PDA

View Full Version : Manu appreciation thread one of the best SGs ever

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-03-2015, 06:40 PM
hes done. he was fantastic last season arguably the spurs most important player but he wasnt the same. Hes one of the GOAT SGs and the best passer ever @ SG................he was talkin to Danny alot after they took the L to CP3 im sure that was the last game he plays

dubeta
05-03-2015, 06:42 PM
shouldve won the 05 FMVP imo

Done_And_Done
05-03-2015, 06:43 PM
After a terrible finals series against the Heat in 2013 he completely redeemed himself last year with more manu'esq play. Nothing but respect for Gino...

Dr Hawk
05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yty97KQXNpw

:bowdown:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
shouldve won the 05 FMVP imo
05 for sure. 13 is arguable as well Spurs offense w/ Manu on the court VS off was gigantic. He was easily their best offensive player and the reason they were dominant on that end. Spurs offense this season wasnt the same

dubeta
05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
05 for sure. 13 is arguable as well Spurs offense w/ Manu on the court VS off was gigantic. He was easily their best offensive player and the reason they were dominant on that end. Spurs offense this season wasnt the same

True

Ironic each Spurs team had a different best player

99- Robinson

03- Duncan

05- Manu

07- Parker

14- Kawhi

And ppl wanna act like it was all Duncan :oldlol:

Spurs m8
05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Great player, great game, great for bball having guys that think on the court like him.

He's done but yes, thanks for the mmrs!

mehyaM24
05-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Great player, great game, great for bball having guys that think on the court like him.

He's done but yes, thanks for the mmrs!
:applause:

this. manu is a ****ing legend. the spurs' highest impact player (offensively) since they started winning titles in the 2000s.

robert_shaww
05-03-2015, 11:27 PM
hall of famer.

true legend

ChrisKreager
05-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Great role player, did his part well, capable of igniting hot streaks.

I wish he had retired last year- our last memory of him should have been the dunk on Bosh instead of seeing him deteroriate at times this year save for a few threes in game 7.

Should have been the 2005 Finals MVP.

TheMarkMadsen
05-03-2015, 11:57 PM
averaged 20/5/5 off the bench in 08,

averaged 21/6/5 on 51% in the 05 playoffs

Smoke117
05-04-2015, 12:00 AM
averaged 20/5/5 off the bench in 08,

averaged 21/6/5 on 51% in the 05 playoffs

He played 31mpg...that is not bench minutes. It was all by design so lets not act like because he came off the bench that he some kind of 6-9 man.

TheMarkMadsen
05-04-2015, 12:02 AM
He played 31mpg...that is not bench minutes. It was all by design so lets not act like because he came off the bench that he some kind of 6-9 man.

9 of the last 10 6th men of the year have played 30+ MPG, so yes those are bench minutes for the 6th man, which is what Manu was and everybody knows that, nobody has him confused for the 8th man..

JimmyMcAdocious
05-04-2015, 12:33 AM
He could have gone to some other team and get paid majorly as a #1 option. You can argue if his body would have held up, but athletes don't think like that. You can't play with the thought of getting injured if you hit some arbitrary number of minutes over the course of the 4 or 5 year contract length. And certainly more money almost always comes to play. Respect for staying loyal to his team and it obviously paid off both ways.

Additionally, I always thought starting was overrated. What's the difference if you come in at the 8 minute mark and play 36 mpg vs starting and playing 36 mpg? It's about when you play and chances are if you are playing that many minutes, you are in the game when it matters most. Ginobili seemed to understand that concept, so nice to see an allstar talent not bitch about something so irrelevant for once.

And finally, Ginobili has some traits that normally piss me off on other players. He's an all time level flopper on both ends and he would really take stupid chances when his team didn't need him to. Both as a passer and a shooter. But like Brett Favre, who I think he's analogous to as an athlete, he was inexplicably entertaining to watch and extremely likeable, even with those two traits being fundamental to his game. He just has that animal magnetism.

Needless to say, I'm a fan. Happy he got to atone for his **** up in 2013 and took advantage of the opportunity the subsequent season.

bizil
05-04-2015, 12:56 AM
In the all around game sense, Manu is arguably a top 10 SG of all time peak wise. At his best, he could literally do ANYTHING on the basketball court very good to great. He was very versatile capable of playing PG, SG, and SF. His total scoring skillset was SICK too! And a lot of that was done during the Golden Era of SG's.

