PDA

View Full Version : Most exposed player this playoffs: Marc Gasol

rule1223
05-16-2015, 01:01 AM
i was one of those who thought he was a top 2 center in the league, but he was completely disappointing against gsw. Terrible post offense, could not hit a jumper to save his life, couldnt set teammates up off the double team and mediocre defense at best, had memphis had demarcus cousins, drummond, al jeff, even someone like vucevic this series wouldve been much more competitive

bdreason
05-16-2015, 01:09 AM
Against the #1 defense in the NBA.

I agree, he had to do more if Grizz wanted to win that series though.

Akrazotile
05-16-2015, 01:10 AM
His high post jumper wasn't that off, but the problem was that they never should have been going to him in the low post. The two games they won they were going down into Z-bo in the low post, and Marc was playing off him in the high post.

For some bizarre, inexplicable reason they started posting up Marc Gasol over and over again instead of using him in pick n roll and in the high post.

Made absolutely no sense. They should have kept going to Zach but for some reason (see: no good reason) after game 3 they just stopped.

navy
05-16-2015, 01:11 AM
If you think he was exposed it just means you havent watched enough of him to be honest. Probably just had his best postseason run ever.

bdreason
05-16-2015, 01:15 AM
Starting in game 4 we put Barnes and Bogut on Randolph, and let Green guard Gasol 1 v 1. That's why they had to go to Gasol more often. Randolph is a great post scorer, but he's also a black hole, and isn't a great passer out of the double.

305Baller
05-16-2015, 01:15 AM
did he show nipple?

JZ600
05-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Rose was exposed by dellovodova

BlakFrankWhite
05-16-2015, 01:17 AM
He isn't that good

I'd take Serge Ibaka over him

Legends66NBA7
05-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Kyle Lowry happened.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 01:33 AM
He isn't that good

Ibaka doesnt get anywhere near the defensive attention of Marc or Zbo. No ones gameplan for a game has ever been or ever will be double Ibaka. He gets birdfed open jumpers. Marc in his role in OKC would be way better

Marc is still got he just went up against the best non Tony Allen defender in the world in Bogut...........he played great in the 3rd quarter on both ends to bring the Grizz back but ZBo didnt show up. Conley was hurt all series so he has an excuse. Jeff Green is one of the worst players in the world, just complete garbage

Lowry and Korver are the most exposed easily

Akrazotile
05-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Starting in game 4 we put Barnes and Bogut on Randolph, and let Green guard Gasol 1 v 1. That's why they had to go to Gasol more often. Randolph is a great post scorer, but he's also a black hole, and isn't a great passer out of the double.

He's become a great passer out of the double.

And he was still getting baskets when they did go to him, but they just virtually stopped doing it. If it was simply because they put someone else on him, that's a poor excuse. You got to at least try to keep feeding him, and if it doesn't work switch it up.

That's how they've been playing for 5 years. To just stop all the sudden was a real let down, IMO. I really like this Grizz team and I wanted to see them do well. But that was just a very poor decision on their part to give up on going to Randolph in the post.

They need to re-sign Gasol, ship Jeff Green's ass out, move on from Wince, spend a little money upgrading the wings, and come back next year and give it another go.

It's not like a Conley-Lee-Randolph-Gasol core couldn't make a finals with the right pieces around them. They just desperately need to get some wing players that are at least consistent, if not stars.

HOoopCityJones
05-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Can the Lakers get him?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 01:40 AM
He's become a great passer out of the double.

And he was still getting baskets when they did go to him, but they just virtually stopped doing it. If it was simply because they put someone else on him, that's a poor excuse. You got to at least try to keep feeding him, and if it doesn't work switch it up.

That's how they've been playing for 5 years. To just stop all the sudden was a real let down, IMO. I really like this Grizz team and I wanted to see them do well. But that was just a very poor decision on their part to give up on going to Randolph in the post.

They need to re-sign Gasol, ship Jeff Green's ass out, move on from Wince, spend a little money upgrading the wings, and come back next year and give it another go.

