PDA

View Full Version : Pop, Duncan, and Kawhi

scm5
05-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I remember reading about Pop saying he would retire once Timmy is done. Do you still see that happening with the emergence of Kawhi?

keep-itreal
05-05-2015, 01:21 PM
"emergence of Kawhi"

LMAO, dude disappeared in the clippers series

Emergence my ass:roll: :roll:

r15mohd
05-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I remember reading about Pop saying he would retire once Timmy is done. Do you still see that happening with the emergence of Kawhi?

Kawhi is good, but he's nowhere near the superstar level TD was in the Pop/TD era, and I surely Pop realizes this.

the whole TD/Pop era should go out together...no reason for Pop to stretch it out in hopes Kawhi becomes a superstar, he's all-star level at best IMO.

24-Inch_Chrome
05-05-2015, 01:25 PM
"emergence of Kawhi"

LMAO, dude disappeared in the clippers series

Emergence my ass:roll: :roll:

Because one lost series negates everything else he has done in his career thus far. :rolleyes:

jimmybball
05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
If I were Pop, I would see if the Spurs can land Marc Gasol or Aldridge before making my decision.

keep-itreal
05-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Because one lost series negates everything else he has done in his career thus far. :rolleyes:

Yes it does. Thanks for proving my point:cheers:

24-Inch_Chrome
05-05-2015, 01:29 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/funny%20gifs/grand/retard-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-804.gif

:sleeping

Gasol/Aldridge signing will be a key part of their decision. If either signs I could see Duncan staying to mentor them in the same way that Robinson mentored him.

keep-itreal
05-05-2015, 01:31 PM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/funny%20gifs/grand/retard-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-804.gif

fixed that for you

24-Inch_Chrome
05-05-2015, 01:33 PM
fixed that for you

You took my joke and just repeated it/made it worse. Great job.

http://i.giphy.com/P8IXl0kmQgmDS.gif

scm5
05-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Kawhi is good, but he's nowhere near the superstar level TD was in the Pop/TD era, and I surely Pop realizes this.

the whole TD/Pop era should go out together...no reason for Pop to stretch it out in hopes Kawhi becomes a superstar, he's all-star level at best IMO.

But at the same time, Pop has gotten better as a coach and has managed to keep the Spurs strong despite TD and Manu declining and TP being injured.

While Kawhi won't be the superstar TD was, he's still a defensive stud that will only get more consistent as he gets older. He's barely 23 and while being a very mature player, we should keep in mind that he sort of just inherited the role of "first option" on that team and put up:

20/7/3 on 48%FG and 42%3FG

and for all intents and purposes, he's the defensive anchor for the Spurs. That's a lot of responsibility for a 23 year old that also has the expectations that come with FMVP and DPOY awards.

keep-itreal
05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
You took my joke and just repeated it/made it worse. Great job.

http://i.giphy.com/P8IXl0kmQgmDS.gif

It's not a joke :cheers:

That's just you. Keep looking for gifs to post to hide your butthurt though

24-Inch_Chrome
05-05-2015, 01:38 PM
But at the same time, Pop has gotten better as a coach and has managed to keep the Spurs strong despite TD and Manu declining and TP being injured.

While Kawhi won't be the superstar TD was, he's still a defensive stud that will only get more consistent as he gets older. He's barely 23 and while being a very mature player, we should keep in mind that he sort of just inherited the role of "first option" on that team and put up:

20/7/3 on 48%FG and 42%3FG

and for all intents and purposes, he's the defensive anchor for the Spurs. That's a lot of responsibility for a 23 year old that also has the expectations that come with FMVP and DPOY awards.

The pressure on Kawhi is a key factor imo. He's done so much for someone that young, hope he doesn't get affected by it going forward.

As a first option for next year I could see something like 23/9/3 on similar shooting numbers to the ones that you posted while maintaining his defense. Thoughts?

Akrazotile
05-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Kawhi is about as good as prime Paul Pierce.

That is nowhere near enough to be guaranteed to contend on its own, a la prime Duncan or Lebron.

Without Duncan this team could make the playoffs due to their system perhaps, but theyd be Pelican-esque fodder and nothing more.

rmt
05-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Before it seemed that Duncan would go before Pop, but now I don't know. Seems like TD could be good another 2 years. Ironically it wasn't he who didn't play up to par, it was the others. Re-tool, come back refreshed and try again.

Derka
05-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Kawhi has only scratched the surface. Part of that tremendous Finals series is that he becomes a part of the Spurs' game that opposing teams game plan for. He still needs a couple of years before his real emergence can be estimated.

Lensanity
05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Kawhi Leonard will never even come close to being a top 10 player of all time. Horrible comparison.

scm5
05-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Kawhi Leonard will never even come close to being a top 10 player of all time. Horrible comparison.

