PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been an MVP worse at 1 on 1 basketball then Steph Curry?

the_troof
05-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Think about it.. Dude only scores in transition or off of screens. Has no 1 on 1 moves at all, terrible late game option IMO. I'll take every other perimeter MVP except maybe Nash in a game of 1 on 1.

ISHGoat
05-12-2015, 08:57 AM
in b4 lebron haters say lebron

lebron is probably the best 1 on 1 basketball player in history, would absolutely molest kobe and jordan with his size and athleticism. have you guys ever tried to ball against a guy that was bigger than you? I dont mean like a pg vs c kind of mismatch, i mean pg vs sg, or sg vs sf, etc. The slightly bigger wing absolutely domiantes.

and since you said nash, id say iverson. hed cross you up and put the moves on you, before taking a shot that goes in 40% of the time, like he has done his entire career

Thorpesaurous
05-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Tons of centers have won, who maybe don't meet the definition of one on one you're looking for. I mean someone has to feed the post.

But it's still a pretty good point, and probably is another indication of the changing tide of the league. The constant movement and pick and roll schemes that excel against the defenses that en vogue now trying to take advantage of what's allowed (some zone elements), and what's not (hand checking and bumping cutters).

the_troof
05-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Tons of centers have won, who maybe don't meet the definition of one on one you're looking for. I mean someone has to feed the post.

But it's still a pretty good point, and probably is another indication of the changing tide of the league. The constant movement and pick and roll schemes that excel against the defenses that en vogue now trying to take advantage of what's allowed (some zone elements), and what's not (hand checking and bumping cutters).
I'm talking perimeter players and if we are gonna talk about centers, how good they would be in a 1 on 1 post game. Curry is pretty much the only one who can't score on his own

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:08 AM

lebron is probably the best 1 on 1 basketball player in history, would absolutely molest kobe and jordan with his size and athleticism. have you guys ever tried to ball against a guy that was bigger than you? I dont mean like a pg vs c kind of mismatch, i mean pg vs sg, or sg vs sf, etc. The slightly bigger wing absolutely domiantes.

and since you said nash, id say iverson. hed cross you up and put the moves on you, before taking a shot that goes in 40% of the time, like he has done his entire career

hahahaha not even close. please post all the videos of Lebron scoring on kobe 1v1 like kobe scores on LeBron 1v1. You can't because they don't exist. Watch kobe destroy LeBron like it's nothing. So much for that wingspan and size being effective..... Jordan would absolutely dominate LeBron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABKg2azkp0

SugarHill
05-12-2015, 09:11 AM
hahahaha not even close. please post all the videos of Lebron scoring on kobe 1v1 like kobe scores on LeBron 1v1. You can't because they don't exist. Watch kobe destroy LeBron like it's nothing. So much for that wingspan and size being effective..... Jordan would absolutely dominate LeBron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUPtfJjwX4

ISHGoat
05-12-2015, 09:13 AM

ether

Bobcats2013
05-12-2015, 09:13 AM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/2bca37099bc6da8bea15a6f9fa4c139a/tumblr_mjezd6jRKO1s7hhyjo1_400.gif

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Meh, I'd rate that video a 2 out of 5.

Real talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qChbw67IWqI

SugarHill
05-12-2015, 09:25 AM

Real talk:

I agree. Kobe's video is better because of his damn post moves. Just showing that a video mix of LeBron going at Kobe does exist.

theaussieguy
05-12-2015, 09:26 AM
is this thread a joke? How is taking someone off the dribble and draining a step back 3 with just inches of space not considered a 1v1?

You clearly do not watch GSW games because Curry legitimately does this EVERY game not to mention his array of layups and floaters he pulls on the reg. Oh I get it maybe its because he is actually playing his position like a PG should while looming as a constant scoring threat without having to force plays like Westbrick.

humans going to human. When someone succeeds, humans need to drag them down to appease their salty minds.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:28 AM
I agree. Kobe's video is better because of his damn post moves. Just showing that a video mix of LeBron going at Kobe does exist.

It honestly looks like some Bran stan felt so shook about the Kobe dominating Bron video, that they went out of their way to find every last instance of where bron scored when kobe was on the floor. Half those shots Kobe isn't even near him lol!

jimmy77x
05-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Kobe and Jordan are way more talented and skilled basketball players than your hero, period. They aren't just all size and HGH athleticism.

lilteapot
05-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Real talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SQeGSfztY

8:35 he waves his teammates offf and hits a clutch shot right in Kobe's grill.

