PDA

View Full Version : Is Thompson a better rebounder than Love?

oarabbus
05-28-2015, 04:11 PM
People are making rodman comparisons, Reggie mentioned how the "Love injury is unfortunate but has given Cleveland an edge in defense and rebounding"

It's almost hard to believe Cleveland has lost a guy who is a career 12RPG guy. Or were the stats empty?

LBJ 23
05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
he is.

I can't think of 1 game when Cavs won because of Love's rebounding. I can think of several when it comes to Thompson....

Solefade
05-28-2015, 04:14 PM
pretty obvious that TT is a pretty special and unique rebounder

oarabbus
05-28-2015, 04:15 PM
pretty obvious that TT is a pretty special and unique rebounder

Same words you heard about Love prior to the last couple weeks, though.

RedBlackAttack
05-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Love is a fantastic defensive rebounder. TT is a fantastic offensive rebounder. They're completely different in their approach. Both are elite rebounders in the league.

That's why they played so well together this year (something I'm sure Reggie Miller has no clue about). It's not like the Cavs found out something they didn't already know with TT when Love went down. It's just that everyone else is starting to finally see it.

Guys that are this good at getting offensive rebounds are pretty rare in the NBA. If you can land one, it can cover up a lot of other deficiencies. More possessions = much greater chance of winning.

MP.Trey
05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Love is a fantastic defensive rebounder. TT is a fantastic offensive rebounder. They're completely different in their approach. Both are elite rebounders in the league.

That's why they played so well together this year (something I'm sure Reggie Miller has no clue about). It's not like the Cavs found out something they didn't already know with TT when Love went down. It's just that everyone else is starting to finally see it.

Guys that are this good at getting offensive rebounds, though, are pretty rare in the NBA. If you can land one, it can cover up a lot of other deficiencies. More possessions = much greater chance of winning.
This is pretty much how I look at it. I hesitate to say TT is a better rebounder than Love, but I do think his skillset is more rare/valuable, when it comes to rebounding.

MP.Trey
05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Btw, Andy V is a pretty f*cking good rebounder too when healthy.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-28-2015, 04:29 PM

STACKED gonna STACKED.

ISHGoat
05-28-2015, 04:30 PM
offensive rebounds > defensive rebounds

give me christian

RedBlackAttack
05-28-2015, 05:16 PM
A couple of years ago Andy was a historically great rebounder. It was the season they found the blood clot in his lung and that sidelined him for most of the season.

But, in the games he played prior to the health scare, Varejao was averaging 5.5 offensive rebounds a game (14.4 total rebounds per game, btw).

That is more rebounds per game than any player has averaged since a prime Dennis Rodman. Now, Andy only played 25 games that season, so it is unclear if he could have kept it going for 60+ games over a full season ... but that isn't exactly a small sample size either.

Before the last couple of seasons when Andre Drummond started putting up crazy rebounding averages, no one had even come close to averaging 5 offensive rebounds a game in the previous decade ... basically since Rodman.

So, yeah... I think it is safe to say that if Andy is able to come back and still be the guy we've come accustomed to seeing over the last few years, he is an elite rebounder in the NBA.

In fact, Tristan, Varejao and Love are all three elite rebounders. And then we have a 7-footer in Mozgov and LeBron who is still probably the best rebounding SF in the NBA.

Crazy rebounding. Only so many to go around, though. :oldlol:

They'll probably all average around 5-8 a game simply because of the competition to secure one.

Derka
05-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Its gonna be something to see when Varejao comes back. That dude's nose for rebounds is scary.

dubeta
05-28-2015, 05:47 PM
LOL, what happened to Loves offensive rebounding? He barely gets any compared to Minny.

scm5
05-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Yup. Love = overrated sack of dog excrement. Cavs are better off without that fool (btw, been saying this for a minute now).

They definitely look better with Tristan Thompson than Love. Worlds better defensively and Love's offensive skillset isn't as needed with JR playing the way he is.

RedBlackAttack
05-28-2015, 05:56 PM
LOL, what happened to Loves offensive rebounding? He barely gets any compared to Minny.
Tough to get offensive rebounds when you're playing 25 feet from the basket.

They definitely look better with Tristan Thompson than Love. Worlds better defensively and Love's offensive skillset isn't as needed with JR playing the way he is.

I don't understand this sentiment. They looked really freaking good playing together, which they did a lot... Love and Tristan were on the court together at the end of pretty much every game in the last few months. Having both is better than having one.

It's just that people are finally starting to recognize how important TT is to this team.

navy
05-28-2015, 06:06 PM
:no:

The difference in defense would be from Lebron playing the 4 and not Love. TT has been playing center most of his minutes like he did in the regular season.

buddha
05-28-2015, 06:18 PM
yes. Love statpads to get his rebounds, he wont constest a shot just so he can quickly turn around to look for a rebound. Thompson is just pure hustle and effort.