PDA

View Full Version : Your career as an NBA fan

LemonMan
05-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm actually very curious. So what team are you a fan of today, and how long ago did you become a fan, and how? Also if you can remember your favorite play that either made you a fan of that team, or solidified your decision to be an exclusive fan of that team.

Personally been a Clippers fan since early 2000's few years before the Elton brand playoff run. Growing up in the 90's, I was indoctrinated into Laker nation by my grandfather and my uncles. No matter where I went whether it was school, at the park, at church, the rec center, any coach I played ball for, through the years, and pretty much everyone was a laker fan. I wanted to root for the underdog just as one of my closest friends had made the same decision. So I picked the Clips and have been ridiculed by fam and friends since. You could say that things are different now :oldlol:

This play makes me smile today, as much as it did back in the day, so I'll share it with you guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpa-AajVmcI

warriorfan
05-12-2015, 03:53 PM
warriorfan since early 90's

Mr. Jabbar
05-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Big fan of lebron from 2003 until 2011 when i realized he was the biggest fraud this sport has ever seen. Now I just appreciate good basketball and great teams, time has made me unbiased.

kshutts1
05-12-2015, 03:57 PM
I've been a Bulls fan since '94.

We'd get home from church, and I'd watch the NBA on, I think it was, ABC. Bulls were always on, since they had just won a 3peat. No Jordan on the team this year, though, so I fell in love with Scottie.

My game follows Pippen; he's my favorite player ever.

However, Kobe, AI, TMac.. players that have made the game look easy and flashy at the same time, have captivated my attention. I'm a Pippen fan first (liked Rockets/Blazers more than Bulls), Bulls fan second, Kobe fan third, Lakers fan fourth...

When I was in 5th grade I could recite height, weight, main 3 averages and jersey numbers of every starting 5 in the league. Used to always check the newspaper for Pippen/Bulls games.

Now, without Pippen or a dominant Kobe, I consider myself a very unbiased overall basketball fan. Love the game, and watch it as much as possible (which is not much), to the extent that my long-time GF actually offered to buy me League Pass as our anniversary gift a few years ago.

Rake2204
05-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Cognizant Pistons fan since around 1990. Also had a five to seven year stretch in the 90's where I was obsessed with David Robinson and the Spurs.

SugarHill
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Big fan of lebron from 2003 until 2011 when i realized he was the biggest fraud this sport has ever seen. Now I just appreciate good basketball and great teams, time has made me unbiased.
were you really? :biggums:

SexSymbol
05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Laker fan since 06, hopefully till death

Thunderfan86
05-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Thunder fan since 1986

riseagainst
05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I was a Cleveland fan from 2003-2010. Then became a die hard Heat fan from 2011-2014. Then i realized what a mistake i made and decided to give up on Miami and turned back to Cleveland. Now i am a die hard Cleveland fan again.

Fallen Angel
05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Rockets fan since YGS was born

LemonMan
05-12-2015, 04:13 PM
I see early LeBron as a completely different person personality-wise. Even wrote a book report on his biography in jr high. After doing the whole decision bs, I realized how different the mentality of the new generation was. Thats what sets him apart from the other legends in recent past like Hakeem,Magic, Jordan, Kobe etc. He's a kid in a superhumans body

Legends66NBA7
05-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Toronto since 97.

There was a run by the team in 2002 near the end of the season when they lost Vince Carter to injury but still made the playoffs when they had no business being there.

wally_world
05-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Started watching basketball during the Shaq/AI Finals

CWebb Kings > KG Wolves > Nash Suns > KD OKC

Not much of a team-supporter (except for the Suns), more like a team-era supporter.

Lensanity
05-12-2015, 04:19 PM

2/7
6/24

Cleverness
05-12-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm actually very curious. So what team are you a fan of today, and how long ago did you become a fan, and how? Also if you can remember your favorite play that either made you a fan of that team, or solidified your decision to be an exclusive fan of that team.

