PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan playing horse in the 80's

PieceOfFelt
05-31-2015, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6srvMILQfRY

Some of those moves are pretty damn impressive. That white ****er I think is actor Elliot Gould, he was the main character in that movie marathon man.

jstern
06-01-2015, 07:12 AM
That was a pretty cool video.

sportjames23
06-01-2015, 07:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6srvMILQfRY

Some of those moves are pretty damn impressive. That white ****er I think is actor Elliot Gould, he was the main character in that movie marathon man.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/482038/that-boy-s-good-o.gif

SwayDizzle
06-01-2015, 07:32 AM
his airness

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Cool stuff, you can tell he really practiced those crazy ass moves you'd see on the court.

Marathon Man's main actor was Dustin Hoffman though, pretty good movie with some terrific actors.

3ball
06-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Cool stuff, you can tell he really practiced those crazy ass moves you'd see on the court.

I don't think the crazy shots around the rim are practiced other than goofing around horse-type stuff like what you see in the OP or with teammates.

shots around the rim are instinctive and the level of acrobatics depends on your athleticism and in-air creativity.. I think the only time these guys practice such in-air creativity is goofing around in warmups or with teammates.. I'm sure there are professional horse players or crazy shot makers that practice those shots though.

Asukal
06-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't think the crazy shots around the rim are practiced other than goofing around horse-type stuff like what you see in the OP or with teammates.

shots around the rim are instinctive and the level of acrobatics depends on your athleticism and in-air creativity.. I think the only time these guys practice such in-air creativity is goofing around in warmups or with teammates.. I'm sure there are professional horse players or crazy shot makers that practice those shots though.

He could do those moves because he practiced and mastered the fundamentals needed to make those kind of shots (i.e. basic layups, reverse layups, footwork, etc). So for you to say shots around the rim depends on your athleticism and in-air creativity is a dumb and uninformed opinion. STFU 3ball! :whatever:

OldSchoolBBall
06-01-2015, 03:53 PM
The circus shot at the 2:00 mark is INSANE. Just ridiculously good. Note that he doesn't touch the ball with his other hand at any point during the run-up or the shot. Incredible touch and control.

Then after that I like how he's casually hitting 30-40+ foot shots casually and wetting them lol. :roll:

catch24
06-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Cool video, and rare to boot.

Limited by time restraints, I might start upping some game footage again. :pimp:

sd3035
06-01-2015, 04:07 PM
The guy he was playing with would have been an MVP candidate in the 60s

KevinNYC
06-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Interviewer is Dick Van Patten of Eight is Enough

Elliot Gould was in the movie version of MASH before it became a TV show and recent in the Ocean's 11 movies.

My guess is the producer knew Gould. Gould is from Brooklyn not Chicago, so I can't understand why they chose him.

Straight_Ballin
06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Interviewer is Dick Van Patten of Eight is Enough

Elliot Gould was in the movie version of MASH before it became a TV show and recent in the Ocean's 11 movies.

My guess is the producer knew Gould. Gould is from Brooklyn not Chicago, so I can't understand why they chose him.

Inb4 some gen Z kid is like "what is 8 is enough"?
:lol

plowking
06-01-2015, 09:07 PM
How was he such a below average to average 3 point shooter for a large chunk of his career, and then he is swishing 35 footers here?

Take Your Lumps
06-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Inb4 some gen Z kid is like "what is 8 is enough"?
:lol

Iz dat a Kate plus 8 spin-off?

funnystuff
06-01-2015, 09:51 PM
MJ, the definition of the placebo effect created by the incredible up rise in media in the 20th century.:bowdown:

Look at the Beatles, hands down MEDIOCRE musical talent(drummer was utter TRASH) but hey they are considered GOAT simply because the media went crazy over "first true rock band".

Media, media, media, controlling the world(especially us naive Americans) since it ever existed.

andgar923
06-01-2015, 10:17 PM
MJ, the definition of the placebo effect created by the incredible up rise in media in the 20th century.:bowdown:

Look at the Beatles, hands down MEDIOCRE musical talent(drummer was utter TRASH) but hey they are considered GOAT simply because the media went crazy over "first true rock band".

Media, media, media, controlling the world(especially us naive Americans) since it ever existed.

:rolleyes:

Where's Kenneth when you need him?

Now THAT'S a troll.

OldSchoolBBall
06-01-2015, 10:55 PM
How was he such a below average to average 3 point shooter for a large chunk of his career, and then he is swishing 35 footers here?

No defense, no pressure (not that pressure ever bothered him much), and also by 1988 most of the few 3's he took were bailouts. He was probably a better 3-point shooter in isolation than numbers suggest before 1990, which was his first good year from deep.

funnystuff
06-01-2015, 11:06 PM
:rolleyes:

Where's Kenneth when you need him?

Now THAT'S a troll.
:roll:

Mentioning media never fails to rustle Jordan apostles.

scandisk_
06-01-2015, 11:17 PM

well no one's guarding him

jstern
06-01-2015, 11:57 PM

If you look at the stats Jordan shot like 30 threes per year. Mostly probably bailout shots 3 pointer. The in 89-90, the first season where he shot over 200 3 pointers in a season, he shot 38% or so. Better than all but one of Kobe Bryant's 19 seasons. Not including his rookie year with the short line.

I believe it's something similar to Bird. I haven't looked at the stats in years.

sportjames23
06-02-2015, 12:21 AM
:roll:

Mentioning media never fails to rustle Jordan apostles.

This board deserves a better class of troll.

clipps
06-02-2015, 05:17 AM

Practice vs in game situation while getting defended.

StephHamann
06-02-2015, 10:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYAHI6TrJQ&spfreload=1

greatest video on youtube?

dreamwarrior
06-02-2015, 06:08 PM
It has to do with mechanics IMO. Players in the past had some funky shooting mechanics, MJ included with the over the right shoulder slinging shots. They developed their style to suit shooting 2 pointers while totally ignoring the 3pt and long 2pt shots. Then you had guys like Reggie Miller come into the league with releases that put a little more energy behind the ball to give them more arc for long distance shots.