PDA

View Full Version : Really though, how does Lebron go from shooting 60% last playoffs

lilteapot
05-10-2015, 07:53 PM
to 35% this year?

And don't tell me "no HGH" because it makes no sense

navy
05-10-2015, 07:53 PM
His 3 point shot died.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
His 3 point shot died.
It's not just his 3 though. His jumper in general looks flat. And didn't he shoot ~35-36% on 5 3PA per game this year? Somehow his free throws are looking great though. He's not taking smart threes either. He should play off ball and spot up for some corner threes to get his confidence in his shot back.

K Xerxes
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
He is certainly declining. The fact that he is probably still the best player in the NBA just highlights the sorry state the league is in right now with talent/injuries. It makes for great suspense and TV though, so I'm not really complaining.

Indian guy
05-10-2015, 07:58 PM
1) Plays in an iso-ball offense, so quality of shots has greatly decreased compared to 12-14 Heat teams, who had a legit system in place.

2) Can't shoot. He's shooting sub-30% on "jump shots" in the playoffs according to basketball-reference, and that's not including today's game.

lilteapot
05-10-2015, 07:59 PM
It's not just his 3 though. His jumper in general looks flat. And didn't he shoot ~35-36% on 5 3PA per game this year? Somehow his free throws are looking great though. He's not taking smart threes either. He should play off ball and spot up for some corner threes to get his confidence in his shot back.

He was asked about it in the Game 3 postgame presser and he pretty much said not as many catch and shoots is one big reason why. He's one of the best catch and shoot 3 pt makers in the league so it has an effect. Part of it's coaching, but a great deal of it is on him for running the shot clock down to 5 seconds and taking off the dribble jumpers.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:00 PM
1) Plays in an iso-ball offense, so quality of shots has greatly decreased compared to 12-14 Heat teams, who had a legit system in place.

2) Can't shoot. He's shooting sub-30% on "jump shots" in the playoffs according to basketball-reference, and that's not including today's game.
Agree with you but how does someone who worked hard to become a solid shooter suddenly completely forget how to shoot this late in their careers? Especially when said player was a good shooter a year ago. Hopefully he gets his shot back to some degree after today.

nba_55

This.
Also, his teammates are less talented (with no love and injured irving), so more attention on him.

navy
If you reduce the 3 point attempts and put them back up to the percentages he shot last year he would be at at a around his usual field goal percentages.

Who's gonna create him open 3s?

nba_55
05-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Agree with you but how does someone who worked hard to become a solid shooter suddenly completely forget how to shoot this late in their careers? Especially when said player was a good shooter a year ago. Hopefully he gets his shot back to some degree after today.

The same thing happened against Spurs in 2013. He simply forgot to shoot. I think it will come back.

RRR3
He was asked about it in the Game 3 postgame presser and he pretty much said not as many catch and shoots is one big reason why. He's one of the best catch and shoot 3 pt makers in the league so it has an effect. Part of it's coaching, but a great deal of it is on him for running the shot clock down to 5 seconds and taking off the dribble jumpers.
Good point but in the past LeBron was way better at hitting contested shots than he is currently.

lilteapot

A lot of it has to do with rhythm too. Once he gets catch and shoot opportunities he gets into rhythm and these terrible jap step/stepback jumpers will go down.

outbreak
No love to spread the floor, Lebron looks like he REALLY needs floor spacing now that he is losing his quick step. He ends up settling for way too many mid-long range jumpers because he can't beat his man.

Lebron23
His shot aren't falling. And they really miss the services of Kevin Love. With Love the Cavs have a better spacing, and LeBron with less FG's attempts. He was forced to play like Prime AI because Irving is injured, and Love is out of the playoffs.

Lebron23
05-10-2015, 08:02 PM
No love to spread the floor, Lebron looks like he REALLY needs floor spacing now that he is losing his quick step. He ends up settling for way too many mid-long range jumpers because he can't beat his man.

True

nba_55
05-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Well, he also always has 2 guys waiting for him in the paint. So, he has to take the shot.

