PDA

View Full Version : LOL Okafor doesn't care about going #1 overall

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 02:48 PM
"I don't know that I should go No. 1," Okafor told SI Now. "I don't care. I just want to go to the right environment for me and the right team. I think the hype about No. 1 is more for the fans."

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/story/_/id/12918952/jahlil-okafor-says-being-no-1-pick-nba-draft-more-fans

Eric Cartman
05-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Translation: Wolves don't draft me, please.

Levity
05-20-2015, 02:55 PM
damn. Minnesota is turning into the prom queen that no one wants to sleep with.

Fallen Angel
05-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Kevin Garnett isn't gonna play that shit when Okafor works out for the team, same with Towns.

UK2K
05-20-2015, 03:03 PM
He doesn't want to go to Minny.

Its obvious.

KAT has flat out said he wants to be a Knick.

For those who think these guys don't care where they are drafted, you're an idiot.

chocolatethunder
05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Its obvious.

For those who think these guys don't care where they are drafted, you're an idiot.
That's cool and all and they can want whatever they want but the fact of the matter is that it's very rare for a player to force himself out of a team or to a team as a draftee in the NBA (francis is one). Who cares what KAT said about the Knicks. Lots of players say it would be a dream to play for their favorite teams from childhood or for their hometown teams. One of those guys is gonna have to suck it up and go to Minny.

FreezingTsmoove
05-20-2015, 03:10 PM
https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/brhltokiiaa-gqd_large.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ytVQjdQJyZI/U60FWDxLBqI/AAAAAAAAkuc/s_lmEnl6N3I/s1600/858294910.gif

keep-itreal
05-20-2015, 03:14 PM

:roll: :roll:

Patrick Chewing
05-20-2015, 03:21 PM
What will Minny take for the 1st pick??

HOoopCityJones
05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ytVQjdQJyZI/U60FWDxLBqI/AAAAAAAAkuc/s_lmEnl6N3I/s1600/858294910.gif

"Fucc man" :oldlol:

sd3035
05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FireMcFailPlease
05-20-2015, 03:24 PM
What will Minny take for the 1st pick??
Karl Anthony towns

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:25 PM

:roll: :roll:

outbreak
05-20-2015, 03:26 PM
This is the same answer lots of kids give. They are coached to say right fit is more important

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:27 PM
LOL. How bad will Towns and Okafor's interviews/workouts with the T Wolves be?

JellyBean
05-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Kevin Garnett isn't gonna play that shit when Okafor works out for the team, same with Towns.

Heck yeah. KG is going to set the rookies straight. He is already working on Wiggins and Lavine.

Milbuck
05-20-2015, 03:31 PM
So dumb. If KAT or Okafor become an elite center they could form a dynasty with Wiggins, Lavine, Rubio, Shabazz, etc. You got KG there guiding you, and all the young talent you could ask for as a rookie trying to build something from the ground up. Plus Minneapolis isn't even shitty, dudes acting like it's Flint MI or something. These kids need to re-assess their priorities because winning is the goal, and Minny is set up to do that very soon.

Off topic, but I think it's f*cking hilarious that Minny is pretty much doing exactly what Philly wanted to do, without even trying :roll:

UK2K
05-20-2015, 03:34 PM
So dumb. If KAT or Okafor become an elite center they could form a dynasty with Wiggins, Lavine, Rubio, Shabazz, etc. You got KG there guiding you, and all the young talent you could ask for as a rookie trying to build something from the ground up. Plus Minneapolis isn't even shitty, dudes acting like it's Flint MI or something. These kids need to re-assess their priorities because winning is the goal, and Minny is set up to do that very soon.

Off topic, but I think it's f*cking hilarious that Minny is pretty much doing exactly what Philly wanted to do, without even trying :roll:
Average temperature in Dec, Jan, Feb....

High of 26. Low of 9.

EFF. THAT.

Average temperatures in LA in Dec, Jan, Feb...

High of 69. Low of 48.

Same reason no free agents want to go to fvcking Milwaukee or Detroit. Cold ass temperatures in wack ass cities.

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:35 PM

True but playing with Clarkson, Randle, and max free agents in 2016 when Kobe's contract expires isn't too bad either.

bluechox2
05-20-2015, 03:35 PM

:lol

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:38 PM
How embarrassing would it be for Okafor/Towns to have LaVine's reaction after being selected number one overall?

