PDA

View Full Version : Clippers need to make tweaks, but not blow it up

ChrisKreager
05-18-2015, 01:05 AM
If they blow things up, they're basically conceding the Pacific Division to Golden State for the next 5 years.

There is massive uncertainty in the West elsewhere- Thunder/Spurs/Grizzlies/Blazers/Mavericks. Houston is the only other team other than GSW that seems stable for a while.

This isn't like when the Lakers/Spurs towered over everyone else.

Besides, if they let DeAndre walk, WHAT exactly is the alternative?

They need two things:

1. New GM. Let Doc coach and let someone else give Doc the coach a competent bunch of others to coach

2. BENCH BENCH BENCH. Remember, just 2 years ago, LA had #1 scoring bench in the NBA.

The problem is that they didn't get the Barbosa/Livingston types. You ever notice that Steph/Klay/Draymond are not usually gassed from playing too many minutes or running them into the ground?

andgar923
05-18-2015, 01:06 AM
I'd get rid of Blake.

Have been saying it for years. They won't win with him.

Go ahead and throw out all the stats in the world. Sure he may lead them to a win here or there, but they will never win a chip with him as the 1b.

J Shuttlesworth
05-18-2015, 01:06 AM
I hope the core of DJ/Griffin/Paul stays. They need a different SF, and different bench players. I like Reddick though. Their starting 5 definitely isn't the problem, but they could afford to upgrade over Barnes.

1987_Lakers
05-18-2015, 01:07 AM
What they need is a legit SF who can score & defend. Matt Barnes shouldn't be a starter in this league.

ChrisKreager
05-18-2015, 01:09 AM
What they need is a legit SF who can score & defend. Matt Barnes shouldn't be a starter in this league.

Who are some SF's available in free agency?

J Shuttlesworth
05-18-2015, 01:09 AM
I like Crawford, but he's been inconsistent, and he's old. He's good for maybe 2 playoff games each series and shits the bed for the rest.

Heavincent
05-18-2015, 01:11 AM
The Clippers aren't even that close though. It would be one thing if they were losing in the Finals, but they're not even half way there :confusedshrug:

I wouldn't blow it up either, but it makes you wonder if Paul and Blake are good enough.

bobopenguin
05-18-2015, 01:17 AM
is this possible?

blake + deandre + 2nd round pick for anthony davis + asik.

1987_Lakers
05-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Who are some SF's available in free agency?
DeMarre Carroll would be a very good edition to this team.

Nets fan 93
05-18-2015, 01:18 AM
they have the big 3 and then role players and an awful bench. Put those role players on the bench and find someone to start over at least Barnes, might be the key

J Shuttlesworth
05-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Was thinking the same thing too. Not sure if it's possible since this dude has been earning himself a big paycheck with his playoff performance.

1987_Lakers
05-18-2015, 01:19 AM
The Clippers aren't even that close though. It would be one thing if they were losing in the Finals, but they're not even half way there :confusedshrug:

I wouldn't blow it up either, but it makes you wonder if Paul and Blake are good enough.

They beat the defending champs in the first round & had a conference finals appearance at their finger tips. They are 1 player away from contending.

Legends66NBA7
05-18-2015, 01:24 AM

He's the first guy I thought of as well.

But he might also look for a big contract this summer. Can the Clippers acquire him and keep DeAndre Jordan too ?

Rocketswin2013
05-18-2015, 01:28 AM
I'd get rid of Blake.

Have been saying it for years. They won't win with him.

Go ahead and throw out all the stats in the world. Sure he may lead them to a win here or there, but they will never win a chip with him as the 1b.
Well, getting rid of him is nuts.. But I'll tell you, this guy is so much worse than his statistics at times. In both G7's and a few other games, you would question whether he would even have a double double, if you just watched and used the "eye-test". I literally forgot he was on the court in the majority today's game. It's bizarre. A guy like Chris Paul had 10x more impact with an equivalent statline.

