PDA

View Full Version : Raptors 2015 Offseason Thread

kmart
06-04-2015, 01:18 AM
Theres no offseason thread yet, so I've decided to make one for more Raptor discussion.

The Raptors offseason so far has included:

- Masai keeping Dwayne Casey on as head coach. One has to wonder if he is following the same path as BC. BC started very strong in his tenure with the Raptors and slowly because worse and worse, Masai so far has followed the same path. However, they are very different in philosophies (Masai loves younger guys and draft picks).

- The D-League team will be an asset at the Raptors disposal this upcoming season. Good news for the development of Bruno, Bebe, and DeAndre Daniels.

- Rumors are circulating on the next assistant coaches of the Toronto Raptors. One has to think that Casey is on a short leash because of this previous season. Whoever Masai chooses to hire may be taking over as head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Reading over rumor sites Monty Williams is a candidate

- Raptors own the 20th pick in the draft and have some flexibility. Will Amir, Lou, or Psycho T be kept? If not who stays and who goes? Will the Raptors still maintain the depth that they had this past year? If looks as if Lou will be over priced, so who will the Raptors add if they need bench schoring.

Possible UFA the Raptors could chase:

- Their own

- Demarre Carroll - Turned into an excellent 3 and D player for the Hawks and will defend top wing players for the Raptors. I think he'll get a big payday, but the Raptors need a guy who can stop the ball and contribute something on the offensive end. He's in for a big payday, so I don't know if the Raptors can afford him, but we all know the Raptors need a Demarre Carroll on the team

- Wes Matthews - The guy ended his season will an Achilles injury, this could turn some teams away. Again the Raptors need a 3 and D player and since he is recovering from tough injury he could he be had for a lower rate than some other 3 and D players given the length of contract.

- Danny Green - I think this is the guy that the Raptors should go after. He's long shoots well and defends extremely well for his position. Sometimes he has mental lapses on both sides of the court, but he makes up for it with excellent defence and the ability to spread the floor. Since he wasn't advertised very well on the Spurs I think he can be a hidden gem of this UFA corps.

- Jeremy Lin - If the Raps lose Lou, Jeremy Lin can come in and provide a spark off the bench. He didn't have a bad year with his limited minutes, although he didn't have great averages. Possibly a cheap way of getting offence off the bench.

- KJ McDaniels - After a hot start on the 76ers, he struggled to get minutes on the Rockets. He's a RFA, so unlike the other options on this list Houston can match the offer. If you offer him a 3 million dollar contract does Houston even think about keeping him given their history of trying to get the top free agents.

- Brandon Wright - Long, athletic, and will defend. He won't take much offence away from DeMar or Lowry. He would be an excellent addition for the depth of this team.

- Marreese Speights - He has improved on that Warriors team and can be a spark on the bench. With the Raptors possibly losing Lou, I could see him being a good option if they want to replace Lou's bench scoring.

- Jordan Hill - He is on a team option, but the Lakers will likely cut his option. He could be a good option off the bench as a energy type of player. He has a good mid range game and just needs more effort in his play.

Questions Masai will need to answer:

- Who do we keep from our FA? Who do we sign as UFA or RFA?

- How much confidence does he have in Ross? Does he believe in Ross like the Warriors believed in Harrison Barnes? Or is Ross tradable to other teams?

- Who is picked at #20 overall? Will it be a project (ie. Bruno)? Or will he go with a proven college player?

- Who are the assistant coaches going to be?

- How to address the Raptors awful defence?

- How to re-sign Lou or replace Lou?

kmart
06-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.

Velocirap31
06-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

ESPN sources say that, in advance of Thursday's draft, Minnesota has made former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett available via trade 9m

Does Ujiri bite? He has stated that he wants a Canadian on the Raptors' roster.

That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.

kmart
06-23-2015, 05:50 PM
That would be cool. He should go for it. It's a no lose scenario. Bennett pans out and becomes a serviceable NBAer or he sucks and no one gets mad at Ujiri because Bennett is a fellow countryman.

Stacking this team with young Canadian talent would be a very good idea for notoriety and publicity here at home. People would love to cheer for them.

In theory, bringing the hometown kid home seems to be a good idea. It does raise some eyebrows if Masai will be adding a Canadian to the roster due to his nationality and not his basketball skill.

I am in the mind that Masai only has interest in players that will contribute to the team now or in the future. From what I've seen with Masai loves to fill out his roster with 15 players and every roster spot counts, whether it be for a player now or in the future. The question is does Masai think that Bennett will be a serviceable NBA player in the future and I don't think he does.

Legends66NBA7
06-23-2015, 07:15 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/with-honeymoon-over-ujiri-era-now-begins-in-earnest/

[QUOTE]Let the Masai Ujiri era begin.

The Toronto Raptors general manager

Legends66NBA7
06-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.

kmart
06-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Also reading that Kyle, DeMar, and Jonas are all available for a trade.

