PDA

View Full Version : More rare for a PG: MVP or leading team to Finals?

L.Kizzle
05-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Both feats are ultra rare, but looks like Steph Curry is about to accomplish both in the same season.

Droid101
05-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Both feats are ultra rare, but looks like Steph Curry is about to accomplish both in the same season.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qacqf7SJMDg/VN44Ul6HnkI/AAAAAAAAthA/kEKwQye6pZQ/w350-h183-no/tumblr_inline_nbat9kBEXc1satqni.gif

navy
05-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Already put Curry in my top 5 point guard list

warriorfan
05-24-2015, 12:27 AM
He's destroying the narrative that your best player can't be your point guard in order to have great team success.

That narrative still holds weight I believe, I think it speaks more on how special Steph Curry is.

Straight_Ballin
05-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Are we gonna pretend that his dad wasn't Dell Curry? Gee, I wonder why we are witnessing what we are?:lol

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 12:31 AM
He's destroying the narrative that your best player can't be your point guard in order to have great team success.

That narrative still holds weight I believe, I think it speaks more on how special Steph Curry is.

And it's because the game has never seen a guy like him before. Most all-time great shooters work off of others but he is not only the GOAT shooter ever but he also has off the charts handles to create his own shot and create for others.

bluechox2
05-24-2015, 12:32 AM
rule changes paved the way for this point guard dominated league...knicks unfortunately never got the memo, but they did have linsanity for half a year

DonDadda59
05-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Do you consider Bron to be the PG of his teams? He is for all intent and purpose. Who else handles the ball, makes playmaking decisions, etc in the LeBron ball system?

Nash had B2B MVPs, Rose won, Iverson played a lot of PG (but not technically when he won MVP and took Philly to the finals) then you'd have to go back to Magic the last time that happened.

And it's because the game has never seen a guy like him before. Most all-time great shooters work off of others but he is not only the GOAT shooter ever but he also has off the charts handles to create his own shot and create for others.

Mark Price.

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Do you consider Bron to be the PG of his teams? He is for all intent and purpose. Who else handles the ball, makes playmaking decisions, etc in the LeBron ball system?

Nash had B2B MVPs, Rose won, Iverson played a lot of PG (but not technically when he won MVP and took Philly to the finals) then you'd have to go back to Magic the last time that happened.

Mark Price.

Price didn't have Curry's off the charts handles. Price was more of a one cut, drive guard. He didn't have Curry's creativity to break down defenses in so many ways.

warriorfan
05-24-2015, 12:43 AM

Mark Price.

Besides Bron the only guy you mentioned that made it to the finals is Iverson. And I think it's safe to assume that we don't label both of those guys as true point guards. That is what OP was getting at.

DonDadda59
05-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Price didn't have Curry's off the charts handles. Price was more of a one cut, drive guard. He didn't have Curry's creativity to break down defenses in so many ways.

Bruh (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo) :biggums:

Besides Bron the only guy you mentioned that made it to the finals is Iverson. And I think it's safe to assume that we don't label both of those guys as true point guards. That is what OP was getting at.

What makes Curry more of a PG than Iverson? Both guys are shoot first players.

kamil
05-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Isaih Thomas was finals MVP in 1990.... anyone know if he deserved regular season MVP award that year?

Young X
05-24-2015, 12:51 AM
Besides Bron the only guy you mentioned that made it to the finals is Iverson. And I think it's safe to assume that we don't label both of those guys as true point guards. That is what OP was getting at.Why not? Bron plays more like a PG than Curry.

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 12:52 AM

Please. Curry's highlights this season alone is more impressive. I said there was no one more creativity off the dribble. Price could break down defenses but a lot of them were of the plant and explode variety. Curry has the handles to shake you and make you look silly and go any way he wants.

kamil

I'd give Price's daughter a go;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxsjfSwCQAAgDmW.jpg

Heavincent
Why not? Bron plays more like a PG than Curry.

I wouldn't say that. Curry is a pure PG who just happens to also be one of the best scorers.

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Isaih Thomas was finals MVP in 1990.... anyone know if he deserved regular season MVP award that year?

No he didn't. It was the Magic, MJ and Barkley era in terms of who was fighting for MVPs.

kamil
05-24-2015, 12:56 AM
No he didn't. It was the Magic, MJ and Barkley era in terms of who was fighting for MVPs.

Hard to imagine him being favored over MJ any year for MVP award.. but then again, Karl Malone got it somehow.

Droid101
05-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Uh.... I'm a fan of Mark Price, but give me a ****ing break. Not even in the same universe as Curry.

DonDadda59
05-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Please. Curry's highlights this season alone is more impressive. I said there was no one more creativity off the dribble. Price could break down defenses but a lot of them were of the plant and explode variety. Curry has the handles to shake you and make you look silly and go any way he wants.

So did Price (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1nhKT7DdQ)

And Iverson, and Tim Hardaway, and Steve Francis, and Stephon Marbury, and Jason Williams, etc and so on.

