PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will sign either Marc Gasol or LaMarcus Aldridge and Duncan will stick around

Upgrayedd
05-05-2015, 12:29 PM
No way does Duncan retire. He was too damn good again this season to walk away right now.

If the Spurs sign Aldridge:

I can see Duncan moving to the bench and coming off the bench with Diaw. I think Ginobili will retire so this would be kind of cool having Duncan off the bench replacing Ginobili as the Spurs 6th man. Maybe he could even with 6th man of the year.

C: Splitter
PF: Aldridge
SF: Leonard
SG: Green
PG: Parker

6th man: Duncan

If the Spurs sign Marc Gasol I can see the Spurs trading Splitter and then they would keep Duncan as a starter at the 4.

C: Gasol
PF: Duncan
SF: Leonard
SG: Green
PG: Parker

OnFire
05-05-2015, 12:40 PM
After all the gushing over the story about walking off in the middle of a game i'm going to be pissed now if he retires during an offseason.

IncarceratedBob
05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
how much help does this guy need? any rings he wins wont even affect his legacy marginally

Derka
05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Grizz are gonna pay Gasol a pretty fat check, so I would wager he stays.

Aldridge...honestly, he could end up anywhere. Lots of teams will be in on him.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Mills is starting u dummy. Pop gave Tony one last chance he not bout it

scm5
05-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Mills is starting u dummy. Pop gave Tony one last chance he not bout it

TP was hurting

jimmybball
05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Either would be huge pick ups.

ImKobe
05-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Gasol has lived in Memphis for a long ass time and he gets more money by staying there, and they have a legitimate roster, he's not leaving.

Aldridge would be the obvious pick here for the Spurs, but even if they add him, they are not going to do any damage in the Playoffs. Duncan's defense is underrated and Splitter can't stay healthy, so a much worse defensive team with a past-prime Parker isn't going to do much.

Haymaker
05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Gasol is staying in Memphis. They have a good core. Aldridge is more of a scorer, which is what we need IMO. Someone who can take over a game consistently.

BuffaloBill
05-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Aldridge only happens for the spurs if any two of Green/Diaw/Bellinelli walk, or a trade with Splitter happens. Also there's no chance of signing him if Ginobili comes back.

Gasol isn't happening. LMA isn't far fetched but the stars need to align. We can't keep some of our proven guys and sign LMA. Which I'm fine with personally, just to shake things up. I just wish Tony Parker wasn't sucking up so much money $45 mil over the next 3 years :ohwell:

Rooster
05-05-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't think he should retire. Tony Parker who usually cause a lot attention in opposing defense was barely himself and they were still among the best team. Knowing the Spurs I think they will pick a mobile big that can check Blake defensively. I don't think they necessarily need a star big man to win again, they just need Parker to be healthy. I don't think they will survive the first round again if he's not a threat.

T_L_P
05-05-2015, 03:00 PM
No way Spurs keep Splitter ($10 million), Duncan (at least $5 million), Green ($9-10 million, maybe a paycut if he wants to stay) and get Aldridge ($15+ million).

Just give me Monroe and let Manu retire, try to get another playmaking SG.

Or better yet, just run it back one more time. We can contend if Pop plays Parker considerably less.

Proctor
05-05-2015, 03:29 PM
They shouldn't try to alter what they have too much. I personally see Ginobili as the only possible retiree. If he does leave, I wish the Spurs would get Gary Neal again. :lol

I would LOVE Aldridge on the Spurs but hate what that means in terms of letting important pieces go.

BuffaloBill
05-05-2015, 03:49 PM
They shouldn't try to alter what they have too much. I personally see Ginobili as the only possible retiree. If he does leave, I wish the Spurs would get Gary Neal again. :lol

I would LOVE Aldridge on the Spurs but hate what that means in terms of letting important pieces go.

