PDA

View Full Version : OT: Study finds internet trolls are sociopaths

The_Pharcyde
05-25-2015, 02:54 PM
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

Study says Internet Trolls are sadistic sociopaths
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists
that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Some Canadian researchers decided to find out.

They conducted two online studies with over 1,200 people, giving personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their Internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the "Dark Tetrad" of personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.

They found that Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity. To get an idea of how much more prevalent these traits were among Internet trolls, see this figure from the paper:

Look at how low the Dark Tetrad scores are for everyone except the trolls! Their scores for all four traits soar on the chart. The relationship between trolling and the Dark Tetrad is so significant that the authors write in their paper:

"... the associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists." [emphasis added]

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article): "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

These trolls are some truly difficult people.
It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

So just ignore them on here guys... Obviously something is up with them

Trollsmasher
05-25-2015, 02:54 PM
that concludes with the assesment of my psychologist

no surprise here

Magic 32
05-25-2015, 02:57 PM
"Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response. "

Well, that would exclude just about anyone on this forum.

oarabbus
05-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Tl;dr: ISH is a digital mental asylum

Ca$H
05-25-2015, 03:02 PM
LOL. They could get a ton of research done by doing a study on ISH. :roll:

kennethgriffin
05-25-2015, 03:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 03:03 PM
And they needed a study to figure this out? #CaptainObvious

sd3035
05-25-2015, 03:06 PM
breaking news: fat people are often hungry

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 03:08 PM
In other news, water is confirmed to be wet during a recent study.

JZ600
05-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Can someone post a list of trolls here so I can add them to my ignore
Please
Too many retarded kobe and lebron stans here

RoundMoundOfReb
05-25-2015, 03:59 PM
so pretty much everyone on this forum is a sociopath? I highly doubt that...it's all in good fun.

ISHGoat
05-25-2015, 04:00 PM
so pretty much everyone on this forum is a sociopath? I highly doubt that...it's all in good fun.

there are legit sociopaths on here tho like 3ball and kenneth

RoundMoundOfReb
05-25-2015, 04:02 PM
I could see that. Those guys make no attempt to be funny. I think that's the difference.

Akrazotile
05-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Ive had some issues with being a target for online stalking before. Someone was trying to dig up my personal info. Phone number, bank account, other online ID's etc.

Cops told me not to engage the person and if it starte getting too close to home to notify authorities and they can easily trace everything hes done and find his location.

Its sad these people are out there, but hey, its always been part of life. Nowadays with cameras people have taken their vices from empty alleys and lonely highways, to the internet, where they think they remain anonymous.

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Well, statistics would say that there are indeed sociopaths on this forum. However, I don't think 3ball is one of them.

3ball is just a harmless Jordan stan that recycles old Jordan footage to disprove why any modern player can be considered an all time great.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Yeah, this study is bogus. It's a testament to how low I.Q. levels are here that so many cosigned it without so much as a second guess.

ISHGoat
05-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Well, statistics would say that there are indeed sociopaths on this forum. However, I don't think 3ball is one of them.

3ball is just a harmless Jordan stan that recycles old Jordan footage to disprove why any modern player can be considered an all time great.

every time he posts, you already know what he's gonna post about before you read it. same for kenneth. definition of worthless trolls to me.

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 04:16 PM
every time he posts, you already know what he's gonna post about before you read it. same for kenneth. definition of worthless trolls to me.
The "study" doesn't take into account the users that pretend to be trolls.

ISHGoat
05-25-2015, 04:19 PM

i guess those guys arent real trolls like dubeta, fudge, and co. who posts solely to upset people :lol

those guys are just terrible posters lol

sd3035
05-25-2015, 04:20 PM

I agree, people who may be classified as trolls are often people who just make jokes all the time. Those people are far from sociopaths

ImKobe
05-25-2015, 04:21 PM
i guess those guys arent real trolls like dubeta, fudge, and co. who posts solely to upset people :lol

those guys are just terrible posters lol

terrible posters make this forum funny doe

if everyone got along and no ether was passed around, this site would suck

Jameerthefear
05-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Ive had some issues with being a target for online stalking before. Someone was trying to dig up my personal info. Phone number, bank account, other online ID's etc.

Cops told me not to engage the person and if it starte getting too close to home to notify authorities and they can easily trace everything hes done and find his location.

Its sad these people are out there, but hey, its always been part of life. Nowadays with cameras people have taken their vices from empty alleys and lonely highways, to the internet, where they think they remain anonymous.
i've gotten death threats before :roll:

ISHGoat
05-25-2015, 04:25 PM
terrible posters make this forum funny doe

if everyone got along and no ether was passed around, this site would suck

funny/versatile posters make this forum funny. we dont need idiots going into every thread, regardless of the topic at hand, and derailing it by posting the same shit coated agenda you know they are going to post every time.

a lot of the people here dont even dislike kobe, lebron, wilt, euroleague, etc. however, due to the insane amount of agenda pushing by a handful of idiots, posters feel the need to "defend their boy" and push back with an agenda.

what you are left with is a forum that resembles a blood vs crip war zone lol

SexSymbol
05-25-2015, 04:27 PM
I'd say trolls are homos.
Where is your god now

sd3035
05-25-2015, 04:30 PM
I'd say trolls are homos.
Where is your god now

:roll:

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Mathematics is scary.

