PDA

View Full Version : Possible picks at #4

el gringos
05-21-2015, 05:25 PM
What a huge choice coming up. So much high potential, but a difficult mix to scout/compare to each other.

Russell or Mudiay - one of them likely on the board @4

WCS and Winslow - the safe bets

Porzingis and Mario- is there a superstar there?

My guess is that Phil takes porzingis, the pg, or WCS. How do you rank those 5 players? Is there anyone else that should be considered? Which of the guards to you think philly takes

NBAplayoffs2001
05-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Ranking:

1. Russell
2. Mudiay
3. Winslow/Mario
4. Winslow/Mario
5. WCS (not sold at all on him)
6. Porzingis (I have always been wary of bigs from overseas).

People I've talked to who are Sixers fan all want Russell. He will be off the board but I really hope he is there at #4.

I really like Mario but he played for a very talented Barcelona team with limited minutes. Some of his drives to the basket are nasty but he still has a lot to learn and improve. His attitude wasn't great but he seems to be more ball dominant or not in favor of the European game as overall teamwork prevails rather than star power. He looked far more athletic than anyone else who played him in the highlights I've watched.

I saw Porzingis get beat by 6'8'' 240 guys. Should never happen for a guy that big in an Eastern European league and be projected a top 10 pick.

Patrick Chewing
05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Either Winslow or believe it or not, the possibility that Okafor or Towns will fall to us at 4.

I like Winslow better because he has an NBA ready body and is a unique talent for wing. I think the Knicks can do better at the point later in the draft by a trade or by Free Agency.

niko
05-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Knicks aren't taking a Euro unless it's a late round stash if we pick up some 2nds. That's not even worth discussing.

el gringos
05-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Either Winslow or believe it or not, the possibility that Okafor or Towns will fall to us at 4.

I like Winslow better because he has an NBA ready body and is a unique talent for wing. I think the Knicks can do better at the point later in the draft by a trade or by Free Agency.
What do you mean by unique? Sf game in a sg size body? I like his game a lot, seems to do the dirty work- runs the court and defends. I just worry about if he is a good enough ball handler to play guard in a 2 guard front offense. Seems like a luxury pick for someone who already has primary and secondary option guys and just need a great role playing glue guy.

I agree that other pg's could be had later in the draft but there's no picks later. And no elite talents like mudiay or Russell are supposed to be. If they aren't elite all star caliber talents then I say don't make a small improvement in talent there at that position.

Just a huge scouting decision that won't be easy

el gringos
05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Knicks aren't taking a Euro unless it's a late round stash if we pick up some 2nds. That's not even worth discussing.
Porzingis has the type of talent you'd be a fool to avoid looking into. Especially for a reason as petty as where he is from. If he has the mental make up needed he is a potential star.

NBAplayoffs2001
05-22-2015, 01:43 PM
What do you mean by unique? Sf game in a sg size body? I like his game a lot, seems to do the dirty work- runs the court and defends. I just worry about if he is a good enough ball handler to play guard in a 2 guard front offense. Seems like a luxury pick for someone who already has primary and secondary option guys and just need a great role playing glue guy.

I agree that other pg's could be had later in the draft but there's no picks later. And no elite talents like mudiay or Russell are supposed to be. If they aren't elite all star caliber talents then I say don't make a small improvement in talent there at that position.

Just a huge scouting decision that won't be easy

Winslow's best fit is honestly the Magic or the Lakers not the Knicks.

NBAplayoffs2001
05-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Porzingis has the type of talent you'd be a fool to avoid looking into. Especially for a reason as petty as where he is from. If he has the mental make up needed he is a potential star.

This is what I watched and it scares me quite a bit. His physicality is lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWOjHoJ-U6A

He's not going to be good anytime soon. He may be a great pro down the line but I don't see him having an immediate impact.

