PDA

View Full Version : is it arguable that Tristan Thompson has helped the Cavs more than K. Love ever did?

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:39 AM
and the combo of Jr smith and Shumpert combined with thompson have increased the cavs overall defense

and so far jr smith is just as good as kyrie at nailing threes ( which is all kyrie did ) asside from drive in for layups ( which lebron does better anyway )

and lebron at PG is better than flashy kyrie's dribbles/hogging

the cavs are a better all around defensive/rebounding/cohesive team without kyrie and love

its more suited for playoff basketball... kyrie and love are soft.

bobeticus
05-26-2015, 12:40 AM
and the combo of Jr smith and Shumpert combined with thompson have increased the cavs overall defense

and so far jr smith is just as good as kyrie at nailing threes ( which is all kyrie did ) asside from drive in for layups ( which lebron does better anyway )

the cavs are a better all around defensive/rebounding/cohesive team without kyrie and love

thanks for mentioning my boy TT "The Worm" :rockon: :rockon:

Kvnzhangyay
05-26-2015, 12:41 AM

and lebron at PG is better than flashy kyrie's dribbles/hogging

:biggums:

Rest is true though, minus everything about Kyrie

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:44 AM
:biggums:

Rest is true though, minus everything about Kyrie

kyrie is a great player. but he just takes away from lebrons playmaking and layups ( which lebron is better at )

seriously. kyrie and love are great. but thompson is an even more valuable piece to this team than either guy

his rebounding and defense gives them way more of a positive

he deserves a max contract... 2nd coming of rodman

yeaaaman
05-26-2015, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure how many other people caught it but it was interesting when JVG said if both guys are re-signed that he thinks TT would be the starter, and that he brings a level of toughness Love doesn't. I'm not sure how that's going to work next year.

bobeticus
05-26-2015, 12:46 AM
i beg to disagree kenneth... There is only one Worm and that is Rodman...

can we call him the Caterpillar :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

Kvnzhangyay
05-26-2015, 12:48 AM
kyrie is a great player. but he just takes away from lebrons playmaking and layups ( which lebron is better at )

seriously. kyrie and love are great. but thompson is an even more valuable piece to this team than either guy

thing is kyrie takes some of the load off of Lebron, and can be used as a "safety valve" to help cushion the impact that is missing when lebron is off his game or not playing

navy
05-26-2015, 12:48 AM
Tristan Thompson starts at powerfoward, but just like in the regular season Blatt uses him as a center. He hasnt really replaced Love all that much. I guess you could argue the Cavs are better without him on the floor at all defensively.

Kyrie was known for his big games and clutch play. Something Delly cant do. Also the Cavs have no real playmakers outside of Lebron. Everyone else on the team can shoot but Kyrie can take over games consistently. When Lebron is one the bench they are quite limited in playmakers.

FreezingTsmoove
05-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Obviously but thats only because we never got a chance to see what kevin love could do in the playoffs.......

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:50 AM
i beg to disagree kenneth... There is only one Worm and that is Rodman...

can we call him the Caterpillar :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

how about "the Slurm"

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/5789581/large.jpg

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how many other people caught it but it was interesting when JVG said if both guys are re-signed that he thinks TT would be the starter, and that he brings a level of toughness Love doesn't. I'm not sure how that's going to work next year.
There's no way Love doesn't start. TT is a bench guy, but he still gets good minutes because they can play small with TT at C, and Love at PF. They were doing this quite a bit in the first round, and Love got a lot of huge clutch shots.

Cavs offensive numbers were off the chart when Love was on the floor. Even in the playoffs, they were +13.8 with KLove on the floor. Ridiculous.

TT is great though, but Blatt's late game closing lineup will have KLove and TT in it more often than not

Alamо
05-26-2015, 12:52 AM
TT is a hustle player. Hustle players along with 3 and D guys are in right now

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:52 AM
There's no way Love doesn't start. TT is a bench guy, but he still gets good minutes because they can play small with TT at C, and Love at PF. They were doing this quite a bit in the first round, and Love got a lot of huge clutch shots.

