PDA

View Full Version : Dirk's 2010-2011 run: the greatest artistry the game will ever know?

masonanddixon
05-11-2015, 05:17 AM
We'll likely never again witness one man will a team to improbable victory after improbable victory in such dominant fashion again.

HomieWeMajor
05-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Just go and ********** and be done with it.

Cocaine80s
05-11-2015, 05:18 AM
2010? Thats almost 10 years ago bro

No one remembers that shit anymore

Chadwin
05-11-2015, 09:36 AM
94 Hakeem was more impressive

moaz
05-11-2015, 01:33 PM
For a Mavs fan: Yes, somehow the basketball Gods must reward the fans who went through the Eric Dampier/Shawn Bradley and especially the Avery Johnson years. No one should suffer that long.

For a Dirk fan: absolutely. We all knew how good (as a player and as a person) the guy was. After the run every neutral, less biased and real bball fan either grew to love him more or changed their attitude and gained more respect.

For a bball fan: Yes. The whole setting and the prehistory of the two teams in the final were just so good to be true. Portland: struggled and won, Lakers: heavily favored: swept, Oklahoma: Young wilds dismantled.
Finals: 2006 tainted memory, The three (not one, not two, not ...), Lebron and Wade chest pumping 15 minutes before losing in 4th quarter, them mocking Dirk's flu the losing, Jet's tattoo, J.J Barea playing any role at all in a finals.

and Finally the most important thing, Dirk's backup:

Brian Cardinal

SCdac
05-11-2015, 02:36 PM
hyperbole much lol.. the whole "improbable" part has yall mavs fans on some shit. they had the same record as the defending champs that season and had a great team all around including Dirk. Great coach also. Just because nobody expected em based mostly on their checkered playoff history doesn't mean they weren't the best. one thing that was nice to watch was their team work and individual contributions to that, Terry hitting 9 three's in one game to put a cap in the Lakers, Jason Kidd hitting 3's and defending wade on the other end, Shawn Marion and Stevenson guarding Lebron (getting in his head and making him go ghost; arguably the tipping point for them wining it all), KD, Kobe, etc, Tyson Chandler getting crucial offensive & defensive boards w/ Haywood coming of the bench (who was generally a starting C). Barea's Patty Mills-like contributions off the bench. And of course Dirk's scoring and clutch play as the leader. But "greatest artistry the game will ever know"? lol... Idk give me some prime Jordan, Magic's play creating and scoring, Duncan's and Hakeem's multi-dimensional impact for their respective squads in their best years, Bird did some improbable kinda stuff too in terms of plays and games. Dirk's series against the young OKC team seemed like his best imo. no doubt he tore it up

moaz
05-11-2015, 03:00 PM
bla bla bla

Somehow I was sure that you will pop up in this thread to give us the SA view on this matter :cheers:

rmt
05-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Somehow I was sure that you will pop up in this thread to give us the SA view on this matter :cheers:

Duncan and Hakeem did it on both ends of the court - not just one.

moaz
05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Duncan and Hakeem did it on both ends of the court - not just one.
Nothing against TD or Hakeem, respect them both (though I loved Hakeem). I've really just known that SCdac or T L P will show up feeling the urge to defend Duncan (T L P) or somehow say something irrelevant (SCdac) in a clearly Mavs fans nostalgic thread.

My gut feeling said SCdac :D.

SCdac
05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
rather than ignoring my posts might as well acknowledge the content. it's possible to respect player's achievements while also maintaining an honest view of history free of fanaticism and hyperbole. Much of the game is subjective but surely there's some objectivity. lets face it, championship teams are great teams, whether it's the Spurs, Mavs, Bulls, etc. No shame in that

moaz
05-11-2015, 04:21 PM
rather than ignoring my posts might as well acknowledge the content. it's possible to respect player's achievements while also maintaining an honest view of history free of fanaticism and hyperbole. Much of the game is subjective but surely there's some objectivity. lets face it, championship teams are great teams, whether it's the Spurs, Mavs, Bulls, etc. No shame in that

I've read so many of your post over the years, I already know what is in them.

My point is: the guy is retiring or will have very limited minutes from now on. It is the end of an era for us Mavs fans. This is a fuxxxing "good old days" thread, which I predict you'll see many of in the near future (I'll have my annual Dirk's all time scorer list watch again next season :banana: ).

There is no need here to come and repeat your already known points. Anyway sry if I offended anyone. I was just happy with myself that my prediction was true. Peace :cheers:.

TheBigVeto
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't know if that's the greatest but it's up there with Jordan's best.

Kvnzhangyay
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
More like he only won because Lebron shit the bed

Eric Cartman
05-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Can't believe the Lakers were swept by that piece of shit Maverick team.

