PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't Spurs & Pops be Back 2 Back Champs?

Solidape
05-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Any theories on why spurs always fail miserably when it comes to repeating as champs? How come no one calls them out on this failure?

It is like they win the championship and then the next year get either swept or knocked out early (I have no proof of my statement but it feels that way).

Shouldn't great teams repeat, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Heat did it. Teams that didn't repeat at least made it back to conference finals Celtics, 2004 Pistons.

red1
05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
because winning championships is hard?

Solidape
05-07-2015, 11:07 AM
because winning championships is hard?

Thats the point, great teams manage to repeat....are Spurs not great or victim of injuries, bad matchups, free agency losses?

Derka
05-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Because everyone else wants to win a title, too. Winning two in a row is really, really hard.

Tarik One
05-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Any theories on why spurs always fail miserably when it comes to repeating as champs? How come no one calls them out on this failure?

It is like they win the championship and then the next year get either swept or knocked out early (I have no proof of my statement but it feels that way).

Shouldn't great teams repeat, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Heat did it. Teams that didn't repeat at least made it back to conference finals Celtics, 2004 Pistons.
So, the Rockets, Heat and Pistons' back-to-back title runs were more impressive that the Spurs title runs that spanned over 16 years?

Hittin_Shots
05-07-2015, 11:12 AM
They're not greedy

NumberSix
05-07-2015, 11:15 AM
5 chips in 15 years is 5 chips. Who cares what order they were won in?

rmt
05-07-2015, 11:18 AM
It's very difficult to maintain the desire, intensity, drive for a long period of time - you can see that in modern basketball - the most titles in a row is 3 (CHI's 2, LAL) and those are with their stars in their peaks.

SAS went to 2 straight Finals - as close to winning 2 as possible. This year those intangibles mentioned earlier just weren't there. Besides the LAC series was very close too - could have gone either way.

The ages (and development) of SAS' big 3 is more widespread. Duncan's first and the years after didn't include TP and Manu. And during their prime years, .4 and Manu's foul on Dirk happened. After 08, I really didn't believe that they were true contenders - with Richard Jefferson, Bonner/Blair. So for me, 2012 to present were unbelievable. It's been a FANTASTIC ride as a fan, regardless of whether they repeated or not.

Remember Bird's Celtics never repeated either and no one knocks them for that. Besides Spurs are pretty much the gold standard of the NBA - the organization that every team tries to model (see all of Pop's disciples among coaches/GMs).

Legends66NBA7
05-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I think a lot of people do call them out for it, but they still succeded a lot and I think a majority (if not all) of teams would trade for the success they've had since Duncan has been there. Only a he Lakers won their chips in a shorter time period in the 21st century, but the Spurs sustained more steady success.

Spurs made the conference finals in 08.

The 2000 Spurs were unfortunate because they lost Duncan to injury before the playoffs started. Lost heart breakers in 04 (Fisher's shot swung the momentum), 06 (Duncan was playing hurt here too, still an amazing series) and 15 (both teams played amazing and it came down to the last shot)

rmt
05-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Are you forgetting that Spurs made it to 2 consecutive Finals?

Wade's Rings
05-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Duncan was hurt in 2000. In 2004 it was the .4 Derek Fisher shot. In 2006 it was Ginobili fouling Dirk. Like others above me have said it's not easy to win a Title and repeat.

Motivation is lacking in some teams after winning a Title. They win it and feel accomplished and don't have the determination to repeat. Not sure if it applies to the Spurs but it's a possible reason.

rmt
05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Part of it is human nature - to be satisfied, contented when you win. In the meantime, the other teams are hungrier, younger, etc. It's amazing to me that Duncan has maintained that competitive spirit for so long - I can see it even in regular season games - where he just wants to win. Usually, one tends to sit on one's laurels (especially after accomplishing so much). Here's Pop:

Anything surprise you about the season?

“As far as players are concerned I don’t know if it’s quite a surprise but I continue to be amazed by Tim Duncan. He was our most consistent player in the playoffs, at 39. He needed a little more help and I feel badly he didn’t get it. It wasn’t for lack of trying.

“To watch him is pretty spectacular, in itself. Even our players shake their heads at his performance at both ends of the floor. He wants it badly and does it the right way. It’s not about bells and whistles and grunting and dancing and doing commercials and all of that stuff. He just does it quietly and that’s why we feel badly when we don’t get it done for him.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2015/05/04/one-last-qa-with-gregg-popovich/#32561101=0

thefatmiral
05-07-2015, 12:19 PM
would have been a repeat if ginobili didn't have a meltdown in 2013 finals. but they might have lost the next year with less hunger. they weren't good enough during the george hill, rj and blair years. they could have beat the clippers this yr if kawhi played slighty better. but the rockets would have been an even harder matchup.