J Shuttlesworth
05-18-2015, 01:32 AM
Well, getting rid of him is nuts.. But I'll tell you, this guy is so much worse than his statistics at times. In both G7's and a few other games, you would question whether he would even have a double double, if you just watched and used the "eye-test". I literally forgot he was on the court in the majority today's game. It's bizarre. A guy like Chris Paul had 10x more impact with an equivalent statline.
I disagree. I saw the Spurs/Clippers game 7 in person and he had a huge impact on the game, including down the stretch. Hit huge clutch free throws, and a couple of mid range shots, ended up with a 20+ pt triple double.

Would agree about today. I hardly noticed blake out there

oh the horror
05-18-2015, 01:35 AM
they have the big 3 and then role players and an awful bench. Put those role players on the bench and find someone to start over at least Barnes, might be the key

If argue their role players aren't even good enough. Think about this last series and the role players that failed to show up.

At this point they need players that just show up off the bench. Some grit.

Spurs m8
05-18-2015, 01:35 AM
Nah, time blow it up.

Team is a choking cactus.

coin24
05-18-2015, 01:37 AM
It's not an easy fix..
Blake shit the bed, so did Paul but that's standard..

Austin should not be on the team, Crawford and Barnes suck, DJ needs to do nothing but shoot free throws all summer..

They're kind of like the Bulls, you think they just need a few pieces but in reality they're just not that good..

Al Thornton
05-18-2015, 01:45 AM
they're not in a position to make tweaks

they don't have any trade assets and there is no cap space if they bring back deandre. so u either have to trade one of the top 3 players or go back into the playoffs next year and lose in the second round again.

AirFederer
05-18-2015, 01:46 AM
Keep the coach who traded for his scrub son?

Fire Rivers and get rid of the bench and Matt Barnes.

That_Admiral
05-18-2015, 01:47 AM
they're not in a position to make tweaks

they don't have any trade assets and there is no cap space if they bring back deandre. so u either have to trade one of the top 3 players or go back into the playoffs next year and lose in the second round again.
what about moving reddick, barnes and jamal? couldn't they fetch anything?

Big Cheese
05-18-2015, 01:51 AM
I agree they just need a bench, they have arguably the worst bench in the league but they dont have the cap space really add any talent talent once they retain deandre.

Doc really ****ed the team up. He burned alot of the teams assets to build that garbage. while the rockets were able to fill their bench with guys like corey brewer, smith, and pablo for basically nothing.

el gringos
05-18-2015, 01:52 AM
Hawes and Crawford
For
Calderon, hard away jr, and thanasis

Al Thornton
05-18-2015, 01:54 AM
what about moving reddick, barnes and jamal? couldn't they fetch anything?

redick could get something. barnes and crawford are both 35 and not very good anymore. hawes is signed for the next 3 years and i don't see how anyone would want him. the biggest problem is they traded their first round this year in the trade for doc rivers and then doc traded their 2017 pick to get rid of jared dudley and then sign farmar, cdr, and hawes last summer. they have no assets to use

That_Admiral
05-18-2015, 01:56 AM
redick could get something. barnes and crawford are both 35 and not very good anymore. hawes is signed for the next 3 years and i don't see how anyone would want him. the biggest problem is they traded their first round this year in the trade for doc rivers and then doc traded their 2017 pick to get rid of jared dudley and then sign farmar, cdr, and hawes last summer. they have no assets to use
from what i've seen redick and crawford are quite similar, in that they are both terribly inconsistent when it counts. i still think barnes is good, but he'd be better coming off the bench; like iggy. but yeah no trade assets has really ****ed you guys over

warriorfan
05-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Get rid of Blake

Blake gets hidden by DeAndre Jordan. He isn't a good defender and can't impact both sides of the floor. Offensive minded power forwards that don't play good defense are overrated and will not get you a ring. (Charles Barkely, Karl Malone). You need a strong defensive presence from your power forward and center and pick up the scoring from your back court and wings.

