PDA

View Full Version : Is last year's Spurs better than this Warriors team?

AintNoSunshine
05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Discuss

plowking
05-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Yes.

This Warriors team is the second or third best team of the last 10 years after those Spurs, and maybe the 2013 Heat.

SilkkTheShocker
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
LOL yes. The Spurs this year would have even beat the GS

smoovegittar
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Yes.

HelterSkelter
05-27-2015, 09:08 PM
To me, '14 Spurs was the best team since the '04 Pistons..

That'll be a great match-up..

Alamо
05-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Yes

Ruler
05-27-2015, 09:33 PM
2014 Spurs was the most dominate team I've ever witnessed. It was truly a team game.

raprap
05-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Spurs in 6

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-27-2015, 09:40 PM
2014 Spurs was the most dominate team I've ever witnessed. It was truly a team game.
You must be in high school or younger

iTare
05-27-2015, 09:41 PM
LeBron had to have a monstrous game in the 2nd game and they still only won by 2 points i think.

Lebron23
05-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Yes

Spurs m8
05-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Yes the Spurs were better

Beastmode88
05-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Yes. Too bad the spurs werent as hungry this year. :(

SCdac
05-27-2015, 09:57 PM
I think so. Patty Mills, Kawhi, Splitter, Belinelli, Diaw, etc, all wanting to win their first championship and the Big 3 wanting 1 more. Very deep bench and they played great defense. Spurs were healthier last year. And the loss to the Heat in the Finals lit a fire under the Spurs ass that is hard to quantify. These Warriors are still young and I doubt they feel like their time is expiring soon (like the Spurs probably feel nowadays, as age is very much a factor). But comparing teams from different years is tricky (let alone different eras). One has to examine the competition, overall setting, circumstances, and so on. In other words, if some team goes 16-0 in the playoffs today, sure they fully dominated today's competition, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're better than other championship teams based on that 16-0 record alone. Just like Taylor Swift having more Grammys than some legendary artist doesn't necessarily make her better. Even the 2014 Spurs I personally don't feel are one of the strongest championship teams ever - but they were far and away the strongest team in their season and no doubt their the quintessential team.... It's all relative I guess

AintNoSunshine
05-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Good to know all of us think the same

JellyBean
05-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Without question. Hands down. Last years Spurs team was focused and on a mission. Their offense was off the charts and on the defensive side, they were killer!!! Without question, that Spurs team from last year was much better than this Warriors team.

Kingwillball
05-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Without question. Hands down. Last years Spurs team was focused and on a mission. Their offense was off the charts and on the defensive side, they were killer!!! Without question, that Spurs team from last year was much better than this Warriors team.

Yup and this Cavs team is better than that Heat team.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-27-2015, 10:32 PM
The reason Spurs were so dominant last year was b/c Manu was lowkey their best player. Their offense was very human without him on the court and it exploded to alltime levels with him. He fell off this season and so did Spurs offense. Their defense is still the same

Also 08 Celtics>last years Spurs

Vragrant
05-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Spurs in 6. That team was on another level. GS turns the ball over way too much to survive that series.

Kingwillball
05-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Klay is a Fricken tard.. :facepalm

Smoke117
05-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Last years Spurs needed seven games to beat the Mavs in the FIRST ROUND. Let's not act like they had such an easy time of it getting through the west. They were practically almost eliminated in the first round. Get off their nuts, ish.

deja vu
05-28-2015, 12:55 AM
Last years Spurs needed seven games to beat the Mavs in the FIRST ROUND. Let's not act like they had such an easy time of it getting through the west. They were practically almost eliminated in the first round. Get off their nuts, ish.
This. They were a great team but they're not invincible like the 1996 Bulls or 2001 Lakers.

ronnymac
05-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Spurs in 7

100grandman
05-28-2015, 01:01 AM
yes

xhuegox
05-28-2015, 01:05 AM
01 Lakers would destroy both

Mrofir
05-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Spurs just take all the mysticism out of the game. They seem to win about 60-80% of their playoff series depending on health and circumstances, like clockwork. They can always be beaten, but they almost never just drop a series. Some years that formula has resulted in championships.

The early Spurs championship teams were much more closely related to the nearly unbeatable Lakers and Bulls teams that people talk about. But still, even those teams were beatable, it's just that nobody did those championship years.