Going by the math, someone on this forum will get murdered, get cancer, be a sociopath, commit suicide, etc.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Straight_Ballin
05-25-2015, 04:37 PM

No, he just posts facts about Jordan which causes the bran stans and Kobe tards deal with reality. I was watching Bron in the HS McDonalds all American game before any of these stand even heard of him.

Now if you want to argue that the only bad thing about fvcking a vegetable is putting her back in the wheelchair, I'm not going to debate you on it....

Foster5k
05-25-2015, 04:38 PM
No, he just posts facts about Jordan which causes the bran stans and Kobe tards deal with reality.
Wow! Someone that agrees with 3ball.

I think we've found our sociopath. :D

ISHGoat
05-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Wow! Someone that agrees with 3ball.

I think we've found our sociopath. :D

more like we've found 3ball's alt

Jameerthefear
05-25-2015, 04:43 PM
No, he just posts facts about Jordan which causes the bran stans and Kobe tards deal with reality. I was watching Bron in the HS McDonalds all American game before any of these stand even heard of him.

Now if you want to argue that the only bad thing about fvcking a vegetable is putting her back in the wheelchair, I'm not going to debate you on it....
a lot of ppl were. lebron was the most popular highschool player ever. ur not special.

Akrazotile
05-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Yeah, trolling for the purpose of topical humor is different from anonymously making fun of people whove recently lost loved ones, attacking people personally etc, which I think is the sort of trolling the study refers to.

Humorous trolling is the predominant kind on ISH, altho I know for sure there is at least one sociopath. Which is too bad cause hes probably a decent, funny dude, just has some issues he decided to vent via internet anonymity.

sd3035
05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
http://s7.postimg.org/tt2d1h5nv/background.jpg

Hey do you still think I'm that guy? :roll:

Lebron23
05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Hey do you still think I'm that guy? :roll:

Guilty!!!

kamil
05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
LOL. They could get a ton of research done by doing a study on ISH. :roll:

Try youtube comments... or worse yet, 4chan; that place is riddled with sociopathic losers.

SexSymbol
05-25-2015, 05:02 PM
http://s7.postimg.org/tt2d1h5nv/background.jpg
It's pathetic to bring up personal photos to insult a man on an anonymous message board. Especially considering you're a midget with no bball skills...

SexSymbol
05-25-2015, 05:08 PM
I am still taller than you, and better in basketball. You are an ugly looking Asian Mongoloid who's lying and pretending in this forum. You are a F*cking poser D1p$hit.

Putang Ina mo. I know you clearly understand that Language.
Putang Ina Mo sound like your mom's name at best to me.
Shit, if I were an asian, I would at least not be from the shitty phillipines. Go back to rooting for philipinian teams like rain or shine elastic painters or talk and texters or whatever those ****s are called.
You're talking with a pure aryan, fella, I'd suggest you watch your tongue, or I'll conquer your lands with my magnificence

sd3035
05-25-2015, 05:10 PM
I am still taller than you, and better in basketball. You are an ugly looking Asian Mongoloid who's lying and pretending in this forum. You are a F*cking poser D1p$hit.

Putang Ina mo. I know you clearly understand that Language.

Aren't you a little Asian guy? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sd3035
05-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Putang Ina Mo sound like your mom's name at best to me.
Shit, if I were an asian, I would at least not be from the shitty phillipines. Go back to rooting for philipinian teams like rain or shine elastic painters or talk and texters or whatever those ****s are called.
You're talking with a pure aryan, fella, I'd suggest you watch your tongue, or I'll conquer your lands with my magnificence

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lebron23
05-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Aren't you a little Asian guy? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You aren't even 5'7 Simon. And you are a P*ssy for deleting all of your pictures on facebook.

PS:

You cannot even deactivate your account. What planet are you from??

SexSymbol
05-25-2015, 05:16 PM
LMAO at this clown. I beat your sociopath @$$ in real life. I am going to make you whiter than snow after I put you in a coma.

This ugly looking Filipino pretending than you are from Lithuania. Mahiya ka naman sa balat mo. Putarages ka. My dick is whiter than your whole face and body.
I didn't know the smallest thing known to mankind was whiter than my face and body. Thanks for the info.

sd3035
05-25-2015, 05:17 PM
You aren't even 5'7 Simon. And you are a P*ssy for deleting all of your pictures on facebook.

PS:

You cannot even deactivate your account. What planet are you from??

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This thread is gold

Who is supposed to be Simon anyways? Russwest, Budadi, or Fudge?

oarabbus
05-25-2015, 05:19 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

This thread is gold

Who is supposed to be Simon anyways? Russwest, Budadi, or Fudge?

