PDA

View Full Version : How exactly did MJ end up in DC?

Mawly-G
05-07-2015, 05:23 PM
I remember when MJ became President of Basketball Operations/General Manager of the Wizards at one point, and then decided to come out of retirement and actually suit up for the team. Growing up in DC, I remember watching MJ's last few years as a Chicago Bull. It was so odd that he came to DC, and it was even more strange seeing him in a Wizards uniform.

How and why the hell did MJ come to DC and why not do all of this in Chicago or Charlotte?

AirFederer
05-07-2015, 05:36 PM
He hated Jerry Reinsdorf/Bulls management and that they didn't sign Scotty and Phil for '99 iirc. That's one factor.
Why Wiz I don't recall.

HylianNightmare
05-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Wasn't it something to do with 9/11?

Mawly-G
05-07-2015, 05:57 PM
I don't think so. He became President of Basketball Operations the year before 9/11, iirc.

Crown&Coke
05-07-2015, 06:02 PM
He had a part ownership. Team sucked. He wanted to push the value up. The marketing genius he was, figured the best way was to try a come back

MJ sold his ownership stake
MJ played ball
MJ retired again
MJ tried to buy back his stake
Abe Pollin laughed all the way to the bank

DMV2
05-07-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't think so. He became President of Basketball Operations the year before 9/11, iirc.
Like you said, he was already president of basketball operations. After 9/11, he came back and gave part of his salary to 9/11 charities.

That was most likely the politically correct reasoning. He was already a multi-millionaire so he could have just donated money. He more likely came back because he thought he still had it and wanted to show people he was that good.

He was good for an old man but obviously nowhere near he was before.

dubeta
05-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Collusion, how else?

Optimus Prime
05-07-2015, 06:37 PM
He felt bad for the Wizards because he was responsible for Kwame Brown.

In all seriousness, what MJ did as a 39-40 year old player was pretty amazing. He wasn't really "MJ" any more, but he was an above-average NBA player, which when you consider his age and miles is pretty spectacular.

dubeta
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
He felt bad for the Wizards because he was responsible for Kwame Brown.

In all seriousness, what MJ did as a 39-40 year old player was pretty amazing. He wasn't really "MJ" any more, but he was an above-average NBA player, which when you consider his age and miles is pretty spectacular.

True, definitely better than 32+ year old ChuckBe

Beastmode88
05-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Dude played for DC because of 9/11. He wanted to play for America's capital and would of done it for free. He had to take a salary of a million dollars and donated his salary. GOAT GONAN GOAT. :bowdown: :bowdown:

EDIT: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/nyregion/news-summary-355658.html

Jordan Makes It Official

Michael Jordan announced that he will sign a two-year contract to play for the Washington Wizards and donate his salary to relief efforts in the terrorist attacks. D9

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/WSEedfund_011016.html

"Obviously our country has changed forever, but nothing has changed more than the lives of the families of the victims of this tragedy," said Jordan. "This fund is one of several wonderful efforts that will benefit the victims of the September 11th attacks."

jimmybball
05-07-2015, 11:33 PM

:lol

funnystuff
05-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Why would Jordan play for the Wizards just because the government detonated a few buildings?

Mawly-G
05-08-2015, 12:35 AM
My question is...how did MJ end up in DC to begin with? Like, why did he become the GM of the Wizards as opposed to the Bulls or Hornets? Washington DC just seems like a random, odd choice for MJ. I wonder if he had connections in DC or something.

305Baller
05-08-2015, 12:41 AM
He had a part ownership. Team sucked. He wanted to push the value up. The marketing genius he was, figured the best way was to try a come back

MJ played ball
MJ retired again

This.

FultzNationRISE
09-24-2019, 11:34 PM
He hated Jerry Reinsdorf/Bulls management and that they didn't sign Scotty and Phil for '99 iirc. That's one factor.
Why Wiz I don't recall.