He reminds me of a young Dirk though.

smoovegittar
05-22-2015, 09:24 PM
It'll be Mudiay and we finally have a point guard. Win/win. I don't see any good pg's coming here via trade or free agency. WCS is an injury waiting to happen... reminds me of Jared Jeffries. Gotta try and get rid of Calderon.

el gringos
05-23-2015, 02:44 PM
It'll be Mudiay and we finally have a point guard. Win/win. I don't see any good pg's coming here via trade or free agency. WCS is an injury waiting to happen... reminds me of Jared Jeffries. Gotta try and get rid of Calderon.
Injury waiting to happen why? The Jared Jeffries comparisons is terrible.

smoovegittar
05-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Injury waiting to happen why? The Jared Jeffries comparisons is terrible.
He's anemic for one. Sickle cell. It affected his college game. Maybe you should dig deeper.

el gringos
05-23-2015, 10:02 PM
He's anemic for one. Sickle cell. It affected his college game. Maybe you should dig deeper.
Good catch, but even though I don't know a thing about medicine, it sounds like it's by far the less serious version and something he isn't or wasn't at the time of the article I read even being medicated for it. I wouldn't think it should be a problem when dealt with at the highest level.

I love WCS and think he would be perfect between the 2 best players on this Knicks team, but still see him as option #3 behind the pg and porzingos

smoovegittar
05-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Good catch, but even though I don't know a thing about medicine, it sounds like it's by far the less serious version and something he isn't or wasn't at the time of the article I read even being medicated for it. I wouldn't think it should be a problem when dealt with at the highest level.

I love WCS and think he would be perfect between the 2 best players on this Knicks team, but still see him as option #3 behind the pg and porzingos

His version apparently robs the body of energy. He had chest pains and missed games. I'll pass -

bluechox2
05-24-2015, 05:41 PM
it comes down to mudiay or winslow...or we trade the dam thing...one thing it for sure, being the knicks, they will find a way to screw this up also

el gringos
05-26-2015, 03:10 AM
Beyond being skinny can anyone come up with something that Porzingis is missing? I'm not saying you don't go guard if you love both and one is left at 4 but if porzingis is available at 4 you definitely consider him.

1- hope like hell that the lakers take okafor

2- take the bpa out of porzingis, Russell, mudiay regardless of position. At least one of them will be a superstar. I have been believing that getting a guard will be too hard and that you have too. The more I watch mudiay a nd porzingis the more I like, I've been for Russell over towns and okafor the whole time partly due to fit with Carmelo and team needs and because I think he has star quality

el gringos
05-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Please don't let okafor be available. The Winslow stuff is idiot guy stuff. The choices are mudiay/Russell leftover and then porzingis and then WCS.

Winslow would be nice If the Knicks had multiple picks like 6 and 7

Patrick Chewing
05-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Please don't let okafor be available. The Winslow stuff is idiot guy stuff. The choices are mudiay/Russell leftover and then porzingis and then WCS.

Winslow would be nice If the Knicks had multiple picks like 6 and 7

Assuming the Knicks don't get another bonafide scorer in Free Agency, if you draft WCS, then who else but Melo shoots the ball?? I rather get a big man through Free Agency, and draft a guard or a guy like Winslow who plays on both sides of the ball pretty well.

However, based on your trade idea from the other thread, if we can get two picks like a 6th and 7th, then I would look at Winslow and WCS.

As a lifelong Duke fan, I saw every game Winslow played this year and he showed the most heart in the championship game. With the right system, this guy can be something special.

el gringos
05-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love winslows game, and think he would fit great between Calderon and Carmelo doing the dirty work. I just don't know if that's a luxery the Knicks can afford right now. WCS is the same- a perfect fit between Carmelo and bargnani, but not sure you could take either at 4. Trading down and ending up w 2 picks is prop a pipe dream. But if you could turn 4, thj, and even a future 1st into 6&7 it would be worth it.

Calderon
Winslow
Carmelo
WCS
Bargnani

Then you wouldn't be stuck being forces into buying any specific position and just be able to try to get a good contract/player.

If it's true that the top 4 are locked in as a tier then I would say that it's not a 4 player draft but an 8. WCS, Winslow, porzingis, and Mario I like all. I would love to end up w any 2 exept maybe Mario and Winslow because I don't want or think they'll move Carmelo to pf.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Could you imagine Russell in a Mudiay type of athletic body. :eek:

I wish we could mesh the two into a prospect.

