PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between a clutch shot and a lucky shot.

NZStreetBaller
05-10-2015, 01:52 AM
if a game winning shot is made seriously how do u determine wether its lucky or clutch???

navy
05-10-2015, 01:54 AM
Lucky is if it takes a bounce off the glass or around the rim in a non intended way. Lucky shots are still clutch though.

SouBeachTalents
05-10-2015, 01:55 AM
The only way I could define a "lucky" shot is one the player wouldn't be able to make again. Like Jordan's game winner in the '98 Finals was clutch, while Fisher's .04 shot while obviously clutch was more of the lucky variety

NZStreetBaller
05-10-2015, 01:56 AM
Lucky is if it takes a bounce off the glass or around the rim in a non intended way. Lucky shots are still clutch though.

What??? Lol so unless its nothing but net its not clutch??

NZStreetBaller
05-10-2015, 01:57 AM
The only way I could define a "lucky" shot is one the player wouldn't be able to make again. Like Jordan's game winner in the '98 Finals was clutch, while Fisher's .04 shot while obviously clutch was more of the lucky variety

So shot clock time determines it???. Isnt fisher considered clutch??

NZStreetBaller
05-10-2015, 01:58 AM
I would definately say reggie miller was clutch because he nailed a few shots against the knicks not just one out of the blue

navy
05-10-2015, 01:58 AM
Read my post again.

SouBeachTalents
05-10-2015, 02:02 AM
So shot clock time determines it???. Isnt fisher considered clutch??

Bro, you really think Fisher makes that shot and/or gets it off in time even 2/10 times?

dunksby
05-10-2015, 02:05 AM
Well I'd say that AD 3pt game winner was as close to lucky as you can get since he is not a known 3pt shooter but drained that over Durant's outstretched arms.

sbw19
05-10-2015, 02:08 AM
perspective

BuffaloBill
05-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Clutch is when you're a fan of the player that made the shot. Lucky is when you aren't.

SugarHill
05-10-2015, 02:13 AM
Clutch is when you're a fan of the player that made the shot. Lucky is when you aren't.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/cfoh456/Fall%202011%20Random%20Gifs/bingo.gif[

305Baller
05-10-2015, 02:14 AM

This.

jbryan1984
05-10-2015, 02:25 AM
I'd say it depends on the player and how often he does it. Paul Pierce today, you just knew he would hit it cause he has a history of it. I remember a game several years ago he hit one against the Knicks. Its where nate Rob jumped on his back then fell off. Reggie miller was known for clutch shots. That kid who hit the game winner for houston last year against portland. That's a luck shot. Fish was also pretty clutch in his day.

Marikina
05-10-2015, 02:28 AM
The two terms denote different meanings. A lucky shot refers more to the probability (or lack thereof) of a shot's success, while a clutch shot refers to ability of player to conjure an important shot in a given moment when it's needed.

BuffaloBill
05-10-2015, 02:32 AM
Remember that game winner Kyrie hit against the raptors a few years ago? When he just calmly walked the ball up the court then pulls up behind the 3 point line without a care in the world. That was one of the iciest shots I've ever seen live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcQmOQO78Q

Mr. Jabbar
05-10-2015, 02:33 AM
eye test

ain't it beautiful?

Giaodollo
05-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Remember that game winner Kyrie hit against the raptors a few years ago? When he just calmly walked the ball up the court then pulls up behind the 3 point line without a care in the world. That was one of the iciest shots I've ever seen live

All I took from this post is that you watched LeBron less Cavs vs Raptors live in the regular season.:biggums:

ImKobe
05-10-2015, 02:53 AM
lucky shot = lebron game winner
clutch shot = kobe game winner

bigt
05-10-2015, 03:01 AM
The difference is agenda. Some will claim Pierce's shot today was 'luck' because it makes them feel better. Others will claim it's clutch because Pierce has a history of doing just that.