It would take a overpayment to get those players from Masai. He loves to get the most he can out of a deal.

kmart
06-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Raptors get a D-League team in Mississauga. Great news for Bebe, Bruno, Daniels, and our 20th overall pick this year.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2015/06/24/raptors-to-announce-d-league-team-will-play-in-mississauga-this-season.html

kmart
06-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Raptors will have approximately 26 million to spend in free agency this year and they'll need a PF, if they choose not to retain Amir.

I'm still not convinced they'll keep Lou either, considering the focus on defence this year.

BoogieWoogieMan
06-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Lou is as good as gone. I can see Amir coming back for a team friendly price.

I like the rookies we got at the range we drafted them. Masai with solid work once again.

Gonna miss General Grevious' swagger, but not his high risk, high reward shot selections. :oldlol:

kmart
06-28-2015, 12:40 PM
David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.

Dr.Funk
06-28-2015, 01:44 PM
David West is a name to keep an eye on. After Paul Pierce did what he did to the Raptors, a battle proven veteran is something that the Raptors desire. He just recently opted out of his contract with the Pacers. I think a two year deal with West would be optimal for both sides to maximize the value that West has remaining in his career.

I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.

kmart
06-28-2015, 06:15 PM
I'd love to sign West, after Millsap and possibly Monroe he would be my target.

I'd also like to go after a Marcus Thornton or somebody like that who can provide 2nd unit scoring as I believe that Lou Will will be too pricey.

Corey Brewer as a wing defender is somebody I like aswell.

I like the idea of Millsap, however I think the term of the deal would be undesirable for the Raptors. This will probably be the last time Millsap can maximize his earnings, so look for a 4 year deal in the ballpark of 13-15 million. For the Raptors, the addition of Millsap will take them out of the KD sweepstakes.

I like the idea of Thornton on the 2nd unit and Corey Brewer/3&D type of player. I am assuming that Masai will be looking for defensive minded players to improve on a awful defence last year.

Jballer
06-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Question : If the NBDL team and summer league team are essentially one and the same for arguement sake

1) Would you bring back Landry Fields ???

(obviously not at that money but think of potential roster open spots)

2) Cedric or Hansborough ? Both ?

Recalling the collective requires something like 14 roster spots......and ...

Tie-ing this thread into the Summer Team (Kmart) thread:

Perhaps Lou's money is coming from Vasquez contract.

Amir likely to be back on a cap friendly deal?

I assume we then also keep one of Cedric or Tyler

If this line up ends up being the core of the NBDL team - that leaves us 5 ~ 6 full roster spots open to fill :

(1) Vasquez (2) Bruno (3) Bebe (4) Landry Fields (5) one of Cedric or Tyler and (7) back up PG if Delon doesnt make the big team.

Jballer
06-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Dear Masai :

As a huge Raptor fan interested in the development and depth of this team over the long term as a perennial power ; thanks for what you have done.

Given the off season and potential FA signings I hope you will at least consider offers to any of the following for the "big team roster" with the DL league team obviously opening...

These guys may not be our starters but they appear to be great roster additions in my opinion.

1) Alan Anderson. Quality player / quality man and clutch performer. Obviously no longer a starter - the type of guy to help Demar and more importantly Tross develop

2) Ed Davis. Former Raptor appears to have unused potential. Nice to have a true banger production at the 4 spot

3) Tristan Thompson Canadian 4 ~ if he would consider leaving Cleveland. Clearly a lot of potential issues here in terms of cap flex, matching, front end loading, etc... but worth exploratory discussions.

4) Richard Jefferson.. his shooting the past 2- 3 years is something like 39% I get the d first mentality but his combo of shot selection and high percentage means we need to talk to the guy.

kmart
06-29-2015, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]Ujiri probably will pitch the middle group first, particularly Paul Millsap and Marc Gasol, before turning his attention to the restricted crop. There is a seven-day moratorium before any signings can become official.

Toronto

Qwyjibo
06-29-2015, 04:02 PM
I want Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris. Both are legit starting SF who are young enough to still improve. Give them a large enough offer sheet where their team won't match.

The Raptors aren't rebuilding and there is no way in hell any of the top free agents (Gasol, Aldridge, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi) come to Toronto. The Raptors have to roll on the dice if they want to get out of mediocrity. Either of these guys would be worth an "overpay" based on their past performance.

Sakkreth
06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Raptors management to meet with Aldrige in upcoming days. It would be obviously a max deal. What do you think about such move ?

Qwyjibo
06-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Raptors management to meet with Aldrige in upcoming days. It would be obviously a max deal. What do you think about such move ?
No idea why he'd choose Toronto over all the other teams willing to offer him the same max deal. I wouldn't hold my breath.

kmart
06-29-2015, 04:40 PM
No idea why he'd choose Toronto over all the other teams willing to offer him the same max deal. I wouldn't hold my breath.

He probably using this as leverage to get the max from other teams. However, its not like Toronto isn't a bad option. Toronto is 4th largest market in North America with a good Eastern team. If he went here the road to the NBA finals will likely be easier than what it was on the Lakers. Add that to the fact that the Spurs may not be able to throw a max offer, Toronto might be a viable option.