Jasi
06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Here's hoping we pick Russell

niko
06-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love winslows game, and think he would fit great between Calderon and Carmelo doing the dirty work. I just don't know if that's a luxery the Knicks can afford right now. WCS is the same- a perfect fit between Carmelo and bargnani, but not sure you could take either at 4. Trading down and ending up w 2 picks is prop a pipe dream. But if you could turn 4, thj, and even a future 1st into 6&7 it would be worth it.

Calderon
Winslow
Carmelo
WCS
Bargnani

Then you wouldn't be stuck being forces into buying any specific position and just be able to try to get a good contract/player.

If it's true that the top 4 are locked in as a tier then I would say that it's not a 4 player draft but an 8. WCS, Winslow, porzingis, and Mario I like all. I would love to end up w any 2 exept maybe Mario and Winslow because I don't want or think they'll move Carmelo to pf.

Calderon hasn't played much less started for months and Bargnani isn't on the team anymore. Kind of makes your analysis moot.

el gringos
06-14-2015, 12:40 AM
There are 3 possible picks. Russell, porzingis, or WCS. May even get to pick between 2 of them. I think mudiay and Mario are the longshots

smoovegittar
06-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Calderon hasn't played much less started for months and Bargnani isn't on the team anymore. Kind of makes your analysis moot.
Bargnono not on team anymore? :confusedshrug:

el gringos
06-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Bargnono not on team anymore? :confusedshrug:
Well sure he is a free agent. But you don't let your second best player walk when he's about to be paid less and you are trying to get better.

Does anybody know if the cap space can be used and then bargnani re signed?

smoovegittar
06-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Well sure he is a free agent. But you don't let your second best player walk when he's about to be paid less and you are trying to get better.

Does anybody know if the cap space can be used and then bargnani re signed?

If you want to be considered a serious poster around here, perhaps you would explain your attraction to said "2nd best player". What exactly has this player done for the franchise at all, besides missing games and defensive assignments?

Here is an opportunity for you to display your NBA mindset. What is the attraction?

bluechox2
06-16-2015, 06:36 PM
we had bargs for 2 years now, and both times lead to one of our worst seasons...what do you think will happen differently if he stays for another few?

redrich2000
06-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Porzingas and WCS stocks rising. Choice might be between Russell and WCS at 4.

el gringos
06-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Porzingas and WCS stocks rising. Choice might be between Russell and WCS at 4.
As long as the pick is Russell, porzingis, or WCS it's a great draft.

el gringos
06-17-2015, 02:18 AM
If you want to be considered a serious poster around here, perhaps you would explain your attraction to said "2nd best player". What exactly has this player done for the franchise at all, besides missing games and defensive assignments?

Here is an opportunity for you to display your NBA mindset. What is the attraction?
First off the guy has a ton of talent. And the talent fits perfectly with Carmelo

I believe a championship team can be built around Carmelo, but that Carmelo is not today's prototype sf. I believe he is a unique talent and more difficult to build around than the perimeter 3's that most teams use. I think as a perimeter 3 Carmelo is an all star but used as a power 3 he is a superstar.

To use Carmelo in a power 3 role it will take bigs that can fill into some roles traditionally thought of as wing roles.

I don't think you use bargnani as a guy to just stand at the 3 point line but that he has to be covered 15-18 all the way out to the 3 point line- spacing the floor and allowing Carmelo to play closer to the basket.

If Carmelo starts the majority of his possessions off of an entry pass 15 feet and in he becomes a threat to score or pass. Starting most of his possessions from the 3 point line off the dribble he becomes an ISO scorer only.

I like bargnani because he is talented and meshes w Carmelo's strengths perfectly. We just haven't seen it because of both guys inability to stay healthy the last 2 seasons.

el gringos
06-17-2015, 02:21 AM
we had bargs for 2 years now, and both times lead to one of our worst seasons...what do you think will happen differently if he stays for another few?
I think that the chances are that he will be healthier.

To think bargnani came in and ruined something that was going to work is a joke. He has definitly been terrible at staying healthy, but he is still talented enough that he is clearly the teams 2nd best player, and if you get a pick and a couple free agents with top end talent you have a really talented team.

Jasi
06-17-2015, 04:42 AM
First off the guy has a ton of talent. And the talent fits perfectly with Carmelo

I believe a championship team can be built around Carmelo, but that Carmelo is not today's prototype sf. I believe he is a unique talent and more difficult to build around than the perimeter 3's that most teams use. I think as a perimeter 3 Carmelo is an all star but used as a power 3 he is a superstar.