It's not like a Conley-Randolph-Gasol core couldn't make a finals with the right pieces around them. They just desperately need to get some wing players that are at least consistent, if not stars.
Good post. WTF is Hollinger doing? Isnt he supposed to be smart? The Grizz have the SAME MAKEUP since 2011:facepalm :facepalm

Marc, Conley, ZBo, Tony then bum nikkas. They have Vince now who isnt the player he was last season..........they had Prince before. They had Demarre Carroll at one point..........had Battier........they have low usage players on the wings. Jeff Green is awful. Koufus is a nice backup, Udrih is decent. But without a great offensive and consistent wing and 3pt shooting that can at least play avg in their defensive system (like Steph in Golden State) they will continue doin the same sht.........

shootingcomets
05-16-2015, 01:45 AM
If it's Memphis it's gotta be Jeff Green.

At least Gasol gets you rebounds and defend at worse. He's never known as a good offensive player you're crazy if you expect him to get 25-30

Jeff Green should at least get 15 with Tony Allen out

imnew09
05-16-2015, 02:03 AM
I will take him on mah Lakers :bowdown:

Unselfish, midrange shot, good passer, can shoot ft and defend... what the fk else you need

34-24 Footwork
05-16-2015, 03:00 AM

Unselfish, midrange shot, good passer, can shoot ft and defend... what the fk else you need

As a fellow Lakers fan, I'm a need this nigguh to consistently score on defenders that are 6-7 shorter than him....

Seriously. I used to vouch for him all the time. But I clearly like Z-Bo aggressive approach more than Gasol's finesse play.

Cocaine80s
05-16-2015, 03:03 AM
Pau got exposed just as bad

Dude got raped by a 6'7 PF

navy
05-16-2015, 03:04 AM
As a fellow Lakers fan, I'm a need this nigguh to consistently score on defenders that are 6-7 shorter than him....

Seriously. I used to vouch for him all the time. But I clearly like Z-Bo aggressive approach more than Gasol's finesse play.
Draymond Green led the league in DPOY votes.

TylerOO
05-16-2015, 03:08 AM
How can he be exposed if real motha****as never took him seriously? I laughed my ass off when people said he was a top 5 center and a possible MVP candidate after 1 month of basketball.

warriorfan
05-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Yeah Marc Gasol sucks, should of carried the Grizz past the +10 SRS Warriors

Cleverness
05-16-2015, 03:10 AM
Against the #1 defense in the NBA.

I agree, he had to do more if Grizz wanted to win that series though.

yup. media still thinks of Warriors as offense-only team. in post game interviews media referred to warriors as offense team and grizz as defensive team... eh, WRONG. warriors #1 defensive team in NBA people still don't recognize. Warriors may end up winning title and still not recognize their #1 defense:facepalm

outbreak
05-16-2015, 03:11 AM
I still rate him highly. He's a top quality big man. Just don't run your whole team through him.

ImKobe
05-16-2015, 03:15 AM
Marc played well enough in the Playoffs IMO, Memphis just ain't that good offensively to contend for a title. Marc put up like 20/10/5 in the Playoffs, pretty decent overall.

Pau on the other hand declined a big way, 12/6 in the Cleveland series and 14/9 for the Playoffs.... :kobe:, typical Gasoft we saw in 2011 and 2012 2nd round.

Graviton
05-16-2015, 03:18 AM
GSW's defense is great but how the **** you gonna shoot 37% as a god damn 7 footer that is supposed to be "best center in the league", with all that offensive skill. That is inexcusable for a big man. Not even Westbrook has shot that terribly and he is a chucking midget.

I can never forgive terrible shooting by 7 footers, you are supposed to be the biggest threat on the floor, not a soft ***** that gets shit on by smaller inferior players. Same thing with Hibbert. :mad:

ImKobe
05-16-2015, 03:24 AM
GSW's defense is great but how the **** you gonna shoot 37% as a god damn 7 footer that is supposed to be "best center in the league", with all that offensive skill. That is inexcusable for a big man. Not even Westbrook has shot that terribly and he is a chucking midget.

I can never forgive terrible shooting by 7 footers, you are supposed to be the biggest threat on the floor, not a soft ***** that gets shit on by smaller inferior players. Same thing with Hibbert. :mad:

He takes a lot of jump shots and GSW has the best defense in the league.

Genaro
05-16-2015, 03:35 AM
Green is undersized but he is a great defender. Bogut is one of the best in the league.
Yes, Marc should've had a better FG% but he did his part. He played great defense and rebounded well, Warriors got hot from beyond the arc and won the last 3 games (Tony Allen injury helped) not exactly Marc's fault.

