PDA

View Full Version : Is the game today boring?

UK2K
06-03-2015, 01:58 PM
"People don't cut as much," he adds. "People don't move without the ball as much. We all tend to run the same play to get the open guy. Everybody runs a pick-and-roll, runs a guy down the middle and either you gotta pick him up or not. And you got to decide what you're going to do when the guy pops out for the shot. It's pretty boring, actually." - Popovich

He does have a point. Pretty much every team runs the same play. High pick and roll (or pop), weak side big man hangs around the opposite block away from the play, and everyone else stands around the 3pt line and waits for the ball.

When you say it like that, yeah, its kind of repetitive.

inclinerator
06-03-2015, 02:00 PM
what about iso ball

Alamо
06-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Pop is senile. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. He should retire.

He's 70 years old. He should be in a home, not coaching basketball

DonDadda59
06-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Where is that Pop quote from? Link?

And I've been saying the same thing for a while- virtually every team plays the same. Pick and roll, chuck 3s. The odd drive and post up here and there. Teams don't really have unique personalities/playing styles any more.

what about iso ball

LeBron Ball (or what you call 'iso ball') is one of the rare exceptions, even though in the end it usually ends with a last seconds kick out to the 3 point line anyway.

SHAQisGOAT
06-03-2015, 02:16 PM
"People don't cut as much," he adds. "People don't move without the ball as much.

^Totally agree, said plenty of times before... "Costs" more but, for the most part, the results are very satisfatory...

miles berg
06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Compared to the 80s it's almost impossible to watch.

Jameerthefear
06-03-2015, 02:24 PM

And I've been saying the same thing for a while- virtually every team plays the same. Pick and roll, chuck 3s. The odd drive and post up here and there. Teams don't really have unique personalities/playing styles any more.

LeBron Ball (or what you call 'iso ball') is one of the rare exceptions, even though in the end it usually ends with a last seconds kick out to the 3 point line anyway.
yeah i agree with this
this isn't some 80's 90's thing though like people are going to make it though. just recently. just like 5-6 years ago the 4 best teams in the league (orlando, lakers, boston, cavs) all had their own style so to speak

ClipperRevival
06-03-2015, 02:24 PM
There's no denying there is a lot of the same thing going on. P&R and shooters at the corners. Not a lot of post play, which used to be a staple of the game for decades. It's a different game now. The analytics state you should only take certain shots. And you add in the soft rules that allow wing players to get to the rack at will along with the extra spacing the 3 point shooting provides, and it's easy to see why almost every team has a great PG.

Rose'sACL
06-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Just Hawks, warriors, clippers, spurs have at least 10 or more elite cutters. What is that guy talking about?
There are so many elite cutters in the game. If you are expecting lebron or Kobe to be cutters then you are doing it wrong. Lebron and Kobe have done it for short stretches showing that they can do it if they wanted to.

DonDadda59
06-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Just Hawks, warriors, clippers, spurs have at least 10 or more elite cutters. What is that guy talking about?
There are so many elite cutters in the game. If you are expecting lebron or Kobe to be cutters then you are doing it wrong. Lebron and Kobe have done it for short stretches showing that they can do it if they wanted to.

Pop doesn't know shit about basketball.

FatComputerNerd
06-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I think the game is as exciting and fun to watch as it's been in quite some time.

Then again, maybe that's because I'm from Cleveland =\

Levity
06-03-2015, 02:33 PM
After their championship last season, lots of teams are hoping to model their offense after the Spurs. So he should be a content little trend setter.

FatComputerNerd
06-03-2015, 02:34 PM
After their championship last season, lots of teams are hoping to model their offense after the Spurs. So he should be a content little trend setter.

Man, that was a special team.

I still watch those spurs "the beautiful game" vids on youtube that went viral after last years playoffs every now and again.

Brings a tear to me eye every time, just as a fan of the game.

Team Basketball!!!

StephHamann
06-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Teams don't really have unique personalities/playing styles any more.

The Knicks have

DonDadda59
06-03-2015, 02:37 PM

Pop showed he could win rings in any era/decade (as long as Timmy in on his squad :lol ) using different methods. He's like Pat Riley in that regard (going from Showtime to the 90s grind em down Knicks, 2006 Heat). Spurs used to be a snail-paced, strictly half court, post up squad. Last year they were completely different.

He's one of the rare coaches that isn't married to one style and can change with the times/his personnel. Most coaches (ie, Pringles) don't have that ability- they have one approach no matter what kind of players they have.

The Knicks have

Dudes STILL haven't figured out how to run the triangle. That was pure comedy watching them just look completely lost and confused this past season.

Rose'sACL
Pop doesn't know shit about basketball.
Pop just played clippers who have 2 elite cutters. I trust what I am watching. Other than the cavs, all top tier teams in the league had elite cutters.
This also shows that not all teams had same style of play. Cavs rely more on isoball, warriors rely on both isoball as well as passing depending on which is working. Hawks only relied on passing.Memphis liked to bang in the post.
Clippers used griffins post game and shooting of CP3 and others.
How are all those teams playing the same way?

warriorfan
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rockets fan saying basketball is boring?

Basketball isn't boring, James Harden is.

bdreason
06-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Not enough strategic diversity, because the rules are dictating how coaches have to coach. Pretty much every team just spaces the court with shooters, high P&R, then try to get to the FT line or an open 3-pointer.