To use Carmelo in a power 3 role it will take bigs that can fill into some roles traditionally thought of as wing roles.

I don't think you use bargnani as a guy to just stand at the 3 point line but that he has to be covered 15-18 all the way out to the 3 point line- spacing the floor and allowing Carmelo to play closer to the basket.

If Carmelo starts the majority of his possessions off of an entry pass 15 feet and in he becomes a threat to score or pass. Starting most of his possessions from the 3 point line off the dribble he becomes an ISO scorer only.

I like bargnani because he is talented and meshes w Carmelo's strengths perfectly. We just haven't seen it because of both guys inability to stay healthy the last 2 seasons.

I am not in love w/ Bargs like you, but I agree with this post.

However the inability to stay healthy IS an actual issue.
We cannot waste time anymore.

Da KO King
06-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I still think all the draft talk is useless because of the coach.

That said, I'd like them to considering trading down. I think WCS ends up being a quality athletic rim protector who can also run the floor. One of those Deandre Jordan/Hassan Whiteside type guys.

See if you can move down with hopes of getting WCS and Stanley Johnson.

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I have a sneaky feeling that Okafor drops to us.

:bowdown:

bluechox2
06-17-2015, 04:46 PM

no way...we will probably go for winslow

el gringos
06-18-2015, 04:05 AM
no way...we will probably go for winslow
How could you pick Winslow if you had WCS and prob porzingis , maybe even Russell?

el gringos
06-18-2015, 04:11 AM

I'm getting that feeling too. But it doesn't mean you have to draft him. Russell/porzingis/stien - tier 1
Mario/mudiay - tier 2
Okafor, Winslow - tier 3

There will be at least 1 tier 1 guy left. Don't take okafor. WCS over okafor if Russell a nd porzingis are off the board

Rameek
06-18-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm getting that feeling too. But it doesn't mean you have to draft him. Russell/porzingis/stien - tier 1
Mario/mudiay - tier 2
Okafor, Winslow - tier 3

There will be at least 1 tier 1 guy left. Don't take okafor. WCS over okafor if Russell a nd porzingis are off the board
What makes YOU think Porzingis is tier 1?

Patrick Chewing
06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
gringos off his meds again as usual.

There is no way Cauley-Stein is better than Okafor. At anything.

If Okafor is there at 4, the Knicks will draft him.

smoovegittar
06-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Bargnani is not a PJ kind of player. Sure, he can get hot with his shooting - so can a better portion of the league. But he's a 7 footer that won't rebound and doesn't seem to understand how to block out. Terrible passer as well. He looks clueless out there when the team runs plays. I also believe he's busted - he think's he's still a superstar after coming undone in Toronto, and between injuries and the bright lights I don't think this guy plays another serious minute of NBA ball. If he had anything to show Jackson last year, then I missed something. Glad he'll be off the books.

... in other news, is it any surprise witnessing J.R. Smith's disappearing act in Cleveland? They'll be shipping his ass out as well. I have no tolerance for chuckers who don't "get it". Carmelo is about all I can handle.

el gringos
06-18-2015, 07:00 PM
gringos off his meds again as usual.

There is no way Cauley-Stein is better than Okafor. At anything.

If Okafor is there at 4, the Knicks will draft him.
You mean other than everything defensively, screening, cutting, shooting free throws, jumpshot. Did you mean he WCS isn't better as a post scorer but better at everything else. And taller, way more athletic and faster running the floor, better at catching lobs

Jasi
06-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Can I ask you guys: if you're at Barclays Centre on the 25th at the moment the Knicks are picking, what picks would you boo at, and what picks would you cheer at?

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Can I ask you guys: if you're at Barclays Centre on the 25th at the moment the Knicks are picking, what picks would you boo at, and what picks would you cheer at?

Any Euro player or WCS.

I would obviously cheer for Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, or Winslow.

My rankings would be:

1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Winslow
4. Russell
5. Mudiay

Jasi
06-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Any Euro player or WCS.