JellyBean
05-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Its obvious.

As a Minnesota native and sports fan in general, it is frustrating to hear players say that they don't want to play in a certain city/state, in this case Minnesota.

If I am talented enough to get drafted, especially for a small market team, my goal would be to become so good that I not only create a legacy for myself in that small market team but also develop that team into a power. That is why I have always loved, respected, an admired Michael Jordan. He could have left Chicago but he chose to stay and the rest is history. Hopefully by the time the draft rolls around, these players have a change of heart. Would love to have either KAT or Okafor in Minnesota leading the Timberwolves into the playoffs. We will see what happens.

chosen_one6
05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
As a Minnesota native and sports fan in general, it is frustrating to hear players say that they don't want to play in a certain city/state, in this case Minnesota.

If I am talented enough to get drafted, especially for a small market team, my goal would be to become so good that I not only create a legacy for myself in that small market team but also develop that team into a power. That is why I have always loved, respected, an admired Michael Jordan. He could have left Chicago but he chose to stay and the rest is history. Hopefully by the time the draft rolls around, these players have a change of heart. Would love to have either KAT or Okafor in Minnesota leading the Timberwolves into the playoffs. We will see what happens.

Chicago is not a small market...bet money if MJ got drafted to Minnesota he would have left there. No one wants to live there.

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:47 PM

I think it's because the Lakers have the 2nd pick. Being "the man" for the Los Angeles Lakers has a certain prestige to it. Plus will either one be "the man" in Minny or just Wiggins' sidekick?

Eric Cartman
05-20-2015, 03:48 PM
This is only a discussion only because Los Angeles is in the mix, and the gap between quality of life of those 2 cities is huge.

If the top 3 was Minny, Cleveland and Detroit no one would say a thing.

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 03:51 PM
This is only a discussion only because Los Angeles is in the mix, and the gap between quality of life of those 2 cities is huge.

Yeah. Plus it's a close call between Okafor and Towns so they will try to make sure the other gets picked by Minny. :oldlol:

UK2K
05-20-2015, 03:52 PM

If the top 3 were Minny, LAL, and NYK, the top 5 would all be get injured.

UK2K
05-20-2015, 03:53 PM

And I like Indy, and my buddy is a die hard Pacers fan. I went to probably 8-10 games of theirs this year.

Im glad they got PG, but Hibbert and West are getting old, and Im afraid to see how players respond to an offer from a small market city in a cold climate such as Indianapolis.

It'd be different if it was Orlando, Miami, New Orleans...

Genaro
05-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Pretty much obvious that if any of the guys in the top 3 had a say about this they would choose LA or NY but the fact is: they don't. They can tank their workouts or say they don't want to go to Minnesota but Wolves will take one of them regardless and will have 7 years to convince them to stay.

Taller than CP3
05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
If I got drafted by the T-Wolves, the only words to come out of my mouth in my first interview minutes after being drafted would be "F*ck Minnesota" and I'd keep repeating it until they traded me.

ISHGoat
05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
If I got drafted by the T-Wolves, the only words to come out of my mouth in my first interview minutes after being drafted would be "F*ck Minnesota" and I'd keep repeating it until they traded me.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bynum took it a step further in cleveland and shot the ball every time he touched it during practice, no matter where he was on the court

oarabbus
05-20-2015, 04:02 PM

Might help if there was more than 1.25 other black players on the Twolves. No seriously.

ApexPredator
05-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Translation: Wolves don't draft me, please.

This.

Eric Cartman
05-20-2015, 04:08 PM

bynum took it a step further in cleveland and shot the ball every time he touched it during practice, no matter where he was on the court
:lol Bynum bout dat life

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 04:10 PM

A blueprint for Towns and Okafor's workouts with the T Wolves. :oldlol:

outbreak
05-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Even if he doesn't want to go there, you guys do realise most players say the exact same response when asked if going number one is important? It's a standard coached response to say that fit is more important than where they are picked.

FireMcFailPlease
05-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Might help if there was more than 1.25 other black players on the Twolves. No seriously.
Hey buddy. It's not 2011. Find some new material

FireMcFailPlease
05-20-2015, 04:51 PM
It's a good thing you'll never be in this position in life to every worry about being successful and this "problem".

KingLeBronJames
05-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Translation: "Timberwolves, please don't draft. I wanna go to the Lakers."

