PDA

View Full Version : Warriors legend Rick Barry: LeBron is 'the greatest Small Forward to ever play'

Lebron23
06-04-2015, 10:55 AM
http://www.hoopsaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/barry608.jpg

Tomorrow night, LeBron James will be playing in his fifth consecutive NBA Finals. This a feat that hasn't been accomplished since the 1960s, when Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics were dominating the league. James is routinely labeled as the best player in the NBA but as Hall of Famer and Warriors great Rick Barry told Scott Ferrall of CBS Sports Radio's "Ferrall On The Bench," James is already the greatest small forward to ever play.

Here is Barry's full quote:

I think LeBron is the greatest three to ever play the game. And as great as he is, he still has room for improvement. If that was ever to happen and he really refined his game more, they may have to outlaw him, he's so good. He's an anomaly, I mean he really is. There's never been anybody like him with his size, his athleticism, his feel for the game.

This is high praise coming from Barry especially since he played the small forward position. Barry also ranks James higher than other legendary small forwards like Larry Bird and Elgin Baylor.

James has a long list of accolades that includes four MVPs, two championship rings and two All-Star Game MVPs. His career averages of 27.3 points, 7.1 rebounds and 6.9 assists are ridiculous numbers and as Barry points out, James could still be getting better. Barry may be right, there will probably never be another small forward that can challenge the throne of King James.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25203819/rick-barry-thinks-lebron-is-the-greatest-three-to-ever-play

Fudge
06-04-2015, 11:00 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130519211826/caillou/images/4/42/FB,60,43,pasta-resimleri-caillou-kitap-okuyor-pasta-resimleri.jpg

catch24
06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
That makes sense. He probably considers Larry a PF.

SilkkTheShocker
06-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Maybe you should stop being such a butthurt f.aggot

alec613
06-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Bird is still higher in all-time in rankings, but LeBron is definitely the better player

Trollsmasher
06-04-2015, 11:17 AM

This is high praise coming from Barry especially since he played the small forward position. Barry also ranks James higher than other legendary small forwards like Larry Bird and Elgin Baylor.
:coleman:

scm5
06-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm not a Lebron fan or supporter by any means, but if you don't think he at least has a case over Bird as the greatest SF ever, you're hating or stuck in the past.

My only issue with Lebron's greatness is how he obtained his rings, so far. What he's been able to do with mediocre supporting casts is pretty remarkable.

I guess this season, he'll show us what he can do with a cast that can no longer be called stacked (injuries), but is far from mediocre.

iamgine
06-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Rick Barry is captain obvious.

DMAVS41
06-04-2015, 12:51 PM
peak vs peak...Bird vs Lebron is close for me.

But Lebron will ultimately, if he doesn't already, deserve to be ranked higher because of his longevity.

all evidence is pointing to Lebron having one of the best careers ever in terms of longevity.

Beastmode88
06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
And the GOAT, MJ, said he would stop Lebron by making him go left.

oarabbus
06-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Still think Bird > Lebron.

But Lebron definitely can overtake him.

Magic 32
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Makes sense.

He prefers stats over winning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTt_TxoFVo&t=0m31s

CavaliersFTW
06-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Okay so now I know 3 of Rick Barry's starting top 5 players (by position) ever:

PG:
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF:
C: Wilt Chamberlain

He also starts his team by picking the center first so his top pick all-time is Wilt as was posted in the video above. I wonder who he puts at PG and PF.

sd3035
06-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Okay so now I know 3 of Rick Barry's starting top 5 players (by position) ever:

PG:
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: LeBron James
PF:
C: Wilt Chamberlain

He also starts his team by picking the center first so his top pick all-time is Wilt as was posted in the video above. I wonder who he puts at PG and PF.

Don't discredit Barry so quickly, let the Bran bandwagon stanbase have their moment in the sun

pauk
06-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Its not an absurd statement.... i mean Bird and Lebron have kindof identical resumes (i think so) and then when you talk about talent i think Lebron has him beat when considering both ends of the floor...

I still rank Bird ahead though... if Lebrons wins this Finals he will have as many rings, but 1 more fmvp, together with already 1 more mvp not to mention much else which he already has more of... then yea, might have to give way...

Rolando
06-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Trying to step back from homerism....