This is why they haven't won 2 in a row. Statistically speaking the chances of winning 8 playoff series in a row at a 70% clip are very low. Winning 4 in a row at that clip, something like 5-20 I'd venture.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-28-2015, 01:22 AM
This. And the Pop ******gers need to accept Carlisle outcoached him and Dallas lost because they had much worse talent/depth

Spurs m8
05-28-2015, 01:23 AM
This. And the Pop ******gers need to accept Carlisle outcoached him and Dallas lost because they had much worse talent/depth

These guys fell asleep after round 1

J Shuttlesworth
05-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Hmm.... I'm not sure I can agree with everyone in here. It's close, but the Spurs were taken to game 7 by the Mavericks. If Blair never kicked someone and got ejected, they could have gone up 3-1 and won the series.

The Warriors have owned their competition, but they've also faced injured teams, and will face an injured team in the finals.

Droid101
05-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Best defense and best offense in the league. Spurs never did that.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-28-2015, 01:26 AM
Best defense and best offense in the league. Spurs never did that.
Umm neither did GS. Clips had the best offense. Spurs offense was better than either anyways

Mrofir
05-28-2015, 01:26 AM
It all depends on what this Warriors team does in the next few seasons.

If they string 2 together or make a few visits in the next 5 years, this will be seen as a very strong team. If they fall off the face of the earth, this will be a small market team anomaly season.

warriorfan
05-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Warriors '15

PTS/G: 110.0 (1st of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 99.9 (15th of 30)
SRS: 10.01 (1st of 30) ▪ Pace: 98.3 (1st of 30)
Off Rtg: 111.6 (2nd of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 101.4 (1st of 30)
W-L: 67-15 (1st of 30)

Spurs '14

PTS/G: 105.4 (6th of 30) ▪ Opp PTS/G: 97.6 (6th of 30)
SRS: 8.00 (1st of 30) ▪ Pace: 95.0 (10th of 30)
Off Rtg: 110.5 (7th of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 102.4 (3rd of 30)
W-L: 62-20 (1st of 30)

Out_In_Utah
05-28-2015, 01:29 AM
Yes

1987_Lakers
05-28-2015, 01:38 AM

Not to mention they beat an injured OKC team without Ibaka the first 2 games. OKC actually did quite well vs the Spurs once Ibaka came back and he wasn't even 100%. It's funny how people down talked the Warriors for playing injured teams when San Antonio went up against an injured team in the WCF.

I think it's better to make this thread once the season is over, Golden State hasn't won a title yet so there are still non believers out there, if they win the title in dominant fashion I bet you many posters will pick Golden State. I made a thread a couple of months back comparing the '02 Kings to Golden State, almost EVERYONE picked the '02 Kings. If I make that thread right now you will see many people picking Golden State.

People are always negative towards a team when they haven't won anything yet if you are comparing them to a past championship team, that's just how it is. Lets just wait and see how the Warriors do against the Cavs then we will talk.

I'll just say this, being 67-15 and having pretty much the #1 offense & #1 defense also winning a title means you are an all-time great team.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-28-2015, 01:39 AM
Not to mention they beat an injured OKC team without Ibaka the first 2 games. OKC actually did quite well vs the Spurs once Ibaka came back and he wasn't even 100%. It's funny how people down talked the Warriors for playing injured teams when San Antonio went up against an injured team in the WCF.

I think it's better to make this thread once the season is over, Golden State hasn't won a title yet so there are still non believers out there, if they win the title in dominant fashion I bet you many posters will pick Golden State. I made a thread a couple of months back comparing the '02 Kings to Golden State, almost EVERYONE picked the '02 Kings. If I make that thread right now you will see many people picking Golden State.

People are always negative towards a team when they haven't won anything yet if you are comparing them to a past championship team, that's just how it is. Lets just wait and see how the Warriors do against the Cavs then we will talk.

I'll just say this, being 67-15 and having pretty much the #1 offense & #1 defense also winning a title means you are an all-time great team.
#2 offense

imnew09
05-28-2015, 01:41 AM
LeBron had to have a monstrous game in the 2nd game and they still only won by 2 points i think.

it was all blown out games when Spurs won

Timmy D for MVP
05-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Yes. No one has gotten to that level they were at in the Finals last year. I don't think either team can.

This Warriors team turns the ball over too much.

1987_Lakers
05-28-2015, 01:45 AM
#2 offense

Clippers: 109.8 offensive efficiency
Warriors: 109.7 offensive efficiency

They are basically the same. Warriors also had the best defense in the league by good margin.