Cavs offensive numbers were off the chart when Love was on the floor. Even in the playoffs, they were +13.8 with KLove on the floor. Ridiculous.

TT is great though, but Blatt's late game closing lineup will have KLove and TT in it more often than not

thompson has had more of a positive effect in just the last month than love had all season

and he fits in with lebron

besides... loves gone. no way the cavs can pay both of these guys max money

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 12:53 AM
TT has been great, but still think KLove is a huge factor for them stretching the Bulls series and it being so competitive rather than 4-1 or even a sweep. TT provides huge interior presence, but he also clogs the lane for an attacking Lebron, which is more needed than a jump-shooter Lebron, and this is where KLove's valu trumps TT ten-fold.

He can get u the boards n put backs to a very good degree, but also kills you from the arc and draws his defender away from the paint

JtotheIzzo
05-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Love is better than Tristan for 82 games (and it pains me to say this as a Basketball Canada homer) but Tristan is more useful in the playoffs because he brings all the intangibles and doesn't rock the boat. Guys like this allow others to be great.
I always thought part of the reason that LeBron went after Love was because he didn't want another Miami situation where he played a lot of four, so he wanted to stack Cleveland at the positon and having Wiggins sans Love would increase the likelihood of Bran at the 4 during small ball.
Had we known Thompson would be such a playoff stud, I think they would have kept Wiggins, and just imagine the length and speed on the floor for the Cavs.

Yikes

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:54 AM
i aint gonna lie... i'd rather the lakers sign thompson than love

so that means tristan thompson is better than kevin love.. period

empty stats aint shit to me.. and love doesnt even have those anymore

warriorfan
05-26-2015, 12:57 AM
kevin love was only a good rebounder in MIN when he would stat pad when the game was so far out of reach that no one would be trying anymore

kevin love getting his double double game streak broken @ Oakland was so hilarious...dude was pouting like a baby and trying to wrestle boards from his team mates...it was some of the most embarrassing shit

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Love is better than Tristan for 82 games (and it pains me to say this as a Basketball Canada homer) but Tristan is more useful in the playoffs because he brings all the intangibles and doesn't rock the boat. Guys like this allow others to be great.
I always thought part of the reason that LeBron went after Love was because he didn't want another Miami situation where he played a lot of four, so he wanted to stack Cleveland at the positon and having Wiggins sans Love would increase the likelihood of Bran at the 4 during small ball.
Had we known Thompson would be such a playoff stud, I think they would have kept Wiggins, and just imagine the length and speed on the floor for the Cavs.

Yikes

and now thanks to lebrons insecurities.. wiggins/towns will rule the nba in 5-6 years

might be the next kobe/shaq

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 12:59 AM

Yikes

Keeping wiggins would of resulted in Lebron at the 4 anyways, it wouldn't be as u fathom over Wiggins and his speed/length presence to the Cavs, they are a far worse team:

Varejao
Lebron
Wiggins
Waiters
Irving

This team doesn't beat the Bulls

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:06 AM
Keeping wiggins would of resulted in Lebron at the 4 anyways, it wouldn't be as u fathom over Wiggins and his speed/length presence to the Cavs, they are a far worse team:

Varejao
Lebron
Wiggins
Waiters
Irving

This team doesn't beat the Bulls

lol wiggins would have come off the bench and replaced waiters sooner or later

you dont start a rookie on a team with championship aspirations

kamil
05-26-2015, 01:07 AM
We'll see how he does against a team that isn't from the LeEast.

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:10 AM
We'll see how he does against a team that isn't from the LeEast.

with love instead of thompson getting all the minutes. who knows if the cavs would have made it to the finals..

their defense/rebounding is the difference in every game

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 01:11 AM
lol wiggins would have come off the bench and replaced waiters sooner or later

you dont start a rookie on a team with championship aspirations

But he plays 2 for Waiters but not be able to run the SF? :rolleyes: that team is small ball only, and exactly why Wiggins is in at SF and Lebron at the 4. It's not as good a team as with KLove

I do aggre on the rookie n champion aspirations...Cleveland are in win-now mode, no time to hope Wiggins develops while Lebron's best player in the world years go by.

