PDA

View Full Version : Are there any minimum requirements to earn a ring with an NBA team?

Rake2204
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
I was reading a story on Draymond Green in the Detroit Free Press yesterday and they rattled off the short list of Michigan State Spartans who'd earned an NBA championship ring. One of the six: Matt Steigena, who played two regular season games and 12 total minutes for the 1997 Bulls.

Are rings at a team's discretion? As in, anyone they feel that was a part of it will get one? Or are there requirements like there are in the NHL (where players have to meet minimums in order to get their name on the Cup?)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/steigma01.html

Kblaze8855
06-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a family friend Clyde Mayes who has a ring from the 77 Blazers and he played 24 minutes that season.

Rake2204
06-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I have a family friend Clyde Mayes who has a ring from the 77 Blazers and he played 24 minutes that season.That's pretty awesome. Looks like he had a wild '77 season. Waived by Indiana after two games, waived by Buffalo after 20 days, then waived by Portland in late February yet still received a ring. Sounds like an adventure.

As I typed my first post I began realizing it's probably looser than the NHL because there's no permanent engraving going on with the actual trophy (like the Stanley Cup with each roster being engraved). So I guess it makes sense for organizations to hand out those rings like candy.

TylerOO
06-01-2015, 01:51 PM
If Cavs win the title does Kevin Love have a ring?

Legends66NBA7
06-01-2015, 02:01 PM
If Cavs win the title does Kevin Love have a ring?

Yes.

Caron Butler has a ring with the Mavs and he didn't even play in the playoffs.

EDIT - Had to double check, it seems he doesn't. Missed too many games. But the Mavs did dedicate their run to him. Love played in the playoffs, so he should get the recognition.

Kblaze8855
06-01-2015, 02:13 PM
That's pretty awesome. Looks like he had a wild '77 season. Waived by Indiana after two games, waived by Buffalo after 20 days, then waived by Portland in late February yet still received a ring. Sounds like an adventure.

As I typed my first post I began realizing it's probably looser than the NHL because there's no permanent engraving going on with the actual trophy (like the Stanley Cup with each roster being engraved). So I guess it makes sense for organizations to hand out those rings like candy.

Yea he bounced around. Had 4-5 cups of coffee and went to europe. But he developed some strong opinions in his brief stay.

Swears Elvin Hayes was as good as Kareem. I dont agree....but who am I to argue?

Ive seen Elvin Hayes a couple times.

He guarded him....

Thats a "Just shut up..." moment.

TylerOO
06-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Yes.

Caron Butler has a ring with the Mavs and he didn't even play in the playoffs.

EDIT - Had to double check, it seems he doesn't. Missed too many games. But the Mavs did dedicate their run to him. Love played in the playoffs, so he should get the recognition.

I know he literally gets a ring, I meant will we (fans/ISHers) really count it as one?

JohnMax
06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Play with superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Duncan

QuebecBaller
06-01-2015, 09:17 PM
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/suo8lkl8ez52acljf3rr.jpg

JimmyMcAdocious
06-01-2015, 09:26 PM
re fans: Thinking to the college level. "Practice players", team managers, and such do so much for the team. I'm sure if you ask any of the rotational guys or coaches on those teams they would smack you if you told them the rings were undeserved.

Same probably holds true in the NBA, or a championship on any level.

I know if I won one playing zero minutes a game, I would still proudly show it off like the world's most impressive child.

tho I think OP is asking a different question now that I reread it.

SCdac
06-01-2015, 09:46 PM
T-Mac came so close!

http://cdn1-www.hoopsvibe.com/assets/uploads/2013/04/file_170845_0_tracy-mcgrady-spurs.jpeg