My rankings would be:

1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Winslow
4. Russell
5. Mudiay

"Any Euro" :lol

Why WCS?

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2015, 10:29 AM
"Any Euro" :lol

Why WCS?

Knicks need another scorer besides Melo. WCS is not a scorer the way Okafor is. I wouldn't put too much focus on the defense cause Okafor is such a big body anyway that just by him standing there, he's going to cause trouble for people taking it to the hoop.

All the other guys on that list are two-way players also.

smoovegittar
06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Any Euro player or WCS.

My rankings would be:

1. Towns
2. Okafor
3. Winslow
4. Russell
5. Mudiay

I'm down with this list, Chew - but I have a suspicion Mudiay will be a beast. I won't cry if we land Russell, tho. I'm not sold on Winslow.

el gringos
06-21-2015, 04:57 AM
Knicks need another scorer besides Melo. WCS is not a scorer the way Okafor is. I wouldn't put too much focus on the defense cause Okafor is such a big body anyway that just by him standing there, he's going to cause trouble for people taking it to the hoop.

All the other guys on that list are two-way players also.
Need another scorer? Is that why you take Winslow over Russell or porzingis?

I like Winslow a lot. But he is a luxery for a team that can't afford it. Sure he'd be great dirty work player next to Carmelo. It's just that w this pick there will be potential primary option types and you have to take one of the. Sure, Winslow is a safe pick- but the ability to get what he would bring in free agency is a lot greater than to buy what you could get from Russell, porzingis, or WCS

Jasi
06-22-2015, 05:49 AM
How likely is such a scenario?

Calderon / Shved
Winslow / Tim / Galloway
Melo / Acy or Ledo
Millsap / Jason Smith
Greg Monroe / Aldrich

kshutts1
06-22-2015, 08:18 AM
I do not understand the direction of the Knicks.

In my mind, the #4 pick and Melo can not be on this Knicks team. The team is bad. Either you want to "win now" because of Melo's greatness and age, and thus trade the pick, or you are "tanking" and trade Melo.

If wanting to win, trade #4 to...
Charlotte for #9 and Kemba?
Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks would also have to add a second, or a decent player, or a future protected first)
Detroit for Reggie and #8

I think all teams would do those trades. Then You have a player that's more ready to win now than a draftee would be. With the excess cap room, still have space to sign Millsap and a cheap defensive center like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos, etc.
And with the slightly later pick, and a more talented roster, you can be more willing to take a project/unknown, or you can draft a more NBA ready player.

But if you want to keep the pick, and trade Melo? Well... that's a thread for another day.

Jasi
06-22-2015, 08:25 AM

In my mind, the #4 pick and Melo can not be on this Knicks team. The team is bad. Either you want to "win now" because of Melo's greatness and age, and thus trade the pick, or you are "tanking" and trade Melo.

Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks would also have to add a second, or a decent player, or a future protected first)

I think all teams would do those trades. Then You have a player that's more ready to win now than a draftee would be. With the excess cap room, still have space to sign Millsap and a cheap defensive center like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos, etc.
And with the slightly later pick, and a more talented roster, you can be more willing to take a project/unknown, or you can draft a more NBA ready player.

But if you want to keep the pick, and trade Melo? Well... that's a thread for another day.

I am afraid that trading the pick would result in sucking up more cap space while having a comparable starting talent.
I say pick Russell if he's there, or Winslow. They definitely look like they can start already (much more so than WCS).
And then throw your money at two big men in free agency.

el gringos
06-22-2015, 12:15 PM

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Using the fourth pick to get a sign and trade for a player no better than what could be had in free agency is stupid.

Lawson and Kemba both bad fits anyway

el gringos
06-22-2015, 12:17 PM
How likely is such a scenario?

Calderon / Shved
Winslow / Tim / Galloway
Melo / Acy or Ledo
Millsap / Jason Smith
Greg Monroe / Aldrich
Worst case scenario

Would the Knicks get abything for trading down and picking Winslow or are you suggesting taking Winslow at 4?

Jasi
06-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Winslow is projected at the 5th-6th pick however. What would you get from that? Nothing that really changes the scenario.

As in: draft a guard, sign two FA big men, fill the team.

smoovegittar
06-22-2015, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=kshutts1]I do not understand the direction of the Knicks.