The deal for KLove was the right move, and it became an even more impressive team with the Trade for Moz, Smoove n Shump

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 01:13 AM
with love instead of thompson getting all the minutes. who knows if the cavs would have made it to the finals..

their defense/rebounding is the difference in every game

With KLove, they have a really good chance to win the finals...without him, they DO NOT.

bdreason
05-26-2015, 01:17 AM
The team has been infinitely better defensively without Irving and Love. At least from the eye test... I haven't looked at the numbers.

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 01:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0uphj31.png

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:21 AM
With KLove, they have a really good chance to win the finals...without him, they DO NOT.

i dont think you watched basketball before

kevin loves stretch 4 three pointers have about 1/10th the impact that thompsons defense/rebounding has

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0uphj31.png

analytics

:lol

and i bet thats from the regular season too...

the hawks by the analytic standpoint are one of the greatest teams ever i bet

:roll:

playoffs are different.

there isnt a single cavs fan with a brain that would swap thompson right now with a healthy k.love

navy
05-26-2015, 01:26 AM

kevin loves stretch 4 three pointers have about 1/10th the impact that thompsons defense/rebounding has
Like I said, since Blatt uses Thompson as a center, they would have both at the same time. :confusedshrug:

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 01:27 AM
analytics

:lol

and i bet thats from the regular season too...

the hawks by the analytic standpoint are one of the greatest teams ever i bet

:roll:

playoffs are different.
During the playoffs, Kevin Love was +13.8, the highest of anyone on the Cavs.

Plus you're acting like TT and Love won't play together. They did that a lot of the first round and it was successful.

r15mohd

Right :rolleyes: that explains the Cavs becoming a force after the all-star break and looking overly impressive with both KLove and Irving alongside Lebron, while TT still came off the bench and provided serviceable minutes to execute wins.

Not to mention a lineup of KLove, TT, Lebron, Smith/Shump, Irving being pretty deadly to any opposition if it needed to come to that.

J Shuttlesworth
Like I said, since Blatt uses Thompson as a center, they would have both at the same time. :confusedshrug:
Somehow he's not able to get through his little head :lol

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:30 AM
Somehow he's not able to get through his little head :lol

question for your little head

was thompson getting as many minutes and starting/playing at key moments when love was healthy?

i'm pretty sure it took the kevin love injury to realize thompsons potential and have his impact realized

hindsight is 20/20

navy
05-26-2015, 01:34 AM

was thompson getting as many minutes and starting/playing at key moments when love was healthy?

i'm pretty sure it took the kevin love injury to realize thompsons potential and have his impact realized

hindsight is 20/20

Yes, go back and watch the games. Blatt has been using Thompson at center all season and finishing games with him there.

He wasnt starting, but starting Mozgov and Thompson together doesnt work offensively. Which is why Blatt never plays the two together after the start of the first and third. That's just minute filler.

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 01:40 AM

hindsight is 20/20

TT played 26 mins... Avg 8 boards n 9pts off the bench
TT starting in the playoffs...35mins, 10 boards and 8-9pts.

KLove was also putting up 16/10 as a starter with TT off the bench too. So the overall production of both TT/Love is significantly better than not trading for Love on the whole.

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:41 AM
Yes, go back and watch the games. Blatt has been using Thompson at center all season and finishing games with him there.

He wasnt starting, but starting Mozgov and Thompson together doesnt work offensively. Which is why Blatt never plays the two together after the start of the first and third. That's just minute filler.

tristan thompson regular season MPG = 26

tristan thompson MPG since love went out = 39

i'm going to bed....

navy
05-26-2015, 01:45 AM

i'm going to bed....
That changes nothing from what I said. The difference in minutes is that he starts now. But that doesnt mean he didnt finish as center in the regular season or now like he does in the playoffs. His game isnt predicated on minutes or rhythm.