You know nothing.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:32 AM
humans going to human. When someone succeeds, humans need to drag them down to appease their salty minds.

So basically OP succeeded in proving Curry isn't a 1v1 player so here you come to drag him down with your salty mind. Got it.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SQeGSfztY

8:35 he waves his teammates offf and hits a clutch shot right in Kobe's grill.

You know nothing.

As opposed to the video where Kobe hit 3 shots right in brons grill for the final 3 baskets?

1 shot versus 3
2 rings versus 5

I'm seeing a pattern here.....

lilteapot
05-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Think about it.. Dude only scores in transition or off of screens. Has no 1 on 1 moves at all, terrible late game option IMO. I'll take every other perimeter MVP except maybe Nash in a game of 1 on 1.

Do you even watch him play? Steph curry has elite ball handling ability and shoots threes right in people's faces all the time. I guarantee if you tried to guard him he'd break your ankles and dance around you some more and get right to the basket.

SugarHill
05-12-2015, 09:36 AM
It honestly looks like some Bran stan felt so shook about the Kobe dominating Bron video, that they went out of their way to find every last instance of where bron scored when kobe was on the floor. Half those shots Kobe isn't even near him lol!
You're literally posting all-star games

theaussieguy
05-12-2015, 09:39 AM
So basically OP succeeded in proving Curry isn't a 1v1 player so here you come to drag him down with your salty mind. Got it.

only thing that was proven ITT is your sub IQ and your homosexual relations with OP.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
You're literally posting all-star games

Even so, LeBron was trying his hardest to score and he simply got shit on.

only thing that was proven ITT is your sub IQ and your homosexual relations with OP.

Yep, salty mind confirmed. Stay small bro.

lilteapot
05-12-2015, 09:47 AM
:lol

Taller than CP3
05-12-2015, 10:45 AM
His game is taylor made for College Basketball. No team in the NBA will ever win a ring with Stephen Curry as their #1 option.

chocolatethunder
05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
His game is taylor made for College Basketball. No team in the NBA will ever win a ring with Stephen Curry as their #1 option.
:biggums:

chocolatethunder
05-12-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm more concerned with whether or not Steph knows the difference between then and than.

rhowen4
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm floored that this topic was made.

sd3035
05-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Lebron

/thread

Magic 32
05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
lebron is probably the best 1 on 1 basketball player in history, would absolutely molest kobe and jordan with his size and athleticism.

http://giant.gfycat.com/PerkyDescriptiveBobwhite.gif

Fudge
05-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Never mind worst 1-on-1 player, Steph is hands down the worst MVP ever in NBA history.

ISHGoat
05-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Never mind worst 1-on-1 player, Steph is hands down the worst MVP ever in NBA history.

nah that goes to derrick "50% ts" rose

the_troof
05-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Anyone who is disputing it; who of these players would lose to curry in a game of 1 on 1? Who would you trust Curry in a late game iso more than?

Bob Cousy- probably Curry but simply because of the era
Oscar Robertson- Oscar destroys him
Dr. J- Easily the Doctor
Bird- Easily Larry Legend
Magic- Easily Magic
Jordan- Easily Jordan
AI- Easily Iverson
Steve Nash- Close one but Nash was WAY better at running an offense
Kobe- Definitely Kobe, best 1 on 1 style ever IMO
Lebron- Another easy one
Rose- I'll take Rose 1v1 over Curry
Durant- Easily Durant

Curry may go down as the only MVP in history to not make the basketball hall of fame. He's unquestionably a bottom 3 MVP of all time as well. The fact that the race came down to a glorified Chauncey Billups and a flopper says everything about this era that needs to be said.

24-Inch_Chrome
05-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Curry may go down as the only MVP in history to not make the basketball hall of fame. He's unquestionably a bottom 3 MVP of all time as well. The fact that the race came down to a glorified Chauncey Billups and a flopper says everything about this era that needs to be said.

:whatever:

He's going to make the Hall of Fame.

lilteapot
05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Anyone who is disputing it; who of these players would lose to curry in a game of 1 on 1? Who would you trust Curry in a late game iso more than?