I'm totally down for a change of pace. Teams are starting to figure out the Spurs, and they're only getting older. I could definitely see Green, Diaw, or Belli gone this offseason. It's sad but I think it's time to experiment.

ralph_i_el
05-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Lol yeah, Gasol is going to leave his adopted hometown to take LESS money

Proctor
05-05-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm totally down for a change of pace. Teams are starting to figure out the Spurs, and they're only getting older. I could definitely see Green, Diaw, or Belli gone this offseason. It's sad but I think it's time to experiment.
Please god not Green or Diaw. I like Bellinelli too but if they could afford to lose one of them, it would be him.

I think the Spurs should wait for the inevitable retirements before changing anything too drastically. There was nothing broken about the Spurs this year IMO. Parker played poorly but was playing hurt, and Ginobili contributed nothing until the waning moments of Game 7. This seems to be an unpopular opinion here but I still think Ginobili has at LEAST one solid year left. He looked old as dirt (and is) but I think he can contribute in unique ways for at least another season. That is, if he wants to.

When he goes through the inevitable spells where he doesn't affect the game, they certainly need another playmaker and that's why I mentioned somebody like Neal. Or they need to play Mills a hell of a lot more.

Old or not, I still think the Spurs will be making the same run we thought they would make this year next year, and hopefully they play with more urgency regarding seeding and its realities.

jimmybball
05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Aldridge only happens for the spurs if any two of Green/Diaw/Bellinelli walk, or a trade with Splitter happens. Also there's no chance of signing him if Ginobili comes back.

:

Even if the Splitter trade happens, and 1 of those guys walks?

It would work out nicely for the Spurs if Splitter is traded, Ginobili and Diaw or Belli walk, and they get Aldridge. If Belli walks, they need a new reserve SG, and if Diaw walks, they need a new backup big.

Bankaii
05-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't see Marc Gasol leaving Memphis. Although Kawhi-Duncan-Gasol would be the GOAT defensive front court. Aldridge would be a nice fit though and the Spurs' system can hide his average defense.

BuffaloBill
05-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Even if the Splitter trade happens, and 1 of those guys walks?

It would work out nicely for the Spurs if Splitter is traded, Ginobili and Diaw or Belli walk, and they get Aldridge. If Belli walks, they need a new reserve SG, and if Diaw walks, they need a new backup big.

It's possible, but we'd be losing half the team, including Green

RoseCity07
05-05-2015, 05:19 PM
It would funny to me if Aldridge did sign with Spurs. He's a very loyal guy, or at least that's what he's always said is part of his character. You know he's gotta be thinking about all the Duncan>>>Aldridge and even Dirk>>>>Aldridge talk. It would be humiliating for him to go to those teams.

With Lebron no one was arguing Wade>>>>>Lebron at the time or any point in their careers. Lillard has the mentality if I can't beat you I damn sure ain't going to join you. We'll see about Aldridge.

Upgrayedd
05-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Spurs should do a sign and trade with Portland for Aldridge. Spurs have players to offer.

I wouldn't mind Diaw being traded if the Spurs were to get Aldridge. You move Duncan to the bench and they'd still have Baynes, Anderson and Ayres. Anderson has potential.

Ginobili retires and the Spurs could sign someone like Corey Brewer as a back up shooting guard.

Roster:

C: Splitter/Duncan/Ayres/Baynes/Anderson
PF: Aldridge/Duncan/Ayres/Anderson/Baynes
SF: Leonard/Belinelli
SG: Green/Brewer
PG: Parker/Mills

bluechox2
05-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Spurs should do a sign and trade with Portland for Aldridge. Spurs have players to offer.

I wouldn't mind Diaw being traded if the Spurs were to get Aldridge. You move Duncan to the bench and they'd still have Baynes, Anderson and Ayres. Anderson has potential.

Ginobili retires and the Spurs could sign someone like Corey Brewer as a back up shooting guard.

Roster:

C: Splitter/Duncan/Ayres/Baynes/Anderson
PF: Aldridge/Duncan/Ayres/Anderson/Baynes
SF: Leonard/Belinelli
SG: Green/Brewer
PG: Parker/Mills

diaw only has value to the spurs...hed burn on the bench cause other teams have no clue how to use him

Upgrayedd
05-07-2015, 01:19 AM
The Hawks would probably take Diaw.

