PDA

View Full Version : SI has had enough - Playoff reform needed.

Magic 32
05-27-2015, 04:27 AM
http://s16.postimg.org/5mi8jz4d1/tyoutoi.png

Don't blame the Hawks for this.

Instead, blame the NBA's flawed playoff format, which continues to undercut the quality of the league's postseason product. A few weeks back, there was much moaning, deservedly, about the Clippers facing the Spurs in the first round. That was only one side of the coin, though, and this frustratingly bland Eastern Conference finals was the other.

The NBA playoffs should be a thorough, ruthless process of separating the contenders from the pretenders. That's happening in the cutthroat West, but not in the wayward East. Taking the top eight teams from each conference, rather than the top 16 teams overall, costs basketball fans the best their game has to offer at every stage of the postseason. ​

Atlanta might have earned its trip to the conference finals, but it didn't deserve to be one of the NBA's final four teams. The Hawks were able to obtain a conference finals berth primarily by virtue of their geography. Their zip code benefits played a part in their success at every stage. Atlanta's first-round opponent, Brooklyn, finished 38-44, which was the worst record in the postseason and would have been tied for the 11th best record in the West. Atlanta's second-round opponent, Washington, finished 46-36, just one game better than the West's No. 8 seed.

Imagine the better, alternate world, where the NBA's 16 best teams make the playoffs. The Nets would have been on the outside looking in, rather than serving as soft first-round fodder for the Hawks. The Wizards would have been the No. 12 seed out of 16, meaning they would almost certainly have gone home in the first round, rather than producing a forgettable second-round series against the Hawks. Yes, Paul Pierce's three game-deciding shots made for great theater, but a real series shows its quality over 48-minute games rather 18 seconds worth of Vine loops. As for the Hawks, it's very hard to believe they would have won two series if they had to beat teams like the Clippers, Grizzlies, Spurs and others to get to the conference finals stage. They simply haven't been potent, disciplined or energetic enough.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/23/lebron-james-cavaliers-reach-nba-finals-sweep-hawks-adam-silver-playoff-reform

RoundMoundOfReb
05-27-2015, 04:28 AM
So the Cavs would still be in the ECF at least? Lmao

LEFT4DEAD
05-27-2015, 04:32 AM
I dont see a difference. There would be still 90% chance of the Warriors-Cavs finals.

plowking
05-27-2015, 04:34 AM
So we'd get a Cavs-Warriors final again?

SI has had enough though. They're taking charge.

J Shuttlesworth
05-27-2015, 04:34 AM
This would have been a better scenario. This way, that hippie ****** Olynyk can't tear Love's shoulder out and the Cavs would sweep the entire playoffs.

pauk
05-27-2015, 04:36 AM
Im all for that, perhaps a bit better basketball/competition.... but unfortunately it doesnt make any difference whatsoever for the later stages ECF / WCF as the better / same team will always win.... the two best teams will & would always have won their Conference Championships (go to the Finals) which is right now Cavs & Warriors (not official for Warriors, but come on, doubt Rockets win 4 games in a row).....

Rocketswin2013
05-27-2015, 04:36 AM
If health is the same, Rockets can win that conference. Impossible to know for sure, but it's possible with homecourt over those teams.

34-24 Footwork
05-27-2015, 04:38 AM
If this happens, LeBron will join a Western Conference team, for sure. Just kidding. But damn. Something HAS to happen.

The Eastern Conference finals was nothing short of awful and deplorable. Bulls/Cavs was disgusting. Bulls/bucks was awful. Celtics/Cavs was a scrimmage. Toronto/Washington was entertaining at times. Nets had NO business being in the playoffs.

34-24 Footwork
05-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Im all for that, but unfortunately it doesnt make any difference whatsoever for the later stages ECF / WCF as the better / same team will always win.... the two best teams will & would always have won their Conference Championships (go to the Finals) which is right now Cavs & Warriors (not official for Warriors, but come on, doubt Rockets win 4 games in a row).....

Yes it does kiddo. But I understand your agenda.

el gringos
05-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Dumb idea. Everything happens in cycles. I remember when the afc "would never be able to beat the NFC" in a Super Bowl

Rocketswin2013
05-27-2015, 04:50 AM
Dumb idea. Everything happens in cycles. I remember when the afc "would never be able to beat the NFC" in a Super Bowl
The West just got the top 2 picks in a top-heavy draft. C'mon. Harden should've been traded to Washington for Beal when they had the chance and the Bobcats should've won that #1 pick and gotten Davis. Two huge moves. Seriously, the Bobcats got so shafted in the 2012 draft. People don't talk about it enough.