Bob Cousy- probably Curry but simply because of the era
Oscar Robertson- Oscar destroys him
Dr. J- Easily the Doctor
Bird- Easily Larry Legend
Magic- Easily Magic
Jordan- Easily Jordan
AI- Easily Iverson
Steve Nash- Close one but Nash was WAY better at running an offense
Kobe- Definitely Kobe, best 1 on 1 style ever IMO
Lebron- Another easy one
Rose- I'll take Rose 1v1 over Curry
Durant- Easily Durant

holy shit.

Dude just put up 33 on the toughest defense in the league and he's a "glorified Chauncey Billups"

the_troof
05-12-2015, 12:28 PM
holy shit.

Dude just put up 33 on the toughest defense in the league and he's a "glorified Chauncey Billups"
After getting locked up for 2 straight games...
dude has an insane supporting cast its unreal. If you don't think CP3 or Russell or even a healthy Rose would be putting up those numbers on that team then you're a curry dickrider

#teamanticurry

kennethgriffin
05-12-2015, 12:34 PM
out of non bigs

no

Fudge
05-12-2015, 12:38 PM
dude has an insane supporting cast its unreal. If you don't think CP3 or Russell or even a healthy Rose would be putting up those numbers on that team then you're a curry dickrider

#teamanticurry
:applause:

pauk
05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

I dont know if you ever have played against a player who is about 3" & 60 lbs bigger than you (or even bigger) 1on1.... but you need to try it out.... it doesnt even matter if he doesnt have as much skills as you, he will just back you down under the hoop and score all the time..... Now, imagine that bigger guy who owns you with less skill/athleticism being all of the sudden around just as skilled as you but also having much better athleticism aswell.... you know how unfair that is? You really need to try playing against such a guy 1on1.... doesnt even need to have touched a basketball, just find some freak athlete who is much bigger than you and good luck.... just so you can understand the logic of the laws of nature....

Kobe wouldnt be able to stop JUST ONCE a much bigger, stronger, faster etc. freak athlete from 24-7 either blowing by/overpowering him or simply backing him down all the way under the hoop 1on1, unless the other guy fumbles the ball or Kobe gambles for a nice ball poke or something..... in a game all he could ever do was to lead him towards the teammate help, which is the only reason Lebron settles occasionally for a jumper when Kobe guards him at times, he doesnt care about Kobe, he looks at what is behind him... which is non-existant in a literal 1on1 game... without team defense he would be on an Island by himself trying to contain a freight train.... Lebron would just run left/right of him using his body/speed, dig his off-hand in his throat and drive and dunk all the time....

Something Kobe would not be able to do equally well against Lebron.... and instead take more jumpshots even there, which is not a high percentage shot...

lilteapot
05-12-2015, 01:31 PM

#teamanticurry
:rolleyes:

sundizz
05-12-2015, 01:58 PM
While I disagree with the haterade I agree with the premise (and I'm the biggest Curry supporter).

He is not a great 1 on 1 player at all. Neither is Klay. Neither are any of their bigs. Harrison Barnes is probably their best one on one, throw it into him and let him work, type of player.

However, the game is changing (back moreso to what it used to be). Over the past 15-20 years the game has been all about the dominance of an individual (e.g., Kobe, Bron, etc) and we generally believed that you need that to win. Especially because of Kobe.

However, the statistics show that just because it is a close game you shouldn't stop running your offensive sets. Isolation 1 on 1 plays make for great drama and television, but are not as effective as just running the right play.

Curry can get his own shot very easily, but not in the traditional throw it to him and let him go to work way. Similarly, Kobe or Lebron can't do it in Curry's "non traditional" way either. Just because we are not used to seeing it doesn't make it less effective.

Two scenarios (both down 2, 8 seconds to go):
Lakers: They get the rebound, call a timeout and set a play in the halfcourt where it is basically Kobe on top with everyone else spread out).

Warriors: They get the board, Dray pushes it up, Curry runs to the three, does a dribble fake in and steps back and shoots the trey for a gw (exact thing happened against Orlando basically).

The statistics don't really show that the first option is in anyway better than the second option. However, because of his championships + our general attraction to the solo gunner, we will have confirmation bias in evaluating what works and what doesn't.

ThickassGlasses
05-12-2015, 01:58 PM
This is the dumbest topic of all time.

Guy has one of the best 1 on 1 games going right now. Ridiculous handles, can shoot from anywhere regardless of the defense being played on him, and his floaters are fantastic now.

