PDA

View Full Version : *rare MJ game* I haven't seen these highlights

andgar923
06-02-2015, 11:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2LVw87y4I&ab_channel=PatrickVilhauer

I don't think anyone's uploaded these highlights before.

Some crazy sick shit. Unstoppable in the block.

lilteapot
06-02-2015, 11:27 PM
When was this, like 87-88? Crazy good. Free throw form back then was terrible though.

Although a lot of the fouls called on him if they were called today people would say it's a soft league.

inclinerator
06-02-2015, 11:30 PM
probably cuz it's sht quality

plowking
06-02-2015, 11:33 PM
His free throw form is so jacked early in his career... yet somehow he shot it best earlier on... Weird.

Living Being
06-03-2015, 12:04 AM
All those highlights and they lose on a last second shot.

Done_And_Done
06-03-2015, 12:37 AM
So much swag in this kid. Destined for greatness...

HylianNightmare
06-03-2015, 12:45 AM
That dunk was great. Good stuff

Rake2204
06-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Nice rise on that finish over Gminski at 3:55.

Also, probably obvious to Philly fans, but I totally missed the Gerald Henderson-as-a-76er era. Had no idea he was ever there, yet here he is hitting game-winners and whatnot.

Sidenote: Charles Barkley had 26 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists, and 4 blocks that game. I think those highlights are uploaded by the same guy (Patrick Vilhauer - does a great job).

Bless Mathews
06-03-2015, 02:16 AM
Jordan is the goat of all goats.

The fOnk unleashed at 2:08???

FONkier than any bron CAREER highlight.

So damn fOnky. Unstoppable.

diamenz
06-03-2015, 04:39 AM
thanks for the share. love that announver/commentator too - you'd think you were listening to the radio the way he does a great job of painting a picture of what's happening on the court.

johnny karr was always a riot too - you could tell that guy was a big jordan fan lol.

SHAQisGOAT
06-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Never seen this one before, great stuff :applause: :bowdown:

Some of those finishes were crazy. Very nice move at 2:08, stutter-step and finish at the 3min mark was sick, great play/elevation/dunk at 3:55...

This can serve as a lesson on some post-playing areas... Look at him fighting for position, moving around the defender trying to get the ball over or under, then when he finally gets it just makes his move very quickly. Look at how fast he gets the ball back out when he sees the double arriving, keeping them honest, getting the ball back and, again, making the quick move in order to score.

Spurs m8
06-03-2015, 06:17 AM
His whole shot wasn't that pretty back then tbh
Yeah it worked, but was kinda loose.
He defs tightened it all up

AirFederer
06-03-2015, 06:40 AM
That 3:55 dunk - a SG should have no business going up agiants the big men in the post, it`s not like he had a clear path run way. Jus stunning.
His speed and instincts are amazing, as is jis desicion making in the post. the quick move once he gets the ball.

andgar923
06-03-2015, 08:29 AM
That 3:55 dunk - a SG should have no business going up agiants the big men in the post, it`s not like he had a clear path run way. Jus stunning.
His speed and instincts are amazing, as is jis desicion making in the post. the quick move once he gets the ball.

Everything you mentioned plus 1.

He gave you a move within a move, all fluid, all lightning quick, all on point.

His instincts were just off the radar, extremely quick reaction and executions.

Some posters mentioned his shooting form, but I think it was just that game (or perhaps a stretch of games) because his form looked good in others. Perhaps he had an injury which altered his form? :confusedshrug:

OldSchoolBBall
06-03-2015, 08:41 AM
His free throw form is so jacked early in his career... yet somehow he shot it best earlier on... Weird.

He was shooting more volume, so he was probably able to get into a better rhythm. Same with his 3-point shooting, really. 1990 was the first season he took more than a trifling # of threes per game, and he shot nearly 38%. But he was probably a good 3-point shooter a year or so prior to that.

Interesting fact: in 1989 (I think), he shot all his FT's from a couple of feet behind the FT line, and still made like 85% of them. You can see this in game videos.

