PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Appropriation?

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 05:37 PM
What is the deal with people claiming this?

It seems odd that every now and then you'll see someone get angry claiming that people are "stealing" from their particular culture, as if we don't ALL use things created by other cultures.

I'm not Italian, but I play piano. I've never felt like I'm "stealing" or "appropriating" Italian culture.

It's just strange to see people make these accusations while being oblivious that they themselves use countless things created by cultures other than their own.

TheSilentKiller
05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
provide some sort of context

Jameerthefear
05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
what's that mean?

ApexPredator
05-18-2015, 05:44 PM
what's that mean?

It's a feminism thing. You wouldn't like it.

TheSilentKiller
05-18-2015, 05:47 PM
what's that mean?
it's essentially the exploitation of a culture without taking into context the history and traditions.

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 05:55 PM
provide some sort of context
Edited my original post.

TheSilentKiller
05-18-2015, 05:57 PM
It seems odd that every now and then you'll see someone get angry claiming that people are "stealing" from their particular culture, as if we don't ALL use things created by other cultures.

I'm not Italian, but I play piano. I've never felt like I'm "stealing" or "appropriating" Italian culture.

It's just strange to see people make these accusations while being oblivious that they themselves use countless things created by cultures other than their own.
There's a fine line between taking part and taking advantage. But I really don't see culture appropriation thrown around all that much - as it shouldn't be.

oarabbus
05-18-2015, 05:59 PM
When is the last time you heard of a Chinese guy crying about cultural appropriation? It doesn't happen. It's usually only particular ethnic groups this occurs with.

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 06:09 PM
When is the last time you heard of a Chinese guy crying about cultural appropriation? It doesn't happen. It's usually only particular ethnic groups this occurs with.
I've never seen a Chinese guy doing it, but I've definitely seen Asian American SJWs get really pissed about white female celebrities wearing an oriental looking dress or putting chops sticks in their hair or something.

fsvr54
05-18-2015, 06:16 PM
The worst is black people who whine about white people participating in hip hop.

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 06:20 PM
The worst is black people who whine about white people participating in hip hop.
But for some reason, it's perfectly fine for them to participate in things created by other cultures. Not only is it ok, but it would be horrifically racist if someone told them they shouldn't.

KobesFinger
05-18-2015, 08:20 PM
But for some reason, it's perfectly fine for them to participate in things created by other cultures. Not only is it ok, but it would be horrifically racist if someone told them they shouldn't.

Usually with black people, elements of the culture are appropriated but black people are looked down upon for doing the same thing. E.g. things like braids/cornrows are fashionable now but they're ghetto on black people

oarabbus
05-18-2015, 08:23 PM
I've never seen a Chinese guy doing it, but I've definitely seen Asian American SJWs get really pissed about white female celebrities wearing an oriental looking dress or putting chops sticks in their hair or something.

True.

Also seen it when white celebrities wear Native American gear.

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Usually with black people, elements of the culture are appropriated but black people are looked down upon for doing the same thing. E.g. things like braids/cornrows are fashionable now but they're ghetto on black people
Since when are braids "black culture"? :wtf:

All humans have been doing braids for literally thousands of years. The woman in Ancient Greek art have braided hair. Native Americans braided their hair, and they broke off from the rest of the known world like 20,000 years ago.

KobesFinger
05-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Since when are braids "black culture"? :wtf:

All humans have been doing braids for literally thousands of years. The woman in Ancient Greek art have braided hair. Native Americans braided their hair, and they broke off from the rest of the known world like 20,000 years ago.

Not braids like this

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7yDEqP6FsQs/hqdefault.jpg

I mean Iverson style braids. Kendall Jenner had a picture with cornrows in her hair and it was called "epic" by Marie Claire, despite being a hairstyle that black people use simply for convenience.

Akrazotile
05-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Not braids like this

I mean Iverson style braids. Kendall Jenner had a picture with cornrows in her hair and it was called "epic" by Marie Claire, despite being a hairstyle that black people use simply for convenience.

:biggums:

Why do you know this?? :lol

ace23
05-18-2015, 09:46 PM
You have the social awareness of an 8th grader.