So youre saying MJ didnt like his chances without these guys??

3ball
09-24-2019, 11:56 PM
MJ said numerous times that the reason he didn't want to play for another coach was because he didn't want to start over and build another championship offense and chemistry

He knew that can take years

Unfortunately for him, the culture of team-hopping for ready- made stars and championship talent didn't exist back then...

i.e. building a championship offense and team chemistry over several years???.... :yaohappy:... Today's player is like "that shit is for the birds.. get me a superteam"... Otoh, organic growth is all MJ knew

Da_Realist
09-25-2019, 12:13 AM

MJ played ball
MJ retired again

MJ is getting a few laughs in too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/how-michael-jordan-spends-his-money-2015-3

bigkingsfan
09-25-2019, 01:22 AM
MJ is getting a few laughs in too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/how-michael-jordan-spends-his-money-2015-3
1.9 :roll:

305Baller
09-25-2019, 04:17 AM
took a plane u ****in retard

ImKobe
09-25-2019, 04:23 AM
MJ said numerous times that the reason he didn't want to play for another coach was because he didn't want to start over and build another championship offense and chemistry

Unfortunately for him, the culture of team-hopping for ready- made stars and championship talent didn't exist back then...

i.e. building a championship offense and team chemistry over several years???.... :yaohappy:... Today's player is like "that shit is for the birds.. get me a superteam"... Otoh, organic growth is all MJ knew

He could have joined the Lakers or Spurs and won a 7th ring but his pride didn't allow him to be anything other than a 1st option player so a bad team like the Wizards were his only real option. I don't think he cared about winning at that point, he just wanted to show people he still had it and he was pretty damn great for someone at age 38-39 in 2002 season. He put up 45/10/7/3 on the Nets, a team with a #1 ranked defense that also made the Finals that year, I think he had a similar game against the Nets in 03 as well.

Manny98
09-25-2019, 06:04 AM
Colluded with the number 1 pick of the draft and still missed the playoffs :roll:

guy
09-25-2019, 07:13 AM
There was actually a rumor back then that Phil offered Jordan to come back with the Lakers before Jordan went to Washington.

https://books.google.com/books?id=leziAAAAQBAJ&pg=PT696&lpg=PT696&dq=jay+mariotti+michael+jordan+phil+jackson+minima l&source=bl&ots=Trx8Hwemhd&sig=ACfU3U2iSoZOqkmVkOFiuMwPo1TFQg667g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKt-Xi6uvkAhWCmVkKHYV8CLQQ6AEwFnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=jay%20mariotti%20michael%20jordan%20phil%20jacks on%20minimal&f=false

Da_Realist
09-25-2019, 09:24 AM
He could have joined the Lakers or Spurs and won a 7th ring but his pride didn't allow him to be anything other than a 1st option player so a bad team like the Wizards were his only real option. I don't think he cared about winning at that point, he just wanted to show people he still had it and he was pretty damn great for someone at age 38-39 in 2002 season. He put up 45/10/7/3 on the Nets, a team with a #1 ranked defense that also made the Finals that year, I think he had a similar game against the Nets in 03 as well.

This. MJ was a different breed. He was about challenging himself. That's why he participated in the dunking contest and the 3pt shootout. That's why he attempted to play professional baseball. What's the point of winning if all you have to do is show up? That's for these beta simps playing today. To a real competitor like MJ, winning like that would be like eating popcorn for dinner. Empty calories.

The most satisfying part of winning is building the chemistry and fortitude necessary for it. That's what makes winning so special. When you team hop or chase rings, you never develop a bond to the franchise, team or fans because it was cheap. Then it's no problem going to the next (ready made) team.

jlip
09-25-2019, 09:58 AM
It definitely had nothing to do with 9/11, because, as has been mentioned already, he was already in charge of the Wiizards before then. If memory serves me correctly, he was slated to make his official announcement on 9/11 that he was coming out of retirement to play for them.