Jballer
06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
He probably using this as leverage to get the max from other teams. However, its not like Toronto isn't a bad option. Toronto is 4th largest market in North America with a good Eastern team. If he went here the road to the NBA finals will likely be easier than what it was on the Lakers. Add that to the fact that the Spurs may not be able to throw a max offer, Toronto might be a viable option.

Agreed however wasn't there some mealy mouthing about playing in Toronto when Bosh was here ? I cant remember ~ was it good or bad vibes about playing north ?

Or was it bad mouthing after picking Bargnani instead of Aldridge ?

Either way I think the odds are slim.

If he really "doesn't want to play in front of Texas home crowds" I guess the Lakers are the destination.

I would guess per above that Milsap / Thompson are the "targets" to round out the 4 spot with Patterson. Amir comes back to play minutes as the back up 5 with Hayes / Hansborough / both gone

Chamberlain
06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Give Aldridge the max.

Give KD the max next summer.

Figure the rest out later.

Legends66NBA7
06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I want Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris. Both are legit starting SF who are young enough to still improve. Give them a large enough offer sheet where their team won't match.

The Raptors aren't rebuilding and there is no way in hell any of the top free agents (Gasol, Aldridge, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi) come to Toronto. The Raptors have to roll on the dice if they want to get out of mediocrity. Either of these guys would be worth an "overpay" based on their past performance.

Raptors desperately need a legit starting SF. If given the choice, I would take Middleton every time over Harris. Better outside shooter and defender, the 3&D player the Raptors have been lacking all of last year. There's also DeMarre Carroll, I'd like to see him as a backup plan if the Raps can't get the first 2.

Then there's frontcourt situation. As of right now, I don't think Amir is coming back unless he wants to for a discount, which he won't do for his last big pay day. There's Brandon Wright and Bismack Biyombo, one or both would be excellent pick ups. Give us too good shot blockers and defenders. They won't score much but they do crash the offensive glass.

Lou has given all indication that he wants big money and given some of the picks and further trades happening, he'll only come back Masai can't get his original FA's he intended to get.

Qwyjibo
06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
I like Brandon Wright and didn't even think of him. He's just a really smart offensive player. Limited but smart. I've always wondered what he'd be like with more minutes. Then again, when he was coming out of UNC I pegged him as a Chris Bosh-lite so I've always had this inflated sense of his skills.

A primary big man rotation of Wright, JV, Patterson and Biyombo would be quite alright. But they need that 3pt shooter at SF and like you said, Middleton would be perfect and I'd totally throw the max at him given the raises in the cap coming up.

Jballer
06-30-2015, 04:57 PM
But they need that 3pt shooter at SF and like you said, Middleton would be perfect and I'd totally throw the max at him given the raises in the cap coming up.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jefferi01.html

Not a cap busting contract. Another piece.

14 year veteran to add experience to largely a young team ; got a bit of a chip too and nothing wrong with that if harnessed the right way.

Not a starter but ...> James Johnson

Last 3 seasons ~ GSW Utah Dallas

FG % 456 - 450 - 444
3Pt % 311 - 409 - 426
Minutes per game 16 - 24

tragicbronson
07-01-2015, 02:12 AM
What's all the talk about DeMar being traded, everybody being available, i wouldn't assume masai would want to start over again since i think he has built a really nice core but still, what is he trying to do. Yeah, raptors need a sf that can hit 3s and defend, something like pj tucker, but if raptors can bring more talent through the FA, tobias or middleton, that would be great.

Legends66NBA7
07-01-2015, 03:35 AM
What's all the talk about DeMar being traded, everybody being available, i wouldn't assume masai would want to start over again since i think he has built a really nice core but still, what is he trying to do. Yeah, raptors need a sf that can hit 3s and defend, something like pj tucker, but if raptors can bring more talent through the FA, tobias or middleton, that would be great.

First off, welcome to the board.

There has been speculation that DeMar and his camp are seeking a mid max level contract, which will pay him somewhere around $23.5 million when he decides to become a FA. Some are suggesting Raptors dont want to pay that much and are looking to trade him. Have to let that play out for the moment.

I agree that Masai wont blow it up, even though he did admit the team peaked. He is trying to retool the roster, but also stockpiling some picks while he does so. Raps do have 4 first rounders the next 2 years and will continue to have a lot of cap space.

Im hearing that Middleton and the Bucks are close to signing a 5 year 70 million dollar contract, so the Raps will probably have to look for another FA. Aminu also signed with the Blazers, 4 year 30 million.

AC Earl
07-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Raps sign Demarre Carroll to 4 year/$60MM deal according to Sam Amick/USA Today

Sakkreth
07-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Amir Johnson signs with Boston (2yr 24mil) so he's gone.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Amir Johnson signs with Boston (2yr 24mil) so he's gone.
I wouldn't want him back at that price. Even for just 2 years.

kmart
07-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Masai answering my own questions from the OP.

Who do we keep from our FA? Who do we sign as UFA or RFA?

So far, we've signed Demarre and lost Amir, who was due for a huge payday. Losing Amir will hurt our frontcourt defensively, however we finally have perimeter defenders.

How much confidence does he have in Ross? Does he believe in Ross like the Warriors believed in Harrison Barnes? Or is Ross tradable to other teams?

