PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis vs Patrick Ewing

CJ Mustard
06-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Who's the better/more talented player? Davis obviously doesn't have the body of work that Ewing does, but his 2015 season is arguably better than any Ewing season. His PER blows any Ewing season out of the water. Hell, his second season PER is even higher than any Ewing season ever.

Davis will inevitably win at least one championship too, so he has Ewing beat there too. I'm probably gonna give the slight nod to Davis here as of now. By next season, he should comfortably surpass him.

Fire Colangelo
06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Who's the better/more talented player? Davis obviously doesn't have the body of work that Ewing does, but his 2015 season is arguably better than any Ewing season. His PER blows any Ewing season out of the water. Hell, his second season PER is even higher than any Ewing season ever.

Davis will inevitably win at least one championship too, so he has Ewing beat there too. I'm probably gonna give the slight nod to Davis here as of now. By next season, he should comfortably surpass him.

explain to me why?

Tarik One
06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
The bigger question is which one looks more like a primate? They both resemble them.

EDIT: I thought the title read "Antonio Davis"

AboutBuckets
06-01-2015, 10:46 AM

You can't really say this; how many times have we had bright young promising players that went on to dominate the league and end up ringless? Ewing, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, Nash, AI, people probably figured KD would have one by now, etc.

CJ Mustard
06-01-2015, 10:49 PM
explain to me why?
Because he's a transcendent player, and he'll peak once Lebron declines. If Stephen ****ing Curry is about to lead his team to a title in this era, I think it's a safe bet that Anthony Davis will at some point too barring a major injury.

lilteapot
06-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Because he's a transcendent player, and he'll peak once Lebron declines. If Stephen ****ing Curry is about to lead his team to a title in this era, I think it's a safe bet that Anthony Davis will at some point too barring a major injury.
Why are you saying "Stephen ****ing Curry" as if he was some scrub?

CJ Mustard
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Why are you saying "Stephen ****ing Curry" as if he was some scrub?
Curry's currently arguably a top 5 player in the league at his peak. AD will be the unquestioned best player in the game at his peak.

plowking
06-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Is Anthony Davis really that much better than Blake Griffin?

Legends66NBA7
06-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Because he's a transcendent player, and he'll peak once Lebron declines. If Stephen ****ing Curry is about to lead his to a title in this era, I think it's a safe bet that Anthony Davis will at some point too barring a major injury.

Steph Curry is very much a transcendent player too. Maybe he won't be as good as Davis at his peak (Curry hasn't peaked either IMO) but he is greatest 3 point shooter ever with great handles and decent court vision. He'd be great where ever you put him.

andgar923
06-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Ewing played in one of the greatest big men eras.

Who does Davis have to go up against? He's not tested.

miles berg
06-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Ewing controlled the game on both ends of the court.

No doubt Ewing.

Laker Logic
06-01-2015, 11:17 PM
I'd take Davis 10 out of 10 times - understanding that it is a bit early to make an ironclad argument for why that makes sense.

scandisk_
06-01-2015, 11:19 PM
If he peaks like Prime Admiral then we'll talk :banana:

Round Mound
06-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Ewing controlled the game on both ends of the court.

No doubt Ewing.

This!

ClipperRevival
06-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Ewing was great and at his peak, he gave you 28.6 ppg and 11rpg. Ewing had a great offensive game. But I think Davis will have a greater career because his raw, base talent is greater. Davis is KG type athlete in that he might be 6'11" but he has the coordination, mobility and athleticism of a guy around 6'7". He is much more fluid and much more explosive off the floor. He can impact the game in more ways. This guy is going to do big things. I think it's a given he'll eventually give you 25-27 ppg, 10-12 rpg and 2.5 - 3 bpg at an efficient level for the next 10 years.

imdaman99
06-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Ewing is someone you could run an offense through. AD is not someone that could, not yet.

