PDA

View Full Version : Trade Scenario: Harrison Barnes and David Lee for 5th pick

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Assuming the Knicks take Mudiay/Russell this would make sense for the Warriors. Curry, Klay, Green, and Bogut are their main players. The problem is Bogut is old and injury prone. WCS would be a great fit for the dubs. He could backup Bogut and eventually take over for him. Dumping Lee a year early means comfortably re-signing Green. In 2016 they would still have max cap space for Durant with the cap increasing.

The Magic get a very good young proven SF in Barnes and a stop gap all star PF with an expiring contract in Lee. Maybe the Warriors could sweeten the deal with a future 1st rounder as well. If they retain Harris they could just move him to PF.

qrich
05-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Warriors would need to add quite a bit.

ralph_i_el
05-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Why would they want David Lee?

And the 5th pick is worth more than Barnes straight up. Draft Justice Winslow with the 5th pick if you want a 3

Levity
05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Draft Justice Winslow with the 5th pick if you want a 3

yup

HurricaneKid
05-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Assuming the Knicks take Mudiay/Russell this would make sense for the Warriors. Curry, Klay, Green, and Bogut are their main players. The problem is Bogut is old and injury prone. WCS would be a great fit for the dubs. He could backup Bogut and eventually take over for him. Dumping Lee a year early means comfortably re-signing Green. In 2016 they would still have max cap space for Durant with the cap increasing.

The Magic get a very good young proven SF in Barnes and a stop gap all star PF with an expiring contract in Lee. Maybe the Warriors could sweeten the deal with a future 1st rounder as well. If they retain Harris they could just move him to PF.

Lee is making 15M and was overtaken by Speights, Ezeli, et al. They dumped 2 #1s just to get rid of the salaries of Biedrins and RJ. You think they are going to actually GET something of significant value for arguably the worst contract in the NBA?

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Lee is making 15M and was overtaken by Speights, Ezeli, et al. They dumped 2 #1s just to get rid of the salaries of Biedrins and RJ. You think they are going to actually GET something of significant value for arguably the worst contract in the NBA?

He has an expiring contract and can still be an 18 and 10 guy in the East. The best the Warriors can offer would be Barnes, Lee, Ezeli, and a future 1st. Probably not enough. I guess I'm overvaluing Barnes and undervaluing Winslow.

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 02:09 PM

And the 5th pick is worth more than Barnes straight up. Draft Justice Winslow with the 5th pick if you want a 3

Honestly I haven't watched that much of Winslow. I might be undervaluing him and overvaluing Barnes.

ralph_i_el
05-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Honestly I haven't watched that much of Winslow. I might be undervaluing him and overvaluing Barnes.

Barnes is a decent athlete and a good jump shooter

Winslow is a great athlete, decent all-around offensive player, and complete hound on defense.

Barnes ceiling: Loul Deng

Winslow Ceiling: James Harden with defense and less shooting.

el gringos
05-29-2015, 02:17 PM
I think Barnes has a lot of value. Enough to get a team to take on lee. Just not enough for that and a high pick.

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
I'll ask a better question then. How far can WCS slip and which team in the top 10 would be interested in a package centered around Barnes?

ImKobe
05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
No way the Warriors are going to trade one of their starters who has been solid all season and is only going to improve at 22 years old....just so they can draft an unproven player

on the flipside, why would Orlando take on David Lee's expiring and Harrison Barnes, when they have a future star player in Tobias Harris, who is a 3..

Neither team needs this trade. Warriors sure ain't going to try trading one of their key players after their championship. I see them dumping him to Philly for some 2nd rounders, maybe Boston gives up the late 1st rounder they got from the Clippers.

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
No way the Warriors are going to trade one of their starters who has been solid all season and is only going to improve at 22 years old....just so they can draft an unproven player

on the flipside, why would Orlando take on David Lee's expiring and Harrison Barnes, when they have a future star player in Tobias Harris, who is a 3..