Being a Celtics fan...you can guess which side of the fence I'm on for that debate :oldlol:

BuffaloBill
05-10-2015, 03:11 AM
All I took from this post is that you watched LeBron less Cavs vs Raptors live in the regular season.:biggums:

Aren't you a Jazz fan? :biggums:

Giaodollo
05-10-2015, 03:14 AM
Aren't you a Jazz fan? :biggums:

You wouldn't watch Spurs if they sucked? But why would you suffer through a game between two teams that sucks?

Anyways, Jazz are good, been bad for two years only because of rebuild. Making the playoffs next year if Gobert is healthy.

BuffaloBill
05-10-2015, 03:27 AM
You wouldn't watch Spurs if they sucked? But why would you suffer through a game between two teams that sucks?

Anyways, Jazz are good, been bad for two years only because of rebuild. Making the playoffs next year if Gobert is healthy.

Bad teams can have exciting players. I watched a lot of wolves games this season too. They're trash but they got Wiggins and Lavine.

Giaodollo
05-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Bad teams can have exciting players. I watched a lot of wolves games this season too. They're trash but they got Wiggins and Lavine.
get a life gayboy

Alan Ogg
05-10-2015, 03:41 AM
If it goes in it's clutch, regardless of intention. But if say, the player did not intend to bank it but they did bank it for the win, then they were lucky.

GimmeThat
05-10-2015, 03:51 AM
If it goes in it's clutch, regardless of intention. But if say, the player did not intend to bank it but they did bank it for the win, then they were lucky.

And in street fights, if someone who is down, accidentally swings a punch and hits the opponent right for a KO.

Lucky? Clutch?

Kvnzhangyay
05-10-2015, 03:51 AM
whether or not it fits the agenda

DCL
05-10-2015, 03:59 AM
Lucky shot = a shot u make in game even if you couldnt repeat it in like a bunch of tries when you are fking around by yourself in practice

Clutch shot = a shot you have developed already that's money during the most critical moment of the game with defenders all trying to get up your ass

bdreason
05-10-2015, 04:16 AM
How you act after it goes in.

Alan Ogg
05-10-2015, 04:39 AM
Clutch has to do with the timeliness and magnitude of importance of the shot.

buddha
05-10-2015, 04:55 AM

when you consider that he missed his intended target by so much that it bounced off the backboard and then into the hoop, it really can't be defined as clutch. that's tantamount to considering a pass that is so far off target that a defender gets a hand on the ball but it bounces towards a teammate who gets the ball and hits the shot a good assist.

ralph_i_el
05-10-2015, 08:28 AM
1. Bank shots from that angle have a better chance of going in

2. It was clutch for PP to even get that shot off once he wore the clock down.

Blue&Orange
05-10-2015, 08:55 AM
people saying Pierce game winner was lucky are certified retards, that don't understand that the backboard is there for a reason, and that in fact bank shots are high percentage shots.

Seriously why da **** are you wathching basketball for, when you know shit about it? Let me guess, Lebron?

Kblaze8855
05-10-2015, 09:13 AM
As was said above it comes down to who you are a fan of.

When Kobe banked in that game winner on Wade years ago people on here were outraged...trying to coin new terms and shit. I remember "Brick bank" being popular for a while.

I was on here in 03 or whatever it was when Reggie hit that 40 foot turnaround bank shot to tie it vs the Nets....he was old and even people who didnt care for him throughout his career(like me) were excited to see him come through again. It was just a great sports moment. Nobody really talked about if he intended to bank it in....from 40 feet.

Jordan, Bird, Sam Jones, and so on all hit huge shots they may or may not have intended to bank in. You watch the videos few are claiming it wasnt clutch. And to go another way...

People mention the likelyhood of being able to do it again.

How likely do you think it is Jerry West could have taken the inbound pass and dribbled up to near halfcourt and wet a 60 foot floater to send a finals game into OT....again?