Personally been a Clippers fan since early 2000's few years before the Elton brand playoff run. Growing up in the 90's, I was indoctrinated into Laker nation by my grandfather and my uncles. No matter where I went whether it was school, at the park, at church, the rec center, any coach I played ball for, through the years, and pretty much everyone was a laker fan. I wanted to root for the underdog just as one of my closest friends had made the same decision. So I picked the Clips and have been ridiculed by fam and friends since. You could say that things are different now :oldlol:

This play makes me smile today, as much as it did back in the day, so I'll share it with you guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpa-AajVmcI

Similarly, my family and friends are Laker fans. But I've been a Warriors fan since the 90s.

clipps
05-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Clippers fan since 2001. Q, Miles, and Odom were electrifying and I was that hipster kid that was sick of the constant Shaq and Kobe talk. I grew up as an Anaheim Angels fan(**** Arte Moreno) so naturally, I tend to pick the underdogs. Growing up, I've been a fan of the Clippers, Chargers, and Angels. Hopefully the Clippers keep it all together and win it all this year and maybe the Chargers can be that Cinderella team and win SB50.

Straight_Ballin
05-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Cavs fan until Lebron joined. Hoping that he will collude elsewhere after this season so that I can have my team back.

rmt
05-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Back in the day (late 70s), I used to be a Laker fan, and my mom was a Celtic fan. We'd watch the games together - broadcast TV - Magic vs Bird. Seemed like the heyday of sports - Borg/Connors/McEnroe/Evert/Navratilova too. Didn't care for the Michael Jordan days. Then, I started having my 3 kids in 96 (stayed home and homeschooled) - just in time for Duncan/Spurs, and it's been a FANTASTIC ride since then. Never dreamed of 5 championships back then. And Federer's career has been something to behold too.

Imtheman
05-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Laker fan since 1993.

305Baller
05-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Heat since 1990

the_troof
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Boston since 03

HylianNightmare
05-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Since penny arrived I've bled blue

Prime_Shaq
05-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Followed basketball casually in the 80s and then Shaq entered in 2002, followed him ever since but since he retired I've had trouble finding a player I like enough to follow, Dwight failed DeAndre failed Cousins has potential. I do defend the Warriors a little bit because of how much unwarranted hate they get but I'm not really a fan.

Cowboy Thunder
05-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Seems no one has posted lengthy history of bandwagoning... so I'll bite:

Most of the mid-90s, when I started watching as a kiddo in OKC, I loved the Bulls
(Made my parents buy a Michael Jordan golf kit off QVC, not sure why, didnt like golf). Pippen fan 100% tho.

Liked the Charlotte Hornets to a minor extent during that time. Larry Johnson.

Then in 96ishish? I bandwagoned the Seattle Sonics instead of the Bulls, I guess it was championship fatigue. They had been heros long enough they became the enemy (even had a Kemp Jersey)

Then post 97ish...liked Shaq with the Magic (Bought the Shaq shoes with the nitrogen pump thing)

Early 2000sh, followed Shaq to the Lakers and enjoyed his play, but never rooted for the Lakers as a team.

Mid 2000s, just enjoyed teams that played team ball. Spurs, Pistons, but never really rooted for anyone.

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, then Holy Sht, we have Chris Paul and the Hornets in OKC. :bowdown: :eek:

Then disaster happened, and we lost the Hornets but gained the Sonics :cry: :cry:

Then, OKC Master Race started :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Will be an OKC fan till they leave. :cheers: Then will start a documentary about how someone stole them from us.