Why do you believe we have to win now with Melo? He's got at least 4 more good years; I see Phil building around him a core that can continue to grow when his time is up. I think people are losing the perspective that this cannot be a "win now" team - it doesn't work, and won't work with NY in particular. Jackson has stated that his goal is to bring respectability back into this organization as the top priority - in other words, he knows we can't contend for another 2 years at least.

There is no quick fix, and Carmelo is willing to wait. Why is this unbelievable to some?

Jasi
06-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Now the Bledsoe trade with the Suns, that I would like. Love the guy's game and he's not expensive.

kshutts1
06-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Why do you believe we have to win now with Melo? He's got at least 4 more good years; I see Phil building around him a core that can continue to grow when his time is up. I think people are losing the perspective that this cannot be a "win now" team - it doesn't work, and won't work with NY in particular. Jackson has stated that his goal is to bring respectability back into this organization as the top priority - in other words, he knows we can't contend for another 2 years at least.

There is no quick fix, and Carmelo is willing to wait. Why is this unbelievable to some?
What is unbelievable to me is thinking that Melo will be a big difference maker in 4 years.

Melo is 31 now. He's currently a top 10 player in the league.
In 4 years, he will not be 31... he'll be 35. He will not be a top 10 player in the league. Likely not even top 10 SF.

It is my opinion that teams should capitalize on having such a great advantage. Not many teams have a top 10 player in the league. It makes such little sense to sit on him at the end of his prime and not put a contender around him.

So again.. trade him, or deal the pick for veteran (albeit still young) help.

kshutts1
06-23-2015, 12:57 PM
The following likely wouldn't both be done.. one or the other.

Calderon to Minn for Pek and a heavily protected first.
Minn gets a stable, veteran backup PG and a lot more future cap flexibility.
Knicks get a low post bruiser to help them compete now. Still have cap space for a max contract, and Aldridge would be a perfect fit.

#4 pick to Thunder for #14, Adams, Lamb and Perry Jones. Asking for both Lamb and Perry may be too much. Might have to settle for just one.
Thunder off-load some depth and get a high pick where they can choose a longer term project (Mario? Kristaps?).
Knicks get 2-3 good rotation players and still maintain an OK pick. Still might have cap space for a max contract, but it will be close.

I personally like the second trade...
Calderon/Galloway/Larkin
Lamb/THJ (off the bench scoring punch)/Galloway
Melo/Early/PJ
Millsap/PJ
Adams/Myles Turner (#14 pick?)

See some growth from Lamb, PJ, Adams, Galloway and a continued offensive assault from THJ, and that team can do damage.

smoovegittar
06-23-2015, 04:44 PM
What is unbelievable to me is thinking that Melo will be a big difference maker in 4 years.

Melo is 31 now. He's currently a top 10 player in the league.
In 4 years, he will not be 31... he'll be 35. He will not be a top 10 player in the league. Likely not even top 10 SF.

It is my opinion that teams should capitalize on having such a great advantage. Not many teams have a top 10 player in the league. It makes such little sense to sit on him at the end of his prime and not put a contender around him.

It is unbelievable to you that Melo will be a difference maker in 2 years.

Ok then.

kshutts1
06-24-2015, 10:51 AM
It is unbelievable to you that Melo will be a difference maker in 2 years.

Ok then.
I said 4.

Aiming at "2" is just an incredibly short window.

Whatever makes Knicks fans happy though, I guess.

smoovegittar
06-24-2015, 05:59 PM
I said 4.

Aiming at "2" is just an incredibly short window.

Whatever makes Knicks fans happy though, I guess.

I know you said "4". 2 could be lumped in here.

My take - NYC signs Lopez, brings in Russell or Mudiay, gets another few decent role players via free agency and signs another great talent in 2016. This team with Melo can compete with the best the East will have in 2017. I just feel you're singling out Melo here, but it's alright.

Da KO King
06-24-2015, 07:28 PM
The following likely wouldn't both be done.. one or the other.

Calderon to Minn for Pek and a heavily protected first.
Minn gets a stable, veteran backup PG and a lot more future cap flexibility.
Knicks get a low post bruiser to help them compete now. Still have cap space for a max contract, and Aldridge would be a perfect fit.