That mean it isnt clutch? I read Wilt talking about it. He said after the Knicks scored to take the lead everyone was just frozen. Didnt know what to do...just gave up. But Jerry runs up and yells...demands the ball. He jogs up and knocks down a 60 footer with a hand in his face to force OT with no time left.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/4-28-2014/CMBZiu.gif

We really saying that because if he tried it 100 more times it probably never goes in again...it wasnt clutch?

He took control of his destiny. He demanded the ball and the accountability when nobody else wanted anything to do with it. He created the chance for the unlikely to happen. And it worked....I call that clutch.

Lucky id call....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dRDW9idKTxk/UpuFSeWLfZI/AAAAAAAAATA/zk35OSSwmiw/s1600/os+386+293+2.gif

JRs shot wasnt an issue of skill and creating a chance under pressure. It was a no look over the shoulder flip from 35 feet. He and I are roughly as likely to be able to do that again. Its not gonna happen for hundreds if not thousands of attempts.

Id say put in position to make the big plays Rose, Pierce, Kobe and dozens of others were in to make some of the unlikely shots they did....their chances greatly exceed mine.

Pierce was going to his off hand, closely guarded with a double coming, and hit a fading 20 footer over the arms of two defenders as he fell to the ground.

Me in that position....we are gonna lose. Its Pierces physical and skill advantages over me that make him more likely to even get the shot off.

Those differences are why hes better than me...than you.

Id call a straight up lucky shot something barely if at all decided by the physical traits and skills of the person doing it.

Average ISH poster in place of these dudes likely doesnt get a shot off....much less make it at the buzzer.

The entirety of the play is in consideration when the issue is clutch or not. At least to me.

If he banks it in(Rose, Pierce, Kobe, and Reggie)...or "misses" and it bounces high and goes in(99 Alan Houston or 69 Don Nelson), or its a one handed 22 foot floater off balance to force ot(Bird vs the Blazers...Nate robinson last year)....its kinda immaterial.

We have all made shots we just pulled out of our asses. Ugly Antawn Jamison looking floaters when you can barely see the rim. Reverses as we go by under the basket that are damn near no look just off the feel for your positioning.

The higher level of player the less I call such things luck.

And even if there is an element of luck(as there is on virtually all unlikely shots) the larger factor is the skill and will to make the play happen in the first place.

Clutch is the disregard for what happens if you fail...taking it on yourself...and making it happen. If it has to roll in, or be a 50 footer, bank in, or whatever....you came though under pressure. Which makes it clutch.

Hot Rod Hundley told a story I think sums it up nicely. In the 62(I believe it was 62) finals Frank Selvy made two shots late to put the Lakers in position to win at the buzzer....and win the NBA title wit ha shot. Ball comes in....Jerry West is smothered...cant get the ball. Rod is open after a pump fake. He has time to think...and this is his words "If I make it....im the mayor of LA...but if I miss...they will run me out of town". So he passes it to Selvy who also has a decent look.

Selvy misses...and Hundley has been calling his house mocking him about it for 50 ****ing years(He calls and says "Nice shot frank!" and hangs up on him). This dude didnt have the balls to take the shot for the title. So he clowns the guy he put in position to have to cover for him...and take the blame.

Just feels like a bitch move to me.

Frank was ready to suffer the consequences. Nobody even remembers Hotrod except for yelling "Stockton to Malone!" as the Jazz commentator for 20 years.

Hundley didnt have it in him to take the shot. Frank did.

There is something to respect in that. Even if he missed.

Clutch to me is more than if it goes in at times....and when it does? It takes too much to get a ball into the basket from 30 feet with 3 seconds to do it defended by an athletic 6'9'' guy with the game on the line for me to act like there is no basketball ability involved.

If its straight up luck it wouldnt even matter who they give the ball to in those situations. They have 12 NBA players at their disposal...but coaches keep picking the same people to pull it off. They give it to the guy most likely to make something crazy happen. And such people do it too often to call it luck id say.