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 01:48 AM

i'm going to bed....
4th quarter:

Kevin Love: 7.1 minutes
Tristan Thompson: 7.9

You know, for someone always talking about "eye test", you should try using it.

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 01:53 AM
4th quarter:

Kevin Love: 7.1 minutes
Tristan Thompson: 7.9

You know, for someone always talking about "eye test", you should try using it.

13 more mpg with love out = 13 more mpg of elite defense/rebounding/positioning insted of having that 13 mpg spent on the bench watching love jack up threes

you obviously don't understand how the playoffs are about toughness

love is as soft as the name on the back of his jersey

hes an empty stat piece of sh*t

if you havent figured this out yet after how many years. there might not be any hope for you as a nutsucking lebald stan

glad youre not in charge of the cavs front office... cause theyed be retarded not to invest loves money into thompson.

let that scrub walk

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 01:54 AM
13 more mpg with love out = 13 more mpg of elite defense/rebounding/positioning insted of having that 13 mpg spent on the bench watching love jack up threes

you obviously don't understand how the playoffs are about toughness

love is as soft as the name on the back of his jersey

hes an empty stat piece of sh*t

if you havent figured this out yet after how many years. there might not be any hope for you as a nutsucking lebald stan

glad youre not in charge of the cavs front office... cause theyed be retarded not to invest loves money into thompson.

let that scrub walk
The Cavs were the best offense in the league when LeBron was healthy, and Love was in the lineup. It's simple as that. Their closing lineup early in the playoffs with Love/TT was their most effective lineup of the playoffs.

kennethgriffin
05-26-2015, 03:02 AM
The Cavs were the best offense in the league when LeBron was healthy, and Love was in the lineup. It's simple as that. Their closing lineup early in the playoffs with Love/TT was their most effective lineup of the playoffs.

Its as simple as this

You want lebron to win without any great help and missing more important players

But youre insecurities wont allow you to realize that loves stretch 4 three point shooting and the teams offensive rating doesnt translate into playoff success

Big men who are offensive rebounding machines and tough defensive hustlers with athleticism are more important for team defense and chemistry in a tough grind it out playoff series than some soft ass three point shooting power forward

Regular season offensive ratings were on the hawks and raptors side aswell.. but we all saw how it translated into the playoffs

Just be happy your boy lebron has so much talent that guys can step in and seemingly improve lebrons title chances

Cant you be happy with that. Or is it your short dick having mission to live through your lebron fantasies that just winning isnt good enough. It has to be against all odds

Lmao the cavs are better right now than ive ever seen them all year. Completely shutting down a 60 win team with great defense and rebounding.. not kevin loves stretch threes

:hammerhead:

Prometheus
05-26-2015, 03:30 AM
Love isn't any softer than Pau Gasol. See what I did there?

I<3NBA
05-26-2015, 03:33 AM
they need K. Love because they are very thin on the front line. with K. Love, they are able to rest Mozgov and keep him out of foul trouble

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2015, 03:35 AM
Its as simple as this

You want lebron to win without any great help and missing more important players

But youre insecurities wont allow you to realize that loves stretch 4 three point shooting and the teams offensive rating doesnt translate into playoff success

Big men who are offensive rebounding machines and tough defensive hustlers with athleticism are more important for team defense and chemistry in a tough grind it out playoff series than some soft ass three point shooting power forward

Regular season offensive ratings were on the hawks and raptors side aswell.. but we all saw how it translated into the playoffs

Just be happy your boy lebron has so much talent that guys can step in and seemingly improve lebrons title chances

Cant you be happy with that. Or is it your short dick having mission to live through your lebron fantasies that just winning isnt good enough. It has to be against all odds

Lmao the cavs are better right now than ive ever seen them all year. Completely shutting down a 60 win team with great defense and rebounding.. not kevin loves stretch threes

:hammerhead:
Lol you're still missing the point where the team plays Tristan and Love down the stretch to get floor spacing, and elite rebounding. Can even put LeBron at the 4 and Love at the 3 if the other team has a strong PF.