AussieG
05-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Gasol would be crazy to go to the Spurs when they are aging and on the decline, even Pop can't stay forever. Parker is pretty much gone, Manu is a shell of his former self. They are still a good team but why would you leave a good fit with a prime Conley, Z-Bo still playing well etc?

This season is showing the younger teams emerging and the older ones like Mavs and Spurs falling away. Next year Timmy and Dirk will be another year older. At some point they will rebuild. Not sure why you'd want to go there if you are a star player. If you get traded fine, but not by choice.

Even if they have another year in them, what about the year after? It'd be a very short term thing before it turns to shit. Refer to Dwight and Lakers.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Gasol would be crazy to go to the Spurs when they are aging and on the decline, even Pop can't stay forever. Parker is pretty much gone, Manu is a shell of his former self. They are still a good team but why would you leave a good fit with a prime Conley, Z-Bo still playing well etc?

This season is showing the younger teams emerging and the older ones like Mavs and Spurs falling away. Next year Timmy and Dirk will be another year older. At some point they will rebuild. Not sure why you'd want to go there if you are a star player. If you get traded fine, but not by choice.

Even if they have another year in them, what about the year after? It'd be a very short term thing before it turns to shit. Refer to Dwight and Lakers.

You realize you're a small market, too? Who's going to go to the Grizzlies after your own stars get old?

:no:

As for the thread topic, I highly doubt either will want to play for us. We're not exactly a very enticing franchise to play for if you're a star in this league. Most stars want the ball in their hands more and don't want to play limited minutes. Our brand of basketball just doesn't mesh with what most stars want. That being said, I do think Marc would be a good fit considering he's a great passer and very unselfish in his own right.

He would fit right in, I just don't think he would leave since he is their guy. He's their franchise player, much like Aldridge is Portland's franchise player. Makes little sense to leave a situation like that. Their front offices will make moves in order to get them further with due time, I'm sure.

clipps
05-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Doesn't matter how much of a team guy Duncan is. He's not coming off the bench. This thread is retarded.

toxicxr6
05-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Doesn't matter how much of a team guy Duncan is. He's not coming off the bench. This thread is retarded.

This

People do realise Duncan was still top 10 In mvp voting this year.. Will make all NBA first or second team.. Will probably make all defenses second team as well.. And in the playoffs he had to battle against probably the best front court in the NBA and still put up 17/11 on very good efficientcy... Played a lot more minutes than the regular season and still was the Spurs best player.. If he continues to play there is no way he is going to the bench.. Not a chance.. He is still far too good for that.. And still had the motor to play with the young guys.

I do think Spurs have a very good chance to get Aldridge.. And he would pair up with Duncan as the starting front court.. And thy would be very good.. Alridge has the range to clear space for Duncan inside.

What I'm hoping.. Many retires.. Danny green signs for around 6m/year.. Yes I know he could get more.. But I have a feeling he will take a pay cut to stay in SA. Duncan signs vet minimum.. Kwahi signs for around 14m/year...
Let cory Joseph walk.. And sign a more reliable pg backup. If Danny green walks then trade splitter for another 3&d player.. Possibly batum who looks like he might get traded.. Diaw will come back he isn't going to get the same money anywhere else..
I think Parker could possibly improve next year over this year.. He was injured almost the entire year and this year he is going to get extra rest that could help him a lot

I honestly feel if the Spurs reload instead of rebuilding they are doing to be a major threat next year...

veilside23
06-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Bump just watched grantland and per jalen rose. LMA is likely to be a spurs player next season .

i don't buy that crap saying that the spurs are old and is a small market.

they are the best organization after chicago with MJ and Lakers with kobe and shaq.

they have kawhi leonard who is loved by everyone and is only getting better.

Seriously if you are aldridge you would rather have leonard than batum.

Matthews might leave is he really way better than danny green.

Parker is old but he is still efficient.

and a 40 year old TD is still leaps and bounds better than any other bigman that portland have right now.

TD might not be coming off the bench ... He would be more than happy to have a paul pierce role ..

people dont need to be crazy if duncan wont start some games specially during the regular season