PDA

View Full Version : How long before top college players start bypassing NBA draft???

INDI
05-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Thought of this because of the situation with NFL's Lael Collins. He is currently being questioned by the cops about his ex girlfriends murder so therefore teams passed on him altogether instead of wasting a pick where he can potentially go to jail.

He could be cleared of all suspicion as early as today giving him the ability to sign with any team he wants and demand the same first round money he would've made if drafted.

This is interesting to me because if top players take an approach to not declare for the draft (NFL and NBA). They can easily sign with a any team of their choice as long as they have the cap space. Possibly even make more money than the rookie pays Cale they would be subject too, and not be forced to play for a team that they would hate to play for because of (location, bad organization, non playoff team etc...)

I'm not saying I am a fan of this approach because I like the draft but things never stay the same, so it will only take one top potential pick to do this, go to a contender with good weather, and make major money for the light bulbs to start going off!

iamgine
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
You can't get to the NBA before first declaring for the draft. If you're not picked in the draft only then you can sign as free agent.

FreezingTsmoove
05-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah I have always wondered why more teams do not do this. Say the Cavs tell Emmanuel Mudiay not to declare for the draft and they will sign him to a 2 yr 16 mil contract when hes a free agent. It has to be illegal

jimmybball
05-04-2015, 11:57 AM
You can't get to the NBA before first declaring for the draft. If you're not picked in the draft only then you can sign as free agent.

This. Obviously the OP doesn't know some basics about entering the NBA.

gts
05-04-2015, 11:59 AM

this...

You have to declare for he draft The very first rule of the CBA concerning rookies is

[I]

KG215
05-04-2015, 12:00 PM
But who knows. Maybe top draft prospects declare for the draft, find a way to link their name as a suspect to a serious crime knowing they're innocent and it'll be easy to prove their innocence, 60 picks will go by without their name being called, and they'll be free to sign with any team they want.

Stranger things have happened.

Akrazotile
05-04-2015, 12:07 PM
But who knows. Maybe top draft prospects declare for the draft, find a way to link their name as a suspect to a serious crime knowing they're innocent and it'll be easy to prove their innocence, 60 picks will go by without their name being called, and they'll be free to sign with any team they want.

No they havent.

emaugust
05-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Thought of this because of the situation with NFL's Lael Collins. He is currently being questioned by the cops about his ex girlfriends murder so therefore teams passed on him altogether instead of wasting a pick where he can potentially go to jail.

He could be cleared of all suspicion as early as today giving him the ability to sign with any team he wants and demand the same first round money he would've made if drafted.

This is interesting to me because if top players take an approach to not declare for the draft (NFL and NBA). They can easily sign with a any team of their choice as long as they have the cap space. Possibly even make more money than the rookie pays Cale they would be subject too, and not be forced to play for a team that they would hate to play for because of (location, bad organization, non playoff team etc...)

I'm not saying I am a fan of this approach because I like the draft but things never stay the same, so it will only take one top potential pick to do this, go to a contender with good weather, and make major money for the light bulbs to start going off!

Draft picks are paid out of a set pool in the NFL. Getting drafted number one isn't the payday it used to be but it guarantee's a real decent contract.

I don't see too many dudes going outside the system because I do not believe the money is there.

Clyde
05-04-2015, 02:20 PM

Never go full retard

TheBigEasy99
05-04-2015, 02:45 PM

This is actually incorrect. The NFL's collective bargaining agreement has pretty strict limitations on the contracts that UDFAs can be offered. The biggest contract Collins can be offered is a 3 year contract making $435k in year one, $525k in year two and $615k in year 3. Also, teams have a cap of around $88,000 that they can offer in bonus money to UDFAs. This is $88k total for all UDFA signees so even if a team offers all of their bonus allocation to him he'd still only receive a fraction of what he would have gotten had he been drafted in the mid-first round like everyone expected.

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

ralph_i_el
05-04-2015, 03:19 PM
The draft should be abolished, along with caps on inidivdual salaries. Team salary caps should remain the same. Boom, now you have to pay the Lebrons and Durant's 30m a year, and teams without stars are still able to sign big name rookies because they'll have the cap space.

This ends tanking in one move. You don't want to give up good players and gut your team, because you're trying to prove to incoming rookies that you'll have a decent group of guys around them. The only people that lose out on this are veteran FA's (who hold disproportionate power in the players union...which is why this won't happen).

In this situation a guy like LeBron isn't taking $15m instead of $20m to play with stars...because he's giving up a possible $30m+ to take $14m. It will cause the top talent in the league to spread out instead of conglomerating.

KG215
05-04-2015, 04:32 PM
No they havent.

Never go full retard
Yeah, I'll take the "my bad" on that one. I guess I should've made it more obvious I was being sarcastic.