AD is special at putting up numbers, and I have no doubt he will have better career numbers than Ewing. As for his impact on the court? Not as much.

There is no guarantee he will win a championship unless he signs to a stacked team. How much respect will we have for that?

inclinerator
06-01-2015, 11:29 PM
ad is so overrated

DonDadda59
06-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Davis has absolutely no argument right now but I'm like half a season away from becoming a full blown Davis stan. Kid keeps getting better every time I see him. Worked really hard to add that mid range jumper to his game. I think he also showed he has some dog in him in that GSW series after a shaky start. Hopefully the Pelicans front office gets their shit together and gets him better than the low IQ teammates he's stuck with now.

Laker Logic
06-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Ewing is someone you could run an offense through. AD is not someone that could, not yet.

AD is special at putting up numbers, and I have no doubt he will have better career numbers than Ewing. As for his impact on the court? Not as much.

There is no guarantee he will win a championship unless he signs to a stacked team. How much respect will we have for that?

Since Ewing never won a ring, I don't think Davis needs to win one to surpass him as a player. Granted that is a tall order, but Davis is a tall guy.

ClipperRevival
06-01-2015, 11:39 PM

The big question is obviously how good he can be offensively. Can you run your offense through him like you could with Ewing? As it stands, the way he plays without a full blow post game, he still gives you 24+ ppg. So just him being on the floor, he is able to get his via put backs, running the floor and hitting the midrange. If he can truly have his back to the basket when the D is set and is able to draw the double and find the open man or do serious damage if not doubled, he could give you 28ppg ish. I think he can. His midrange is already becoming a reliable weapon. The guy has touch and shot over 80% at the FT line.

The guy was blessed with the perfect basketball body. Tall, long and athletic.

sundizz
06-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Patrick Chewing from 25 to 34 missed only like 20 games total. That is ridiculous. In 10 season, out of 820 games he played 800. Let's see AD stay injury free that long first. That guy is constantly out thus far in his early career.

Additionally, in that 10 season stretch Chewing averaged about 24 ppg, 11 rpg, 3 bpg, 1 spg on 51%+ shooting.

He also played against some pretty damn good bruising competition and made the Knicks a household name, with some pretty subpar 2nd fiddles.

ClipperRevival
06-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Davis has absolutely no argument right now but I'm like half a season away from becoming a full blown Davis stan. Kid keeps getting better every time I see him. Worked really hard to add that mid range jumper to his game. I think he also showed he has some dog in him in that GSW series after a shaky start. Hopefully the Pelicans front office gets their shit together and gets him better than the low IQ teammates he's stuck with now.

His midrange is becoming a legit weapon. The guy has touch. He's already hitting over 80% at the FT.

And yeah, Davis doesn't need the best supporting cast to win. You obviously want to add a great wing player to compliment him.

Smoke117
06-01-2015, 11:42 PM
lol...that Anthony Davis is even in the same void of Patrick Ewing to some of you...shows how young you are. Pathetic.

plowking
06-01-2015, 11:49 PM
People really need to cut the crap with the "no good big men" this era.

DMC - 24/13
Gasol - 19/12
Vucevic - 19/12
Davis - 24/10
Aldridge - 23/10
Kanter - 19/11 with OKC

All these guys are young with the exception of Gasol too.

SHAQisGOAT
06-01-2015, 11:51 PM
PER :lol :rolleyes: Boil it down to that :facepalm Shit, you can't even compare it across eras but g'head...

Prime/peak Ewing gotta be one of the most underrated here, or even not just here... If you think Brow's as good (at least as of right now), you don't know what you're talking about; I'll leave it at that.

Round Mound
06-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Patrick Chewing from 25 to 34 missed only like 20 games total. That is ridiculous. In 10 season, out of 820 games he played 800. Let's see AD stay injury free that long first. That guy is constantly out thus far in his early career.

Additionally, in that 10 season stretch Chewing averaged about 24 ppg, 11 rpg, 3 bpg, 1 spg on 51%+ shooting.