1987_Lakers
05-28-2015, 01:48 AM
This Warriors team turns the ball over too much.

They turn the ball over alot because of the pace they play in, although they had some careless turnovers this postseason it can easily be corrected.

Warriors were actually #15 in the NBA in turnover ratio which is pretty average.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-28-2015, 01:50 AM
Clippers: 109.8 offensive efficiency
Warriors: 109.7 offensive efficiency

They are basically the same. Warriors also had the best defense in the league by good margin.
Clips-112.4 ORTG
Warriors-111.6 ORTG

not arguing about defense, GS is clearly the best. Ron Adams, Bogut, Draymond, Iggy, Klay, Livingston, Ezeli. Insane talent and great system that makes avg defenders even look good

Timmy D for MVP
05-28-2015, 01:54 AM
They turn the ball over alot because of the pace they play in, although they had some careless turnovers this postseason it can easily be corrected.

Warriors were actually #15 in the NBA in turnover ratio which is pretty average.

Every game I've watched they've had a handful of silly turnovers.

It COULD be easily corrected but it hasn't been.

Simply I haven't seen this team get to a point that the Spurs team did and stay there like they did.

I think we all agree that a Spurs/Warriors series from this season would have been the best matchup for the Warriors. That's pretty telling since this Spurs team is nowhere near how good they were last playoffs.

1987_Lakers
05-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Simply I haven't seen this team get to a point that the Spurs team did and stay there like they did.

They dominated the Finals, but they got taken to 7 games in the first round and they were 2-2 against OKC with Ibaka in the lineup. Spurs didn't really dominate on their way to the Finals, lets see how Golden State does.

livinglegend
05-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Spurs peaked at the right time.
But if we look at the whole picture, as of right now, Warriors have been better.

1987_Lakers
05-28-2015, 02:01 AM
Clips-112.4 ORTG
Warriors-111.6 ORTG

not arguing about defense, GS is clearly the best. Ron Adams, Bogut, Draymond, Iggy, Klay, Livingston, Ezeli. Insane talent and great system that makes avg defenders even look good

What's the difference really? Being the #2 offense, #1 defense, and winning 67 games is historic stuff that you rarely see in the NBA. I think Jordan's Bulls are the only team to accomplish this. You can throw the '86 Celtics in there with their #1 defense and #3 offense.

Timmy D for MVP
05-28-2015, 02:04 AM
They dominated the Finals, but they got taken to 7 games in the first round and they were 2-2 against OKC with Ibaka in the lineup. Spurs didn't really dominate on their way to the Finals, lets see how Golden State does.

Well they did dominate past the first round. But it flourished in the Finals.

But to compare point differential and record in the playoff and the like is misleading because there was better competition for the Spurs last year. No one's fault, just how it is.

So we kind of have to just hypothetical it out. And I personally think the Spurs will would win head to head, and that they were to better team based on what I saw from them and what I see from this Warriors team.

I'm actually pretty bummed there has been no real challenge to this GSW team based on how the playoffs have unfolded. I think it's contributed to their occasional lack of sharpness.

bdreason
05-28-2015, 02:14 AM
H2H Series could go either way. I would lean towards the Spurs. If Warriors had HCA it's a toss up.

As far as who was the better team, I think it's close. I like the balance and experience of the Spurs, but I think the Warriors are more talented. Again, if we're talking about a playoff series, I'm going with experience.

If we're talking about who had the better season, I think it's the Warriors (so far). More regular season wins and statistical dominance over the league. More convincing in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs as well.

houston
05-28-2015, 02:30 AM
no they were not

SCdac
05-28-2015, 02:38 AM

The Spurs demolished the Mavs in Game 7, it wasn't even close. and one of the Mavs wins came off an incredible game winning shot by Vince Carter, not a resounding win I'd say. "Practically eliminated" isn't accurate at all, Mavs sputtered out in the first round while awaking a sleeping giant.

Cleverness
05-28-2015, 02:43 AM

This.:applause:

Genaro
05-28-2015, 03:26 AM
Let's see what happens in the Finals. Warriors could very well lose it and this comparative would seem idiotic.
What I can tell is that so far (regular season + first 3 rounds) the Warriors did better. The fact that the Spurs took a giant dump on the Heat in the finals got people impressed but their 3 first rounds weren't dominant like that. To be honest at the time there were a lot of people picking the Heat to win, myself included.