Spurs m8
05-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Hawes and Crawford
For
Calderon, hard away jr, and thanasis

LOL sif NY want that junk

Al Thornton
05-18-2015, 02:03 AM
from what i've seen redick and crawford are quite similar, in that they are both terribly inconsistent when it counts. i still think barnes is good, but he'd be better coming off the bench; like iggy. but yeah no trade assets has really ****ed you guys over

redick is much more consistent. crawford is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. he's very streaky in the regular season where he has a bunch of good games and a bunch of very inefficient terrible games, but in the playoffs he is just inefficient and terrible in every game. barnes is the most inconsistent out of any of the players on the team. he will have games where he is dominant defensively and making shots like in game 7 against the spurs and then be complete garbage for multiple games in a row like with houston. u just can't win in the west with him playing heavy minutes. it's impossible.

ApexPredator
05-18-2015, 02:04 AM
I hope the core of DJ/Griffin/Paul stays. They need a different SF, and different bench players. I like Reddick though. Their starting 5 definitely isn't the problem, but they could afford to upgrade over Barnes.
Spot on.

That_Admiral
05-18-2015, 02:08 AM
redick is much more consistent. crawford is one of the worst playoff performers of all time. he's very streaky in the regular season where he has a bunch of good games and a bunch of very inefficient terrible games, but in the playoffs he is just inefficient and terrible in every game. barnes is the most inconsistent out of any of the players on the team. he will have games where he is dominant defensively and making shots like in game 7 against the spurs and then be complete garbage for multiple games in a row like with houston. u just can't win in the west with him playing heavy minutes. it's impossible.
yeah, exactly a guy like barnes isn't fit to be a starter

navy
05-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Blake Griffin was dominating the playoffs just a few days ago. The people in this thread talking about trades lol.

They need to fix the bench and get rid of Matt Barnes so that the margin for errors is better. Obvious.

Blake needs to continue what hes doing and become THE GUY. He keeps getting shook and expecting CP3 to carry him in the playoffs when it's obvious that it wont happen. That is honestly the biggest change and it's not an uncommon one or one that requires roster changes. Blake should be the best player. Not getting stuffed at the rim and turning it over when the game is on the line. Cp3 has said so multiple times so it's not a matter of chris paul wanting to hold on to that designation, it's a matter of Blake finally breaking through. He's gotten better every year, no reason to think he wont make it.

bdreason
05-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Their core is just fine. Their bench is straight up garbage. Even their 6th man of the year, Jamal Crawford, isn't the kind of scorer you want to rely on in the playoffs.

bballnoob1192
05-18-2015, 02:20 AM
they need to GTFO of LA. I'm sick of having to explain why there is a shitty sports team in my town.

WorldWarriors
05-18-2015, 02:26 AM
What they need is a legit SF who can score & defend. Matt Barnes shouldn't be a starter in this league. Agree on Matt Barnes.

NZStreetBaller
05-18-2015, 02:34 AM
They just need to create a super team.... all they need is kevin durant. Cp3 griffin durant. Theyd be friggen unstoppable!!

TheCalmInsanity
05-18-2015, 02:40 AM
they need to GTFO of LA. I'm sick of having to explain why there is a shitty sports team in my town.

You want the Lakers out of LA? They're the ones in the lottery...

Last I checked Game 7 of second round >>>>> miserable team that has been fishing for ping pong balls.

We should be ashamed of both LA teams but at least Clippers beat the defending champs while the Lakers are chillin on their couches watching

This insecurity from Laker fans is pathetic. They'd rather Tim Duncan get his 6th ring, Spurs (who are rivals to the Lakers in the last decade) get another ring, Dwight Howard get a ring, over the Clippers getting one. It's downright stupid... And this hatred only came out when the Clippers started getting good a few years ago. When I became a fan during the Darius Miles Quentin Richardson days in '99, no Laker fan even mentioned the Clippers

warriorfan
05-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Blake Griffin was dominating the playoffs just a few days ago. The people in this thread talking about trades lol.

They need to fix the bench and get rid of Matt Barnes so that the margin for errors is better. Obvious.

Blake needs to continue what hes doing and become THE GUY. He keeps getting shook and expecting CP3 to carry him in the playoffs when it's obvious that it wont happen. That is honestly the biggest change and it's not an uncommon one or one that requires roster changes. Blake should be the best player. Not getting stuffed at the rim and turning it over when the game is on the line. Cp3 has said so multiple times so it's not a matter of chris paul wanting to hold on to that designation, it's a matter of Blake finally breaking through. He's gotten better every year, no reason to think he wont make it.

