PDA

View Full Version : Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?

Rocketswin2013
05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Like, I can see him being up there off-the-dribble, but overall? Steve Nash and Kyle Korver both have cases over him. And they're not the only ones.

kshutts1
05-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Like, I can see him being up there off-the-dribble, but overall? Steve Nash and Kyle Korver both have cases over him. And they're not the only ones.
Steve Nash is probably the GOAT off-the-dribble shooter. May even be the most accurate shooter of all time.

But Curry gets the nod when you factor in his incredible volume.

warriorfan
05-26-2015, 04:14 PM

You are suffering from what is called butt-hurt syndrome. AMC has torched your shitty team so hard that you feel some type of way and can't think rationally

Or you are just racist

Rocketswin2013
05-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Steve Nash is probably the GOAT off-the-dribble shooter. May even be the most accurate shooter of all time.

But Curry gets the nod when you factor in his incredible volume.
What about Korver?

sd3035
05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Yes

Out_In_Utah
05-26-2015, 04:19 PM
It isn't unanimous, but he probably has the strongest case.

warriorfan
05-26-2015, 04:24 PM
What about Korver?

Korver averaged 11 points this post season while shooting .355 from 3

Curry averaging 29.4 points this post season while shooting .449 from 3

Who do you think is the better shooter?

kshutts1
05-26-2015, 04:25 PM
What about Korver?
His body of work is laughable compared to Nash, much less Curry.

You'd have a better argument with Kerr than Korver. Not to mention Miller, Allen, Bird, Durant, Price...

Rocketswin2013
05-26-2015, 04:27 PM
His body of work is laughable compared to Nash, much less Curry.

You'd have a better argument with Kerr than Korver. Not to mention Miller, Allen, Bird, Durant, Price...
Korver just shot nearly 50% from 3 on 6 attempts this season... Laughable? C'mon.

Rocketswin2013
05-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Korver averaged 11 points this post season while shooting .355 from 3

Curry averaging 29.4 points this post season while shooting .449 from 3

Who do you think is the better shooter?
That is Currys first time shooting 40% or higher in the playoffs. Korver has done much better.

scm5
05-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Let's break down the different types of ways to take a 3:

1. Pull up - Curry's quick release allows him to be a better pull up 3 point shooter than Nash and Korver.

2. Set shot - I have no idea about percentages, but I'll just give this one to Korver and Nash but throw in that Curry's gotta be close.

3. Transition - Curry's transition 3 has almost become a layup. The only way Korver or Nash take a transition 3 is if it's kicked out to them.

4. Off-ball movement - Curry's ability to get free off of screens is amazing considering how good he is WITH the ball. He's right there with Korver in terms of off-ball movement and he's definitely ahead of Nash.

5. Off the dribble - No contest, the distance between Curry and Nash/Korver would be like pitting a cheetah against Usain Bolt in a sprint. Different breed.

6. Range - Curry's got insane range and he takes these 3's consistently. Nash and Korver definitely don't take these shots.

I really can't think of any more categories of 3's to compare them and Curry is the only shooter of the 3 that can do all of them at a high level. He has the percentages and volume to back it up. He's also the best of the 3 in 4/6 of the categories.

I really don't think it can be argued that he's the single greatest shooter in the history of the NBA.

scm5
05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
That is Currys first time shooting 40% or higher in the playoffs. Korver has done much better.

I like how you just look at percentages and completely ignore the degree of difficulty in Curry's shots vs Korver's.

stephanieg
05-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Curry drains pull up 30 footers like they're normal shots. Older players have comparable efficiency but much lower volume because back then three point shooting was seen as a gimmick or a niche strategy. Imagine if Curry only took 2-3 threes a game.

SHAQisGOAT
05-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Korver just shot nearly 50% from 3 on 6 attempts this season... Laughable? C'mon.

People gotta stop thinking (overall) shooting is just about 3pt-shooting.

Korver, to me, can't be mentioned amongst the VERY BEST shooters ever, he doesn't have the volume, not enough post-season production, can't create his own shot like some other dudes, never ever averaged over 15 PPG... He's one of the best shooters ever - especially pure shooter, but just can't be mentioned with the likes of Curry, Bird, Dirk, Nash, Allen, Miller, Durant, Ellis... imho.