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:03 PM
His 3 point shot died.

How are you guys this clueless?

Look at the FGA - in this year's playoffs, Lebron is averaging 24 FGA per game - last year it was only 17.. But you're sitting there trying to figure out why Lebron shoots worse this year?

Damn, y'all dumb as hell.. but we knew this already

For his career, Lebron averages 18.9 FGA in the playoffs.. MJ averaged 25.1.. How many rings does MJ win if he averaged 18.9 like Lebron?... Just goes to show how much better Lebron's supporting cast has been, and how much softer the league is that 18.9 shot attempts gets it done nowadays.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:03 PM
The same thing happened against Spurs in 2013. He simply forgot to shoot. I think it will come back.
My opinion on that was more he got psyched out by the Spurs. Here's a guy who's become a good shooter after working on it and suddenly he's getting left wide open. So he starts losing confidence and doesn't take advantage of those opportunities until it's almost too late.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Yeah this is true and it'd be understandable to see his efficiency drop but not to this degree. Something's wrong with his shot

nba_55
05-10-2015, 08:07 PM
I think next game he will have a much better shooting game. His confidence will be higher after the game winner.

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Fatigue.....not that hard to figure out.

Look how much he's played and heavily relied upon his last 10yrs during the regular and postseasons.

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Fatigue.....not that hard to figure out.

Look how much he's played and heavily relied upon his last 10yrs during the regular and postseasons.
riiiight... the fact that he's averaging 24 FGA this year instead of last year's 17 has nothing to do with it..

how is it even possible to not be aware of this

TheMarkMadsen
05-10-2015, 08:15 PM
riiiight... the fact that he's averaging 24 FGA this year instead of last year's 17 has nothing to do with it..

bran stans struggle with this concept

ArbitraryWater
05-10-2015, 08:16 PM
people struggling with the fact that 2014 Bron was better :ohwell:

nba_55
05-10-2015, 08:16 PM

1-9

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:17 PM
people struggling with the fact that 2014 Bron was better :ohwell:
I miss 2012-14 Bran :(

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM

He probably makes more of those this year if he wasn't so petered out from carrying teams in the regular/ postseasons for the last 10yrs. All while looking to get to his 5th straight Finals appearance.

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
His team doesn't have great spacing right now and he's getting much worse looks all around for the most part.

And his shot is absolutely broken everywhere. He's not finishing well at the rim, his post game is awful, his mid range isn't there...and he's not getting rhythm threes (which is the only way he can make them regardless)

It's amazing they are 2-2 in this series.

The Bulls have to be so sick to their stomachs that Lebron has played this shitty and Irving is injured...maybe like 50%...they didn't have JR for 2 games...shump is banged up...and no Love.

If the Bulls can't and don't take advantage of that...they have nobody to blame but themselves. Just kind of crazy...these East teams are total garbage right now. Ugly to say the least.

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
He probably makes more of those this year if he wasn't so petered out from carrying teams in the regular/ postseasons for the last 10yrs. All while looking to get to his 5th straight Finals appearance.
Horseshit - For his careeer, Lebron only averages 18.9 shot attempts in the playoffs - this is NOT a large load.

MJ averaged 25.1 shot attempts in the playoffs - he never would've made the playoffs with only 18.9 shot attempts..

That shows how much larger MJ's load was, and how much softer the league currently is, since only 18.9 shots gets it done.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:24 PM
His team doesn't have great spacing right now and he's getting much worse looks all around for the most part.

And his shot is absolutely broken everywhere. He's not finishing well at the rim, his post game is awful, his mid range isn't there...and he's not getting rhythm threes (which is the only way he can make them regardless)

It's amazing they are 2-2 in this series.

The Bulls have to be so sick to their stomachs that Lebron has played this shitty and Irving is injured...maybe like 50%...they didn't have JR for 2 games...shump is banged up...and no Love.