I can make a play thats straight up luck. I suspect if I tried to:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/89431/kobe-game-winner-vs-heat-o.gif

Wade would throw my shit into the stands.

There is always an element of luck on a long contested shot...as in....its very unlikely to happen again. I think Kobe even said it was lucky. Im not sure...but I feel like some Kobe haters were pointing out him saying something like that.

But its still clutch.

Not being able to repeat it doesnt mean it doesnt take a lot of ability and focus.

How many times have we seen someone well defended just turn the ball over attempting to get it to someone else when they need to get a shot off?

There is something to be said for the "**** it....." players of the world with the balls and talent to get those shots off.

Give the ball to me....99% of us...and we lose every one of these games.

The difference is more than luck. Just getting a shot off over NBA defenders when they know who is gonna take it and how long they have to do it is more than luck.

These guys didnt just wake up one day as the caliber of player needed for an NBA coach to give them the ball over 8-9 world class teammates with 3 seconds left to win a playoff game. There is more skill at work here than some want to give them credit for.

ArbitraryWater
05-10-2015, 09:14 AM
difference between calling bank and calling game..

no but forreal, if LeBron would hit those bank shots, you know nobody is calling that "clutch", that becomes luck all of a sudden :oldlol:

Bernkastel
05-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Depends on the person shooting.

sdot_thadon
05-10-2015, 02:22 PM
:applause: that pretty much sums it up lol. Seriously though it's more a shot guys normally take vs an improbable one.

KG215
05-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Well I'd say that AD 3pt game winner was as close to lucky as you can get since he is not a known 3pt shooter but drained that over Durant's outstretched arms.
That, and he double-clutched mid-air and was off balance. Great shot, yes, but I think that game winner was more "luck" than Rose's or Pierce's.

Optimus Prime
05-10-2015, 02:29 PM
It really does depend on the player taking the shot.

MJ, Kobe, Dirk or Pierce, for example, making an extremely difficult shot to win the game is clutch, because they have an entire career of making tough shots in crucial moments.

LeBeta, Rose, Lillard or some other random player making a tough shot = luck, because while they have the athleticism to make such shots, they have no history of being clutch.

http://i.imgur.com/RK66s.jpg

TheBigVeto
05-10-2015, 10:48 PM
A lucky shot is any shot that leaves Kobe's hands and goes into the basket.

dreamwarrior
05-10-2015, 11:05 PM
They're all clutch, unless you put up a shot that gets blocked but still goes in.

J Shuttlesworth
05-10-2015, 11:07 PM

Reminds me of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI1GLB-byeQ

tmacattack33
05-10-2015, 11:13 PM
if a game winning shot is made seriously how do u determine wether its lucky or clutch???

Pretty easy.

Bank shot (without calling glass) = luck

Any type of hail mary heave beyond 45 feet = luck

MJistheGOAT
05-11-2015, 12:02 AM
MJ shot = clutch

Rest = luck

Trolling

Straight_Ballin
05-11-2015, 12:04 AM
It really does depend on the player taking the shot.

MJ, Kobe, Dirk or Pierce, for example, making an extremely difficult shot to win the game is clutch, because they have an entire career of making tough shots in crucial moments.

LeBeta, Rose, Lillard or some other random player making a tough shot = luck, because while they have the athleticism to make such shots, they have no history of being clutch.

http://i.imgur.com/RK66s.jpg

Lol wade at 3/26 but claimed on ISH to be the best player under 6'4 in the history of the game. I laughed.

AintNoSunshine
05-11-2015, 12:31 AM
Lucky: see game 3

Clutch: see game 4

TheBigVeto
05-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Lol wade at 3/26 but claimed on ISH to be the best player under 6'4 in the history of the game. I laughed.

Wade has always been overrated. His 2006 ring is the most tainted ring outside those Lakers' rings during David Stern era.