PDA

View Full Version : How good would Harrison Barnes be as a 2nd option?

1987_Lakers
06-02-2015, 06:28 PM
He plays with Curry & Thompson so Barnes doesn't have much responsibilities on offense, but in a couple of games Thompson was out in the regular season he had back to back 20 point games, in game 5 vs Houston he scored over 20. Is Barnes being limited in this offense or is he just a 10 ppg player?

Gabuyaux
06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
A team with Barnes as the second option is a lottery team.

1987_Lakers
06-02-2015, 06:46 PM
A team with Barnes as the second option is a lottery team.

lol, true. I was just wondering how good of an offensive player he would be if he had more looks.

Ca$H
06-02-2015, 06:46 PM
He can be a 18-20 ppg scorer if given enough touches.

navy
06-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Mark Jackson thought he could lead the bench last year....

inclinerator
06-02-2015, 07:22 PM
he's as good as kawhi leonard

RedBlackAttack
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Worst team in the league. Barnes is a pretty solid complimentary player on a good team. That's it. You try and force too much responsibility on Barnes and he will crumble.

SyRyanYang
06-02-2015, 07:40 PM
To me Harrison Barnes is the most under-appreciated and overlooked player on that squad. Green is a typical system player that thrived in this system, but Barnes, he took a back step and accepted his role for the greater good of this team. He's got moves, great shooter, great fundamentals, elite athleticism, great handle at 3, great man defender, clutch af and seems humble and poised. I have no doubt he will be a 20+ scorer on a different team.

ralph_i_el
06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
To me Harrison Barnes is the most under-appreciated and overlooked player on that squad. Green is a typical system player that thrived in this system, but Barnes, he took a back step and accepted his role for the greater good of this team. He's got moves, great shooter, great fundamentals, elite athleticism, great handle at 3, great man defender, clutch af and seems humble and poised. I have no doubt he will be a 20+ scorer on a different team.

>great handle

Nope

keep-itreal
06-02-2015, 07:49 PM
poor man's Rick Fox

raid09
06-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Great handle :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

HOoopCityJones
06-02-2015, 07:51 PM
He can be as good as Harden given the right situation.

14 TO's +

Prime_Shaq
06-02-2015, 07:59 PM
His fundamentals are really good. That's about it.

SHAQisGOAT
06-02-2015, 08:13 PM
He can be a 18-20 ppg scorer if given enough touches.

Think 20 or more is stretching it, maybe on below average efficiency but he's still young and improving so...

SyRyanYang
06-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Great handle :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Have you guys watched him lately? His handle is very tight and pretty good for his size and position.

Genaro
06-02-2015, 09:03 PM
2nd option only on a bad team. He could be a good 3rd option 16 PPG on a contender

Taller than CP3
06-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Sometimes I question his sexuality. Dude always has this smile on his face and he's out there doing the splits and shit. He probably waits for Curry to hit the showers so he can watch him wash his clean shaven balls after every game.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Sometimes I question his sexuality. Dude always has this smile on his face and he's out there doing the splits and shit. He probably waits for Curry to hit the showers so he can watch him wash his clean shaven balls after every game.

:roll:

RedBlackAttack
06-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Have you guys watched him lately? His handle is very tight and pretty good for his size and position.
Yeah, his handle is pretty good for a guy who literally is never asked to handle the ball. He works on this team because he is surrounded by shooters and he plays alongside a very versatile PF who can pretty much do whatever is asked of him. That leaves Barnes to focus most of his energy on the defensive end, along with make an occasional wide open jumper or toss in the odd post-up or two... and some fast break baskets.

He's not the kind of player who would elevate the play of teammates on a bad team. In fact, he'd likely add to the problem since he can't create his own shot and has been an incredibly streaky shooter over the course of his young career.

The most impressive thing about Barnes right now is his defense, which he has improved this year. His offensive game has also taken a step forward, but that is primarily because of two reasons... (1) he had nowhere to go but up after his horrendous season last year and (2) the Warriors are in a place right now where he is literally the last thing on opposing defenses' minds.

If Harrison Barnes is going to be the one to beat you, by all means...

If teams were actually gameplanning to stop him, as they would be as a 2nd or 3rd option, he'd be right back to shooting sub-40% from the field and essentially being a dumpster fire.

I have nothing against the guy. He is good in his limited role with this loaded Warriors team. But, he is no 2nd or 3rd option and I'm pretty sure every GM in the league is aware of it.

warriorfan
06-03-2015, 01:14 AM
Barnes can dunk, shoot corner 3's, and even has a few nice mid range moves. I wouldn't say he has good handles, he has good enough handles to drive an open lane and dunk but he isn't going to be breaking down defenders or anything. Like most 3rd or 4th options on great teams, his weaknesses get hidden and he gets to pick and choose prime opportunities on a very limited basis. Basically whenever he doesn't have his primo selection he can afford to pass it up. When guys like this step into a larger role where they are asked to create more difficult shots they usually struggle badly. Think of young Trevor Ariza when he was playing solidly as a 3rd option type player on the Lakers and got sent to Houston where they tried to make him a 1st or 2nd option. That is the same thing that would happen with Barnes if he was placed with a larger offensive responsibility. He is still young and improving and he does have potential to grow into that role in the future, but he is not there yet.

BIG FURB
06-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Yeah, his handle is pretty good for a guy who literally is never asked to handle the ball. He works on this team because he is surrounded by shooters and he plays alongside a very versatile PF who can pretty much do whatever is asked of him. That leaves Barnes to focus most of his energy on the defensive end, along with make an occasional wide open jumper or toss in the odd post-up or two... and some fast break baskets.

He's not the kind of player who would elevate the play of teammates on a bad team. In fact, he'd likely add to the problem since he can't create his own shot and has been an incredibly streaky shooter over the course of his young career.

The most impressive thing about Barnes right now is his defense, which he has improved this year. His offensive game has also taken a step forward, but that is primarily because of two reasons... (1) he had nowhere to go but up after his horrendous season last year and (2) the Warriors are in a place right now where he is literally the last thing on opposing defenses' minds.

If Harrison Barnes is going to be the one to beat you, by all means...

If teams were actually gameplanning to stop him, as they would be as a 2nd or 3rd option, he'd be right back to shooting sub-40% from the field and essentially being a dumpster fire.

I have nothing against the guy. He is good in his limited role with this loaded Warriors team. But, he is no 2nd or 3rd option and I'm pretty sure every GM in the league is aware of it.

I disagree, I think Barnes could have success as a 2nd or 3rd option on a team on the rise with a bonafide superstar like the pelicans. Barnes is too young, hardworking and talented to say that what he is now is all he'll ever be. Look at players like Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler, anyone that says they knew those guys would become as good as they did would be talking out their ass (not saying he's gonna be that good, just saying it's too early in his career to say he only ever gonna be a roleplayer).

And you're giving GM's waaaay too much credit. If Barnes continues his solid play en route to a title, and improves next year (which strangely enough many players tend to do in contract seasons) somebody is gonna offer him a lot of money to put up a lot of shots for their team.