Your tunnel vision isn't allowing you to see that Love and Tristan can play together, and will just like they did late in the majority of games.

ILLsmak
05-26-2015, 07:50 AM

Kyrie is a beast. He did a lot of shit in the playoffs and RS. Kyrie right now is a more explosive scorer than Bron. JR can be as explosive as Kyrie for stretches, and he has been when he starts making 8 threes, but in general Kyrie gets hot quicker, makes ridiculous shots, and keeps breaking down the defense.

If both JR and Kyrie are getting an open 3, it may be close, but Kyrie can score and Bron can rest on offense. JR scores, too, but like I said he's very inconsistent. He's not a second option like Kyrie is.

-Smak

El Gato Negro
05-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Sure if you are a fvcking idiot.

Clifton
05-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Obviously Love is a greater talent than Thompson. But Thompson is a perfect fit with Lebron, and their chemistry is great.

The way TT and Mozgov are flourishing on the Cavs reminds me of some of those iconic Bulls roleplayers who would have been totally forgotten had they been on any other team.

Love isn't a snug fit like that. It's too bad.

hiphopfan777
05-26-2015, 10:42 AM
LeBron's teammates are garbage. Irving, thompson and love had no playoffs without LeBron. Shumpert and smith were hot garbage in new York last place in conference until they rode LeBron's dick. Plus LeBron's garbage superstars irving and love are hurt and selfish b allhogs who never play any defense.

Tarik One
05-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Guys like Tristan, A.C Green, and Dennis Rodman are a swingman's dream. They make things so much easier and don't disrupt the flow of the offense.

ISHGoat
05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
I didnt read all of this thread but if you argue that klove puts up empty stats then you are a certified retard and all your opinions are void.

His miserable wolves team last year were 7.2 points/100 possessions better with him on the floor, 1.2 points defensively. I guess he must be thinking: "better not grab that rebound because theyll call me an empty stat padder if we lose this game".

You replace klove with wiggins and bennett and they drop from a .500 team to picking #1 in the lottery.

kenneth showing his brilliance as usual

on the other hand, i am readily willing to admit that the cavs with a fully healthy roster is one of the most stacked teams in recent memory, in terms of talent, on par with 2011 heat and 2015 warriors

kshutts1
05-26-2015, 12:58 PM
I wish I could find my old post, but I said on here, months ago, that Love was an unnecessary good. I didn't go in to this depth, but essentially his skillset may be perfect for the Cavs, in that he's a stretch four that rebounds, but his ego and talent dictate that he do more than that. Lebron and the current Cavs roster needs nothing out of their PF than hitting shots and rebounding. Love was way, way overqualified for that. Cleveland would have been better off with a much lesser-echelon player than Love.

Wish I could find that so I'd look smart :(

r15mohd
05-26-2015, 01:21 PM
I didnt read all of this thread but if you argue that klove puts up empty stats then you are a certified retard and all your opinions are void.

His miserable wolves team last year were 7.2 points/100 possessions better with him on the floor, 1.2 points defensively. I guess he must be thinking: "better not grab that rebound because theyll call me an empty stat padder if we lose this game".

You replace klove with wiggins and bennett and they drop from a .500 team to picking #1 in the lottery.

kenneth showing his brilliance as usual

on the other hand, i am readily willing to admit that the cavs with a fully healthy roster is one of the most stacked teams in recent memory, in terms of talent, on par with 2011 heat and 2015 warriors

not the 2011 Heat...it was the big3, injured miller and players like Arroyo and washed up Bibby. :no:

2012 with battier, definitely, and even more with 2013 Heat with Birdman too. if you label the Heat stacked, these years define it as they eliminated the deficits from 2011 in it being 1a/1b show with no gameplan and Lebron and Wade's talent to win games, only.