Lebron has GOAT basketball IQ. Just like Bird. =
Lebron has GOAT athleticism. Better than Bird. +1 Lebron
Bird is an mother f'en Alpha Killer. Better than Lebron. +1 Bird
Bird better in the Post and Shooting. +1 Bird
Lebron is a better defender. +1 Lebron

.......Bird and Lebron are about equal, at the moment. If Lebron can continue with what he's been doing. He will be greater because of longevity.

Beastmode88
06-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Its not an absurd statement.... i mean Bird and Lebron have kindof identical resumes (i think so) and then when you talk about talent i think Lebron has him beat when considering both ends of the floor...

I still rank Bird ahead though... if Lebrons wins this Finals he will have as many rings, but 1 more fmvp, together with already 1 more mvp not to mention much else which he already has more of... then yea, might have to give way...

resumes tend to lie.. bird played vs show time... lebron played vs who again? :rolleyes:

Papaya Petee
06-04-2015, 04:18 PM
If LeBron wins the FMVP and Title this season, the argument vs Bird is over.

They're about tied right now.

But at 4 MVPS, 3 Rings 3 FMVPS, Bird will have no argument over Bron.

Hey Yo
06-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Don't discredit Barry so quickly, let the Bran bandwagon stanbase have their moment in the sun
Says the guy who had a Cavs avatar, then Spurs and finally decided on GS.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
resumes tend to lie.. bird played vs show time... lebron played vs who again? :rolleyes:

People on ISH never look at context. Bird played in a historical bloodbath of a conference while LeBron played in a historically weak conference like Magic where it was a cakewalk. Bird had to go up against all-time great teams every year: Magic + Kareem, Dr. J + Moses, Bad Boy Pistons, etc. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Bird is very similar to Duncan. Bad circumstances. Both never repeated because they had to face a team with 2 top 10's of all time with their peaks sandwiched right between their's, so there was a very small window to win chips, which both did exactly 1 year before and in between the others winning more chips.

inclinerator
06-04-2015, 04:55 PM
People on ISH never look at context. Bird played in a historical bloodbath of a conference while LeBron played in a historically weak conference like Magic where it was a cakewalk. Bird had to go up against all-time great teams every year: Magic + Kareem, Dr. J + Moses, Bad Boy Pistons, etc. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Bird is very similar to Duncan. Bad circumstances. Both never repeated because they had to face a team with 2 top 10's of all time with their peaks sandwiched right between their's, so there was a very small window to win chips, which both did exactly 1 year before and in between the others winning more chips.
come on bird's team is arguably the greatest team of all time

Solefade
06-04-2015, 05:08 PM

.......Bird and Lebron are about equal, at the moment. If Lebron can continue with what he's been doing. He will be greater because of longevity.

Lebron is a better passer and driving to the basket

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Larry NEVER jumped ship in the middle of his career to join a stacked team of buddies!.

Larry revitalized Boston from the moment he got there and stayed with them as the team was getting worse! What Lebron did was like Bird going to the Pistons, Sixers or Mavs after 1987! Jumping teams to try and play with younger up coming superstars.

NEVER compare Lebron to guys like Magic, Bird, Erving or Isaiah. Guys that retired from their ONLY NBA team!

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 05:15 PM
And LeBron is NOT a better passer than Bird for God's sake

Hey Yo
06-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Larry NEVER jumped ship in the middle of his career to join a stacked team of buddies!.

Larry revitalized Boston from the moment he got there and stayed with them as the team was getting worse! What Lebron did was like Bird going to the Pistons, Sixers or Mavs after 1987! Jumping teams to try and play with younger up coming superstars.

NEVER compare Lebron to guys like Magic, Bird, Erving or Isaiah. Guys that retired from their ONLY NBA team!
Why would Bird want to jump ship?

PP34Deuce
06-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Lebron is a better passer than Bird. Not just fundamentally but due to his IQ and athletiscm he is able to see the floor and truly make passes Bird couldn't.

Solefade
06-04-2015, 05:38 PM

uhh he is lol

SilkkTheShocker
06-04-2015, 05:43 PM
uhh he is lol

For real. We should just ignore grandpa and let him sleep :oldlol:

midatlantic09
06-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Still think Bird > Lebron.

But Lebron definitely can overtake him.

There's absolutely NO reason why Bird should rank higher than Lebron on anyone's all-time list. Lebron has surpassed him in pretty much everything so I'm not quite sure why many of you still hold Bird in such high esteem aside from having certain biases.