Not traded yet, but I think if Masai can convince a max guy to sign Ross and Patterson will be gone for draft picks.

Who is picked at #20 overall? Will it be a project (ie. Bruno)? Or will he go with a proven college player?

Delon Wright was picked. Masai went with the proven college vet. Lots of emphasis on defence here.

Who are the assistant coaches going to be?

Jerry Stackhouse! I am curious to see how he can help out the Raptors' roster.

How to address the Raptors awful defence?

Huge emphasis on defence this year, so far Carroll and Wright have been added, both of which skillsets emphasize defence.

How to re-sign Lou or replace Lou?

So far, no. It seems like Masai is still targeting bigger pieces and defensive pieces as well.

kmart
07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m1 minute ago
ESPN sources say Raptors and Mavs still locked in battle for Wes Matthews. Yes: Raps still want him after striking deal with DeMarre Carroll

I don't like having Wes on the team especially after having an Achilles injury.

Legends66NBA7
07-02-2015, 02:06 AM
If the Raptors get Matthews at his asking price...

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4E1jrAgZDn8ZzazniKv9ylnP0X0=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3841044/Raptors_salary_cap.0.PNG

kmart
07-02-2015, 02:56 AM
If the Raptors get Matthews at his asking price...

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4E1jrAgZDn8ZzazniKv9ylnP0X0=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3841044/Raptors_salary_cap.0.PNG

I was reading and thought Wes wanted a contract in the ballpark of what Demarre got. Either way, if the Raps got Wes we could look out for a fun up and down type of team.

The goal if Wes signed would probably be shipping out Pat, Ross, and Johnson to get Alridge. Since Wes and Alridge are best friends one can dream, right?

A line up of Lowry, Derozan, Wes, Carroll, and Alridge :applause: . Of course it's a dream and we are the Raptors.

Legends66NBA7
07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/daldridgetnt

Raptors did well in meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge, but it is unlikely he picks the Raptors, per source.

Hmm mm. ... keep in mind, this is the same guy that said the Raptors would easily beat the Wizards in the playoffs... which means....

WE GOT LA IN THE BAG !! :banana: :djparty :party: :dancin :djparty :party: :banana:

Qwyjibo
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Casey's dream lineup is about to happen:

PG - Lowry
SG - Delon Wright
SF - Derozan
PF - Wes Matthews
C - Carroll

JV - 10 minutes per game
James Johnson - DNP-CD

Legends66NBA7
07-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I still remember that one game against Houston when they were getting blown out and Casey put out a lineup in the middle of the 4th ...

James Johnson
DeMar DeRozan
Terrence Ross
Greivis Vasquez
Kyle Lowry

:roll:

kmart
07-02-2015, 04:35 PM
David Aldridge
‏@daldridgetnt
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings: LaMarcus Aldridge has cancelled his meeting with the Knicks today, per source.

Toronto > New York :oldlol:

Jballer
07-03-2015, 09:30 AM
How to re-sign Lou or replace Lou?

So far, no. It seems like Masai is still targeting bigger pieces and defensive pieces as well.

"Another website" that shall not be named says Lou >> Miami Heat.

But it requires a sign and trade cause Miami only has a MLE.

Doubt we are asking for anything back except perhaps a Pick !

I assume the pursuit of Mathews is the trigger... in the sense that Carol / Mathews - Derozan / Ross is just too deep at 2/3 position

bk33
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I wonder who else we can sign with 10M left in our cap. I also wonders why we were still after WesMat after we got Carroll. With Amir, Tyler, Chuck leaving, we need a big more than a perimeter player. Now we can play PatPat/JJ at t PF but neither are true bigs and we still need a back up for Jonas. I don't think we have the budget for RoLo, that leaves JSmoove, Kanter, Jordan Hill, Ed Davis, and less idealy Brandon Bass. JSmoove is the best two-way player out of the bunch and he's proven with Houston that he's not as cancerous as his Detroit days would suggest. Brendan Wright would've been nice but he's going to Memphis.

kmart
07-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Now that Alridge has signed with the Spurs, I think there's a good chance that the Raptors will be after Cory Joseph.

DMV2
07-04-2015, 04:49 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI7DX3JUAAELXI8.jpg

Jballer
07-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Wow busy times..

So per NBA collective bargining as I recall.. minimum 13 but a league wide average of 14 players on the roster.

So just that I didnt miss any announcements:

The Team

In

1) Cory Joesph PG
2) Bismack Biyombo F/C
3) DeMarre Caroll SF / PF
4) Delon Wright PG / SG

Still Under Contract

5) Lowry PG
6) Derozan SG
7) Ross SG / SF
8) Valancuinas C
9) Patterson PF
10) J. Johnson SF / PF
11) Caboclo PF / SF
12) Nogueira C

I think I have that correct meaning 2 more likely to be signed....

Jballer
07-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Then this is what I think is "known"

Designated at D-League Contract

D Daniels PF

Out Confirmed.

