PDA

View Full Version : who is the best defensive player in the NBA right now?

ortonsaw
05-06-2015, 01:53 AM
for me it is
1. Tony Allen
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Rudy Gobert
5. Draymond Green

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Tony
da rest

aj1987
05-06-2015, 02:17 AM
for me it is
1. Tony Allen
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Rudy Gobert
5. Draymond Green
Kawhi got roasted on defense against the Clips. He didn't even deserve the DPOY. He's an elite defender, but overrated.

KiiiiNG
05-06-2015, 02:34 AM
tony allen is one of the greatest perimeter defenders ever

every bit as good as pippen, mj, or bruce bowen

Hit_Em
05-06-2015, 02:50 AM
if i said it once i said it 1000 times

TONY ALLEN IS THE MICHAEL JORDAN OF DEFENSE

KembaWalker
05-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Tony Allen.
FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE!

poido123
05-06-2015, 04:19 AM
jimmy is right up there but i think allen is a cut above at this stage.

jimmy spends too much energy on the offense this year, so i don't really know where he's at when he's just focused on D.

InspiredLebowski
05-06-2015, 04:33 AM
gotta break it into levels.

Khawhi (which hurts, a little, to say, love GHill)

Butler (no nickname yet?)
Timberlands Allen
Draymond (versatility more than shut guys down)

Bogut
Gobert
Brow (slide them feeet Brow)
Timmy
Roy

Cp3
Beverly
Conley
George Hill

something like that, they're all in a rough ranking

D's just become so specialized so often. I honestly hope Kawhi's a trend torwards perimeter defenders being recognized for being great even with these minimal contact rules. I love my man Roy, but it's flat out counterintuitive that a guy can drive the rim and lose his feet and as long as "verticality" is employed it's just a no call.

I'm cool with if the defender beats you to the spot then that's his spot. next step's figuring out how to approach a driver seeing a guy rotating into position and just sticking the ball on his hip and running into him (sup Harden, but you're far from the only one).

honestly, reffing's pretty damn hard under these rules. they need to make some hardline rules inside the charge circle, that or just get rid of the damn thing, I'd prefer the latter.

Genaro
05-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Marc Gasol deserves a mention. Tony Allen only has room to gamble for steals because he knows Marc is behind him to clean up his eventual mistakes.

Whiteside is a great rim protector as well.

aj1987
05-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Marc Gasol deserves a mention. Tony Allen only has room to gamble for steals because he knows Marc is behind him to clean up his eventual mistakes.

Whiteside is a great rim protector as well.
He's been average after people started talking about him. Only worried about his offensive game.

Cleverness
05-06-2015, 01:10 PM
gotta break it into levels.

Khawhi (which hurts, a little, to say, love GHill)

Butler (no nickname yet?)
Timberlands Allen
Draymond (versatility more than shut guys down)

Bogut
Gobert
Brow (slide them feeet Brow)
Timmy
Roy

Cp3
Beverly
Conley
George Hill

something like that, they're all in a rough ranking

D's just become so specialized so often. I honestly hope Kawhi's a trend torwards perimeter defenders being recognized for being great even with these minimal contact rules. I love my man Roy, but it's flat out counterintuitive that a guy can drive the rim and lose his feet and as long as "verticality" is employed it's just a no call.

I'm cool with if the defender beats you to the spot then that's his spot. next step's figuring out how to approach a driver seeing a guy rotating into position and just sticking the ball on his hip and running into him (sup Harden, but you're far from the only one).

honestly, reffing's pretty damn hard under these rules. they need to make some hardline rules inside the charge circle, that or just get rid of the damn thing, I'd prefer the latter.

No DeAndre Jordan?

Mass Debator
05-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Man defense? Tony Allen hands down
Help defense? Probably Anthony Davis...was Noah before to me.
Blocking/rim protection? I actually think it's Hassan Whiteside
Stealing/ball hawking? Kawhi Leonard or CP3
Versatility? Lebron or Draymond

Lexington Steel
05-06-2015, 01:18 PM
K.Leonard
Tony Allen

Rudy Gobert
DeAndre Jordan
Timofey Mozgov

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Man defense? Tony Allen hands down
Help defense? Probably Anthony Davis...was Noah before to me.
Blocking/rim protection? I actually think it's Hassan Whiteside
Stealing/ball hawking? Kawhi Leonard or CP3
Versatility? Lebron or Draymond

Man defense agreed
Help defense no way its AD. Hes way too undisciplined and relies on athleticism/length too much that leads to highlight reel plays but he doesnt make the D much better. Draymond is a much better help defender

Bogut is the best rim protector when healthy, this season is Gobert
stealin i wanna say CP buts its Tony. Doesnt even gamble either since he positioned very well he led RS and playoffs now in steal percentage

Versatility is Draymond

SaltyMeatballs
05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Tony Allen

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:24 PM
after this series ova the answer will be clear...............
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKMx43HCMAAuZ9Z.jpg

kamil
05-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Kawhi got roasted on defense against the Clips. He didn't even deserve the DPOY. He's an elite defender, but overrated.