Magic 32
05-27-2015, 04:53 AM

Cycles?

It's been 17 years and things are just getting worse.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-27-2015, 04:53 AM
Nope. Don't want more fairness and better matchups.

buddha
05-27-2015, 04:54 AM
lol @ thinking the Rockets would beat the Spurs.

Spurs vs Cavs semifinals would be juicy. also that setup would really allow the 4 best teams in the league to get to the semifinals.

but as long as LeBron is playing in the East this will never happen.

JohnFreeman
05-27-2015, 04:56 AM
So we'd get a Cavs-Warriors final again?

SI has had enough though. They're taking charge.
This :lol

Magic 32
05-27-2015, 05:03 AM
This :lol

http://i.imgur.com/ZaDdx2c.gif

bobeticus
05-27-2015, 05:07 AM
I dont see a difference. There would be still 90% chance of the Warriors-Cavs finals.

This.

whatever format or what you guys trying to say East is Weak is pretty irrelevant... this Two Teams are at the Top of their Conference Bracket... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

chazzy
05-27-2015, 05:10 AM
So all these Bran stans think the Cavs would cake walk past Spurs/Rockets?

LEFT4DEAD
05-27-2015, 05:13 AM
Love would not get injured since they wouldnt be playing that freak Olynik, so I think its a safe bet on Cavs. They would get to the finals pretty easily imo.

Magic 32
05-27-2015, 05:14 AM

Never underestimate the power of denial.

Genaro
05-27-2015, 05:21 AM
I don't know if the Rockets beat the Spurs or the Clippers beat the Grizzlies. But other than that: Yes, this would be much better playoffs.

Bernkastel
05-27-2015, 05:37 AM
lol too bad for you. Things will never change. The East will rise again.

MP.Trey
05-27-2015, 06:02 AM
If this is such a big issue. Why wasn't the format changed 40 years ago?

Magic 32
05-27-2015, 06:05 AM
If this is such a big issue. Why wasn't the format changed 40 years ago?

Because this has "only" been a problem for 17 years.

Rose'sACL
05-27-2015, 06:14 AM
lel. i can understand a lakers fan saying that.

StephHamann
05-27-2015, 06:14 AM

Minnesotta and the Pelicans are the next powerhouses, Utah's second half was strong as **** Gobert is a beast. Hell even the Lakers might be relevant again with Okafor and a top free agent signing.

East meanwhile gonna east.

MP.Trey
05-27-2015, 06:15 AM
We will eventually see a weak West in the future, and we have at times in the past. It's a part of sports that sometimes teams miss out on playoff opportunities because they don't stack up to the competition in their conference/division, the NBA shouldn't be the only major sport to disregard conferences. What would the point in having conferences even be then?

Obviously the East has been weak for a while now, but it's not going to always be that way. I'm a stickler for tradition, you can feel whichever way you feel on the topic but that's how I feel.

UK2K
05-27-2015, 06:40 AM
But the playoffs would be more entertaining.

ArbitraryWater
05-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Sooo Cavs/Warriors final again?

SI HAS HAD ENOUGH!!!! TAKING CHARGE NOW!!

Blue&Orange
05-27-2015, 06:52 AM
This has to be the worst\weakest playoffs in recent memory.

The hack-someone because these "athletes" can't shoot, the brickfests in the east, games turned into boring 3 point contests, the spread legs defenses with ridiculous rim protection, layup drills, Blake's, Harden's Lebron's getting triple doubles without breaking a sweat in performances that no one will remember.

Hopefully the finals will be good.

bobeticus
05-27-2015, 06:52 AM
why play in the West when its tougher there, where you can play in the East for much less competition.... don't understand the logic of these superstars from the West... if you want to get easy path and a free shot to the Finals Go East simple as that... :rant :rant :rant :rant

They can go to Atlanta a first seed team in the East and dominate there... :rockon:

niko
05-27-2015, 07:04 AM
You'd kill any meaningful games as a result of seeding for the most part and arrive at the same finals. Brilliant.

ProfessorMurder
05-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Love would not get injured since they wouldnt be playing that freak Olynik, so I think its a safe bet on Cavs. They would get to the finals pretty easily imo.

Pau might not get hurt.
Conley might not get hurt.
CP3 might not get hurt.

Bulls might play Cavs better with Love in the lineup.

etc. etc.

That 1-16 bracket looks far more interesting than the shit playoffs we've had.

Dresta
05-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes, the Cavs would easily beat the Spurs :rolleyes: .

You morons are so delusional...