He also played against some pretty damn good bruising competition and made the Knicks a household name, with some pretty subpar 2nd fiddles.

:applause:

boldarblood
06-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Ewing for now and it's not even close.

Like others have said, AD needs to play at a high level for 10+ years. He is completely capable of that, but he hasn't yet.

Ewing was awesome during a big man's era. AD has very little competition.

warriorfan
06-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Ewing at 27 years old put up

28.6 points / 11 reb / 2 ast / 1 stl / 4 blks per game on .599 TS% for a full 82 game season

That is some elite play on both ends of the floor. Anthony Davis hasn't shown us that sort of two way dominance yet. The scary thing about it is that Anthony Davis is only 22 years old. He is just a babe in terms of NBA big men. When Anthony Davis hits his prime he is going to surpass Ewing, he will be a force of nature.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-02-2015, 01:46 AM
1990 Ewing had a better offense and a much better defense

Angel Face
06-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Ewing is the better player and Davis hasn't fought a big man comparable to what Ewing faced. Nevertheless, when it's all said and done, I think Davis will have a better career but player wise, Ewing > Davis.

nzahir
06-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Well curry has the best supporting cast in the league atm; they have past all stars or near all stars on the freaking bench. And curry is top 5

bobeticus
06-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Ewing played in one of the greatest big men eras.

Who does Davis have to go up against? He's not tested.

This...

I remember his match up with Rik Smith... that was epic... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

bizil
06-02-2015, 04:41 AM
As of right now, it's Pat. The most valuable commodity historically in the sport is a dominant two way center. The kind of guys that can control the paint on both ends of the court. Once u couple that with Ewing's midrange shooting ability, it made him a true franchise player.

AD is the more versatile no doubt. And also a freakish athlete. He's really cut from that KG cloth in that sense. But I think AD also has the upside to dominate the paint from the PF position like Duncan. So the potential upside of AD is like a mix of KG and Timmy. EPIC SHIT!! But right now, I'm still giving Pat the edge.

Lebron23
06-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Ewing is getting disrespected in this forum. Ewing would have more All NBA First team appearance if he plays in this era.

Patrick Chewing
06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Uhh care to look at Ewing's 89-90 season??

How can you say that unless you're a homer for this guy?? Ewing was sick that season and Davis is yet to come close.

GTFO here clown.

Patrick Chewing
06-02-2015, 09:22 AM
This...

I remember his match up with Rik Smith... that was epic... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

His match-ups with Shaq were epic too. Look at the big men in the Ewing era:

Mourning
Mutombo
Smits
Robinson
O'Neal
Olajuwon

Cold soul
06-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Mourning
Mutombo
Smits
Robinson
O'Neal
Olajuwon

The golden age of centers crazy how many not just good but great players there was back then.

smoovegittar
06-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Davis has a long road ahead of him if you want comparisons to Ewing.

smoovegittar
06-02-2015, 05:04 PM
The golden age of centers crazy how many not just good but great players there was back then.

John Thompson of Hoya fame produced a few..

Laker Logic
06-02-2015, 06:47 PM

Mourning
Mutombo
Smits
Robinson
O'Neal
Olajuwon

There is no argument for Ewing being any higher than the 4th best big man on that list. As has been said, there's no argument today that AD is better than Ewing, but it's no stretch, given what he's shown already, to say AD has a very good chance to have a better career and become a better player than Ewing, the 4th best center in a good era for big men.

dgaras
06-02-2015, 07:03 PM
People really need to cut the crap with the "no good big men" this era.

DMC - 24/13
Gasol - 19/12
Vucevic - 19/12
Davis - 24/10
Aldridge - 23/10
Kanter - 19/11 with OKC

All these guys are young with the exception of Gasol too.

all players that dont bruise down low like

Mourning
Mutombo
Smits
Robinson
O'Neal
Olajuwon