The only difference between Manu and some of those legends was DOMINANCE!! He wasn't as dominant as guys AI, Kobe, Wade, Vince, or T Mac. GOAT wise, I wouldn't put Manu in the top 10 SG's. He's more in the 15-20 range in that regard. As great as Manu was, I think his durability hurt him from greater heights. Pop knew this and was masterful using Manu the way he did. Manu only averaged 30 minutes or more a game twice in his career.

bizil
05-04-2015, 01:08 AM
He could have gone to some other team and get paid majorly as a #1 option. You can argue if his body would have held up, but athletes don't think like that. You can't play with the thought of getting injured if you hit some arbitrary number of minutes over the course of the 4 or 5 year contract length. And certainly more money almost always comes to play. Respect for staying loyal to his team and it obviously paid off both ways.

Additionally, I always thought starting was overrated. What's the difference if you come in at the 8 minute mark and play 36 mpg vs starting and playing 36 mpg? It's about when you play and chances are if you are playing that many minutes, you are in the game when it matters most. Ginobili seemed to understand that concept, so nice to see an allstar talent not bitch about something so irrelevant for once.

And finally, Ginobili has some traits that normally piss me off on other players. He's an all time level flopper on both ends and he would really take stupid chances when his team didn't need him to. Both as a passer and a shooter. But like Brett Favre, who I think he's analogous to as an athlete, he was inexplicably entertaining to watch and extremely likeable, even with those two traits being fundamental to his game. He just has that animal magnetism.

Needless to say, I'm a fan. Happy he got to atone for his **** up in 2013 and took advantage of the opportunity the subsequent season.

I agree! No doubt Manu was number one option scoring material on another team. He had the tools AND mentality to do so. But as u stated, who knows how his body would have held up. He only played more than 30 minutes per game twice in his career. Even though he came off the bench often, I still think that's a telling statement on his durability.

Pop had a handle on that early and used Manu perfectly! Anybody who knows basketball well knows Manu was a beast. If a more durable Manu HAD to be the alpha on another team, he had 25 point-6-7 assists-5-6 rebound ability.

The player James Harden reminds me of the most in MANY WAYS is Manu. And u see that's he's an MVP candidate. I think a more durable Manu could have done the same or close as the man on another team. AND also provide better defense than Harden.

BuffaloBill
05-04-2015, 05:58 AM
True

Ironic each Spurs team had a different best player

99- Robinson

03- Duncan

05- Manu

07- Parker

14- Kawhi

And ppl wanna act like it was all Duncan :oldlol:

:facepalm

3ball
05-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Here's where Manu ranked with his peers compared to 1990 SG's:

.Shooting Guards with 15.0 or Greater PER

Kobe Bryant.................... Michael Jordan
Dwayne Wade................. Clyde Drexler
Manu Ginobili................ Joe Dumars
Ray Allen........................ Reggie Miller
Vince Carter.................... Mitch Richmond
Michael Redd................... Ronaldo Blackmon
Richard Hamilton............. Alvin Robertson
Joe Johnson.................... Dale Ellis
Jason Richardson............. Ron Harper
Bonzi Wells..................... Fat Lever
Jamal Crawford............... Jeff Hornacek
Mike Miller...................... Hersey Hawkiins
Morris Peterson............... Ricky Pierce
Leandro Barbosa.............. Jeff Malone

The superiority of the 1990 players shows that strong, 2-way ability and diverse, mid-range repertoire > 3-and-D.. Obviously, as 3-point shooting has increasingly replaced 2-point shooting, fewer players have needed diverse, 2-point repertoires, so fewer have them.

But not having diverse 2-point repertoires makes today's players worse players because pull-up and turnaround 2-pointers are the shots the defense cannot prevent or stop - a defense can cut-off penetration, but mid-range shots aren't trying to penetrate.. A defense can contest hard to plummet the accuracy of a 3-pointer, but a good mid-range shooter is immune to this..

The inevitable nature of mid-range shot attempts is why mid-range shots give a team the best chance to get off a shot against dialed-in defenses.. Naturally, the greatest and most dominant players of all time were all great post and/or mid-range players - every single one.. Their mid-range and post ability gave them their unstoppable, inevitable quality.