Curry's not doing anything unseen before in terms of ball-handling.

Heavincent
05-24-2015, 01:00 AM
So did Price (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1nhKT7DdQ)

And Iverson, and Tim Hardaway, and Steve Francis, and Stephon Marbury, and Jason Williams, etc and so on.

Curry's not doing anything unseen before in terms of ball-handling.

His mix of ball handling and shooting is unheard of. Price and Nash are the next closest, but they aren't Steph Curry.

L.Kizzle
05-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Old school cats like Tiny Archibald and Dave Bing maybe similar to Steph with the ball handling and shooting (Bing more so than Tiny.)

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Hard to imagine him being favored over MJ any year for MVP award.. but then again, Karl Malone got it somehow.

I thought Barkley was the clear MVP in 1990 but Magic was sort of on a roll for a few years and they gave him the award again. One of the closest mvp votings ever. Barkley actually had more first place votes (37) than Magic (28).

Malone winning is just a case of voters being tired of giving to MJ every year.

Young X
05-24-2015, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't say that. Curry is a pure PG who just happens to also be one of the best scorers.He's a ridiculous shot maker with PG skills but he doesn't play that much like a PG. Neither does Westbrook, Kyrie or Lillard. Bron yesterday against the Hawks played more like a PG than Curry in any of his games this postseason.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-24-2015, 01:04 AM
I don't know. Nash got to be what? Top 5 shooter. Maybe the best based on percentages. And he's up there as a ball handler, too, just not as flashy as Steph.

DonDadda59
05-24-2015, 01:04 AM
He's a ridiculous shot maker with PG skills but he doesn't play that much like a PG. Neither does Westbrook, Kyrie or Lillard. Bron yesterday against the Hawks played more like a PG than Curry in any of his games this postseason.

Yeah, that's why I asked about Bron... he plays more like a pure PG than Curry. He's basically HGH Magic Johnson.

Heavincent
05-24-2015, 01:05 AM
He's a ridiculous shot maker with PG skills but he doesn't play that much like a PG. Neither does Westbrook, Kyrie or Lillard. Bron yesterday against the Hawks played more like a PG than Curry in any of his games this postseason.

I completely disagree when people put Curry in the same tier as Irving, Lillard, and Westbrook. Curry doesn't force up shots and stop the ball like those guys. He lets the offense flow naturally unless he has to take over.

ClipperRevival
05-24-2015, 01:06 AM
His mix of ball handling and shooting is unheard of. Price and Nash are the next closest, but they aren't Steph Curry.

Yup. It's the deadly combo of both skills that make him special. I have never seen a guy quite like him.

warriorfan
05-24-2015, 01:09 AM

What makes Curry more of a PG than Iverson? Both guys are shoot first players.

I wouldn't exactly call Curry shoot first. He is similar to Iverson that he is a scoring point guard but he isn't to the extent as Iverson was.

During Iverson's Finals run he had an AST% 29.1% with a USG% of 36.8%

Steph Curry during this playoff run has AST% 38.6% with a USG% of 29.8%

So basically he is assisting more players while dominating the ball less. This makes me consider him more of a PG than Iverson.

Young X
05-24-2015, 01:26 AM
I completely disagree when people put Curry in the same tier as Irving, Lillard, and Westbrook. Curry doesn't force up shots and stop the ball like those guys. He lets the offense flow naturally unless he has to take over.Which is part of the reason why he's more effective than them. None these guys are floor generals though, none of them instinctively are trying to set the table for their teams. Curry's game revolves around his incredible ability to make shots, the rare times when his shots aren't falling he looks nothing like a PG. James Harden in game 2 was more of a PG than Curry.

Jacks3
05-24-2015, 01:29 AM
curry not being a traditional pass-first ball-dominant PG is a good thing. it's just further proof that a dominant super-high volume scorer who is fully capable of killing teams on and off the ball is easier to win with and harder to gameplan against than a nash or cp3.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-24-2015, 01:37 AM
Curry definitely forces shots. Don't even need to get out of the playoffs to find a game where he wouldn't stop chucking (that comeback against the Pelicans). The two main differences are: Curry is probably the GOAT shooter and Gentry's offense. You can get away with a lot when you can make heavily contested, pull up, 35 footers like an corner 3 and Curry (and definitely the entire Warriors team) is benefitting from this new offense they are running. Especially guys like Green and Barnes, but the stars are getting more open shots with better spacing, too.

buddha
05-24-2015, 01:40 AM
if the Thunder were healthy and in the playoffs they'd be in the finals.

bballnoob1192
05-24-2015, 02:10 AM
rule changes paved the way for this point guard dominated league...knicks unfortunately never got the memo, but they did have linsanity for half a year
what PG dominated league u idiot?
once again PGs have the lowest impact on a basketball game. accept it already. curry is just a unique player.

just look at the the nba after magic/isiah? who won the chips and how many had the PG as their best player?