SexSymbol
05-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Why wouldn't you wanna live in Minnesota, it sound like a cool quiet city for a good normal life

BigBoss
05-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Honestly....LA next to maybe Miami is the worst environment to go into as a rookie (unless your alpha like Kobe). You're rich and theres toxic people and hot women trying to side track you before your career takes off. I would prefer Minnesota over LA, but if I were a franchise caliber player then obviously LA.

oarabbus
05-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Why wouldn't you wanna live in Minnesota, it sound like a cool quiet city for a good normal life

Minnesota is a state - I think you mean Minneapolis. It's actually one of the best up-and-coming cities right now.

They did a study ranking cities in America comparing affordability with upward mobility. Places like SF and NYC have the highest mobility but are the least affordable. Random cities like Dayton, Ohio have extremely low cost of living but near zero mobility.

The Minneapolis-St. Paul twin cities were 2 of the only 3 cities in the top 10 of both mobility AND affordability.

But then we aren't talking about people working desk jobs. NBA players are going to be amongst the elite and cost of living doesn't really matter to them.

Bigsmoke
05-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Minnesota Timberwolves has more potential to be great than another team on there.

I don't even think Minneapolis is that bad of a city. Milwaukee is far worst majority of the people living in Milwaukee are Bulls fans.

ImKobe
05-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Honestly....LA next to maybe Miami is the worst environment to go into as a rookie (unless your alpha like Kobe). You're rich and theres toxic people and hot women trying to side track you before your career takes off. I would prefer Minnesota over LA, but if I were a franchise caliber player then obviously LA.

You do realize half the time these guys are playing on the road, it's not like if you get drafted by Minny, you gonna be staying there the entire season.

Obviously most people would rather spend more time in LA than in Minnesota.

And for these kids, it's also about who you play with. Being around Kobe and playing with him his last years in the league and all the extra endorsements that are available in big markets sounds a lot more interesting than playing with a bunch of developing guys and sharing your minutes with Pekovic, Dieng. Lakers legit need a big man and the draftee will get a ton of minutes from the jump, that probably isn't the case in Minnesota.

It's a no-brainer.

Sportal
05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
If I was such a monster talent like KAT... I'd be wanting to be taught by KG.. I don't get it.

KNOW1EDGE
05-20-2015, 05:43 PM
I've never in my life heard a player say "I really want to go #1. It means a lot to me to be the first pick. I don't care about fit, culture, coaching etc etc I just want that number 1 spot"

Kblaze8855
05-20-2015, 05:48 PM
People do say they should go #1. I remember Dwight telling Orlando he wanted to be the best player of all time and that they should take him #1. IT was part of why they took him over the other Okafor. I had a clip of their GM at the time saying it in a video I made on him like 10 years ago.

EveryManALion
05-20-2015, 06:13 PM
OMFG Zach Lavine with his head on the table when they announced his pick, I am dying :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

gts
05-20-2015, 06:20 PM
LOL. How bad will Towns and Okafor's interviews/workouts with the T Wolves be?

they can actually refuse to work out for them...

you don't have to do the combine you don't have to attend private workouts

gts
05-20-2015, 06:21 PM
If I was such a monster talent like KAT... I'd be wanting to be taught by KG.. I don't get it.or you can go to LA and get coached up by Kareem...

Ca$H
05-20-2015, 06:22 PM
they can actually refuse to work out for them...

you don't have to do the combine you don't have to attend private workouts

It won't work though. T Wolves will draft Towns or Okafor for sure.

longtime lurker
05-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Sounds like he's sandbagging so the Wolves don't draft him lol Can't say I blame the guy.

Crown&Coke
05-20-2015, 06:53 PM
I thought the St. Paul/Minneapolis area was considered a nice place? IDK never been.

But as a CA kid, I don't know how quickly I would be able to adapt to the extreme cold. Driving in it, making sure the pipes don't freeze, salting your driveway, etc etc

But the team fit can make or break a guy's career if he aint one of the elite talents. So I get that part

dreamwarrior
05-20-2015, 07:16 PM
He wanted to be a Laker IIRC

Marchesk
05-20-2015, 07:51 PM
What makes LA a "healthy" town? Minneapolis is rated the healthiest city in America. I can't wait for the Wolves to be better than the Lakers for next decade.