Most others have already commented on the sickness of several of the plays in this video as well as the quickness/correctness of his decision making even at that stage of his career. He just saw the game faster than basically anyone else in history - at least as a scorer, in terms of reading defenses and seeing openings. As an aggressive scorer, only Bird is on his level in terms of quickness and appropriateness of his decisions, and decisive moves with and without the ball. For all the bullsh!t on this forum about MJ being "overrated," people still don't realize how good this guy was, believe it or not.

EDIT: The play at 2:08 is my favorite. Just a lightning quick crossover and change of direction, gets a bump but maintains his composure, hop step and then a smooth lefty finish around Gminski. Just so fluid.

Dro
06-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Goat gonna goat...

Also, is it just me, or does Barkley like super fat? Or is it just the video?

Bless Mathews
06-03-2015, 12:35 PM
He was shooting more volume, so he was probably able to get into a better rhythm. Same with his 3-point shooting, really. 1990 was the first season he took more than a trifling # of threes per game, and he shot nearly 38%. But he was probably a good 3-point shooter a year or so prior to that.

Interesting fact: in 1989 (I think), he shot all his FT's from a couple of feet behind the FT line, and still made like 85% of them. You can see this in game videos.

Most others have already commented on the sickness of several of the plays in this video as well as the quickness/correctness of his decision making even at that stage of his career. He just saw the game faster than basically anyone else in history - at least as a scorer, in terms of reading defenses and seeing openings. As an aggressive scorer, only Bird is on his level in terms of quickness and appropriateness of his decisions, and decisive moves with and without the ball. For all the bullsh!t on this forum about MJ being "overrated," people still don't realize how good this guy was, believe it or not.

EDIT: The play at 2:08 is my favorite. Just a lightning quick crossover and change of direction, gets a bump but maintains his composure, hop step and then a smooth lefty finish around Gminski. Just so fluid.

2:08 move my favorite also.

How he started by palming the ball with one hand, sizing up his defender , like "niggah I'm bout to go right past you"

Just too fOnky.

So FUCCIN fOnky.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Something you cannot defend unless you're just as quick at reacting to offenses (what MJ did to defenses). Everything you described is a counter to the defense, but in a proficient and cat-like manner.

But yeah, that move reminds me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQePkBnD0vo&feature=player_detailpage#t=217) one, as we see him picking apart a defense before anybody can react. No hesitation, beating the double before it setup. :oldlol:

G0ATbe
06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
What a joke that era was:lol .Where's that juggernaught 80s/90s defense I hear so much about?

ShawkFactory
06-03-2015, 01:05 PM
What a joke that era was:lol .Where's that juggernaught 80s/90s defense I hear so much about?
Being destroyed by the GOAT

OldSchoolBBall
06-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Jordan doesn't pound the ball and let defenses set up and key on him, unlike stars of today. He moves off the ball, gets the ball and makes lightning quick reads and moves. There is no defense to contain ability like that, which is why, when healthy, he was still doing a lot of the same stuff (in terms of quick reads/moves, not aerial play) even at age 39/40 in the modern league. If you think he wouldn't be making defenses look silly today, you're kidding yourself.

SHAQisGOAT
06-03-2015, 01:47 PM

:biggums:

So you heard the 1988 76ers were a juggernaut defensive team? :rolleyes: Tell me more about it :lol

Go watch some Bad Boys Pistons, 90's Knicks, 80's Bucks, '96 Sonics, 76ers but in '83... For that type of defense you wanna see...

And prime Jordan would make ANY defense look foolish at some point or another, any era... Look at some of the shots he's making there :bowdown:

Dragonyeuw
06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Something you cannot defend unless you're just as quick at reacting to offenses (what MJ did to defenses). Everything you described is a counter to the defense, but in a proficient and cat-like manner.

But yeah, that move reminds me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQePkBnD0vo&feature=player_detailpage#t=217) one, as we see him picking apart a defense before anybody can react. No hesitation, beating the double before it setup. :oldlol:

I find as time goes on, I find this version of MJ is becoming my favorite. When I was younger I marvelled at the athleticism and crazy dunks/finishes, but as you understand the finer nuances its really amazing to watch the older MJ pick apart defenses off guile and smarts( still very athletic at 34 mind you).