The game would be more interesting with less rules. Every time the NBA adds another rule, team strategies becomes more homogeneous.

jstern
06-03-2015, 02:43 PM

Re read what Pop said at least 5 more times in a row.

Rose'sACL
06-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Re read what Pop said at least 5 more times in a row.
You do that.

Showtime80'
06-03-2015, 02:49 PM
The league brought this crap on themselves!!! They forced Jordan down everybody's throat thus killing the post play, altering teamwork principles and SEVERELY eroding fundamental skills!

And just stop with the whole analytics BS! The Eastern conference is a pathetic collection of inept offensive teams while in the West you may have 3 or 4 teams with any semblance of free flowing execution so analytics is not doing a damn thing in terms of improving the offensive output of these teams.

You want to know why teams in the 80's early 90's and great teams like the 2000's Lakers or Spurs didn't rely on a gimmick like analytics?!? THEY DIDN'T NEED TO! They were built the right way, from the inside out like it was ALWAYS DONE!

The ONLY way today's pathetic offenses can score is either penetration or 3 pointers and that's it! No variety, creativity or versatility.

Honest question: Take the 3 point line away next season what would the average league score be? 60's, 70's, 80's?

Rose'sACL
06-03-2015, 03:40 PM
The league brought this crap on themselves!!! They forced Jordan down everybody's throat thus killing the post play, altering teamwork principles and SEVERELY eroding fundamental skills!

And just stop with the whole analytics BS! The Eastern conference is a pathetic collection of inept offensive teams while in the West you may have 3 or 4 teams with any semblance of free flowing execution so analytics is not doing a damn thing in terms of improving the offensive output of these teams.

You want to know why teams in the 80's early 90's and great teams like the 2000's Lakers or Spurs didn't rely on a gimmick like analytics?!? THEY DIDN'T NEED TO! They were built the right way, from the inside out like it was ALWAYS DONE!

The ONLY way today's pathetic offenses can score is either penetration or 3 pointers and that's it! No variety, creativity or versatility.

Honest question: Take the 3 point line away next season what would the average league score be? 60's, 70's, 80's?
Why exactly is 3 point line being removed in the case you mentioned?
If 3 point line didn't exist, today's rules would make it impossible to play in the post. 3 point line makes it at least an okay option to play in the post. It is essential for a post player now to be an elite passer to help his team. Scoring in the post isn't as lucrative as it was in older eras. Getting doubled in the post is everyone's goal so that role players get open 3s.
If 3 point line was removed then playing in the post will be even harder in today's league. Even guys like Hakeem would suffer.

UK2K
06-03-2015, 04:11 PM

From an article on ESPN homepage about how the 3 pt shot changed the sport.

UK2K
06-03-2015, 04:12 PM
The Knicks have

Sucking ass isn't a style.

SilkkTheShocker
06-03-2015, 04:13 PM
90s basketball was as boring as it got. At least in the 50's game you can see grainy footage of unathletic, chain-smolking car salesmen attempt to dribble the ball longer than 5 feet without going into a seizure.

UK2K
06-03-2015, 04:28 PM

Kinda over the top, but I do agree with this

Maga_1
06-03-2015, 05:36 PM
So that's why he likes euro ball so much..

GOBB
06-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Is there a link to this quote?

the_troof
06-03-2015, 05:47 PM
the "mvp" only being good at shooting wide open 3's is boring af

T_L_P
06-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Individual offense is less exciting with the amount of 3s these days, zone defense and the decline of the low-post big man.

But smart defensive principles and team play has never been more prominent in the league.

You can watch a Hornets-Pacers game from this season and still enjoy it. Ten years ago, and especially thirty years ago, those kind of games were horrible, because they relied on the individual brilliance of the players.

secund2nun
06-03-2015, 06:01 PM
90s basketball was as boring as it got. At least in the 50's game you can see grainy footage of unathletic, chain-smolking car salesmen attempt to dribble the ball longer than 5 feet without going into a seizure.

Sadly that's exactly what it was.

TheReal Kendall
06-03-2015, 06:06 PM
It is pretty boring to watch now. I blame on the rules change and the inconsistent officiating.

Dro
06-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Pop is senile. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. He should retire.

He's 70 years old. He should be in a home, not coaching basketball
He's right.........

Dro
06-03-2015, 11:27 PM
That's why I liked watching my own Pacers play the last few years. Because we may run a pick and roll with West and Hill but its really just to get West an open jumper. We also still threw it inside to West and Hibbert. It was like watching a throwback team to the 90's when you could see a Knicks/Heat game and it was tough inside. I miss that. You could watch Chicago and Jordan and Pippen would post up. Kukoc too. You could watch the Hornets, Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning would bang inside. You even had the Bucks with guys like Vin Baker who would post up. The Nets had Derrick Coleman, the Bucks later got Glenn Robinson. These guys went inside. I enjoy watching the post game and there is none anymore. Thats a big reason why the game isn't as exciting to me anymore.

We don't have any super fast point guards and tons of shooters we didn't normally play that way. We may run PG off a screen on the wing, or post him up, or post up West or Hibbert, we would post up Lance. Run pick and roll with Lance. We had a lot of options on offense. Execution sucked though. Slow pace sucked...

warriorfan
06-03-2015, 11:33 PM
When Rocket fans try to tell us how good James Harden is and then cry about how basketball is so boring

http://i.imgur.com/3aNnn17.gif