If the Bulls can't and don't take advantage of that...they have nobody to blame but themselves. Just kind of crazy...these East teams are total garbage right now. Ugly to say the least.
He's missed a bunch of threes he usually hits.

inclinerator
05-10-2015, 08:26 PM
kawhi leonard was never the best defender on bran, jimmy butler was, bran shot 42 percent vs the bulls one year against him also

and the fact that he should be averaging alot more freethrows, will hurt ur fg

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 08:30 PM
He's missed a bunch of threes he usually hits.

Well of course...he's shooting like what...13% now on 3's in the playoffs?

But even if he made 10% more (a huge bump)...he'd still be shooting awful. So many of his 3's aren't in the flow...and Lebron can't shoot for the most part unless it's in the flow from distance.

His shot is just broke right now. And he's playing tentatively around Butler...like how he plays around Leonard.

RRR3
05-10-2015, 08:33 PM
He's not playing tentatively :wtf:
He's actually been shooting more than he should be

I recall LeBron hitting 3s with guys in his face last year. Don't you? He's worked to become a good shooter I am mystified as to why he's lost his touch.

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Horseshit - For his careeer, Lebron only averages 18.9 shot attempts in the playoffs - this is NOT a large load.

MJ averaged 25.1 shot attempts in the playoffs - he never would've made the playoffs with only 18.9 shot attempts..

That shows how much larger MJ's load was, and how much softer the league currently is, since only 18.9 shots gets it done.
Horseshit.

MJ and the Bulls made the playoffs in 1985 while avg.19.8 shot attempts.

LeBron's been carrying teams for the last 10yrs and looking for his 5th straight Finals appearance.

Like I said....fatigue is the factor.

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:34 PM
His shot is just broke right now. And he's playing tentatively around Butler...like how he plays around Leonard.

Lebron has never averaged this many FGA in any playoff run - THAT'S why he's shooting that much worse.

I'm certain that if Lebron's FGA went back down to 17 FGA like last year, his percentage would shoot right back up to 56%.. I'm 100% positive of this

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 08:36 PM
He's not playing tentatively :wtf:
He's actually been shooting more than he should be

I recall LeBron hitting 3s with guys in his face last year. Don't you? He's worked to become a good shooter I am mystified as to why he's lost his touch.
I explained it in post #21

ShawkFactory
05-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Lebron has never averaged this many FGA in any playoff run - THAT'S why he's shooting that much worse.

I'm certain that if Lebron's FGA went back down to 17 FGA like last year, his percentage would shoot right back up to 56%.. I'm 100% positive of this
:wtf:

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Horseshit.

MJ and the Bulls made the playoffs in 1985 while avg.19.8 shot attempts.

LeBron's been carrying teams for the last 10yrs and looking for his 5th straight Finals appearance.

Are you stupid?

MJ averaged 25.1 FGA for his CAREER in the playoffs, compared to Lebron's 18.9.

If MJ had averaged only 18.9 FGA, he would NEVER have made it past the first round, whereas Lebron gets frieking championships - that shows how much bigger MJ's load was and how much softer the league currently is that 18.9 can get it done.

Kvnzhangyay
05-10-2015, 08:37 PM
He is certainly declining. The fact that he is probably still the best player in the NBA just highlights the sorry state the league is in right now with talent/injuries. It makes for great suspense and TV though, so I'm not really complaining.

Aging doesn't really account for worse jump shots... (at least definitely not by a 25% difference)

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:39 PM
:wtf:
you don't think that Lebron's shooting percentage would be much higher if his FGA went from the current 25 back down to 17 like last year?

than you're a dumbass

ShawkFactory
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
you don't think that Lebron's shooting percentage would be much higher if his FGA went back down to 17 like last year?

than you're a dumbass
I didn't say that. You post in general was just retarded.

Kvnzhangyay
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM

It doesn't make THAT much of a dramatic difference. If Lebron shot 24 FGA last year he probably would have shot upper 40s in %, and DEFINITELY not like what, 35% this year?