Amir Johnson PF / C Celtics
Lou William SG / PG Lakers

No News

Landry Fields SF
Tyler Hansborough PF / C
Cedric Hayes PF / C

Jballer
07-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Best available at "cap space left" ????

1) Alan Anderson - SF / SG

(personal favorite - please yes)

--- ??? ----

2) Luis Scola - PF

3) Darrell Arther - PF (Denver - perhaps a connection)

Jballer
07-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Wow busy times..

So per NBA collective bargining as I recall.. minimum 13 but a league wide average of 14 players on the roster.

So just that I didnt miss any announcements:

The Team

In

1) Cory Joesph PG
2) Bismack Biyombo F/C
3) DeMarre Caroll SF / PF
4) Delon Wright PG / SG

Still Under Contract

5) Lowry PG
6) Derozan SG
7) Ross SG / SF
8) Valancuinas C
9) Patterson PF
10) J. Johnson SF / PF
11) Caboclo PF / SF
12) Nogueira C

I think I have that correct meaning 2 more likely to be signed....

Sorry I think that should read (going by memory):

Max 16 ~ with 2 Do not dress
League wide avg 14 on bench
13 minimum on bench
Therefore we should sign between 2 and 4 more total ...

But I think that also assume Caboclo/Nogueria will be classified as Did Not Dress or some such thing if they spend a lot of time on the D League team.
(unless as mentioned previous page D'AndreJ D League contract will count against the total as well ...)

Hmm this suggests 13 - 3 on two way rotations means 10

and 3 more players have to be signed.... ????

Any capologist expert can confirm ??

kmart
07-06-2015, 12:56 PM
So we went from

PG: Lowry / Vasquez
SG: Derozan / Lou
SF: Ross / James Johnson
PF: Amir Johnson / Patterson
C: Val / Psycho T

to

PG: Lowry/ Joseph/ Wright
SG: Derozan / Ross
SF: Carroll / James Johnson
PF: Patterson / Bebe (so far)
C: Val / Biyombo

Major upgrade defensively with both Vasquez and Lou leaving. Ross not starting will help a lot as well. Ross looks like he'll replace Lou as the new sixth man. Overall I like it, Masai has added players that want to play defence this year.

Jballer
07-06-2015, 03:04 PM
PG: Lowry/ Joseph/ Wright
SG: Derozan / Ross
SF: Carroll / James Johnson
PF: Patterson / Bebe (so far)
C: Val / Biyombo

Major upgrade defensively with both Vasquez and Lou leaving. Ross not starting will help a lot as well. Ross looks like he'll replace Lou as the new sixth man. Overall I like it, Masai has added players that want to play defence this year.

+1 ~ no disagreement.

Looks great on paper. I think the results will follow.

Question though - you have the same as I have (positions more clearly outlined)

<< no Bruno Cob in your line up?? NBDL totally??>>

11 Players.

Need an expert opinion but "I think" the team needs

1) Minimum 2 more

2) 3 more players if expected to meet the collective bargaining average 14

3) If Bebe (in your ranking) qualifies for time in the NBDL then he can be one of "two players not dressed" if I understand CBA correctly so actually 4 more players

--

Assuming we have 12 from Kmarts list with Bruno/Bebe included.

We need I think a minimum of 3 more so Bruno / Bebe qualify for DND or with the NBDL team.

12+3-2=13

If we have Bruno / Bebe / D'Andre on the big team we only need 2 more although 1 has to ride the pine (??)

12+2-2+1 (riding bench) = 13

Technically for margin I think we need 4 more depending on the DND - NBDL roster counts

--

Is anyone better than me at the CBA math i.e. roster spots ?

Ignoring the salary cap issue I mean.

Including the salary cap hit we have something like $10Million for 3 - 4 players which should be 1 real player 1 role player - and a couple of summer team guys on minimums or something like that.

kmart
07-06-2015, 05:16 PM
<< no Bruno Cob in your line up?? NBDL totally??>>

I took things in the perspective of regular rotation. Bruno, Bebe, Daniels, and Powell are all guys I see splitting time between the regular roster and the D-League roster, with the occasional call up. Wright obviously has the chance to crack the regular rotation, but I don't see it until later on in the season.

Legends66NBA7
07-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Lou and Ross also take out their anger on twitter/instagram, etc... basically, I think they are too worried about what the public eye thinks of them.

kmart
07-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Something was just off about the last year's Raptors squad. They were one of the best offences, but sometimes they couldn't score against a good defensive team. I remember when they got dominated at home against the Warriors, they couldn't muster any offence in their isolation type of basketball.

I felt that Lou had something to do with this with his play, rather than his two girlfriends. He is strictly a isolation type of player and I thought he was key to that type of culture. I also think that Lowry and Derozan being injured at different points in the season hurt the team as well.

kmart
07-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Lou and Ross also take out their anger on twitter/instagram, etc... basically, I think they are too worried about what the public eye thinks of them.

Agreed, you'll see Ross posting rants all the time when things don't go his way.

Hopefully, he defends himself through his play rather than Instagram or Twitter this upcoming season.

Qwyjibo
07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
As of right now, I see the main rotation as:

Lowry, Derozan, Carroll, Patterson, JV as the starters.