Marc shouldn't be the offensive first option but several times he was the only guy open for the jumper or the one who could get post position (Bogut made Zach's job harder) and since Conley was incredible cold after Klay switched on him, the ball constantly went to Marc.

bballnoob1192
05-16-2015, 03:38 AM
did he show nipple?
http://s2.postimage.org/5zws1opea/vlcsnap_2011_08_06_20h42m25s52.jpg

LAZERUSS
05-16-2015, 10:30 AM
His post game is just AWFUL.

Again, in one-on-one's against the 6-6 Draymond Green...he couldn't post up. Invariably he settled for fall-away shots that missed badly.

And as good as he was at the line, he couldn't hit wide open 15 ft shots to save his life.

Defense? Aside from an eight minute stretch in the 3rd quarter last night, he was no more than ordinary. In fact, the Warriors, known for their 3pt shooting, attacked the rim unmercifully the entire series (and missed quite a few easy shots along the way.)

When he TRIED to defend Green, Draymond blew by him. He couldn't defend the paint.

His passing is over-rated. Occasionally he will find an open shooter, but he never finds a cutter.

He rebounded reasonably in this series, but overall, for a 7-1 center, he is no more than ordinary.

Finally...he is slow, and out of shape. He was almost always the last man down the floor at either end. And while he played 44 minutes last night, he was noticeably gassed in the last quarter.

If this guy is the second best center in the league, then this is clearly, and by far, the worst era of centers in NBA history.

LAZERUSS
05-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah Marc Gasol sucks, should of carried the Grizz past the +10 SRS Warriors

The Warriors were clearly the better team. But how does a 7-1 center struggle so badly on offense? Especially against a 6-6 SF. And what in the hell is he doing defending players 20 feet away from the basket?

And why couldn't he stop any penetration at the rim?

I wouldn't have expected a prime Patrick Ewing to have led Memphis to a series win against GS, either. BUT, he would have been a far greater force at both ends of the floor.

navy
05-16-2015, 10:44 AM
The Warriors were clearly the better team. But how does a 7-1 center struggle so badly on offense? Especially against a 6-6 SF. And what in the hell is he doing defending players 20 feet away from the basket?

And why couldn't he stop any penetration at the rim?

I wouldn't have expected a prime Patrick Ewing to have led Memphis to a series win against GS, either. BUT, he would have been a far greater force at both ends of the floor.
Prime Patrick Ewing is no joke

LAZERUSS
05-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Prime Patrick Ewing is no joke

No, and I didn't mean it that, either. But Ewing was never more than the 4th-5th best center of his era. And yet there are those that have claimed that Marc is a top-3 center in today's NBA.

Overall, Ewing was a FAR greater center than Gasol has been.

navy
05-16-2015, 10:53 AM
No, and I didn't mean it that, either. But Ewing was never more than the 4th-5th best center of his era. And yet there are those that have claimed that Marc is a top-3 center in today's NBA.

Overall, Ewing was a FAR greater center than Gasol has been.
Well his competetion was clearly all time great

And Marc Gasol averaged 17.4 in his contract year. Scoring just isnt his thing.

LAZERUSS
05-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Well his competetion was clearly all time great]

And Marc Gasol averaged 17.4 in his contract year. Scoring just isnt his thing.

He is no more than an ordinary scorer. But even worse, his post-up game is just pathetic. His offense is pretty much shooting 10-15 fallaways.

And his defense is so over-rated. He was exposed badly in this series. Again, aside from an eight minute stretch in the 3rd quarter last night, his defense was ordinary, at best.

Any team that sells the farm to get this guy is going to be in for a major disappointment.

La Frescobaldi
05-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Ibaka doesnt get anywhere near the defensive attention of Marc or Zbo. No ones gameplan for a game has ever been or ever will be double Ibaka. He gets birdfed open jumpers. Marc in his role in OKC would be way better

Marc is still got he just went up against the best non Tony Allen defender in the world in Bogut...........he played great in the 3rd quarter on both ends to bring the Grizz back but ZBo didnt show up. Conley was hurt all series so he has an excuse. Jeff Green is one of the worst players in the world, just complete garbage

Lowry and Korver are the most exposed easily

how has Korver especially been exposed? Are people thinking he's more than he's always been, a fine player?