IncarceratedBob
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
they're schtick or "system" doesnt work back to back years, teams only need a certain amount of time to master a way to beat the spurs

T_L_P
05-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Usually some combination of injuries (00, 08), bad luck (0.4, absurd no-call on Fisher), and Tony Parker choking (04, 06 and 15 especially).

Pointguard
05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
All the guys that have won back to backs talk of the mental fortitude it takes for the second year. Not saying that SA doesn't have it, but its easier when its clear cut an individual that takes the burden and inspires the others. I think they win by committee, and one person doesn't take the weight the next year. Duncan is arguable the top 5 GOAT so its not really a knock on him, he's a low key guy. Just the way he is. All three of SA main keys are somewhat similar: Capable of great years but sustaining two title runs has been unlikely from all of them (Duncan can do it, but perhaps, not to at a level to sustain the other two in his earlier years).

SsKSpurs21
05-07-2015, 02:52 PM
In the early years it was alot of Duncan carrying the team. they won a few and ran into two top 10 players (shaq and kobe).

lakers first championship, Spurs were out in the first round due to duncans injury. the other 2, they just didnt have enough to beat that team.

after the 03 championship, they lost DRob, Speedy, Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr and other veterans.

.4 - enough said

2005 with the emergence manu they were able to make a run.

after this it was all retooling and finding pieces to fit. with the exception of Tim, Tony, and Manu, teams after this point were all different every year. takes time to build chemistry and with pops system, familiarity is key. you have know each others tendencies to make those passes.

jimmybball
05-07-2015, 03:27 PM
This time around they came across another legit contender.

navy
05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
They dont reload properly and they lack hunger. Pop looked ready to go home all season.

Haymaker
05-07-2015, 03:55 PM
They dont reload properly and they lack hunger. Pop looked ready to go home all season.

True. They keep their team intact, which is a good thing only if your players are young. They could've added a bench scorer this season.

SCdac
05-07-2015, 05:05 PM
why can't some franchises win a single title, let alone 5?

teams with NO championships:

Phoenix Suns
Cleveland Cavaliers
Los Angeles Clippers
Utah Jazz
Denver Nuggets
Indiana Pacers
Orlando Magic
Minnesota Timberwolves
Toronto Raptors
Memphis/Vancouver Grizzlies
Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets
Charlotte Hornets

teams with no championships in the last 30+ years:

Golden State Warriors
Milwaukee Bucks
Atlanta Hawks
Sacramento Kings
Supersonics/Thunder
Portland Trailblazers
Washington Bullets/Wizards
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76'ers

The point is, don't think many people realize how hard it is, and how many things have to come together, for a team to win a championship. Even small injuries can have a huge impact. Not to mention, fatigue. Spurs had back to back WCF-Finals-Finals the past 3 seasons. The mileage adds up

rmt
05-07-2015, 05:15 PM
The point is, don't think many people realize how hard it is, and how many things have to come together, for a team to win a championship. Even small injuries can have a huge impact. Not to mention, fatigue. Spurs had back to back WCF-Finals-Finals the past 3 seasons. The mileage adds up

Especially when the big 3 are not young to begin with. This year, though, it was mental fatigue, together with physical (Parker & Splitter).

TheMarkMadsen
05-07-2015, 05:30 PM
scavenger titles

won during a lock out season, only won again when Kobe was hurt and Dirk got hurt during their serires, won again when Kobe and Shaq broke up, then again after the Suns got screwed in their series

TimmyDuncan
05-07-2015, 07:13 PM

A little bit of bad luck, injuries, choke, and tough opponent
- 2000: Duncan injured all postseason
- 2004: Retooling of the roster, Bad luck and tough opponent with the 0.4 shot by Fisher
- 2006: Tough opponent and choke with the foul by Manu on Dirk in Game 7
- 2008: 08' Lakers were good and there was a big ref mistake but spurs had no excuses that year
- 2015: Parker and Splitter not being the same. Don't really know yet if it's injuries or just them being done

2 times it went to last minute plays
2 times it was because of injuries / decline of major players
1 time, just no excuse

Overall I think most spurs fans are happy with 5 championships

Sarcastic
05-07-2015, 07:19 PM
they're schtick or "system" doesnt work back to back years, teams only need a certain amount of time to master a way to beat the spurs

Pretty much this. Teams that win back to back or more always are led by a true superstar. That's not to say Duncan is not a superstar, but he is overrated relative to the other guys who did win back to back due to his longevity.

SCdac
05-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Not every player gets to team up with prime Shaq or prime Kobe.. Even Pau Gasol is noticeably better than Tiago Splitter or Rasho Nesterovic... Prime Duncan, Bosh, and Wade in the eastern conference? Probably could have repeated... Some of it is so circumstantial

IllegalD
05-07-2015, 07:30 PM
The problem is Duncan.

Great player, just not on that Jordan/Magic/Kobe level.

Optimus Prime
05-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Pop wants to give the rest of the league a chance since he's a nice guy.

:confusedshrug: