PDA

View Full Version : How the Lakers can Construct a Championship Contender and Maintain Future Flexibility

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Some people are wondering how the Lakers can construct a contender with Kobe's last year with the Lakers approaching and still maintain future flexibility to sign Kevin Durant or Russell Westbrook once they hit free agency. Well it's definitely possible. Below are my ideas:

1) Lakers S&T Jordan Hill to the Pacers for George Hill. George has 2 years/8 mill per remaining on his contract which frees up the same year that former UCLA Russell Westbrook becomes a free agent. George brings veteran experience, great 3pt shooting, good ball handing and solid defense needed to mentor the younger Clarkson.

2) Lakers sign Jahil Okafor or Karl Anthony Towns with #2 draft pick.

3) Lakers sign Jimmy Buter or Kawhi Leonard to max offer sheet expecting either the Bulls or Spurs not to match.

4) Lakers resign Ed Davis, Tarid Black and Wayne Ellington.

5) Lakers sign Tom Thibodeau as a defensive assistant coach

PG: George Hill (8) | Jordan Clarkson (800k)
SG: Kobe Bryant (25) | Nick Young (5.2) | Wayne Ellington (1)
SF: Jimmy Butler (16.6) | Ryan Kelly (1.7)
PF: Julius Randle (3.1) | Ed Davis (1.1)
C: Jahil Okafor (5) | | Tarid Black (1)

2015-16 salary cap projected at 67 mill and the Lakers still have their 27th and 34th picks to fill out the roster.

Coaching philosophy:
Byron Scott implements triangle offense with Tom Thibodeau orchestrating the defense ala 07-10 Celtics.
Okafor plays the Pau Gasol post scoring role.
Randle plays the versatile Lamar Odom role of a rebounding/ball handling PF.
Butler plays the Trevor Ariza/Ron Artest defensive stopper and role and also being the 1st/2nd/3rd scorer.
Kobe being Kobe.
Hill playing the Derek Fisher role.
Boasted bench with Clarkson/Young running showtime break and Davis/Black as workhorses on the glass.

How far would this team go? What do you guys think?

Asiantastic
05-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Would be amazing, but extremely unrealistic.

1. Kobe is no longer Kobe. He won't average 28-30 PPG anymore and can't lead the team on that same level.

2. Okafor and Randle need time to develop.

3. Thibodeau will probably want a head coaching job. I don't really see him dropping down to an assistant right away.

4. No Phil + No Tex + No Shaw + No Rambis = No functional triangle

Pipe dream

ISHGoat
05-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Amnesty kobe

fragokota
05-31-2015, 03:27 PM
1. How on earth can you believe that Bulls won't match for Butler?

2. Thibs isn't going to accept a job being an assistant coach

3. Let it go...

YouGotServed
05-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Lakers, contender? These lottery kids running rampant all over the forum. :facepalm

Mods.

Fallen Angel
05-31-2015, 03:39 PM
These lottery children talking about championship? :facepalm

Mods.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Would be amazing, but extremely unrealistic.

1. Kobe is no longer Kobe. He won't average 28-30 PPG anymore and can't lead the team on that same level.

2. Okafor and Randle need time to develop.

3. Thibodeau will probably want a head coaching job. I don't really see him dropping down to an assistant right away.

4. No Phil + No Tex + No Shaw + No Rambis = No functional triangle

Pipe dream

1. Agreed, he probably won't average 28-30 per season anymore but he would have Jimmy Butler and Jahil Okafor to shoulder the load. They have proven to be more than capable scorers for a nice 1/2/3 punch.

2. Agreed, but I see Okafor coming in and putting up a double/double right away. He has an NBA ready offensive game.

3. We don't know for sure what he wants. He's still getting paid by the Bulls for the next 2 years so maybe he wants to take a back seat.

4. Disagree. Byron Scott is another proponent of the triangle and has played in the system during his showtime Laker days with Magic and Kareem.

Bandito
05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
After Kobe retires maybe if they sign Westbrook, they might be able to win in 2018 or later bar injuries depending on who's the coach or starter PG.

kamil
05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
Another entitled Lakers fan.

:facepalm

T_L_P
05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
As if the Pacers are gonna give up an arguably top 10 PG for Jordan fcking Hill. What the fck bro. :oldlol:

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 04:13 PM
As if the Pacers are gonna give up an arguably top 10 PG for Jordan fcking Hill. What the fck bro. :oldlol:

Hill is a Top 10 PG? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Curry
Rose
Cp3
Westbrook
Lowry
Wall
Irving
Conley
Parker
Teague
Bledsoe
Dragic
Thomas
Lawson

That's already 14 PGs better than Hill and that's just off the top of my head. Thanks for playing :oldlol:

T_L_P
05-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Hill is a Top 10 PG? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Curry
Rose
Cp3
Westbrook
Lowry
Wall
Irving
Conley
Parker
Teague
Bledsoe
Dragic
Thomas
Lawson

That's already 14 PGs better than Hill and that's just off the top of my head. Thanks for playing :oldlol:

:roll:

The Pacers were 27-16 with Hill in the lineup this season (11-28 without him). That's a 51 win pace without their best player (Paul George).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=hillge01&y1=2015&p2=parketo01&y2=2015&p3=rosede01&y3=2015&p4=&p5=&p6=

Hill played less games than both of them this season but had more Win Shares, a much higher PER, a much higher WS/48, a much better Box +/- (Rose and Parker are both in the negatives whereas Hill is top 5 in the stat for PGs).

2nd in PPG of that group, 1st in RPG/APG/SPG/BPG, least Turnovers, 1st in TS%.

Parker was literally the worst player in the entire league this postseason. Rose at this point is nothing more than a mediocre guard who still takes as many shots as a star.

Get real. :oldlol:

You have 12 there (the only 12), and Hill has arguments over a handful of them.

So yes, he is arguably a top 10 PG.

Still, you still haven't answered why the Pacers would even think about this. Jordan Hill is basically a scrub. What good does this trade do for Indiana?

fragokota
05-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Still, you still haven't answered why the Pacers would even think about this. Jordan Hill is basically a scrub. What good does this trade do for Indiana?

Nothing, it'll be just a little gift from Larry to his beloved Lakers...

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 05:03 PM
:roll:

The Pacers were 27-16 with Hill in the lineup this season (11-28 without him). That's a 51 win pace without their best player (Paul George).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=hillge01&y1=2015&p2=parketo01&y2=2015&p3=rosede01&y3=2015&p4=&p5=&p6=

Hill played less games than both of them this season but had more Win Shares, a much higher PER, a much higher WS/48, a much better Box +/- (Rose and Parker are both in the negatives whereas Hill is top 5 in the stat for PGs).

2nd in PPG of that group, 1st in RPG/APG/SPG/BPG, least Turnovers, 1st in TS%.

Parker was literally the worst player in the entire league this postseason. Rose at this point is nothing more than a mediocre guard who still takes as many shots as a star.

Get real. :oldlol:

You have 12 there (the only 12), and Hill has arguments over a handful of them.

So yes, he is arguably a top 10 PG.

If you think George Hill is better than Derrick Rose and Tony Parker, there's nothing I need to convince you of.

TheGreatDeraj
05-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Some people are wondering how the Lakers can construct a contender with Kobe's last year with the Lakers approaching and still maintain future flexibility to sign Kevin Durant or Russell Westbrook once they hit free agency. Well it's definitely possible. Below are my ideas:

1) Lakers S&T Jordan Hill to the Pacers for George Hill. George has 2 years/8 mill per remaining on his contract which frees up the same year that former UCLA Russell Westbrook becomes a free agent. George brings veteran experience, great 3pt shooting, good ball handing and solid defense needed to mentor the younger Clarkson.

3) Lakers sign Jimmy Buter or Draymond Green to max offer sheet expecting either the Bulls or Warriors not to match.

2015-16 salary cap projected at 67 mill and the Lakers still have their 27th and 34th picks to fill out the roster.

Coaching philosophy:
Byron Scott implements triangle offense with Tom Thibodeau orchestrating the defense ala 07-10 Celtics.
Butler plays the Trevor Ariza/Ron Artest defensive stopper and role and also being the 1st/2nd/3rd scorer.
Kobe being Kobe.
Boasted bench with Clarkson/Young running showtime break and Davis/Black as workhorses on the glass.

Couple things...

1) Clarkson > George Hill. Clarkson has tons of potential and needs playing time.

2) Lakers need Towns. Towns is legit. Okafor is questionable on defense and from the FT line. If not Towns, perhaps they they should take Russell or Mudiay and try to sign Marc Gasol.

Clarkson/Mudiay
Russell/Clarkson
Kobe
Randle
Gasol

What do you think?

3) Neither Butler nor Green is leaving

4) sure, none of these players has a future in LA imo. Maybe Ed Davis off bench.

5) I doubt Thibodeau would go back to being assistant.

6) Byron Scott did not play in the Triangle in LA. Showtime Lakers ran a fast paced offense based around Magic/Kareem. The triangle was introduced to LA when Phil Jackson became the coach in 2000.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 05:18 PM
1. How on earth can you believe that Bulls won't match for Butler?

2. Thibs isn't going to accept a job being an assistant coach

3. Let it go...

Bulls have been known to be cheap in the past. If the Lakers structure the contract offer for Butler properly, they can cripple the Bulls financial flexibility. Similar to how Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin's contracts were set up. I wouldn't say it is impossible. How do you know what Thibs won't do? Money is money.

Genaro
05-31-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't know what is worse in this thread:
- OP thinking Bulls or Warriors won't match
- OP thinking Hill and his 9M has some market value (BTW we won't pick his option)
- The retard guy who thinks George Hill is a top 10 PG
- YGS for existing.

Cocaine80s
05-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Somehow i see that team still competing for the lottery :oldlol:

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Somehow i see that team still competing for the lottery :oldlol:

Sorry you didn't have a chance to watch the 07-10 Lakers. Fun team to watch compete for championships.

Jameerthefear
05-31-2015, 05:24 PM
man this was a dumb post

MEB2kDeez
05-31-2015, 05:25 PM
I wish lol

IncarceratedBob
05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Lmao when the **** did the notion that George Hill is a good basketball player come about? As a Laker fan I want nothing to do with that scrub. We already have Clarkson who's better anyway

Hardjelly
05-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Bulls will pay Butler and Thibs as an assistant coach? Come on he's better than that.

navy
05-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Lakers fans are new to this lottery thing.

Rookies need time to develop, lol at contending with rooks and injured sophomores at the front court. 3-5 years from now? Could be the best in the league.

Now? Haha

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Couple things...

1) Clarkson > George Hill. Clarkson has tons of potential and needs playing time.

2) Lakers need Towns. Towns is legit. Okafor is questionable on defense and from the FT line. If not Towns, perhaps they they should take Russell or Mudiay and try to sign Marc Gasol.

Clarkson/Mudiay
Russell/Clarkson
Kobe
Randle
Gasol

What do you think?

3) Neither Butler nor Green is leaving

4) sure, none of these players has a future in LA imo. Maybe Ed Davis off bench.

5) I doubt Thibodeau would go back to being assistant.

6) Byron Scott did not play in the Triangle in LA. Showtime Lakers ran a fast paced offense based around Magic/Kareem. The triangle was introduced to LA when Phil Jackson became the coach in 2000.

1. You could be right, but Lakers still need at least 2 PGs. Right now they only have Clarkson on the roster. A proven veteran like Hill could go a long way to developing Clarkson.

2. It's really not in the Laker's choice who they draft at #2 considering the draft boards put Towns and Okafor as top 2 consensus. It's up to Minnesota since they have the first pick. Hopefully whoever they get, Okafor or Towns will pan out into an all star calibur big cornerstone for the Lakers.

I'm not opposed to Marc Gasol but he's already 30 years old and not sure he would come to the Lakers after what happened with his brother Pau. Not sold on Mudiay at all. Dude played in a Chinese league. 40 year old past his prime Marbury was dropping 30 points a game in the Chinese league.

3. You're probably right. Can't see GS letting Green walk after they made it to the finals and Butler being let go after such a breakout year, but there's a chance and the Lakers have to try.

4. These are key role players. We need all 3.

5. We'll see what he does. He's still getting paid money for not coaching this year.

6. My mistake. Didn't realize that. Thanks for clarifying.

longtime lurker
05-31-2015, 06:14 PM

Jordan Hill sucks balls and any team that wants him could just sign him outright instead of giving up any value for him.

Sure.

3) Lakers sign Jimmy Buter or Draymond Green to max offer sheet expecting either the Bulls or Warriors not to match.
No way in hell that Butler and Green aren't matched. This is delusion at its finest.

This could definitely happen but I don't know why the Lakers would do it.

This could possibly happen.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Jordan Hill sucks balls and any team that wants him could just sign him outright instead of giving up any value for him.

Jordan Hill is one of the NBA's best offensive rebounders and given playing time, consistently put up double doubles for the Lakers last season. Mobile big that can rebound, hustle and hit the midrange jumper are a commodity in this league. He's like Taj Gibson/Kenneth Faried/Tristan Thompson 2.0. I realize any team could outright sign him, but he could help the Lakers by participating in a S&T with one of their draft picks to entice the Pacers to give up George Hill and his remaining 2 years 8 mill contract.

No way in hell that Butler and Green aren't matched. This is delusion at its finest.

Chase Budinger was not matched last season by Houston. Tyson Chandler walked after Mavs won a championship in '11. Anything can happen.

Springsteen
05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Lakers sign Tom Thibodeau as a defensive assistant coach

http://www.asianjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/StephenSmithROFL.gif

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Lmao when the **** did the notion that George Hill is a good basketball player come about? As a Laker fan I want nothing to do with that scrub. We already have Clarkson who's better anyway

Clarkson may be better, but the Lakers only have 1 PG on the roster as it currently stands. A more proven veteran PG to start would do good for the 2nd year Clarkson.

qrich
05-31-2015, 08:09 PM
1] Pacers aren't going to trade George Hill for Jordan Hill, that is delusional. Lakers would need to add Clarkson and/or #27 for the Pacers to listen, and I doubt Indiana does it unless it's both of those two. Hill was huge for the Pacers and led them well while healthy, would've been the 6th seed had he not gotten hurt, and this is all without Paul George.

2] That is obvious.

3] Good luck on either side not matching. Bulls won't let Butler walk free, and the W's will find a way to keep Draymond, though, I don't believe either are worth the absolute max.

4] Davis is going to want something near the MLE, he won't sign for the vet minimum.

5] Tom T will not step down to an assistant role, if he does, Doc would be the first one to call him and I'm sure he'd prefer that.

ILLsmak
05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
I never thought about LA getting Thibs tho... even tho it has nothing to do with the topic, I think they should try. Of course they gotta get rid of Bscott first.

-Smak

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
1] Pacers aren't going to trade George Hill for Jordan Hill, that is delusional. Lakers would need to add Clarkson and/or #27 for the Pacers to listen, and I doubt Indiana does it unless it's both of those two. Hill was huge for the Pacers and led them well while healthy, would've been the 6th seed had he not gotten hurt, and this is all without Paul George.

LOL Clarkson has way more potential than George Hill at this point in their careers. All it would take is one of those draft picks packaged with Jordan Hill, who is one of the best rebounding big men in this league.

3] Good luck on either side not matching. Bulls won't let Butler walk free, and the W's will find a way to keep Draymond, though, I don't believe either are worth the absolute max.

Doesn't matter what we think. There's a chance those teams won't match. Maybe not a good chance, but it can happen.

qrich
05-31-2015, 08:34 PM
LOL Clarkson has way more potential than George Hill at this point in their careers. All it would take is one of those draft picks packaged with Jordan Hill, who is one of the best rebounding big men in this league.

Clarkson has more potential than Chris Paul does as well! Potential means very little, and while Clarkson had a superb season, Hill is well proven and still has about five years left in him. Dude was amazing for the Pacers last year and is probably the most underrated guard in the league.

I mean, Al Thornton, after his rookie season, was amazing and showed potential, we see how he fell. That's just off the top of my head.

Jordan Hill really has no value, he's a MMLE kind of guy and a fourth big option on a contending side. Not sure how much Indiana would value #27 either since that is two years of guarantee.

Doesn't matter what we think. There's a chance those teams won't match. Maybe not a good chance, but it can happen.

It is as likely as Jordan becoming a 75% free throw shooter next year. Plus, if Draymond leaves to an inferior team, why the Lakers over home state Detroit, for example?

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Clarkson has more potential than Chris Paul does as well! Potential means very little, and while Clarkson had a superb season, Hill is well proven and still has about five years left in him. Dude was amazing for the Pacers last year and is probably the most underrated guard in the league.

I mean, Al Thornton, after his rookie season, was amazing and showed potential, we see how he fell. That's just off the top of my head.

Jordan Hill really has no value, he's a MMLE kind of guy and a fourth big option on a contending side. Not sure how much Indiana would value #27 either since that is two years of guarantee.

It is as likely as Jordan becoming a 75% free throw shooter next year. Plus, if Draymond leaves to an inferior team, why the Lakers over home state Detroit, for example?

Hill is an MLE kind of guy, not MMLE. He puts up 12/8 in 26 minutes of playing time. Give him minutes and he's a 16/10 player easily. Plus he's 27. George Hill is nearly 30 years old, coming off of an injury. Indy can take #27 or #34. With the departure of Scola and the inconsistency of Hibbert, they need another good big man to pick up the slack.

What does DeAndre Jordan's FT % have anything to do with the Bulls or Warriors matching offers? I've heard that Draymond has been a Lakers and Kobe fan since 2010. Apparently you haven't been following the news.

qrich
05-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Hill is an MLE kind of guy, not MMLE. He puts up 12/8 in 26 minutes of playing time. Give him minutes and he's a 16/10 player easily. Plus he's 27. George Hill is nearly 30 years old, coming off of an injury. Indy can take #27 or #34. With the departure of Scola and the inconsistency of Hibbert, they need another good big man to pick up the slack.

What does DeAndre Jordan's FT % have anything to do with the Bulls or Warriors matching offers? I've heard that Draymond has been a Lakers and Kobe fan since 2010. Apparently you haven't been following the news.

He put up 12/8 on a team without any other rebounders, also lacking scorers. His defense is lackadaisical as well. Fourth big on a contender is around where he ranks, and that isn't worth the full mid level.

George may be near 30, but that means very little, as he still has around five years remaining, and was leading the Pacers on a 51-win pace prior to injury. That is just absurd considering his second options were David West and CJ Miles? With George coming back, I doubt the Pacers are scrambling to rebuild and dealing their starting point for scraps.

It's just the likelyness of it. Just because he's been a fan hardly means he'll sign there, for an inferior squad, over going home. Not many players sign with the teams they were "fans" of, for such a short period, over going home, or winning, especially when the home team offers the same amount and the winning team offers more.

bobopenguin
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM

1)explain why Pacers want Hill (with that salary) and in the same time willing to give up asset while they can just sign him straight.

2)yeah of course.

3).... stop taking drug.. both team will match the offer..they are no JLIN nor Asik.. Jimmy and Green are legit..

4) ED is MLE guy.. 1.1mil? and he already wants out.

5) Tom Thibodeau as a defensive assistant coach? :biggums:

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 09:14 PM
1)explain why Pacers want Hill (with that salary) and in the same time willing to give up asset while they can just sign him straight.