RidonKs
05-16-2015, 11:01 AM
he was exhausted. he lost all that weight right? like two years ago he came into the season way slimmed down. its made him more mobile but he's got no strength, especially lower body. green was chiseling right up underneath him most of the series and he couldn't maintain position. you can always tell he's getting tired when he starts bowling into the lane and throwing up those foul baiting hook shots. it was definitely disappointing to watch. but he'll be back.

i still thought he was the best grizzly player. zach takes too many plays off.

La Frescobaldi
05-16-2015, 11:03 AM
yup. media still thinks of Warriors as offense-only team. in post game interviews media referred to warriors as offense team and grizz as defensive team... eh, WRONG. warriors #1 defensive team in NBA people still don't recognize. Warriors may end up winning title and still not recognize their #1 defense:facepalm

this happens all the time

Jameerthefear
05-16-2015, 11:04 AM
i always thought gasol was overrated. defensively and offensively. i have no idea why a bad shooter shoots so many jumpers. though he is what i want vooch to become defensively

LAZERUSS
05-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Obviously a prime Duncan was a far greater player, but I have long maintained that I would take a 39 year old Timmy over this guy any day of the week.

Hopper15
05-16-2015, 11:08 AM
The lack of shooting around Gasol and ZBo was exposed if anything.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Obviously a prime Duncan was a far greater player, but I have long maintained that I would take a 39 year old Timmy over this guy any day of the week.

:applause:

YouGotServed
05-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Elimination game for Dwight and Gasol.

Gasol 18 and 10 on 35% shooting with a loss at home. Dwight has like 20 and 21 on 65% shooting with a W on the road.

Who is the best center in the NBA?

Dwight haters, let that L burn your soul real real slow.

greatest-ever
05-16-2015, 11:45 AM
He's such a soft 7 footer. Idk if I've ever seen someone of his size be so soft. He'll have someone half his size on him and he won't punish em down low he'll take a few dribbles then shoot a fadeaway.

imdaman99
05-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Everytime I looked, Gasol was 7-22 or some similar terrible %. That is not good for a Center in the league, especially someone that is supposed to be a top 2-3 C in the league.

As a Knicks fan, I want no part of maxing him. Let him go somewhere else for max. He is a good player but he would get exposed not playing alongside someone like Randolph. You can't run your offense through him.

T_L_P
05-16-2015, 02:37 PM
I was surprised to look at his stats this morning and see he averaged 20/10/5. Watching him play, it felt like he was giving you his usual Playoff production, 14-16 points, 7-8 rebounds, and 4 assists, with low efficiency.

I'm a huge Marc fan, but I agree that he usually come up short in the Playoffs. His TS% in the postseason that past three years is at .501.

I'd still rather have Duncan in a series, tbh.

Straight_Ballin
05-16-2015, 03:05 PM

His brother who led the lakers to the championship when he played for them.

ProfessorMurder
05-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Grizzlies would be fine if they had any shooting at all over the past 4 years. Just one or two reliable 3 shooters...

Even Quincy P's shooting would've been helpful against the Warriors.

Jeff Green is butt, always has been.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-16-2015, 03:52 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2jadbv7.jpg

FKAri
05-16-2015, 04:25 PM
His post game is just AWFUL.

Again, in one-on-one's against the 6-6 Draymond Green...he couldn't post up. Invariably he settled for fall-away shots that missed badly.

And as good as he was at the line, he couldn't hit wide open 15 ft shots to save his life.

Defense? Aside from an eight minute stretch in the 3rd quarter last night, he was no more than ordinary. In fact, the Warriors, known for their 3pt shooting, attacked the rim unmercifully the entire series (and missed quite a few easy shots along the way.)

When he TRIED to defend Green, Draymond blew by him. He couldn't defend the paint.

His passing is over-rated. Occasionally he will find an open shooter, but he never finds a cutter.

He rebounded reasonably in this series, but overall, for a 7-1 center, he is no more than ordinary.

Finally...he is slow, and out of shape. He was almost always the last man down the floor at either end. And while he played 44 minutes last night, he was noticeably gassed in the last quarter.