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 09:54 PM
You have the social awareness of an 8th grader.
Well, if a black girl showed an interest in ballet or classical music, I can't imagine anyone would accuse her of cultural appropriation. If some white kid shows an interest in rap or the blues, there's a good chance he will.

If you think that is somehow inherently different, feel free to explain.

TheMan
05-18-2015, 10:04 PM
I don't get pissed when I see white folks at the grocery store buying tortillas or black folks enjoying nachos :confusedshrug: How boring would it be if we couldn't enjoy the best of what other cultures have to offer?

Which reminds me of that Sopranos episode where Paulie is going on a rant to Big Pvssy about how Anglo America bastardizes Italian ideas like cappuccinos, espressos etc at a Starbucks like kind of coffee shop without giving credit to Italians :oldlol:

NumberSix
05-18-2015, 10:12 PM
I don't get pissed when I see white folks at the grocery store buying tortillas or black folks enjoying nachos :confusedshrug: How boring would it be if we couldn't enjoy the best of what other cultures have to offer?

Which reminds me of that Sopranos episode where Paulie is going on a rant to Big Pvssy about how Anglo America bastardizes Italian ideas like cappuccinos, espressos etc at a Starbucks like kind of coffee shop without giving credit to Italians :oldlol:
The funny thing about that is, you're Mexican. Things like tortillas actually come from Spain, don't they. Not positive. Spanish culture IS a European culture.

The funny thing about European cultures is...... They seem to actually LIKE spreading their culture. Whether it's the English, the French, the Spanish, the Italians, etc.... They like for people to adopt their culture. They don't get offended by people doing as they do. They encourage it.

Isn't it funny that Italian food, doesn't give any credit to getting tomatoes from the Spanish who got the from Mexico?

knickballer
05-18-2015, 10:44 PM
I think people in the US see white/anglo culture as the dominant culture and people think it's okay to copy it since it's in their everyday life. Other groups that are smaller and foreign(ie latino or asian) are more clannish and once someone from the dominant(ie white) or other group starts to copy it then it looks weird and offensive to them for w/e reason.

TheMan
05-18-2015, 10:49 PM
The funny thing about that is, you're Mexican. Things like tortillas actually come from Spain, don't they. Not positive. Spanish culture IS a European culture.

The funny thing about European cultures is...... They seem to actually LIKE spreading their culture. Whether it's the English, the French, the Spanish, the Italians, etc.... They like for people to adopt their culture. They don't get offended by people doing as they do. They encourage it.

Isn't it funny that Italian food, doesn't give any credit to getting tomatoes from the Spanish who got the from Mexico?
Well Mexican culture is the combination of Spanish and Native culture. Can't have it without one or the other. In Mexico there are those who try to deny they have any European blood to prop up their Native blood, claiming they are descendants of the Aztecs (a lot of Chicanos do this too) which is nonsense since they were pretty much wiped out. On the other hand, you have Mexicans who only want to claim Spanish ancestary, as if this makes them any better :facepalm Yeah it's pretty fvcked up :lol Me, I'm proud of both my bloodlines. I don't dis one or prop one over the other, both make me who I am.

There is racism in Mexico, just watch telenovelas, nothing but Southern European looking people. Some of the hotter nightclubs don't let people who look too Native in, unless you roll up in a Mercedes Benz that is, money talks, bullshit walks.

Pretty sure tortillas are a Native invention though, unless corn was cultivated in Spain, too...I didn't know tomatoes were exported to Europe, I always thought they grew them over there too.

El Kabong
05-19-2015, 03:02 AM
Not braids like this

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/01/20/12-year-old-bullied-as-stupid-racist-white-girl-for-new-hairstyle-173941

ace23
05-19-2015, 03:27 AM
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/01/20/12-year-old-bullied-as-stupid-racist-white-girl-for-new-hairstyle-173941
She look good in this (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFPo_lgUkAAAm1j.jpg:large) pic.

warriorfan
05-19-2015, 03:39 AM
What is the deal with people claiming this?

wat