Beastmode88
06-04-2015, 05:49 PM
There's absolutely NO reason why Bird should rank higher than Lebron on anyone's all-time list. Lebron has surpassed him in pretty much everything so I'm not quite sure why many of you still hold Bird in such high esteem aside from having certain biases.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Name the top 10 teams that lebron plays vs. Imagine Lebron having to deal with laimbeer. Teletovic had lebron shook already.

ralph_i_el
06-04-2015, 05:52 PM
It's tough to compare Bird And Bran. Bran will have a much longer career. Bird has the peak dominance. Bran has had way less help.

Beastmode88
06-04-2015, 05:56 PM
It's tough to compare Bird And Bran. Bran will have a much longer career. Bird has the peak dominance. Bran has had way less help.

Also way less competition.

ArbitraryWater
06-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Also way less competition.

see, it evens out :confusedshrug:

greymatter
06-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Lebron is a better passer than Bird. Not just fundamentally but due to his IQ and athletiscm he is able to see the floor and truly make passes Bird couldn't.

Lebron could create more easily because of his athleticism, but Lebron does not come anywhere close to Bird at actual passing. The only passes that Bron could make that Bird couldn't are bullet passes. In terms of precision passing, he's vastly inferior to Bird. Lebron has a much higher % of passes to the paint which result in turnovers whereas Bird was far better at hitting McHale and Parish where only they could catch and finish.

SHAQisGOAT
06-04-2015, 06:19 PM

[B]LeBron's IQ can't really touch Bird's, tbh.

Bron's more athletic (Bird was taller though), a better overall defender (mostly due to being a better athlete), better at running point (again, mostly due to being a better athlete), better finisher at the rim...

Bird...
-was a better shooter from pretty much everywhere
-was a better rebounder
-was a better pure passer
-had a better post-game
-possessed better footwork
-had better use of both hands from up close
-was a better team defender and a better post-defender
-was clutcher
-had a superior IQ
-was a better leader
-was much better at adapting to any teammate and strategy
-was easily more mentally tougher

As overall players, Bird had a better peak/prime.

And Larry was winning his MVP's in a time where the league had Kareem, Magic, Jordan, Moses, Dr J... Competitive af, no kiddie play or buddy shit, much less star treatment and bending of rules.
He was winning his rings in a stacked league/conference... Playing against the Showtime Lakers, Moses/Dr J's 76ers, Bad Boys Pistons, 80's Bucks, Twin-Towers Rockets... Wanna compare it to LeBron's competition? :oldlol:

Anyways, people will still do them all-time lists while majorly neglecting things like competition and what not... Regardless, Bird's peak > LeBron's peak as overall players, that can never change.

'84 Finals game5, motha****ing Larry Bird was running laps around players, playing great, being clutch, with the temperature at 97

LikeABosh
06-04-2015, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=SHAQisGOAT][B]LeBron's IQ can't really touch Bird's, tbh.

Bron's more athletic (Bird was taller though), a better overall defender (mostly due to being a better athlete), better at running point (again, mostly due to being a better athlete), better finisher at the rim...

Bird...
-was a better shooter from pretty much everywhere
-was a better rebounder
-was a better pure passer
-had a better post-game
-possessed better footwork
-had better use of both hands from up close
-was a better team defender and a better post-defender
-was clutcher
-had a superior IQ
-was a better leader
-was much better at adapting to any teammate and strategy

As overall players, Bird had a better peak/prime.

And Larry was winning his MVP's in a time where the league had Kareem, Magic, Jordan, Moses, Dr J... Competitive af, no kiddie play or buddy shit, much less star treatment and bending of rules.
He was winning his rings in a stacked league/conference... Playing against the Showtime Lakers, Moses/Dr J's 76ers, Bad Boys Pistons, 80's Bucks, Twin-Towers Rockets... Wanna compare it to LeBron's competition? :oldlol:

Anyways, people will still do them all-time lists while majorly neglecting things like competition and what not... Regardless, Bird's peak > LeBron's peak as overall players, that can never change.

'84 Finals game5, motha****ing Larry Bird was running laps around players, playing great, being clutch, with the temperature at 97

SHAQisGOAT
06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Bran has had way less help.

Like I've said, pretty much a myth perpetuated by people who don't know much about all of that.

And, Bird's competition (individual and collective) >> LeBron's