Taking 7 more shots per game to make .7 more? :lol

Guess he just loses his jumpshot every other year :confusedshrug:

outbreak
05-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Well, he also always has 2 guys waiting for him in the paint. So, he has to take the shot.
That's true but in his younger days it didn't matter who was in the paint as he'd still get to the rim at will, it's not a knock on him as all players age eventually.

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Are you stupid?

MJ averaged 25.1 FGA for his CAREER in the playoffs, compared to Lebron's 18.9.

If MJ had averaged only 18.9 FGA, he would NEVER have made it past the first round, whereas Lebron gets frieking championships - that shows how much bigger MJ's load was and how much softer the league currently is that 18.9 can get it done.
Are you stupid?

You said Bulls don't make the playoffs if MJ only takes 19 attempts per game. I showed you where he did in 1985.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

WITNESS!!

yarrak
05-10-2015, 08:48 PM

You're dumb. He misses at least 5-10 shots a game that he normally makes. Up until this year, he used to be one of the best off-hand finishers in the game if not the best. This year he got significantly worse..It's not just his off hand either, he misses a lot of easy layups this year. Also his jumper right now is just broke. He can't make a jumper to save his life.

MJ is obviously the better scorer..There is no question about that but your logic is just dumb. Past two years his average for 3's was around 38%. Right now he is nowhere close to his averages. His jumper is just terrible. I'm pretty sure it's just mental/confidence issue. This type of stuff would have never happened with guys like MJ-Kobe. Lebron is too good of a shooter to be shooting this bad. It's just pathetic right now. He is letting things get into his head. We've seen examples of this before..

That game winner was the best thing that could happen to him. He really needed that to gain some confidence back in his shot. I expect him to shoot a lot better next game.

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 08:49 PM

It's more than just that.

What you say is accurate and obvious...but even taking only 17 shots a game. Lebron in his current form is not shooting 56% from the field and 41% from three.

His shot is broke.

It's a combination of his teams spacing, increased shot attempts, good defense by Bulls/Butler, fatigue, and Lebron's shot being horribly broke right now.

He's very lucky to play in such a terrible conference that he can play this horribly and still win playoff series.

3ball
05-10-2015, 08:55 PM
He's very lucky to play in such a terrible conference that he can play this horribly and still win playoff series.

You guys act like taking almost 50% more FGA shouldn't have a massive impact.. It's THE primary factor.. All that other stuff you listed pale in comparison.

Also, this type of thing sheds light and proper perspective on the MJ comparisons.. Lebron only averages 18.9 FGA for his career in the playoffs - but this series, he's averaging 25.1, which is exactly the same as Jordan's CAREER playoff average.. So only now is Lebron getting a small taste of MJ's standard offensive load.

If MJ had only averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he never would've won any rings, or even recognized as an all-time great - but Lebron gets to do both, which shows how much better his supporting casts have been, and how much softer the league is (since 18.9 shots gets it done, but MJ wouldn't have won any rings or even been considered a very good player taking so few shots).

edrick
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
There are many factors. New teammates, system, lesser talent (mainly due to injuries, which allows defenses to focus more on him), declining, etc.

Blue&Orange
05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
op is retarded.

Lebron is the biggest statpader cherry picker the NBA ever seen, like i said many times. Said multiple times also if he took more shots efficiency would go out the drain. Said multiple times the only perimeter player that shot less from the perimeter was Landry Fields because it was true.

I'm i surprised with his efficiency now that he needs to take more shots? No.

Kvnzhangyay
05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
You guys act like taking almost 50% more FGA shouldn't have a massive impact.. It's THE primary factor.. All that other stuff you listed pale in comparison.

Also, this type of thing sheds light and proper perspective on the MJ comparisons.. Lebron only averages 18.9 FGA for his career in the playoffs - but this series, he's averaging 25.1, which is exactly the same as Jordan's CAREER playoff average.. So only now is Lebron getting a small taste of MJ's standard offensive load.

If MJ had only averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he never would've won any rings, or even recognized as an all-time great - but Lebron gets to do both, which shows how much better his supporting casts have been, and how much softer the league is (that 18.9 shots can get it done).