I think Russwest and Budaddi. Or are they the same? I don't even know at this point. Kinda proves the point of the topic :roll:

warriorfan
05-25-2015, 05:29 PM

So just ignore them on here guys... Obviously something is up with them

deal with it

iDunkOreo
05-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Question: Why would someone who can't play play basketball frequent a basketball forum? Nerds, manlets, fatties, why are you even on here?

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 06:58 PM
I have identified numerous psychopaths on this forum and called them just that here in posts. Yet whenever I did that, I was then called a "liar, troll, nutcase, lunatic, homer, insane" etc., etc.

The forum is full of psychopathic trolls. But if you dare to point them out, you immediately get attacked by all of the moron sycophant ass kissers that are just always trying to kiss the asses of psychopaths.

In other words, the kinds of people that will film someone attacking someone else in a mob with a tire iron and post it on the internet, because it seemed cool, since everyone else was doing it (cheering it on), and they did not want the bully (the psychopath) to pick on them instead.

Basically, mob mentality rules. And without any doubt, several of the mods here are clear cut psychopaths.

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:02 PM

They throw around the sociopath term wrong all the time. I've only seen one sociopath here in this forum for example.

But I've seen probably into the dozens of psychopaths in the forum. There are tons and tons of people out there that are psychopaths. But very few people that are sociopaths. For whatever reason, it's the cool thing now for psychiatrists and psychologists to always switch the two when they refer to them.

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:06 PM

Neither one of them is a sociopath.

YouGotServed
05-25-2015, 07:07 PM
I have identified numerous psychopaths on this forum and called them just that here in posts. Yet whenever I did that, I was then called a "liar, troll, nutcase, lunatic, homer, insane" etc,. etc.

The forum is full of psychopathic trolls. But if you dare to point them out, you immediately get attacked by all of the moron sycophant ass kissers that are just always trying to kiss the asses of psychopaths.

In other words, the kinds of people that will film someone attacking someone else in a mob with a tire iron and post it on the internet, because it seemed cool, since everyone else was doing it (cheering it on), and they did not want the bully (the psychopath) to pick on them instead.

Basically, mob mentality rules. And without any doubt, several of the mods here are clear cut psychopaths.

Have you identified yourself?

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Yeah, this study is bogus. It's a testament to how low I.Q. levels are here that so many cosigned it without so much as a second guess.

The study is actually correct. They simply switch the terms psychopath and sociopath. That's the in thing now in the mental health field.

Actually, depending on how you look at it, you could say that 50% of all men are psychopaths and 30% of all women are psychopaths.

That's what they mean.

It just sounds sexier to use the term "sociopath", since very few people out there are actually one of those.

sd3035
05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
They throw around the sociopath term wrong all the time. I've only seen one sociopath here in this forum for example.

But I've seen probably into the dozens of psychopaths in the forum. There are tons and tons of people out there that are psychopaths. But very few people that are sociopaths. For whatever reason, it's the cool thing now for psychiatrists and psychologists to always switch the two when they refer to them.

lol who's the lucky character on this forum?

warriorfan
05-25-2015, 07:14 PM
sociopaths are alphas and stay winning

deal with it

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:20 PM
sociopaths are alphas and stay winning

deal with it

Psychopaths are usually more likely to be alphas. A sociopath can be an alpha, but it is not something that is a definite trait or characteristic of their personality, like it is with a psychopath.

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:24 PM
lol who's the lucky character on this forum?

Rather not say. But I'm sure I'm the only person here that has identified them.

Bandito
05-25-2015, 07:25 PM

What happened to that guy anyways?

oarabbus
05-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Question: Why would someone who can't play play basketball frequent a basketball forum? Nerds, manlets, fatties, why are you even on here?

So you tryna say Earl Boykins, or Nate Robinson shouldn't post here :coleman:

sd3035
05-25-2015, 07:32 PM

I find basketball tremendously boring to play but I like watching it

Fans are what keep sports alive

Euroleague
05-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Have you identified yourself?

Actually, I have taken psychological and personality tests.....I scored in the extreme upper percentile on both.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Both terms are dicey, but I can name at least 2-3 posters (that I know of) who meet both requirements.

They've been exposed countless times and run deep in the alt game. I literally cringe thinking about their day to day "activities".

Doranku
05-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Actually, I have taken psychological and personality tests.....I scored in the extreme upper percentile on both.

Must be graded on craziness.

jstern
05-25-2015, 07:46 PM
It makes sense to me that internet trolls are sociopaths, but I think there's a difference with those internet trolls, and being an obsessive fanboy.

A fanboy will obsesses with a player and ignore all their flaws. While a sociopaths is doing multiple things just for the sake of pissing others off. And you see those kinds of people more in other parts of the internet that deal with multiple topics and not just basketball.

Fudge
05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Crazy, weird, pathetic bastards.

****ing odd how all LeBron stans on this board fit the bill. :yaohappy:

iDunkOreo
05-25-2015, 08:41 PM
I find basketball tremendously boring to play but I like watching it

Fans are what keep sports alive

I've just always wondered why someone who can't play a sport in any capacity would enjoy the sport enough to go on a basketball forum. I like soccer, and although I suck at it technically, I can still play. Dunno, was honestly wondering