PDA

View Full Version : John Starks Cocaine-induced Game 7 performance?

IllegalD
06-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Everyone remembers John Starks infamous 2-18 performance in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals against the Houston Rockets. (0-10 in the 4th quarter)

I stumbled across this article.

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2004/aug/12/sex-038-drugs-the-athlete039s-kryptonite/?templates=desktop&ts=1313816671

The most eye-catching part:

Perhaps one of the worst examples of an athlete abusing sex and drugs before a big moments was the case of former New York Knicks guard John Starks in the 1994 NBA Finals.
Starks had a monster Game 6 in the Finals, scoring at will and nearly leading the Knicks to a series-clinching win over the Houston Rockets. Instead, the Rockets won 86-84 to send the Finals to Game 7. Starks had an ugly Game 7, however, missing 16 out of the 18 shots he took and the Rockets went on to win the NBA championship.
I lived in Houston at the time and one of my co-workers told me that this gold digger she knew managed to find Starks the night before Game 7, have sex with him and fill him full of cocaine. I was surprised, but not really shocked. Unlike Superman, many athletes want to be around the kryptonite.

:biggums:

Has anyone else ever heard of this story as the reason for Starks epic stinkbomb? :confusedshrug:

iamgine
06-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Cocaine is a stimulant. If anything it should vastly improve energy and focus.

Don't blame it on drugs. If anything, that (fake) story might be exactly what he should've done.

IllegalD
06-03-2015, 11:52 PM

Don't blame it on drugs. If anything, that (fake) story might be exactly what he should've done.

Maybe if you did it DURING the game, or right before the game.

Not the night before. Next morning after a cocaine binge will leave you feeling like hell.

Clearly you've never done cocaine before.

TheReal Kendall
06-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon*

FreezingTsmoove
06-03-2015, 11:59 PM
BS. Anyone can easily make up statement like that

LebRon was coked out during Game 4 of the 2011 nba finals... and game 5,..... and game 6

IllegalD
06-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Jesus nobody is using this as an excuse for the loss. :facepalm

I'm not even a Knicks fan. :lol

I'm just asking if anyone else ever heard of the story before.

Because I never did, up until I came across this article.

TheReal Kendall
06-04-2015, 12:01 AM
:lol Nah bro this my first time hearing about this. Starks does have that "I snort coke" look.

warriorfan
06-04-2015, 12:03 AM
sounds like a tall tale but who knows? it could be true

Cavalier
06-04-2015, 12:07 AM
one of my co-workers told me that this gold digger she knew

Sounds like a reliable source to me.:confusedshrug:

oarabbus
06-04-2015, 12:12 AM

That's not how it is.

Yeah it gives you energy and stimulation for about 30 minutes. It's actually a reasonable explanation for Starks game if true. Also with blow there are copious amounts of alcohol likely to be involved.

There was that one college star who played a season with the Celtics before becoming a coke and heroin speedball addict and lost his place on the team, though. One of the few to be drunk and high and still kill it in the game the next day

TheReal Kendall
06-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Lawrence Taylor played football coked up all the time.

oarabbus
06-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Lawrence Taylor played football coked up all the time.

Much easier for a pro athlete to play football coked up or on adderall like the Seahawks. 20 second burst then catch your breath.

You aren't gonna hear about too many basketball or soccer players etc getting some white in pregame. Totally different imo.

warriorfan
06-04-2015, 12:47 AM
I played football on cocaine once, it was pretty fun. I hurt my wrist and just kept playing all game and couldn't feel it. Next day it was super ****ed up thought, couldn't move it for a few days.

BigBoss
06-04-2015, 12:50 AM

You'll be tired as hell/dehydrated l when your coming off it by game time unless he re-upped.

chazzy
06-04-2015, 01:58 AM
James Harden's playoff inconsistency has finally been explained

AirFederer
06-04-2015, 02:06 AM
Diego Maradona played most of his career in Italy on coke..

The source is shit but it's not unlikely, just not at all verified.