Lebron last year shot 4.3 3s a game in the playoffs, hit .407 of them. This year, Lebron is shooting 4.6 a game, and hitting .156 of them

The decrease is pathetic :facepalm

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Also, this type of thing sheds light and proper perspective on the MJ comparisons - Lebron only takes 18.9 FGA for his career in the playoffs, but this series, he's averaging 25.1, which is exactly the same as Jordan's CAREER playoff average - so only now is Lebron getting a small taste of MJ's standard offensive load.

If MJ had only averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he never would've won any rings, or even recognized as an all-time great - but Lebron gets to do both, which shows how much better his supporting casts have been, and how much softer the league is (that 18.9 shots can get it done).

For starters, MJ was a way better player than Lebron...and certainly a far better scorer.

Lebron isn't MJ...he's not that type of offensive player. He's a combo of Magic, Michael, Bird, Oscar...etc. He's not a pure scorer like MJ. He doesn't have the off ball skill or post game or off the dribble pull up game that made MJ unreal good.

So that is your first problem. You expect Lebron to be MJ as a scorer? He's not...and never was.

The other stuff matters. Lebron would still be shooting like shit in the playoffs right now even if he took less shots....all his shots are pretty bad. He's not getting great looks at all.

He's not finishing at the rim...he's not hitting the mid range...and he's not making 3's.

You can't put all that on taking more shots.

Again, it of course factors in, but it's not the only part of it.

Have you watched these games? He's literally missing everything that isn't a layup or a complete in flow shot.

It all factors in...and Lebron is not and never was the type of player/scorer MJ was. Not his game and it never will be.

J Shuttlesworth
05-10-2015, 09:01 PM
He's 41.8% this year in the playoffs, but I have no idea why his jumper got so much worse after 1 year.

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 09:04 PM

If MJ had only averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he never would've won any rings, or even recognized as an all-time great - but Lebron gets to do both, which shows how much better his supporting casts have been, and how much softer the league is (since 18.9 shots gets it done, but MJ wouldn't have won any rings or even been considered a very good player taking so few shots).
:oldlol: It went from

"If MJ only took 19 FGA the Bulls would'nt have made the playoffs

then it went to:

If MJ only took 19 FGA the Bulls would'nt have made it past the 1st round

and finally to:

If MJ only took 19 FGA he would'nt have any rings

:biggums:

3ball
05-10-2015, 09:11 PM
:biggums:

Despite your attempts at misdirection, the point remains: MJ averaged 25.1 FGA for his playoff career, compared to Lebron's 18.9.

If MJ had averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he would have zero rings.

This demonstrates the far bigger load that MJ carried and how much softer the league currently is (that 18.9 FGA gets it done).

Now that Lebron finally has a small taste of the massive burden MJ carried on a nightly basis, we see how his FG% and performance collapses under the weight of that burden.. Good thing he's playing a shit team

Hey Yo
05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Despite your attempts at misdirection, the point remains: MJ averaged 25.1 FGA for his playoff career, compared to Lebron's 18.9.

If MJ had averaged 18.9 FGA like Lebron, he would have zero rings.

This demonstrates the far bigger load that MJ carried and how much softer the league currently is (that 18.9 FGA gets it done).

Now that Lebron finally has a small taste of the massive burden MJ carried on a nightly basis, we see how his FG% and performance collapses under the weight of that burden.. Good thing he's playing a shit team
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/0/0/2/7/1/8/8/9/5/407799379_image.png

G0ATbe
05-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Because Jimmy Butler always shuts down LeBald.

JohnMax
05-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Weightloss took away his strength so he can't post up or finish at the rim as easily

Kvnzhangyay
05-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Weightloss took away his strength so he can't post up or finish at the rim as easily

That doesn't explain his jumpshots though

lilteapot
05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I was talking about his jumpshot

DonDadda59
05-10-2015, 09:56 PM
A detailed video breakdown that answers the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GgNDItbIhQ

No Wade, no dice.