If this guy is the second best center in the league, then this is clearly, and by far, the worst era of centers in NBA history.

Ya Gasol sucks and is overrated. Reminds me of Wilt.

FKAri
05-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Elimination game for Dwight and Gasol.

Gasol 18 and 10 on 35% shooting with a loss at home. Dwight has like 20 and 21 on 65% shooting with a W on the road.

Who is the best center in the NBA?

Dwight haters, let that L burn your soul real real slow.

HOLY SHIT. dis nigguh still alive!

MellowYellow
05-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Grizzlies would be fine if they had any shooting at all over the past 4 years. Just one or two reliable 3 shooters...

Even Quincy P's shooting would've been helpful against the Warriors.

Jeff Green is butt, always has been.
mike miller, vince carter, courtney lee. The problem your best players arent good enough.

Optimus Prime
05-16-2015, 06:03 PM
http://sportsmockery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Chicago-Bulls-Derrick-Rose-Matthew-Dellavedova-700x438.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
05-16-2015, 06:06 PM
looks like beta genes run through the family

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 06:33 PM
I was surprised to look at his stats this morning and see he averaged 20/10/5. Watching him play, it felt like he was giving you his usual Playoff production, 14-16 points, 7-8 rebounds, and 4 assists, with low efficiency.

I'm a huge Marc fan, but I agree that he usually come up short in the Playoffs. His TS% in the postseason that past three years is at .501.

I'd still rather have Duncan in a series, tbh.
Marc doesnt have the best offensive system, elite playmakers, elite ball/player movement and elite shooters to space the floor for him. He creates most of his looks with the occasional Conley find and the rare ZBo pass. Marc got doubled more in this series than Timmy has been since like 07. Marc is clearly a better player now

rmt
05-16-2015, 06:35 PM

When it counts, Duncan comes to play. There isn't any big man I'd take today over a 39 year old Duncan in an important series - too much smarts, fundamentals, competitiveness. Some might score more, but counting defense, gimme the old Timmy.

ProfessorMurder
05-16-2015, 09:34 PM
mike miller, vince carter, courtney lee. The problem your best players arent good enough.
Are you shitting me? ZBo, Gasol and Conley are as good as practically any top three tandem in the league.

Vince and Miller were straight up garbage while on Memphis. Courtney Lee isn't a great shooter.

Nastradamus
05-16-2015, 09:36 PM
People forget that Bogut by almost all defensive metrics was the best minute for minute defender in the NBA. Green meanwhile, was 2nd in DPOY. They weren't going to make it easy on those Memphis bigs and they don't have the wings to take advantage.

oarabbus
05-16-2015, 09:55 PM
He isn't that good

You aren't too smart then

Akrazotile
05-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Good post. WTF is Hollinger doing? Isnt he supposed to be smart? The Grizz have the SAME MAKEUP since 2011:facepalm :facepalm

Marc, Conley, ZBo, Tony then bum nikkas. They have Vince now who isnt the player he was last season..........they had Prince before. They had Demarre Carroll at one point..........had Battier........they have low usage players on the wings. Jeff Green is awful. Koufus is a nice backup, Udrih is decent. But without a great offensive and consistent wing and 3pt shooting that can at least play avg in their defensive system (like Steph in Golden State) they will continue doin the same sht.........

Yeah, Koufos and Udrih are nice players to have on the bench. Conley, Lee, Randolph, and Gasol should all still be roughly the same players next year as they were this year. They just need some legit wing scoring. What a shame they didn't have Carroll this year. Simply having him instead of Green could have swung this series.

It's so fun to watch this Grizz team go up against the high flying/deep shooting teams cause of the style contrast, and I often find myself rooting for the Grizz, but god dammit they need to get some contributions from the wing. Get your shirt together Hollinger.

Swaggin916
05-16-2015, 11:28 PM
He had a hard time scoring on Green many times which was pathetic. Green is a great defender but he's 5 inches shorter come the F on.

shootingcomets
05-16-2015, 11:59 PM
He had a hard time scoring on Green many times which was pathetic. Green is a great defender but he's 5 inches shorter come the F on.

looking back at it it seems quite clear that Marc is pretty much a straight high post player so warriors double Z when he's posting and let Marc shoot 18 footer which is least efficient shot in basketball anyway