PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gobert or Jahlil Okafor?

Ca$H
05-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Who would you rather have?

ClipperRevival
05-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Gobert is a proven rim protector at this level while Okafor is a question mark. I'll take Gobert. Okafor could turn out great but I would rather go with the sure thing.

Fallguy20
05-22-2015, 01:14 PM
I want the proven DPOY candidate with a soft touch over the college kid who disappears for stretches of games.

ClipperRevival
05-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Every team in the league wants a great rim protector because there is so much value in having one. Some teams can win without one but every team wants one.

Fudge
05-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Rudy Gobert will be a top 5 big man next year.

No comparison here. Give me Godbert all day.

ClipperRevival
05-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Doesn't Gobert have the greatest wingspan 7'9" or greatest standing reach 9'7" ever recorded? He's like a human wall both vertically and horizontally. Can you imagine how DOMINANT this guy would be if he had DJ's or Dwight's athleticism? It would be downright unfair.

Rooster
05-22-2015, 02:07 PM
I'll take Okafor for his potential. Sure Gobert can be that next Tyson Chandler and it's not a bad thing but Okafor has a higher ceiling.

ralph_i_el
05-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Couldn't have picked two more different young bigmen to compare!

Imagine Jahlil with Gobert's arms :eek:

ClipperRevival
05-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Okafor actually has a pretty long wingspan himself at about 7'5", which is right on par with Anthony Davis. He's also got huge hands and can just palm the ball like a grapefruit. That's an advantage in basketball anytime you can just hold it with one hand.

MJ and Erving also had that advantage. Not too many guys have the hands to hold it with one hand.

ralph_i_el
05-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Okafor actually has a pretty long wingspan himself at about 7'5", which is right on par with Anthony Davis. He's also got huge hands and can just palm the ball like a grapefruit. That's an advantage in basketball anytime you can just hold it with one hand.

MJ and Erving also had that advantage. Not too many guys have the hands to hold it with one hand.

That's true, i forgot about his mitts. Still, Gobert has THE longest wingspan

Ca$H
05-22-2015, 03:29 PM

LOL that was the point!

HurricaneKid
05-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Its Gobert and its not remotely close.

GOBB
05-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Okafor.

buddha
05-22-2015, 04:16 PM
if Okafor can learn to play defense he's going to be a top 10 player in the NBA. It's probably easier for Okafor to learn defense then for Gobert to learn offense.

but it really depends on how my team is set up if I have a couple guards/wings that can score i'm taking Gobert, if my team is lacking offense but good defensively i'm taking Okafor.

BlakFrankWhite
05-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Telling y'all Okafor will be K.Love 2.0

BlakFrankWhite
05-22-2015, 04:19 PM
if Okafor can learn to play defense he's going to be a top 10 player in the NBA. It's probably easier for Okafor to learn defense then for Gobert to learn offense.

but it really depends on how my team is set up if I have a couple guards/wings that can score i'm taking Gobert, if my team is lacking offense but good defensively i'm taking Okafor.

Who would be a better fit for LAL?

Levity
05-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Who would be a better fit for LAL?

the lakers dont really have a structured line up, yet. so if they do draft okafor, theyll try surround him with players that void his deficiencies.

ImKobe
05-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Telling y'all Okafor will be K.Love 2.0

:biggums:

Different players. Okafor plays in the post and under the basket, he can't shoot all that well..

and he has a 7-5 wing span, good enough to at least be average on defense, need to see him play against NBA competition to determine that first.

ralph_i_el
05-22-2015, 04:53 PM
LOL that was the point!

I know, but I hadn't thought of weighing the two against each other. Just giving props on the OP

Genaro
05-22-2015, 05:03 PM
I will wait until I see what Okafor can do in the NBA before I can answer. Okafor is already great offensively and has the tools to be a good defender. Gobert is a great defender who needs to work on his offense.

PJR
05-22-2015, 05:07 PM
It's close, but I'll take Hassan Whiteside.

GOBB
05-22-2015, 05:26 PM
It's close, but I'll take Hassan Whiteside.

A guy who can't pass? Solid. I like my bigs to be able to pass the rock.

Human Error
05-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I would go with Gobert who is already an elite rim protector. Okafor will be a better version of Al Jefferson, if you already have a player like Gobert on your team you could go with Okafor.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-22-2015, 06:18 PM
:biggums:

Different players. Okafor plays in the post and under the basket, he can't shoot all that well..

and he has a 7-5 wing span, good enough to at least be average on defense, need to see him play against NBA competition to determine that first.

Probably means in terms of impact.

ILLsmak
05-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I would go with Gobert who is already an elite rim protector. Okafor will be a better version of Al Jefferson, if you already have a player like Gobert on your team you could go with Okafor.

I think we dunno what, assuming he is a better jefferson, that would be. I mean if he's like a 25 30 ppg post big who can draw fouls and make good passes... That's an all nba first level guy. Even if he's not a huge reb or defender.

I personally don't think he's gonna be like big al. He may end up with similar stats but just do it differently. They are both gifted in post, but okafor is different. I think okafor is also more able to draw fouls which is huge.

--Smak

Fallen Angel
05-22-2015, 08:01 PM
2013-2014 Rudy Gobert is the perfect center for Houston. I don't care if Okafor turns into Brook Lopez, it's about fit and Gobert fits within our style defensively and his ability to roll to the rim and set screens.

boozehound
05-22-2015, 08:34 PM
I see Okafor as basically a better version (potentially) of greg monroe. Not sure how useful that is

boozehound
05-22-2015, 09:45 PM

people always say this. When is the last time a poor to average college defender came in and improved vastly? I cannot think of one. My understanding of the various projections is that things like rebounding and blocks project to the pro level better than offensive stats.