Joseph, JJ, Ross (for now) and Biyombo as the primary backups. With Wright getting some minutes here and there as well.

Not exactly the strongest 9-10 man rotation.

kmart
07-08-2015, 12:40 AM

Joseph, JJ, Ross (for now) and Biyombo as the primary backups. With Wright getting some minutes here and there as well.

I think we will see a signing or trade for a PF soon. No way we go into the season with Patterson, JV, and Biyombo as our front court rotation.

As for Ross, I think stepping out of the starting rotation will be good for him. He will no longer have the task of guarding the opponents best player, which will be good for him.

We will have to see the summer league progress of Bebe and Wright as well. I'm hoping one of the young guys will step up this upcoming season.

Sakkreth
07-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Get Taj Gibson somehow.

Masai you can do this.

Jballer
07-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Good post mighty Q.:cheers:

A "combative" starting 5 - 9.

Defensively hanging in there; keeping games close.

Not exactly a threat to take a run offensively unless

(1) Derozan is un-injured all season and can be counted on for 20pts + a nite
(2) Klow as above except more assists less points i.e 15/10
(3) JV grows and starts pumping out double doubles every nite...i.e. 12 points 10 rebounds
(4) TRoss finds consistency
(5) Patterson finds consistency

This team"with the defensive focus" is not as talented on paper as last years version... i.e. missing Lou / Vasquez who were creative ; Amir who was consistent.

However I am far from 'discontent'. This line up in the Eastern Conference ...if it plays with consistency.. should be good for 44 wins.

Not really a step backwards if it will grind out any playoff experience and take it to round 2.

Legends66NBA7
07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Let's see...

PG: Kyle Lowry/Cory Joseph/Delon Wright
SG: DeMar DeRozan/Terrence Ross/Norman Powell
SF: DeMarre Carroll/James Johnson/Bruno Caboclo/DeAndre Daniels
PF: Patrick Patterson/Luis Scola
C: Jonas Valanciunas/Bismack Biyombo/Lucas Nogueira

Unless there's a trade on the way (Masai has said it's unlikely that he will keep all 4 1st round picks for the next 2 years), that's going to be 15 man roster. I expect a lot of small ball this season after the success of the Warriors.

kmart
07-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Let's see...

PG: Kyle Lowry/Cory Joseph/Delon Wright
SG: DeMar DeRozan/Terrence Ross/Norman Powell
SF: DeMarre Carroll/James Johnson/Bruno Caboclo/DeAndre Daniels
PF: Patrick Patterson/Luis Scola
C: Jonas Valanciunas/Bismack Biyombo/Lucas Nogueira

Unless there's a trade on the way (Masai has said it's unlikely that he will keep all 4 1st round picks for the next 2 years), that's going to be 15 man roster. I expect a lot of small ball this season after the success of the Warriors.

No guarantees that Powell and Daniels are on the roster. Masai could easily send them to the D-League or Europe for a year until he feels they are NBA ready, like he did with Daniels last year. I could see him trying to do that considering the lack of depth upfront.

kmart
07-11-2015, 06:02 PM
No guarantees that Powell and Daniels are on the roster. Masai could easily send them to the D-League or Europe for a year until he feels they are NBA ready, like he did with Daniels last year. I could see him trying to do that considering the lack of depth upfront.

After watching Powell play, he'll most likely be on the roster.

Legends66NBA7
07-11-2015, 07:56 PM
After watching Powell play, he'll most likely be on the roster.

I knew he would be there just off the footage I've seen from him. He's god with and without the ball, just needs to improve his shot more. It also sucks that DeAndre Daniels ended up suffering a Jones fracture. That pretty much all but guarantees Powell's spot, unconventionally.

Also, liked what I saw from Bruno, Delon, Bebe, and Roberts (maybe he'll be the Hassan Whiteside gem Masai doesn't let go off ??).

kmart
07-12-2015, 02:08 AM
I knew he would be there just off the footage I've seen from him. He's god with and without the ball, just needs to improve his shot more. It also sucks that DeAndre Daniels ended up suffering a Jones fracture. That pretty much all but guarantees Powell's spot, unconventionally.

Also, liked what I saw from Bruno, Delon, Bebe, and Roberts (maybe he'll be the Hassan Whiteside gem Masai doesn't let go off ??).

Powell needs to work on his shot which is an obvious, but also his court vision as well. He always drives in a straight line and is unable to find wide open teamates on the court. I love the athlethism ,aggressiveness and passion he plays with, but offensively he can be much better.

Delon Wright had an excellent game has well, he is probably the opposite of Powell in terms of court awareness. Delon was picking apart the Kings D, managing to get 9 assists and no turnovers. Similar to Powell though, he still needs shot improvement.

I thought Bruno has made excellent strides since his tough summer league last year. He's still raw, but the improvement is a good thing. He'll need to improve on strength and ball handling, as well as being more consistent on the defensive end.

kmart
07-12-2015, 11:06 PM
David Pick ‏@IAmDPick 35m35 minutes ago
Toronto Raptors finalizing a partial-guaranteed deal with forward Ronald Roberts, a source said.