Wouldn't stop many guys on D but wouldn't be stopped much either.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I dont know if you ever have played against a player who is about 3" & 60 lbs bigger than you (or even bigger) 1on1.... but you need to try it out.... it doesnt even matter if he doesnt have as much skills as you, he will just back you down under the hoop and score all the time..... Now, imagine that bigger guy who owns you with less skill/athleticism being all of the sudden around just as skilled as you but also having much better athleticism aswell.... you know how unfair that is? You really need to try playing against such a guy 1on1.... doesnt even need to have touched a basketball, just find some freak athlete who is much bigger than you and good luck.... just so you can understand the logic of the laws of nature....

Kobe wouldnt be able to stop JUST ONCE a much bigger, stronger, faster etc. freak athlete from 24-7 either blowing by/overpowering him or simply backing him down all the way under the hoop 1on1, unless the other guy fumbles the ball or Kobe gambles for a nice ball poke or something..... in a game all he could ever do was to lead him towards the teammate help, which is the only reason Lebron settles occasionally for a jumper when Kobe guards him at times, he doesnt care about Kobe, he looks at what is behind him... which is non-existant in a literal 1on1 game... without team defense he would be on an Island by himself trying to contain a freight train.... Lebron would just run left/right of him using his body/speed, dig his off-hand in his throat and drive and dunk all the time....

Something Kobe would not be able to do equally well against Lebron.... and instead take more jumpshots even there, which is not a high percentage shot...

:facepalm Kobe has stopped James in 1 on 1 situations more times than I can count with no help defense.

r15mohd
05-12-2015, 02:37 PM
:whatever:

He's going to make the Hall of Fame.

he does need a bit more of a career under his belt before that's said and done...he does have the potential too though.

McGrady is better than current Curry, and even he isnt and NBA lock to me

warriorfan
05-12-2015, 03:29 PM
worst topic ever, props to aussieguy for handling business

Legends66NBA7
05-12-2015, 04:00 PM
he does need a bit more of a career under his belt before that's said and done...he does have the potential too though.

McGrady is better than current Curry, and even he isnt and NBA lock to me

He's already accomplished a lot (MVP, International medal, possible NBA title this year, future Olympic medal, etc..), but I do agree that he just needs add some more to make it lock first ballot.

Cleverness
05-12-2015, 04:09 PM
lol @ talking about 1v1 in a 5v5 game.

Ok, so if you really wanna talk 1v1, you probably want to look at matchups IN THE POST. But anyways

Curry can get past his defender pretty easily because he's got some of the best handles in the game. Literally just walks right by cp3 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4rplyj3TU then he waits for cp3 to catch up to him just so he can show you how easy it is to destroy LOL

https://youtu.be/aTwXjqKrjGY?t=33s shows you he's not only good at 1v1 but also 1v2 using opponents as a screen. did this a lot this year, but the haters were too busy hating and not watching games

https://youtu.be/aTwXjqKrjGY?t=2m21s mad handles puts defender on skates 1v1? curry game winner from down 2 to hit a 3. :eek: next play mad handles baits Westbrook and drives right past him

you won't see him 1v1 all game though like some players (ie Carmelo). Why? because Curry gets his teammates involved in the game and plays winning basketball

Uhh, LeBron gets passed Kobe easily, but another Laker defender is there to help. Stopped watching after that. 1v1 in the open court?? ummm LeBron wins man.

is this thread a joke? How is taking someone off the dribble and draining a step back 3 with just inches of space not considered a 1v1?

You clearly do not watch GSW games because Curry legitimately does this EVERY game not to mention his array of layups and floaters he pulls on the reg. Oh I get it maybe its because he is actually playing his position like a PG should while looming as a constant scoring threat without having to force plays like Westbrick.

yeah these guys are nuts.

Ca$H
05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
I am insecure about my homosexuality and my vestigial micropenis.

:wtf:

nba_55
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
I want to become the next Bruce Jenner
:wtf:

Ca$H
05-12-2015, 05:10 PM
I am insecure about my homosexuality and my vestigial micropenis.

:biggums:

SCdac
05-12-2015, 05:18 PM
holy shit.

That's ISH for ya

warriorfan
05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Kobe's Alpha Killer Instinct gutted teams long before the end of the 4th quarter.

knicksman
05-12-2015, 08:40 PM
bran says hi. Ive never seen a player getting stopped by a fatass diaw. Theres a reason why he ran to wade to win rings for him and still only managed 2/5.

Prime_Shaq
05-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Basketball is a 1 on 1 game?