2)yeah of course.

3).... stop taking drug.. both team will match the offer..they are no JLIN nor Asik.. Jimmy and Green are legit..

4) ED is MLE guy.. 1.1mil? and he already wants out.

5) Tom Thibodeau as a defensive assistant coach? :biggums:

1. Because Lakers can throw in a good draft pick and Pacers can shed Hill's remaining 2 year contract at 8 mill a season

3. Not taking drugs

BigBoss
05-31-2015, 09:19 PM
Diehard Laker fan, but we'll be a playoff contender at best next season. Shooting for that 7th/8th seed. As critical as people are of the Lakers--Stephen A going as far as calling them the Knicks of the West---the Lakers are in good shape to be a contender in 2-3 seasons. We have 3 solid draft picks in: Randle, Clarkson, and Okafor. We MUST sign a big free agent to the max to this summer and shoot for another max in 2016. We're in a position to success if it's executed properly. We're not the Brooklyn Nets who F'd themselves over for a very long time. Jim Buss needs to go if the Lakers are not a Playoff team next year.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 09:22 PM
He put up 12/8 on a team without any other rebounders, also lacking scorers. His defense is lackadaisical as well. Fourth big on a contender is around where he ranks, and that isn't worth the full mid level.

Disagree. Jordan Hill is the first big off the bench on a contender. He's like Kenneth Faried (who's actually a starter). He's like Taj Gibson (3rd big off the bench for Chicago). That's worth at least the Mid level if not MORE in a league with not many good big men to begin with. Check out what those other bigs I just mentioned make and it's not even a question he would command more than the MLE today.

George may be near 30, but that means very little, as he still has around five years remaining, and was leading the Pacers on a 51-win pace prior to injury. That is just absurd considering his second options were David West and CJ Miles? With George coming back, I doubt the Pacers are scrambling to rebuild and dealing their starting point for scraps.

30 and coming off an injury means a lot, not something that should be ignored. Who are you to say that he has 5 years remaining at the same level? Plus his contract is at 2 years. No one's talking 5 years. You're failing to mention that the Pacers also had Rodney Stuckey who carried much of their scoring load.

It's just the likelyness of it. Just because he's been a fan hardly means he'll sign there, for an inferior squad, over going home. Not many players sign with the teams they were "fans" of, for such a short period, over going home, or winning, especially when the home team offers the same amount and the winning team offers more.

Again. There's no point to debate this. We don't know if Bulls or Golden State will match. There's a chance they do, there's a chance they don't. I already conceded that it was unlikely. But the Lakers still have to try.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Diehard Laker fan, but we'll be a playoff contender at best next season. Shooting for that 7th/8th seed. As critical as people are of the Lakers--Stephen A going as far as calling them the Knicks of the West---the Lakers are in good shape to be a contender in 2-3 seasons. We have 3 solid draft picks in: Randle, Clarkson, and Okafor. We MUST sign a big free agent to the max to this summer and shoot for another max in 2016. We're in a position to success if it's executed properly. We're not the Brooklyn Nets who F'd themselves over for a very long time. Jim Buss needs to go if the Lakers are not a Playoff team next year.

Jimmy Butler this offseason, Westbrook in 2 years, Durant the year after seems like a good plan

toxicxr6
05-31-2015, 10:02 PM
1. Because Lakers can throw in a good draft pick and Pacers can shed Hill's remaining 2 year contract at 8 mill a season

3. Not taking drugs

Why would the pacers want to shed the salary of a player that was their best this season? Who isn't getting the max and is one of their youngest?
Doesn't make any sense at all

And lol at Bulls or gsw not matching offers for butler or green.. You are an absolute fool if you think that is possible

qrich
05-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Disagree. Jordan Hill is the first big off the bench on a contender. He's like Kenneth Faried (who's actually a starter). He's like Taj Gibson (3rd big off the bench for Chicago). That's worth at least the Mid level if not MORE in a league with not many good big men to begin with. Check out what those other bigs I just mentioned make and it's not even a question he would command more than the MLE today.