F*ck em.

DMAVS41
05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
I've read so many of your post over the years, I already know what is in them.

My point is: the guy is retiring or will have very limited minutes from now on. It is the end of an era for us Mavs fans. This is a fuxxxing "good old days" thread, which I predict you'll see many of in the near future (I'll have my annual Dirk's all time scorer list watch again next season :banana: ).

There is no need here to come and repeat your already known points. Anyway sry if I offended anyone. I was just happy with myself that my prediction was true. Peace :cheers:.

Meh...SCdac is right for the most part here.

Also, Dirk isn't retiring anytime soon. He said he's at least playing out his contract.

There will be plenty of time for these types of threads down the road.

And as big of a Dirk fan as I am...it was not the greatest artistry the game has ever seen. Bird, Magic, Jordan, and Hakeem all had more aesthetically pleasing runs to the title in my opinion.

It could be argued as the best offensive display in terms of effectiveness and aesthetics of this era, but hardly the best ever. Just the truth.

bizil
05-11-2015, 10:42 PM
If anything, it showed that an alpha dog stretch PF can be the best player on a title team. Before that it had never been done before. On the biggest stages, he showed how difficult a matchup he was at 7'0. But I wouldn't call it the greatest artistry.

BUT I think Dirk REALLY HAMMERED home the point that's he the most important player EVER in terms of a great shooting big man. That goes for PF's and C's. Before Dirk, I would have given McAdoo the crown. However, Dirk was the one who who combined great three point shooting with a great swingman's scoring skillset. In terms of scoring, Dirk's the most unique 7 footer of all time.

Micku
05-11-2015, 11:56 PM
If anything, it showed that an alpha dog stretch PF can be the best player on a title team. Before that it had never been done before. On the biggest stages, he showed how difficult a matchup he was at 7'0. But I wouldn't call it the greatest artistry.

BUT I think Dirk REALLY HAMMERED home the point that's he the most important player EVER in terms of a great shooting big man. That goes for PF's and C's. Before Dirk, I would have given McAdoo the crown. However, Dirk was the one who who combined great three point shooting with a great swingman's scoring skillset. In terms of scoring, Dirk's the most unique 7 footer of all time.

To be fair, Bird did play PF early on his career. I dunno if that counts or not.

But Dirk 2011 run was kind'a like a Cinderella team. Despite being in 3rd place, nobody thought they were going to go to the Finals. Everyone was shocked that they swept the Lakers. They were the underdogs, and they were hella clutch. Dirk had god like efficiency numbers in the clutch that year. It was unreal. The 2011 playoffs had a bunch of upsets.

Anyhow, I dunno about the greatest artistry of an individual player (Dirk in this case), but the team is up there as one of the best underdog stories I guess. It might be the best...considering I think everyone expected them to lose almost every round. Piston 04 is one. Celts 10 was another, but they lost in the finals. Rockets 95.

Pointguard
05-12-2015, 12:51 AM
To me artistry are guys that I would love to see in slow motion and reflect a high level of grace, guys like Jordan and Magic. Or guys like Hakeem and AI that revealed a layers of moves to manifest something great at the end. Even as a jump shot I'd rather see Ray Allen and Walter Davis because their release and fluidity was beautiful. I just think OP used the wrong word.

bizil
05-12-2015, 02:41 AM
To be fair, Bird did play PF early on his career. I dunno if that counts or not.

But Dirk 2011 run was kind'a like a Cinderella team. Despite being in 3rd place, nobody thought they were going to go to the Finals. Everyone was shocked that they swept the Lakers. They were the underdogs, and they were hella clutch. Dirk had god like efficiency numbers in the clutch that year. It was unreal. The 2011 playoffs had a bunch of upsets.

Anyhow, I dunno about the greatest artistry of an individual player (Dirk in this case), but the team is up there as one of the best underdog stories I guess. It might be the best...considering I think everyone expected them to lose almost every round. Piston 04 is one. Celts 10 was another, but they lost in the finals. Rockets 95.

Yep Bird did play PF early in his career. But even early in his career, he was a combo forward who played a lot of SF. The big frontcourt with Bird-McHale-Parish was always a huge staple of Boston as early as 1981. Even though McHale came off the bench initially.

So even though u could credit Bird as the first alpha dog stretch PF to win a ring, he played a ton of SF from 1981 on. And of course eventually settled into SF as his primary position.

Dirk and McAdoo were pure PF's and center was their secondary position. So when people think of the best shooting big men of all time, I think Dirk and McAdoo will be among the first mentioned. And Dirk got to really exploit the three ball to make the "stretch PF" term part of the lexicon. The three ball was just in its infancy in the NBA during a lot of Bird's era. Plus Bird of is more classified as a SF.