook will Spreewell his ass

the_troof
04-30-2015, 02:49 PM

OKC missing the playoffs was a blessing in disguise. Presti is GOD.

Best GM in the world... best coach in the world.... best player in the world....

ALL IN THEIR PRIMES. OKC IS AT THE TOP OF THE SPORTING WORLD FOR THE NEXT DECADE!
LOL donovan got outcoached by the best college coach in america in the final four, who KD wanted instead of him anyways
Still think its a good hire tho, since the Celts won't be competitive next year and itll be just the Cavs and Warrios, I hope he delivers OKC a title

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:51 PM

Oh man. I'm excited!
His team was number 1 with NO NBA players...

And people act like he DOESN'T get the most out of talent?

Listen to the way he COMMANDS the room... Jesus Christ...

Scott Brooks couldn't command an elementary flag football team.... OKC went from worst coach of all time to potentially best in a matter of WEEKS.

And the vegeta thing does actually count for a lot. He's a good looking guy. He's a great representation of the OKC Thunder and the state of Oklahoma in general.

What a fantastic day.

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:54 PM
LOL donovan got outcoached by the best college coach in america in the final four, who KD wanted instead of him anyways
Still think its a good hire tho, since the Celts won't be competitive next year and itll be just the Cavs and Warrios, I hope he delivers OKC a title
That UCONN team had way more talent...

And I'd much rather have a white guy than a black dude. So there you go.

SugarHill
04-30-2015, 02:55 PM

http://static1.bustaflash.com/funnystuff/gifs/legithandshake.gif

Fudge
04-30-2015, 02:55 PM

Yep. Are there even any successful black coaches currently in the NBA? I can't think of any.

Whites have a better basketball mind compared to negro coaches. I can admit that.

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Yep. Are there even any successful black coaches currently in the NBA? I can't think of any.

Whites have a better basketball mind compared to negro coaches. I can admit that.
Yeah, not a racial comment from me at all. I'm black.

Like you said, black dudes aren't even close to as successful as whites. I just like the dynamic of a white guy leading a predominantly black team. Just works.

Billy Donovan is the prototypical head coach you see in movies like Hoosiers and Glory Road. This guy LIVES and BREATHES ball.

GimmeThat
04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
What?

He can figure out the back court situation, or hire someone for analyzation plus personnel developement.

The Gators offense at the professional level isnt going to be enough. Even if you took a page out of Bo Ryan to have your pg keep the turnover low, you still cant get away with the players/personnel mismatch at a more dramatic level.

I guess that's just how I feel about the NBA 3 point line.

the_troof
04-30-2015, 03:01 PM

That UCONN team did not have more talent.. Florida only lost 3 games all season.. two to the huskies

Fudge
04-30-2015, 03:02 PM
This guy LIVES and BREATHES ball.
And you know who else lives and breathes ball? Kevin Durant.

What a perfect combination. You can already tell that these two ALONE will translate into championships.

Phil and Michael 2.0

Fudge
04-30-2015, 03:03 PM
That UCONN team did not have more talent.. Florida only lost 3 games all season.. two to the huskies
Because they were more talented. :hammerhead:

Jesus Christ. Is there an inservice at the mental institute today?

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 03:05 PM
BECAUSE of Donovan..

How many NBA players did that Florida team have?

In hindsight, that season just makes Billy look that much better. Imagine what this guy is gonna do with Durant/Westbrook..

scary.

the_troof
04-30-2015, 03:06 PM
BECAUSE of Donovan..

How many NBA players did that Florida team have?

In hindsight, that season just makes Billy look that much better. Imagine what this guy is gonna do with Durant/Westbrook..

scary.
only nba player Uconn had was napier lol Daniels is in Australia now

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 03:08 PM
And you know who else lives and breathes ball? Kevin Durant.

What a perfect combination. You can already tell that these two ALONE will translate into championships.

Phil and Michael 2.0
Auerbach/Russell

Riley/Magic

Jackson/Jordan

Donovan/Durant

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 03:10 PM
only nba player Uconn had was napier lol Daniels is in Australia now
We gonna act like Boatright wasn't better than anyone on Florida?

Fudge
04-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Auerbach/Russell

Riley/Magic

Jackson/Jordan

Donovan/Durant
http://i.imgur.com/U8INyfB.gif

Budadiiii
04-30-2015, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/U8INyfB.gif
http://i.imgur.com/oEgT99H.gif

Cold soul
04-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Great hire. Donovan is new to NBA game so there will be learning curve for him but I think he will do well. Good job OKC.

kamil
04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Bubbles got fired?!

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/bubbles.jpg

tomtucker
05-01-2015, 03:28 AM
how is he gonna handle westbrooks ego and shot jacking ?

Im Still Ballin
05-01-2015, 03:33 AM
how is he gonna handle westbrooks ego and shot jacking ?
tommy whats good my bro!

UK2K
05-01-2015, 04:06 AM
Much better coach than recruiter.

tomtucker
05-01-2015, 04:14 AM
tommy whats good my bro!
my negro.......:cheers:

tomtucker
05-01-2015, 04:15 AM

who is coach recruiter ? never heard of the fukker , was his name not brooks ?

KyrieTheFuture
05-01-2015, 12:19 PM
So when this inevitably fails I look forward to this bump

Budadiiii
05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
This guy actually knows what he's talking about. Good poster.

Lakers Legend#32
05-01-2015, 06:28 PM
OKC has to hire a college coach because no coach with NBA experience wants to move to that out house of a village.

Fudge
05-01-2015, 06:29 PM
OKC has to hire a college coach because no coach with NBA experience wants to move to that out house of a village.
http://mummysecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/baby-crying.jpg

Budadiiii
05-01-2015, 06:43 PM
http://mummysecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/baby-crying.jpg

Lakers Legend 32 is the worst poster in ISH history. He's butthurt OKC stole his team so the whole Lakers thing is just a cover up for his miserable fandom. He's not even a Lakers fan. :lol

I'd be mad too if I was a fat 40 year old virgin AND my favorite sports team got stolen away. Sad existence for the poor negro.