Summer league player who put up big numbers, especially in the rebounding department.

Legends66NBA7
07-13-2015, 12:19 AM
David Pick ‏@IAmDPick 35m35 minutes ago
Toronto Raptors finalizing a partial-guaranteed deal with forward Ronald Roberts, a source said.

Summer league player who put up big numbers, especially in the rebounding department.

They need a 3rd PF as well. Masai probably also doesn't want another potential Hassan Whiteside to slip under him.

Along with Powell and Wright, they should round up the final 15 man roster.

kmart
07-13-2015, 11:38 AM
They need a 3rd PF as well. Masai probably also doesn't want another potential Hassan Whiteside to slip under him.

Along with Powell and Wright, they should round up the final 15 man roster.

I think it's a partial guaranteed contract, so look for him to compete with 2-3 other players for his spot.

Legends66NBA7
07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
In other news, the Raptors coaching staff is now complete.

http://www.raptorshq.com/2015/7/12/8942467/raptors-complete-coaching-staff-reconfiguration-with-hiring-of-andy

Toronto has hired Andy Greer as assistant coach, league source tells Yahoo. He'll run Raptors defense, a Thibodeau/Van Gundy disciple.

Remodel of Casey's staff appears complete. In: Greer/Kalamian/Stackhouse. Holdovers: Nurse/Mahlalela. Mermuys to DLeague. Out: Bayno/Sterner

Defense was the entire theme this off season. Top 10 defense next year at the very least.

kmart
07-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Marc Stein on TSN today

- He thinks Scola is a steal at 3 million a year.
- Eyebrows raised on Cory Joseph signing. Will have to wait and see with more playing time.
- He thinks the East is pretty much over with Cleveland. He's intrigued by the Bucks this upcoming season.
- He thinks Valancuinas will get a contract close to what Kanter will get. Someone will pay Valancuinas next summer.
- T Ross is tradable, if they want to move him. They won't get a good return for him though.

EDIT link:
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/stein-valanciunas-and-ross-are-tradeable-assets-1.330771

Legends66NBA7
07-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Marc Stein on TSN today

- He thinks Scola is a steal at 3 million a year.

He was pretty much all they had left in the FA market, but I like the Scola signing anyways.

- Eyebrows raised on Cory Joseph signing. Will have to wait and see with more playing time.

It will be interesting to see how he and Delon will play into the rotation, seemed like a move to just get a Canadian. Hope he improves his range.

- He thinks the East is pretty much over with Cleveland. He's intrigued by the Bucks this upcoming season.

He's right. The East is horseshit outside of Cleveland; legit nobody is a serious threat outside of Cleveland. We don't even know how well Cleveland would hold up if they were in the West. Not buying Milwaukee's hype just yet.

- He thinks Valancuinas will get a contract close to what Kanter will get. Someone will pay Valancuinas next summer.

Valanciunas is a RFA. Raptors will match every offer and they will.

- T Ross is tradable, if they want to move him. They won't get a good return for him though.

Ross isn't going anywhere, Masai even said so in another interview. Ross will try to replace Lou Williams as the main scorer off the bench.

EDIT link:
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/stein-valanciunas-and-ross-are-tradeable-assets-1.330771

My thoughts in the bold.

Legends66NBA7
07-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Raptors sign Norman Powell

http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-releases/powell-071515

[QUOTE]The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have signed guard Norman Powell. Per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Powell, 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, was selected 46th overall by Toronto in the 2015 NBA Draft. Through three Summer League games in Las Vegas he leads the Raptors averaging 19.3 points and is shooting 22-for-37 (.595) from the field. Powell has led the team in scoring in all three Summer League games, including a team-high 20 points during his professional debut
July 10 vs. Sacramento.

Powell appeared in 141 games over four seasons at UCLA and averaged a career-high 16.4 points during the 2014-15 campaign. He ranks 28th on the Bruins

Jballer
07-21-2015, 12:39 PM
I guess Powell > Alan Andersen.

Good enough... kid deserves a chance.

Legends66NBA7
07-27-2015, 10:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/powerrankings/07/27/summer2015/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3c

Raptors ranked 12th.

Toronto*(49-33)*

Pace:*95.4 (20)*OffRtg:*108.1 (3)*DefRtg:*104.8 (23)*NetRtg:*+3.2 (10)

Key addition(s):*DeMarre Carroll, Cory Joseph, Luis Scola*

Key question:*Does Jonas Valanciunas fit on this team, in this league?*
Getting swept in the playoffs overshadowed that this was a strong team last season, but Dwane Casey wants to get back to playing top-10 defense. The addition of Carroll will obviously help in that regard, but if Valanciunas and his slow feet continue to be a liability on that end of the floor, he won't be seeing much fourth-quarter playing time.

Kungfro
08-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Recent picture with Lowry, really slimmed down.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/yVV2GP.png

kmart
08-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Raptors sign Shannon Scott from OSU on a partially guaranteed deal. My guess is that he'll be cut and sent to Raptors' 905.

kmart
08-17-2015, 04:48 PM
According to Lithuania reports, Valancuinas is flying to Toronto to sign a long term deal. He recently tweaked his groin in international play.