Faried has also proven his play for a longer period of time, and had that amazing FIBA run to help his salary out. Gibson is a stout defender, as well as a solid rebounder and has more of an offensive game, to boot. Hill doesn't ave the value that those two carry.

30 and coming off an injury means a lot, not something that should be ignored. Who are you to say that he has 5 years remaining at the same level? Plus his contract is at 2 years. No one's talking 5 years. You're failing to mention that the Pacers also had Rodney Stuckey who carried much of their scoring load.

His play, as well, means a lot more to Indiana than a big like Hill. Stuckey was solid as well, but there is no reason a team relying on Stuckey-Hill-West-Miles for scoring and Hibbert as a defensive anchor should be on pace for 51 wins.

Again. There's no point to debate this. We don't know if Bulls or Golden State will match. There's a chance they do, there's a chance they don't. I already conceded that it was unlikely. But the Lakers still have to try.

There is more than just a chance that they will. The Bulls view Butler as a franchise player. The Warriors know they will lose a ton of intensity without Green, which is vital. This isn't Chase Budinger, who was far from these two. This also isn't Tyson Chandler and an owner who wanted to rebuild with hopes of 2010 free agency. Different situations.

Lakers should go for solid glue guys this summer hat won't tie up a ton of cap space and shoot for next years, vastly superior, free agency class. Guys like Danny Green, Jae Crowder, etc. If Rondo accepts around 6-7 mil for three years, that's good as well, but nothing more.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 10:28 PM
Why would the pacers want to shed the salary of a player that was their best this season? Who isn't getting the max and is one of their youngest?
Doesn't make any sense at all

And lol at Bulls or gsw not matching offers for butler or green.. You are an absolute fool if you think that is possible

George Hill is far from their youngest player. He's almost 30 years of age and coming off an injury. The Pacers shed his salary, pick up a promising and proven big man. Why is it foolish to think it's possible? Anything is possible. This has happened before. Restricted free agents sometimes move to different teams because for whatever reason the team decides not to match. It's not like it's unprecedented.

Legends66NBA7
05-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Make a complete commitment to rebuilding and then 3-5 years down the road the Lakers can be part of the conversation again.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Faried has also proven his play for a longer period of time, and had that amazing FIBA run to help his salary out. Gibson is a stout defender, as well as a solid rebounder and has more of an offensive game, to boot. Hill doesn't ave the value that those two carry.

He doesn't have the same value, but he's right beneath them. And they sure as hell don't make MinMLE type of money.

There is more than just a chance that they will. The Bulls view Butler as a franchise player. The Warriors know they will lose a ton of intensity without Green, which is vital. This isn't Chase Budinger, who was far from these two. This also isn't Tyson Chandler and an owner who wanted to rebuild with hopes of 2010 free agency. Different situations.

Again no one's arguing the chances. As long as there is a chance, the Lakers should do their part and submit their best offer. Butler and Green are heart of the team type of players. They are invaluable to any team.

Lakers should go for solid glue guys this summer hat won't tie up a ton of cap space and shoot for next years, vastly superior, free agency class. Guys like Danny Green, Jae Crowder, etc. If Rondo accepts around 6-7 mil for three years, that's good as well, but nothing more.

Rondo is a shell of his shelf after the knee injury. He also has attitude problems with coaching staffs as was seen in Boston and Dallas. On top of all that, he's a terrible shooter and would not fit as a starting PG on the Lakers.

Lakers don't just make moves to make moves. They make big moves and they make them when it counts. The Lakers don't want to be like the Clippers and end up with mediocre players like Austin Rivers, Hedo Turkoglu, and Glen Davis warming up the bench.

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Make a complete commitment to rebuilding and then 3-5 years down the road the Lakers can be part of the conversation again.