I<3NBA
05-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Jordan's Bulls is what got me started watching the NBA. I wasn't much of a Jordan fan tho. It was Pippen and Rodman i liked. After the 2nd 3peat, i followed Pippen to the Blazers. Rooting for that team started my lifelong hate for the Lakers. Going against Shaq seemed so unfair. No one could stop him. I mean, NO ONE. And with PJax as coach, it seemed like Shaq was going to get all the rings as long as he was playing.
There started my pathetic bandwagoning of teams that stood in the Lakers' way. Webber's Kings had a fun brand of basketball. Till this day, i consider them the best passing team i've ever watched in the nba, 2014 Spurs included. Again, revenge was denied me as the Kings were jobbed. My hatred for the Lakers intensified (oddly enough, during the Shaq-Kobe years, i never disliked Kobe. I only started hating him when he broke up the duo, and then i proceeded to watch him go 1 vs 5 and play the most selfish brand of basketball possible)
After the Kings, came the Suns. Nash was like the perfect example of what all basketball players should be: unselfish and a terrific shooter. But goddamn the Spurs and their thuggery. The Spurs are probably the team i hate most after Lakers.
Well, my career as an NBA fan was pretty much all heartbreak until then. But then Lebron came. It was actually quite funny how i became a Lebron fan. I actually made fun of Nike when they signed a kid straight out of HS to the humongous deal. I was like: haha, that kid would be a bust under all that expectations. But then i watched Lebron will the Cavs past the Pistons and i was like: this boy is unstoppable on the drive.
And well, the rest is history. If you think about it, my record is even worse than 2/5. But you think i care? You think fans of ringless teams or teams who'd never even gone to the finals would belittle such accomplishment? What fan wouldn't want their team to be in the finals every year?
Altho tbh, once Lebron won ring 1, i kinda lost interest in stanning him. There was no more bittersweet feeling now that he's won a ring. Let's just say i like rooting for ringless players.
Hence, now my fandom of the Grizz and AD.

LemonMan
05-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Good to see a large percentage of you guys being fans of good basketball. As a true fan of bball you have to appreciate a good team playing with good fundamentals.

Velocirap31
05-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Toronto fan since 2000, cheered the local team of course. 2000-2001 was my first season and the dunk contest had me hooked.

BigNBAfan
05-13-2015, 05:07 PM
i have no team mang i fan of entire nba and canadaa

LemonMan
05-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Toronto fan since 2000, cheered the local team of course. 2000-2001 was my first season and the dunk contest had me hooked.
You guys were blessed with vinsanity during that time, must've been fun :cheers:

Fudge
05-13-2015, 05:19 PM
2006-2010 - Rockets/T-Mac fan
2011-2015 - Thunder fan
2015 - Cavs/LeBron fan

sd3035
05-13-2015, 05:28 PM

That's almost the same as mine. I fell for the hype of the manufactured star, wanted to see the next big thing, then I realized he was a beta fraud

RRR3
05-13-2015, 05:31 PM
TMac stan since ~2002.

Casual fan until 2011 playoffs

Bran stan from 2009(?)-present. Became serious NBA fan in 2011 playoffs.

Fan of the Heat AS A TEAM since Bran left although I still cheer for him individually.

Mr. Jabbar
05-13-2015, 05:35 PM
That's almost the same as mine. I fell for the hype of the manufactured star, wanted to see the next big thing, then I realized he was a beta fraud

no shame in that :cheers: the balding fegget fooled a lot of us

RRR3
05-13-2015, 05:39 PM
2006-forever-T-Mac fan
2011-2015 - Thunder fan
2015 - Cavs/LeBron fan
Fixed :cheers:

Did you make that gerbil Curry pic? :lol

Done_And_Done
05-13-2015, 06:00 PM
I've been a Bulls fan since '94.

We'd get home from church, and I'd watch the NBA on, I think it was, ABC. Bulls were always on, since they had just won a 3peat. No Jordan on the team this year, though, so I fell in love with Scottie.

My game follows Pippen; he's my favorite player ever.

However, Kobe, AI, TMac.. players that have made the game look easy and flashy at the same time, have captivated my attention. I'm a Pippen fan first (liked Rockets/Blazers more than Bulls), Bulls fan second, Kobe fan third, Lakers fan fourth...

When I was in 5th grade I could recite height, weight, main 3 averages and jersey numbers of every starting 5 in the league. Used to always check the newspaper for Pippen/Bulls games.

Now, without Pippen or a dominant Kobe, I consider myself a very unbiased overall basketball fan. Love the game, and watch it as much as possible (which is not much), to the extent that my long-time GF actually offered to buy me League Pass as our anniversary gift a few years ago.

Word? You were like a young basketball savant lol

Jordan and the Bulls lured me in as a casual watching fan but as soon as Toronto got their own team my devotion as a viewer became entrenched in them.

So a Raps fan since 95 and counting...

JZ600
05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
St vincent
Cavs fan 2003-2010
Heat fan 2010-2014
Cavs fan 2015 -

BlazerRed
05-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Blazer fan since yesterday :rockon:

BlazerRed
05-13-2015, 08:22 PM