Legends66NBA7
08-17-2015, 06:01 PM
According to Lithuania reports, Valancuinas is flying to Toronto to sign a long term deal. He recently tweaked his groin in international play.

Played it safe, good on him.

Could have commanded a max contract if he significantly improved.

kmart
08-19-2015, 01:35 PM
He would've gained a max contract on the open market, only thing stopping the max contract would be injuries. Kanter got the max and I'd say Val is better than Kanter.

Legends66NBA7
08-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Slow news days are slow. At least pre season is about 6 weeks away.

:dancin

BRabbiT
09-29-2015, 06:02 AM
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3247683.1443507296!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/raptors-092815-620.jpg

There was plenty to take in at Media Day (http://www.nba.com/raptors/holly-blog/mediaday-092815)....

* Key free-agent acquisition Carroll said he’s spent the past few weeks in Toronto, working out with new teammates & exploring the city. Speaking about the excitement he’s seen from Raptors fans, he promised to bring the “grit & grind” to Toronto. After playing in one of the NBA’s best offences with the Atlanta Hawks last season, Carroll wants to show his teammates that unselfish play results in success for everyone involved.

“Once you see it, you see the success in it, it kind of takes you by storm,” Carroll said. “Just like an average individual, you might go do something & it might not work, but if you see success in it, you keep doing it. I think once you see success in it, it makes you want to do it even more.

“Passing up a good shot for a great shot,” he continued. “I think if I can kind of bring that over here too, teach guys that every shot you get that’s a good shot, you can always pass up for a great shot.”

* “Luis is the best,” Lowry said. “He's my guy. He's been a friend now for years, I played with him 3 & a half years in Houston, & when I seen that signing, I actually really smiled & I was excited to get back here. I know his family, his kids, I look forward to seeing him now.”

* “(Scola) is spectacular,” Ujiri said. “When we spoke to teams that have had him, the one thing (that kept coming up) was you can’t keep him out of the gym. He keeps coming & practice & practice and working out. He’s just that kind of guy. He’s built that way. He’s made himself very durable for a long time. He’s going to add to us. Super person. Super family. We’re excited to have him.”

* “(new additions) come from winning programs,” Ujiri said. “They’ve won where they’ve been. They understand how to create a culture of winning basketball. Being around these guys these last few weeks has been so impressive, just the way they carry themselves on the court, around their teammates, even the people who work here. They’ve been phenomenal for us. We’re excited to add those guys.”

“I know they’ll bring more than basketball on the court, especially guys like Scola & Cory,” Continued. “I couldn’t believe it. They played on [a] Saturday in Mexico [for FIBA Americas]. & they were in here on Monday w/lifting. It says a lot about them. DeMarre has been here the last couple of weeks [as well]. It’s impressive. Hopefully all of those good traits translate to the court & win.”

* “Kyle put his nose to the grind & did that all himself,” Casey said. “He’s the one who had his own trainer. He had his own regimen that he went through this summer that most of our guys probably couldn’t make it through. He ran the hills in Vegas, he did a lot of stuff that he did on his own. & my hat is off to him for doing that because he could’ve relaxed & took the summer off but he didn’t. He knew what he had to do & he did it.”

* “It's a new day, a new year, media day,” Lowry said. “It's a new training camp, now we've got to do something with it.”

* “First & foremost we’ve got to think defensively,” Carroll said. “We’ll start there."

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/85/files/2015/09/bismack-biyombo-luis-scola-jonas-valanciunas-nba-toronto-raptors-media-day-850x560.jpg

Jonas Valanciunas appeared in 80 games for Toronto last season (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25320304/raptors-dwane-casey-its-time-for-jonas-valanciunas-to-play-in-fourth-quarter), & in 23 of them, he sat out for the entire 4th quarter. In the other 57, he averaged 5.1 minutes in the final frame, compared to 7.8 for Lowry & 7.0 for DeRozan.

Valanciunas' continual end-of-game absences have been routine throughout his first 3 years, but they were a bigger topic of discussion last season as he developed into one of the league's most efficient post scorers. Dwane Casey knew that some people wished things would change, & he brought the subject up unprompted on Monday.

"There's been a lot made about JV finishing games," Casey said. "Well, he's getting to the point of his career, w/the experience, that he should be able to do that. I noticed they didn't use him as much in Europe at the end of games, but we plan to use him, especially offensively, down the stretch.

"Father time is a great teacher & developer of those kind of situations," Casey added.

If Casey is to sit Valanciunas, there's no longer a veteran safety net.
Biyombo is the backup center, & Toronto's troupe of power forwards -- Patterson, Scola & Bennett -- don't have the size to easily shift up a position.

For Valanciunas, this is a chance for a true breakout. He's made progress in each of his 3 years, but has never averaged more than the 28.2 minutes he did in 2013-14. Toronto will be looking for him to become more mobile on defense, protect the paint & avoid foul trouble. He said that he's ready & in shape to play a lot of minutes, especially after a strong showing at EuroBasket for the silver medal-winning Lithuanian team. It's his time now.