#4 pick to Thunder for #14, Adams, Lamb and Perry Jones. Asking for both Lamb and Perry may be too much. Might have to settle for just one.
Thunder off-load some depth and get a high pick where they can choose a longer term project (Mario? Kristaps?).
Knicks get 2-3 good rotation players and still maintain an OK pick. Still might have cap space for a max contract, but it will be close.

I personally like the second trade...
Calderon/Galloway/Larkin
Lamb/THJ (off the bench scoring punch)/Galloway
Melo/Early/PJ
Millsap/PJ
Adams/Myles Turner (#14 pick?)

See some growth from Lamb, PJ, Adams, Galloway and a continued offensive assault from THJ, and that team can do damage.
If the Knicks drafted Myles Turner with the 14 I'd be super pissed.

niko
06-25-2015, 09:38 AM
As long as Knicks don't move down for some middling asset I'm fine. WCS, no prob. Portzingis. No prob. So many times the obvious pick isn't the right pick, so to be mad at someone i think should go 7th vs. 4th is silly and i'm not doing it.

kshutts1
06-25-2015, 10:31 AM
I know you said "4". 2 could be lumped in here.

My take - NYC signs Lopez, brings in Russell or Mudiay, gets another few decent role players via free agency and signs another great talent in 2016. This team with Melo can compete with the best the East will have in 2017. I just feel you're singling out Melo here, but it's alright.
I am singling him out, because he is SO GOOD. I love Melo.

Lebron, Durant, Davis, Westbrook, Paul, Griffin, Cousins are the only players I'll say are 100% better than Melo. Curry and Harden are up there, too.

If the Knicks, as a franchise, want to pick a really great prospect like Mudiay, sign some solid players at good cost OR a star, then next summer get the other... I'm cool with that.

Reason I don't suggest it, however, is it's so unknown.. but what's not unknown is that you have a top 10 player in the league, in his prime, who has arguably a top 3 one-on-one game in the entire league. Would be a shame for the FO to leave it to chance of the said draft pick and "maybe" signing someone.

smoovegittar
06-25-2015, 05:31 PM
I am singling him out, because he is SO GOOD. I love Melo.

Lebron, Durant, Davis, Westbrook, Paul, Griffin, Cousins are the only players I'll say are 100% better than Melo. Curry and Harden are up there, too.

If the Knicks, as a franchise, want to pick a really great prospect like Mudiay, sign some solid players at good cost OR a star, then next summer get the other... I'm cool with that.

Reason I don't suggest it, however, is it's so unknown.. but what's not unknown is that you have a top 10 player in the league, in his prime, who has arguably a top 3 one-on-one game in the entire league. Would be a shame for the FO to leave it to chance of the said draft pick and "maybe" signing someone.

I like Melo as well. It's too bad front office ****ed up the team so much. Let's hope for a killer night tonight. :cheers:

kshutts1
06-25-2015, 06:10 PM
I like Melo as well. It's too bad front office ****ed up the team so much. Let's hope for a killer night tonight. :cheers:
Most pumped I've been for a draft since Bulls had the first pick.

knickscity
06-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Almost time. The future begins shortly.....

Jasi
06-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Phil don't fvck it up man...

Jasi
06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
He did. He did.
:facepalm

knickscity
06-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Bold move Phil. Sounds like a trade down on the way though.

franchize
06-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Mudiay was sitting right there to be taken...and we took a project. Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the Knicks fans make excuses for how this is a good thing. :facepalm

I really this will lead to a move down the road...but i dont think so

franchize
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Jerian Grant pick > Porzingis pick in my opinion. Grant is way underrated

Scoooter
06-25-2015, 11:15 PM
I like it. We weren't getting Towns or Russell, and I wasn't in to Mudiay at all. The only other guys I liked after the top 3 were Cauley-Stein and Winslow, But Porzingis I think has more potential.

And the Knicks need to hit home runs to get into contention.

el gringos
06-26-2015, 01:44 AM
What a huge choice coming up.

