PDA

View Full Version : Best book you've read?

Eric Cartman
05-26-2015, 10:44 AM
What is the best book you've read and why?

nightprowler10
05-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Ever? That's a tough one. One Hundred Years of Solitude is up there for me. Why? Just the style, the actual story, the elements of fantasy sprinkled on top of reality, the way the story comes full circle, etc.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
well could y'all post em here? http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11387142

L.Kizzle
05-26-2015, 02:55 PM
There's a Wocket in my Pocket

Lakers Legend#32
05-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Andrei89
05-26-2015, 03:59 PM
A Storm of Swords

fiddy
05-26-2015, 04:08 PM
i think Zen

Derka
05-26-2015, 04:15 PM
The Lord of the Rings and entirely because of the impact it had on my 10-year old brain. That book made me a reader for life.

That_Admiral
05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Animal Farm by George Orwell

Shade8780
05-26-2015, 04:25 PM
The Lord of the Rings and entirely because of the impact it had on my 10-year old brain. That book made me a reader for life.
I'm reading The Two Towers for the first time after finishing FotR and The Hobbit recently. Not bad.

rufuspaul
05-26-2015, 04:51 PM
A Confederacy of Dunces

Several reasons I love this book: the setting of New Orleans in the late 60s, the absolutely absurd, pathetic, yet hilarious and ultimately heroic main character, and the circumstances surrounding the author's tragic life and the journey his manuscript went through before being published and winning the Pulitzer.

outbreak
05-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Not sure of my over all best. At the moment my favourites probably the jeeves and wooster novels, take your pick as to which volume they are all excellent and Wodehouse is a genius.

A few others I liked a lot were brave new world, a clockwork orange, dune, world war z and hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Best basketball book I've read is play their hearts out.

oarabbus
05-26-2015, 07:13 PM
A Confederacy of Dunces

Several reasons I love this book: the setting of New Orleans in the late 60s, the absolutely absurd, pathetic, yet hilarious and ultimately heroic main character, and the circumstances surrounding the author's tragic life and the journey his manuscript went through before being published and winning the Pulitzer.

Tucker Max, tho?

I have this book. Have not yet read it, though.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Anyone read American Pscho? What were your favorite parts in the book?

Jameerthefear
05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Real book:
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

Fanfiction:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Silver Resistance
or
Pedestal

irondarts
05-26-2015, 08:19 PM
I've read lots and lots. The one that has always stuck with me and I'd say is my favorite off the top of my head is American Pastoral by Philip Roth. Why? It's just a stunningly good novel and one that I have come back to a lot.

moaz
05-27-2015, 10:16 AM
This isnt the first time I heard someone say this book is one of their all time favorites.......ima have to check it out.

It is one of the best I've ever read. Just be patient and don't quit after the first 60-70 pages, which could be confusing. Try to find an edition with the family tree :D; they all seem to have the same names.

If you like it, then read "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" to really appreciate how good Gabriel Garc

rufuspaul
05-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I've read lots and lots. The one that has always stuck with me and I'd say is my favorite off the top of my head is American Pastoral by Philip Roth. Why? It's just a stunningly good novel and one that I have come back to a lot.

Excellent novel although the ending left me wanting more. Roth is a great storyteller and has a unique take on American history.

Bandito
05-27-2015, 10:53 AM
fan fiction: Final Fantasy Legacy

Book: Path of "" series by Diana Pharaoh Francis

ILLsmak
05-27-2015, 09:48 PM
A Confederacy of Dunces

It is hopeful that most people won't have to kill themselves to get their shit published THO...

The best book to me is Old Man and the Sea.

There are parts I like of other books more... and I could say a book like Wuthering Heights is a more masterful novel... but Old Man and the Sea has the most punch.

-Smak

Nowitness
05-28-2015, 03:02 PM
The Birth of Tragedy.

Shade8780
05-28-2015, 03:38 PM
The Fellowship chapter in FOTR killed me when I read it as a kid. About 40 pages of talking about trying to do something.

I love those books, but that chapter, fuuuuck.

Two Towers was the best in my opinion. There's a lot more Ent stuff than the movies gave you.
The Council of Elrond? I loved that chapter, along with all the other dialogue-driven stuff because they usually move the story on a lot. I can get it if you were just a child though, since most kids just want some action.

My weakness with these books is stuff like The Old Forest and Tom Bombadil which makes you want to puke and never read them again. I hate when whole chapters are driven behind walking, no dialogue, and describing every single detail in the area. I don't give a f*ck how young the trees looked or how nice the river sounded, just do something.