Talking about peaks, I'd say Curry has a great case for GOAT shooter, he has the volume and productivity, can create his own shot (beast off the dribble), makes some ridiculous shots time and time again, can do it in many ways from many places... But it gets very hard to name just one, and it's very subjective... So I couldn't definitely say it's him.

ImKobe
05-26-2015, 04:43 PM
The GOAT 3PT shooter. Overall GOAT shooter is hard to call. He isn't the GOAT FT shooter and surely he doesn't have the best fadeaway or pull-up mid-range J, those things come into account when you talk about shooting, the whole package.

However, no one in NBA history has shot threes at that high of a volume, and his shooting efficiency is up there with the best of them. That's what makes him the GOAT 3PT shooter to me.

Who else could create and knock down as many 3s as Curry can off the dribble? Plus he's money coming off screens.

It's not just his shooting ability, but his speed and the release, it's impossible to guard. Dude has 70 made threes in the Playoffs in 14 games, he has more made 3pt shots than shots within the arc, and he's averaging 29 points a game, more than half of his points come off threes, making 5 a game at a 44,9% clip, that's insane.

scm5
05-26-2015, 04:46 PM

Korver, to me, can't be mentioned amongst the VERY BEST shooters ever, he doesn't have the volume, not enough post-season production, can't create his own shot like some other dudes, never ever averaged over 15 PPG... He's one of the best shooters ever - especially pure shooter, but just can't be mentioned with the likes of Curry, Bird, Dirk, Nash, Allen, Miller, Durant, Ellis... imho.

Talking about peaks, I'd say Curry has a great case for GOAT shooter, he has the volume and productivity, can create his own shot (beast off the dribble), makes some ridiculous shots time and time again, can do it in many ways from many places... But it gets very hard to name just one, and it's very subjective... So I couldn't definitely say it's him.

So, if you took out all his FT's, all his 2 point shots. Curry this postseason is averaging 5 made 3's per game which comes out to 15ppg based solely on 3's. He's shooting 44.9%.

To put this into perspective: He's made more 3's per game in these playoffs than Steve Nash has taken on average in any of his seasons.

His 15 ppg off 3's puts him .7 ppg above Nash' career ppg and just 2.3 behind him in career playoff ppg.

I really don't think this can be argued.

Done_And_Done
05-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Scm, Shaqisgoat, and ImKobe all with 3 really good reads + arguments.

Good stuff fellas...

Rocketswin2013
05-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Yeah you're probably right. But at a certain point, a guy has to get credit for .497 on 6 attempts. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Much better than a guy like Kerr. But not as difficult as Allen's or Nash's. I also don't think Dirk should be listed with the rest. GOAT for a big man, but there are better. Durant too.

Ray Allen was on Curry's level for some years, but not nearly as consistent.

scm5
05-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah you're probably right. But at a certain point, a guy has to get credit for .497 on 6 attempts. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Much better than a guy like Kerr. But not as difficult as Allen's or Nash's. I also don't think Dirk should be listed with the rest. GOAT for a big man, but there are better. Durant too.

Ray Allen was on Curry's level for some years, but not nearly as consistent.

Curry's shot is so unique because of his release and how little lift he gets. Ray Allen gets pretty high on his jumpers and he doesn't release the ball as he's going up, rather right at the peak his jump. This makes it less consistent than Curry's shot and especially less consistent as he gets more tired.

Akrazotile
05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Yes, Curry is already the greatest three point shooter hands down.

He's not only breaking a bunch of the records for three point shooting, he's then going and breaking his own newly set records.

The NBA has never, ever seen shooting like this. Period.

SHAQisGOAT
05-26-2015, 07:16 PM
So, if you took out all his FT's, all his 2 point shots. Curry this postseason is averaging 5 made 3's per game which comes out to 15ppg based solely on 3's. He's shooting 44.9%.

To put this into perspective: He's made more 3's per game in these playoffs than Steve Nash has taken on average in any of his seasons.

