PDA

View Full Version : I ****ing hate hack-a-whatever strategy

ElPigto
05-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I ****ing hate hack-a-whatever strategy.

This is a ****ing embarrassment to the league.

VengefulAngel
05-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Just make your free throws... Jesus, DeAndre shouldn't be in the NBA if he can't make a bloody free throw.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Nah. I like how rustled Shaq's jimmies get. Never change it.

:oldlol:

shootingcomets
05-10-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't mind it. If houston is actually masters of analytics they would know that it doesnt work anyway.

outbreak
05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't mind it. If houston is actually masters of analytics they would know that it doesnt work anyway.

I swear Mchail said in a post game once that he doesn't mind people hacking Dwight because the stats say it doesn't work

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Intentionally fouling someone shouldn't be part of basketball to begin with, but the worst part about it...is that in like 90% of the cases it doesn't even work.

Generally the team doing it, at least in the playoffs, sees their own offense stall out like the Rockets just did.

And doing it against a Clippers team that has no depth is doubly stupid because it gives them a great deal more rest throughout the game.

It's boring and not even sure it's plus EV when it's going as planned. Hopefully it gets taken out.

ElPigto
05-10-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm just bitching because I'm bored out of my mind watching this shit. The worst part is that I know it doesn't work. It doesn't seem like McHale remembers his own words either (no surprise there).

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 10:14 PM
I swear Mchail said in a post game once that he doesn't mind people hacking Dwight because the stats say it doesn't work

In most cases I bet it doesn't work. Have to factor in all things like offensive rebound rate on missed free throws and scoring efficiency in the half court out of free throws.

Even if it holds the other team a minus EV...you have to account for how your team is scoring out of the free throws.

It might work better in the regular season when defense isn't so stiff, but half court defense in the playoffs is hard to score against...even for quality offensive teams.

Genaro
05-10-2015, 10:17 PM
DJ should consider to shoot it like Rick Barry. I mean it won't get any worse so why not give it a try?

outbreak
05-10-2015, 10:18 PM
In most cases I bet it doesn't work. Have to factor in all things like offensive rebound rate on missed free throws and scoring efficiency in the half court out of free throws.

Even if it holds the other team a minus EV...you have to account for how your team is scoring out of the free throws.

It might work better in the regular season when defense isn't so stiff, but half court defense in the playoffs is hard to score against...even for quality offensive teams.

Yeah I still think there are cases where it works, just I swear Mchail was adamant it didn't.

DMAVS41
05-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Yeah I still think there are cases where it works, just I swear Mchail was adamant it didn't.

Yea, like the foul when they put DJ on the line with 8 seconds left so they could get the last shot.

That is probably always a plus EV situation.

But I don't think the standard "hack-a" for like 7 straight possessions in the middle of a qtr is often plus EV in the playoffs.

Half court defenses are just too good generally I bet.

Not positive on this stuff...I haven't seen all the numbers. But it definitely kills the flow offensively for teams.