Blake is a good player but he strikes me in the Barkely / Malone mold. Will get you far but can never get you over the hump due to lack of interior defense from your starting frontcourt.

SyRyanYang
05-18-2015, 04:01 AM
I'd say keep Blake. He's a workhorse and will only get better. You'd be hard pressed to find a better second option anyways.

Keep the big 3 and everyone else is expandable, including Doc - especially Doc.
He's not a championship caliber coach, period.

navy
05-18-2015, 04:03 AM
Blake is a good player but he strikes me in the Barkely / Malone mold. Will get you far but can never get you over the hump due to lack of interior defense from your starting frontcourt.
Both Deandre and Blake can/must improve on defense. They have gotten better every year.

Also Blake was showing flashes of being an all time great forward this playoffs. Just needs to do it more in the fourth.

I<3NBA
05-18-2015, 04:58 AM
They need a better coach than Doc Rivers. Maybe they can get Thibs if the Bulls let him go.

sbw19
05-18-2015, 05:24 AM
Start with a heart transplant. This team would've made the Finals sans Barnes, Davis and Rivers if they had Pierce in last 3 games. He's a player option, go get him. A wing defender and a competent backup ballhandler would be nice additions. But the biggest obstacle is in their heads.

Clifton
05-18-2015, 08:49 AM
I think they need to blow it up.

Not an overreaction to embarrassing loss. They have a talented but dysfunctional roster. Griffin is a nightly triple double threat who needs the ball in his hands to create. He's not a pick and pop player.

And Paul is the type of cold-blooded leader who needs to be surrounded by guys with strong mentalities. Half the reason Griffin doesn't believe in himself in the clutch unless he's hot is because Paul doesn't believe in anyone but himself unless they consistently prove themselves. Paul needs guys who are winners already; he can't make guys into winners like Magic could. It's his one weakness as a player / leader.

Surround him with Fishers and Pierces and David Wests and Rip Hamiltons and he can lead you to a title. He looks more natural out there with a marginal talent like JJ Reddick than with some of the super-talents he's played with in recent years.

If Griffin were forced to carry this team, I think he would. He would do at the PF spot what Westbrook was doing as a guard in the latter half of the year. That's my opinion. I hope they trade Paul, for Paul's good, and Griffin's. Trade him to Indiana.

ArbitraryWater
05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
The core will do great things for a few more years.

gts
05-18-2015, 10:28 AM
They can't blow it up because they have too many big contracts and not enough assets....

They can only tweak the roster. Not including Jordan they have several small contracts expiring this summer so they can create some roster turnover but nothing dramatic

Legends66NBA7
05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Blowing it up doesn't make any sense. This is some of the best success the Clippers have ever had and I'm sure new ownership wants to add more to it. The core is far from done either.

Just add some veteran bigs and strong starting SF who can hit the 3 and play defense. Moving Crawford isn't a bad idea. Players like him get exposed badly in the playoffs.

kurple
05-18-2015, 10:45 AM
They should have come up with a real trade offer for Wilson Chandler

he is literallly the perfect fit

DMAVS41
05-18-2015, 11:04 AM
GM Doc will do something to mess it up

Rooster
05-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Blowing it up doesn't make any sense. This is some of the best success the Clippers have ever had and I'm sure new ownership wants to add more to it. The core is far from done either.

Just add some veteran bigs and strong starting SF who can hit the 3 and play defense. Moving Crawford isn't a bad idea. Players like him get exposed badly in the playoffs.

Playoff Teams have better defensive players and are more prepared for Crawford. Without him in on the bench though, Clips are empty and thats important in regular season games. I think they pick up his option and keep him just for that regard

Clips should keep the core . Clips need a SF and a big men but they gonna have to go to bargain route. I supposed they can trade Hawes but who would want him.

longtime lurker
05-18-2015, 03:54 PM
It would be interesting to see how well a team of Melo and Chris Paul surrounded by defense first players would do.