My guess is that Phil takes porzingis

Phil keeps doing the job. Get ready for the other 3 guys I've asked for the be re signed. Bargnani, smith, and shved. D west is a good pickup

Time to finish the offseason out w................... Josh smith, monta Ellis, and kj mcdaniels

Calderon/grant/shved/Galloway
Monta/mcdaniels/cleanthony
Carmelo
Smith/west/porzingis
Bargnani/smith/hermgomez/Aldrich

bluechox2
06-26-2015, 04:57 AM
hernangomez isnt coming next season..hes a draft and stash...josh smith is terrible fit and wont separate from his bbf in houston so thats good news.

i like the west addition and he should be starting up front with melo and prozingis...calderon needs to get moved to let our pg of the future grant to develop

Jasi
06-26-2015, 06:32 AM
After some thought, I am less sad than I was right after the pick. Still not very happy though.

Positives
1) He's Baltic :pimp: tough guys, with bball as a religion
2) Apparently his talent is enough to make him a GM favourite after workouts
3) A damn sweet jumper he has; good for the triangle
4) He's Baltic!

Negatives
1) Not ready, and if we want to win with Melo, we don't have time
2) His position is where there are more and better free agents
3) Except for the mid range J, I don't see much else to fit him in the triangle
4) Our free agency work gets tougher: he's not a guy that will lure free agents in; plus, there aren't many good guards around
5) He's a 4 and he doesn't crash the boards and I hate that

kshutts1
06-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Said it on the main forum, I'll say it again here...

Picking Kristaps just SCREAMS rebuild.

HOWEVER, the Knicks couldn't trade the pick itself, as they've traded next year's pick. So they can still "right" this "wrong". Trade one of them. Kristaps will not be helping NYK win a title for at least 3-4 years.

The trade of an established, solid player in THJ speaks towards a rebuild, rather than a "win now". So I'll be curious if the Knicks now trade Melo for Monroe in a S & T, or Bledsoe, or some other good, younger player.

It does look like Phil is leaning towards rebuilding which, logically, means getting rid of Melo.

Jasi
06-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Don't get my hopes up...

franchize
06-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Phil keeps doing the job. Get ready for the other 3 guys I've asked for the be re signed. Bargnani, smith, and shved. D west is a good pickup

Time to finish the offseason out w................... Josh smith, monta Ellis, and kj mcdaniels

Calderon/grant/shved/Galloway
Monta/mcdaniels/cleanthony
Carmelo
Smith/west/porzingis
Bargnani/smith/hermgomez/Aldrich

4th pick of the draft is playing behind Josh Smith and David West? :facepalm

This is what it's come to huh? David West won't come here for chump change btw. He left 12 million on the table with a better team.

Anyway, I hope this dude can produce something sooner than later. I like the Jerian Grant pick even though I wanted Mudiay. Oh well. Just popping my head in to say wassup guys. Peace.

Jasi
06-26-2015, 09:05 AM
Hi franchize, long time no see.
A tanking season was too much for me.
I was so hyped up for this draft, now I am more worried than happy.

el gringos
06-26-2015, 09:17 AM
4th pick of the draft is playing behind Josh Smith and David West? :facepalm

This is what it's come to huh? David West won't come here for chump change btw. He left 12 million on the table with a better team.

Anyway, I hope this dude can produce something sooner than later. I like the Jerian Grant pick even though I wanted Mudiay. Oh well. Just popping my head in to say wassup guys. Peace.
I shouldn't have listed that order. All I meant was start David west at the beginning of season and leadership spot for porzingis to come take. Smith as a 6th man type forward. (Notice no backup sf's)

I love the porzingis pick. Prob not a need for spending huge money, but even w porz and David west there still needs to be the right 2-3 bigs brought in to make a good unit up front. I think the second round pick hernangomez could be a big steal- any word on if/when he plans to come over?

el gringos
06-26-2015, 09:20 AM
hernangomez isnt coming next season..hes a draft and stash...josh smith is terrible fit and wont separate from his bbf in houston so thats good news.

i like the west addition and he should be starting up front with melo and prozingis...calderon needs to get moved to let our pg of the future grant to develop
You starting David west at Center? I'd use him as a caretaker of that starting pf spot for porzingis to learn from and come take the spot from. Let porzingis start the season out off the bench to avoid getting beat up and have some easier matchups - starting by the end of the season.

Too bad no hernangomez now but still might have been a great steal