Elite but overrated?

Does anyone else think that doesn't make any ****in sense?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Elite but overrated?

It makes perfect sense. The nikka won DPOY that implies hes the best defender in the league which he clearly isnt

scm5
05-06-2015, 01:35 PM
For those saying Kawhi is overrated, you need to realize that he's barely 23 years old.

Can you imagine the pressure playing with TD, TP, and Ginobili under Pop's coaching at that age? He just won FMVP and DPOY and Pop trusts him enough to start transitioning him into the role of first option while TD, TP, and Ginobili are still playing!

He just put up 20/7/3 on 57% TS 48% FG in a 7 game series and while his defense wasn't all there during the series, he's showing that he can at the very least be a solid second option on offense.

To expect that kind of consistency on defense while also taking the role of first option is unreasonable for someone that age. Few in NBA history were able to do it, and you're the one overrating Kawhi by comparing him to those who have.

We can assume one thing though, Kawhi is on the right track to greatness because he's getting a lot of unwarranted hate right now.

scm5
05-06-2015, 01:38 PM
I would have to say it's between Tony Allen and Kawhi Leonard.

Kawhi is much younger and has a bigger role offensively than Allen, so his consistency might not always be there on defense. Kawhi's man-defense might not be at Allen's level yet, but he can be just as, if not more disruptive than Allen on help defense because of his length.

You can't go wrong between the two.

nba_55
05-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Green, Allen and DJ have been the 3 best defenders in the playoffs.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I would have to say it's between Tony Allen and Kawhi Leonard.

Kawhi is much younger and has a bigger role offensively than Allen, so his consistency might not always be there on defense. Kawhi's man-defense might not be at Allen's level yet, but he can be just as, if not more disruptive than Allen on help defense because of his length.

You can't go wrong between the two.
Kawhis man defense will NEVA be on Tonys level

scm5
05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Kawhis man defense will NEVA be on Tonys level

Bold statement. Allen wasn't even in the league until he was 23 years old and Kawhi has the advantage of athleticism and length.

Allen's man defense is on another level, but Kawhi is very young and VERY good on defense.

imnew09
05-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Give Kawhi Marc Gasol + Z Bo in the paint and he will become one of the best defender OF ALL TIME

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Give Kawhi Marc Gasol + Z Bo in the paint and he will become one of the best defender OF ALL TIME
Zbo isnt even a gud defender so wut u sayin dummy?

Pop=One of the GOAT defensive coaches
Green/Splitter/Diaw/Timmy>>>>>>Conley/ZBo/Marc

rmt
05-06-2015, 01:49 PM
For those saying Kawhi is overrated, you need to realize that he's barely 23 years old.

Can you imagine the pressure playing with TD, TP, and Ginobili under Pop's coaching at that age? He just won FMVP and DPOY and Pop trusts him enough to start transitioning him into the role of first option while TD, TP, and Ginobili are still playing!

He just put up 20/7/3 on 57% TS 48% FG in a 7 game series and while his defense wasn't all there during the series, he's showing that he can at the very least be a solid second option on offense.

To expect that kind of consistency on defense while also taking the role of first option is unreasonable for someone that age. Few in NBA history were able to do it, and you're the one overrating Kawhi by comparing him to those who have.

We can assume one thing though, Kawhi is on the right track to greatness because he's getting a lot of unwarranted hate right now.

It's Pop's fault for putting Leonard on Paul for so long. He has no business guarding PGs especially one as crafty as Paul. Green should have been on Paul. Leonard is too big, too long to get around the screen that these quick PGs use. He's much better against the bigger, slower types like Lebron, Melo, KD - not Kyrie, Curry (Spurs beat them couple years back when Pop put Green on Curry), Westbrooke, etc.

scm5
05-06-2015, 01:56 PM
It's Pop's fault for putting Leonard on Paul for so long. He has no business guarding PGs especially one as crafty as Paul. Green should have been on Paul. Leonard is too big, too long to get around the screen that these quick PGs use. He's much better against the bigger, slower types like Lebron, Melo, KD - not Kyrie, Curry (Spurs beat them couple years back when Pop put Green on Curry), Westbrooke, etc.

+1, this also.

I would have to say that between Allen and Kawhi right now, it's a wash.

Allen is a much better man-defender, but Kawhi can lock certain players down better. Kawhi is a better help defender and on his best days, can be way more disruptive on defense than Allen can be. That's not to say Allen isn't very disruptive, it's that when Kawhi is feeling it on defense, no one in the NBA right now can be as disruptive as he can be.

On a side note, last night Allen seemed to be extremely proud that he made all-nba defensive first team. He's made it before, was he being sarcastic and he felt like he should have been DPOY? He definitely has an argument.

T_L_P
05-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Andrew Bogut.

Bigsmoke
05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Kawhi

r0drig0lac
05-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Kawhi

aj1987
05-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Elite but overrated?

Yeah. It makes PERFECT sense, you bald ****. Dude was elite, but so were a couple of others. Green deserved it.