I want to know what you read that said "comparison" to you.

T_L_P
05-05-2015, 02:54 PM

lel.

Pop will stick around for at least another year after Duncan. It would be too much of a system-shock if they both went out together.

chips93
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
lel.

Pop will stick around for at least another year after Duncan. It would be too much of a system-shock if they both went out together.

what kind of player do you expect kawhi to become?

sportjames23
05-05-2015, 04:22 PM
:sleeping

Gasol/Aldridge signing will be a key part of their decision. If either signs I could see Duncan staying to mentor them in the same way that Robinson mentored him.

Gasol and Aldridge are vets. How can Duncan mentor them? It ain't like they're rookies, as Duncan was when Robinson mentored him.

24-Inch_Chrome
05-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Gasol and Aldridge are vets. How can Duncan mentor them? It ain't like they're rookies, as Duncan was when Robinson mentored him.

It wouldn't be the exact same type of thing but I think that Aldridge in particular could use help acclimating to San Antonio's system. So not so much mentoring as far as experience at the professional level, more so helping with acclimation to a new type of system. I should have been more specific.

JerrySeinfeld
05-05-2015, 04:26 PM
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Marc Gasol

would be enough for him to stay

sportjames23
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
It wouldn't be the exact same type of thing but I think that Aldridge in particular could use help acclimating to San Antonio's system. So not so much mentoring as far as experience at the professional level, more so helping with acclimation to a new type of system. I should have been more specific.

Ok, gotcha. :cheers:

T_L_P
05-05-2015, 04:32 PM

He could teach LMA a lot. You're right about Gasol. There's nothing Tim can really 'mentor' him on. But LMA still has a ways to go as a leader, as a defensive player, and as a potential low-post threat.

ThePhantomCreep
05-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Kawhi is about as good as prime Paul Pierce.

That is nowhere near enough to be guaranteed to contend on its own, a la prime Duncan or Lebron.

Without Duncan this team could make the playoffs due to their system perhaps, but theyd be Pelican-esque fodder and nothing more.

Everyone gets overrated when they don a Spurs uniform. They should have 9-10 titles with all this greatness:

Timmy = top 4 all-time
Pop = GOAT coach
Gino > Harden, Tmac, Ray, AI, Carter
Parker = best PG in the league some years

Now, we Kwahi = prime Pierce. :lol GTFOH

scm5
05-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Everyone gets overrated when they don a Spurs uniform. They should have 9-10 titles with all this greatness:

Timmy = top 4 all-time
Pop = GOAT coach
Gino > Harden, Tmac, Ray, AI, Carter
Parker = best PG in the league some years

Now, we Kwahi = prime Pierce. :lol GTFOH

Offensively, he's not even close. His defense (and yes, he's a muuuuuuch better and more versatile defender) puts him in the conversation with Pierce in his prime.

ThePhantomCreep
05-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Offensively, he's not even close. His defense (and yes, he's a muuuuuuch better and more versatile defender) puts him in the conversation with Pierce in his prime.

The conversation goes like this:

"Is Kawhi as good as prime Paul Pierce?"

"No"

"Didn't think so. Let's gets some tacos."

Duncan gets a overrated by a pinch (he's easily top 7 though), but the rest of these guys? Yikes.

scm5
05-05-2015, 05:11 PM
lel.

He actually is the defensive anchor for the Spurs.

Spurs defense with Kawhi on the floor is -5.3
Spurs defense with Duncan on the floor is -0.6
Spurs defense with Green on the floor is -1.6

http://www.82games.com/1415/14SAS9.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1415/14SAS14.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1415/14SAS7.HTM

Kawhi is by far the Spurs best defender this season. Timmy's impact defensively isn't what it used to be.

scm5
05-05-2015, 05:18 PM
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Marc Gasol

would be enough for him to stay

Tim Duncan alone would be enough to get Pop to stay. Pop has said multiple times though that once TD is done, he's done. I'm just wondering if you guys think Kawhi's emergence has changed anything for Pop.

I'm not comparing Kawhi to TD or trying to overrate Kawhi. He's pretty damn good and he's got Pop's full support.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24859782/gregg-popovich-to-kawhi-leonard-to-hell-with-the-big-3-youre-the-big-1

SCdac
05-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Whatever happens happens. My father and older family have lived through different generations of Spurs teams and I'm ready to do the same tbh. A part of me is ready to see a Spurs team without Duncan, despite being incredibly sad, but I'll be really happy if TD comes back. I grew up watching the Robinson, Avery, Elliott, Willie Anderson, Del Negro, etc, era so the Spurs of the next 10 years will be roughly the "3rd generation" for me, but like 4th or 5th generation for my pops.