Again, I don't think my recall is off, but I vaguely remember waking up on 9/11, turning my TV on ESPN expecting to hear his announcement, but started seeing news of the tragedies of that day.

But why even chose to take ownership in the Wizards as opposed to any other team is totally beyond me.

guy
09-25-2019, 10:08 AM
It definitely had nothing to do with 9/11, because, as has been mentioned already, he was already in charge of the Wiizards before then. If memory serves me correctly, he was slated to make his official announcement on 9/11 that he was coming out of retirement to play for them.

Again, I don't think my recall is off, but I vaguely remember waking up on 9/11, turning my TV on ESPN expecting to hear his announcement, but started seeing news of the tragedies of that day.

But why even chose to take ownership in the Wizards as opposed to any other team is totally beyond me.

Yea he then delayed the announcement out of respect and decided to donate his salary for it. But it was pretty much confirmed 100% that day that Jordan was coming back.

Jay-Z also came out with Blueprint that day.

Hey Yo
09-25-2019, 10:55 AM

So Phil had nothing to do with the offense or chemistry?

Why not MJ be player / coach if he was the alleged mastermind behind it all?

The real reason he quit again was because there was no chance in hell that he could defend the title w/o both Scottie and Phil + the mental exhaustion of course.

madmax
09-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Why would Jordan play for the Wizards just because the government detonated a few buildings?

:lol

postmupndunkit
09-25-2019, 11:17 AM
By choice, Brother Jordan did it to pay homage his Free and Accepted Masonic Brotherhood. Why not play in our most "sacred" city in America?:rockon:

TheMan
09-25-2019, 12:04 PM
FNR/starface/Turbo Slayer/MickJagger etc...obviously he wasn't gonna keep playing for a Bulls team rebuilding going into his 36 year old version. Plus, he hated Jerry Krause. Had he been a beta like your boi Bran, he would've followed PJ to LA for more easy titles playing alongside Shaq, young Kobe, HoGrant, Harper, Horry etc., but MJ never believed in short cuts.

:confusedshrug:

TheMan
09-25-2019, 12:13 PM
There was actually a rumor back then that Phil offered Jordan to come back with the Lakers before Jordan went to Washington.

https://books.google.com/books?id=leziAAAAQBAJ&pg=PT696&lpg=PT696&dq=jay+mariotti+michael+jordan+phil+jackson+minima l&source=bl&ots=Trx8Hwemhd&sig=ACfU3U2iSoZOqkmVkOFiuMwPo1TFQg667g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKt-Xi6uvkAhWCmVkKHYV8CLQQ6AEwFnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=jay%20mariotti%20michael%20jordan%20phil%20jacks on%20minimal&f=false
I remember those rumors.

Like other posters mentioned, he could've EASILY gone to any contender, most notably the young Lakers, and right away take the easy way out to more titles. Could've had at least 3 more rings with LA but by that point, he wouldn't be the clear cut first option with a prime Shaq and up and coming Kobe. Dude had too much pride to ride coattails to more chips, though he still had some gas left in the tank and I could easily see MJ winning one FMVP with those Lakers...sorta like KAJ did in his downside of his career with LA Showtime.

OTOH, L39ron has zero problems with riding coattails, he even promised Kawhi that he would tailor his game to fit Kawhi's :facepalm Thank God KL told him to fukk off :lol

Turbo Slayer
09-25-2019, 12:37 PM
FNR/starface/Turbo Slayer/MickJagger etc...obviously he wasn't gonna keep playing for a Bulls team rebuilding going into his 36 year old version. Plus, he hated Jerry Krause. Had he been a beta like your boi Bran, he would've followed PJ to LA for more easy titles playing alongside Shaq, young Kobe, HoGrant, Harper, Horry etc., but MJ never believed in short cuts.

:confusedshrug: Love you TheMan. Add me on PS4 : TheC_O_B_R_A. We can play together bro :cheers: #StayBlessed