Building a championship roster isn't some sort of proven recipe process that every team needs to follow. The Lakers have proven that they can put together championship contention rosters in season's past in a matter of 1-2 seasons. They aren't the type of team to rebuild/retool through the draft over a period of 3-5 years. That's just not who they are as an organization.

TheMarkMadsen
05-31-2015, 10:49 PM
so many haters for such an innocent thread

yall are pathetic :roll: just the mere thought of lakers fans wanting their team to compete infuriates you :lol

http://www.sportsflagsandpennants.com/images_products/lakers_championship_banner_22975sma.jpg

stay mad little hoes

plowking
05-31-2015, 10:55 PM
so many haters for such an innocent thread

yall are pathetic :roll: just the mere thought of lakers fans wanting their team to compete infuriates you :lol

http://www.sportsflagsandpennants.com/images_products/lakers_championship_banner_22975sma.jpg

stay mad little hoes

A lot of those weren't even won in LA, yet you still act like it is relevant to the current Lakers. :oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
05-31-2015, 11:07 PM
A lot of those weren't even won in LA, yet you still act like it is relevant to the current Lakers. :oldlol:

big talk from somebody who roots for a team that has less championships than we do in the 2000's alone :roll:

keep cuckholding for bran tho **** boy :lol

Kobe has more rings than your entire franchise will ever have

gts
05-31-2015, 11:25 PM

Coaching philosophy:
Kobe being Kobe.

Damn OP having a lost weekend.. Time to stop drinking kid and get ready for the work week

BallsOut
05-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Damn OP having a lost weekend.. Time to stop drinking kid and get ready for the work week

You're right sir. My eyes are getting pretty red

YouGotServed
05-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Lottery kids in here writing paragraphs and shit. They're actually serious about this. :yaohappy:

longtime lurker
06-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Jimmy Butler this offseason, Westbrook in 2 years, Durant the year after seems like a good plan

:biggums:

What part of Jimmy Butler is a restricted free agent do you not understand?

Durant isn't coming unless we're already a playoff team. Same thing with Westbrook.

Legends66NBA7
06-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Building a championship roster isn't some sort of proven recipe process that every team needs to follow.

Never was implied.

The Lakers have proven that they can put together championship contention rosters in season's past in a matter of 1-2 seasons. They aren't the type of team to rebuild/retool through the draft over a period of 3-5 years. That's just not who they are as an organization.

That's when they signed prime Shaq and resigned prime Kobe. Lakers don't have talent like that to surround other pieces with. At least with the draft you can get young talent and keep them for another 7 years, especially since it is the Lakers.

Nobody realistic is going expect the Lakers contend in the short term no matter how many trades they can pull. This isn't the same crew running the old Laker teams either, so it's hard to see how they are going to be the same organization of years past.

BallsOut
06-06-2015, 05:03 PM

BallsOut
06-14-2015, 07:44 PM

:bowdown: Get it done Mitch

BallsOut
06-20-2015, 05:23 PM

:eek: :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
06-20-2015, 05:28 PM

I would like to know what his definition of a lot

Nastradamus
06-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Lol at Indy giving up their starting PG coming off his best year for a bum like Jordan Hill

Nastradamus
06-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Maybe

Trade 2 and 27 for 5 and Efrid Payton and 5(Russell would be awesome with Oladipo)

Draft Winslow at 5

Drop Jordan Hill(team option)

Re-up Ed Davis and Ellington

Sign Amir Johnson and Gallinari

Nick Young for Gerald Henderson

Fill out roster with vet min guys and 2ndrounder

Davis Sacre Black
Randle/Amir
Winslow Gallinari Henderson
Kobe Clarkston Ellington
Payton Clarkston

Clarkston's not a true PG IMO. More of a Monta. Let him be the 3rd guard for Kobe's last year, then start next year with Payton. You still have some cap flexibility for next year and you build around Payton,Clarkston,Randle,Winslow and to some degree Davis/Johnson.

BallsOut
06-21-2015, 05:18 PM
If they can't resign Davis, just get Upshaw with the 34th pick in this year's draft. Solid rim protection.