Neither team needs this trade. Warriors sure ain't going to try trading one of their key players after their championship. I see them dumping him to Philly for some 2nd rounders, maybe Boston gives up the late 1st rounder they got from the Clippers.

I would give up Barnes for WCS. Bogut is old and injury prone.

HurricaneKid
05-29-2015, 02:26 PM
He has an expiring contract and can still be an 18 and 10 guy in the East. The best the Warriors can offer would be Barnes, Lee, Ezeli, and a future 1st. Probably not enough. I guess I'm overvaluing Barnes and undervaluing Winslow.

No he can't. And he is among the worst defenders in the NBA. His contract pays him ~10M too much this year. They would need to dump another two #1s to get rid of him and you magically have them getting back a top 5 pick. The difference between those two points is a superstar. Prime Ray Allen was traded for #4. You have Barnes in his spot PLUS the other side eating 10M in salary. And I'd argue #5 this year is a far better prospect than Jeff Green was back then.

You are so far out of the ballpark its unreal.

DMAVS41
05-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Don't think this makes a ton of sense....but it's fun to think about regardless.

I think it would have to be something like Barnes, Lee, and 2 first rounders for Frye, Gordon, 5th pick

I don't know the pick situation for the Warriors, but I vaguely remember them making a trade that sent a first rounder to Utah iirc.

Like I said...doesn't make sense really, but maybe I could talk myself into shedding Lee and adding Frye on a good contract while adding the 5th pick with Gordon on a 1 year deal as they'd have to pick up his option to make the deal work.

The Magic can get rid of the Frye contract (although I actually like it) and add a proven legit NBA player that is only 22 and will be better than the 5th pick for at least the next 2 years and you know you aren't getting a bust. Add in 2 first rounders, even if they are late in the round...not bad

So...

Lee's expiring, Barnes, and 2 first rounders for the 5th pick and the ability to shed Frye

Not the worst deal ever actually.

ImKobe
05-29-2015, 02:35 PM
I would give up Barnes for WCS. Bogut is old and injury prone.

Why would the Warriors trade anyone in their starting 5 after a championship run? It's not like they're an old team and going on their last run, they are just getting started.

If they somehow lose the Finals, I might entertain that gamble, but if I'm the GM of the Warriors after a championship run, I'm dumping David Lee to Philly or Boston for a late 1st or an early 2nd round pick and find some talent there.

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Why would the Warriors trade anyone in their starting 5 after a championship run? It's not like they're an old team and going on their last run, they are just getting started.

If they somehow lose the Finals, I might entertain that gamble, but if I'm the GM of the Warriors after a championship run, I'm dumping David Lee to Philly or Boston for a late 1st or an early 2nd round pick and find some talent there.

I just don't trust Bogut's health.

UK2K
05-29-2015, 05:18 PM
David Lee is old and not worth his contract.

Barnes is not worth the #5 pick.

NBAplayoffs2001
05-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Knicks seem to favor Winslow over Mudiay. Although, I disagree I think Winslow will be gone by pick #4.

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 05:25 PM
David Lee is old and not worth his contract.

Barnes is not worth the #5 pick.

What pick is Barnes worth? Is it high enough for WCS?

NBAplayoffs2001
05-29-2015, 05:26 PM
What pick is Barnes worth? Is it high enough for WCS?

Barnes is an enigma. I think if given the reigns for a team earlier in his career, he could have developed into a great 2nd option.

Clyde
05-29-2015, 05:28 PM

I pray every night this happens

Ca$H
05-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Barnes is an enigma. I think if given the reigns for a team earlier in his career, he could have developed into a great 2nd option.

He is young. He still can.

ALBballer
05-29-2015, 05:55 PM

Because of the salary cap. Warriors are at 78 million next year and if they want to keep Green they will have to move Lee (or even Iguodala) or pay a substantial amount of luxury tax.

Bottom line is Lee contract needs to be moved. I think they should be able to find a team to take on Lee's contract.

NugzFan
05-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Orlando hangs up quickly.