His 15 ppg off 3's puts him .7 ppg above Nash' career ppg and just 2.3 behind him in career playoff ppg.

I really don't think this can be argued.

Not denying that that isn't just great but why should we remove those "things" even? Like I've said, shooting's not just about 3pt-shooting.

You got 3pt-shooting along many spots across the 3pt-line, you gotta account for how deep is one's range even beyond that line, got many areas/spots from mid-range which is very importnt, FT shooting, in the paint even...
Then you got ability to create your own shot, off-the-dribble, ability to hit contested jumpers, catch-n-shoot, spotting up, pull-up in transition, stepbacks, even stuff like faders from the post, consider ability to shoot under pressure too...
With all that said, Curry has a very good case for GOAT shooter when you take everything into account, even productivity/volume, but it's extremely hard to name just one and there are (few) others who could be placed above him too.

You could say there were others better from mid-range and/or the FT line.
You got some others who were better at directly contested jumpers.
His longevity is still mediocre, he still got ways to go.
Other great shooter have had better than 24 PPG scoring seasons (Curry's best right now).
You can bring up dudes who were clutcher.
You can bring up stuff like some players not coming up, or even playing at pro level, with the 3pt-line, or dudes who were playing in a time where it wasn't nearly as emphasized.
You can say that Steph wouldn't be as good during hand-checking era in a non-guard oriented league, or even not as effective with stuff such as defenders clutching to his arm when he shoots or scratching, when nowadays you can't even slighlty touch a player while he's shooting.
But, again, he does have a great case for GOAT shooter. Makes it more amazing that he's not even 6'3 and not an elite athlete, although his great ball-handling helps him a lot.

iamgine
05-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?

IMO he is. Very clearly.

If you disagree,

https://31.media.tumblr.com/55d170c898b240783dc332124bbd197d/tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

plowking
05-26-2015, 08:03 PM

What are Nash's and Korver's case over him?

He scores way more 3's than both. Has better 3 point percentage than both.
He is a better free throw shooter than Korver, and slightly worse than Nash over their career, though will most likely catch up to him.

He has the record for most 3's in a seasons. And he is second to his own record... :oldlol:

No one has a case.

jzek
05-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Larry Bird is.

I know because unlike most of you, I actually saw Bird play in the 80s.

tontoz
05-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Over the last 3 seasons Curry has made 819 threes shooting 44%. When you take into account accuracy and volume nobody has ever done what Curry is doing, or even gotten close.

For his age he is definitely the best 3 pt shooter ever. As far as shooting overall it is tougher to call.

Chadwin
05-26-2015, 10:37 PM
What are Nash's and Korver's case over him?

He scores way more 3's than both. Has better 3 point percentage than both.
He is a better free throw shooter than Korver, and slightly worse than Nash over their career, though will most likely catch up to him.

He has the record for most 3's in a seasons. And he is second to his own record... :oldlol:

No one has a case.

Nash career ORtg>Curry

Nash has 4 50/40/90 seasons, Curry has zero

24-Inch_Chrome
05-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Nash career ORtg>Curry

Nash's offensive impact is so underrated. By the numbers he has had the greatest offensive impact ever among PGs.

warriorfan
05-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Nash career ORtg>Curry

ortg :lol

fuccing nash nerds I swear, don't know shit about ball

CavaliersFTW
06-20-2016, 05:07 PM
No because he gets exposed as just another shooter in the following scenarios:

*When it matters most.

*When defense focuses on him.

*When he doesn't run someone through at least 2 illegal holds/screens.

*4th quarters in the NBA Finals.

*NBA Finals stages in general.

*When Kevin Love guards him 1 on 1.

*When Tristan Thompson guards him 1 on 1.

*When Mathew Dellavedova guards him 1 on 1.

*When LeBron James is chasing him in transition.

3 points in the 4th quarter of game 7 NBA Finals. 0 points in the final 7 minutes. Only lost by 4 points. More turnovers than assists all series. 22ppg on 40FG% all series. We were all premature crowning him as anything but an elite 3 point shooter in the SYSTEM his team gives him.