PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the greatest NBA Finals of all time...

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 01:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKufNG8xLI

The 1984 7 game epic between the Lakers and Celtics. No other finals in HISTORY had the storylines this series had. The history, white vs black, coast vs coast, Bird vs Magic in their prime with stacked teams behind them, great timeless offenses with hard nosed defense, violent fouls, physical confrontations, hatred etc... Those will never be topped. Hell those guys hate each other ti'll this day!

I like to hear some thoughts on the series from the people that actually say it.

Mr Feeny
06-04-2015, 03:03 PM

The 1984 7 game epic between the Lakers and Celtics. No other finals in HISTORY had the storylines this series had. The history, white vs black, coast vs coast, Bird vs Magic in their prime with stacked teams behind them, great timeless offenses with hard nosed defense, violent fouls, physical confrontations, hatred etc... Those will never be topped. Hell those guys hate each other ti'll this day!

I like to hear some thoughts on the series from the people that actually say it.Respectfully. Most neutrals would argue it's the 2013 finals and I agree. The final two games where Miami were on the brink were two of the best games period, in recent memory.
Before that, I had the 97 Bulls Jazz series as the best I'd seen.

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 03:34 PM
The 1984 Finals went to the final minute of game 7 in the legendary Boston Garden, that alone blows away the 97' Finals.

I agree the 2013 series had a very good ending, the teams were not as good or deep as those in 1984 and Duncan vs Lebron can't hold a candle to Magic vs Larry.

sammichoffate
06-04-2015, 03:44 PM
2006-Greatest Finals performance by a single player I've ever seen
2010-Greatest one I've seen live

Young X
06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
The internet wouldn't be able to handle game 4 of this series if it happened today. From McHale's clothesline on Rambis to Bird's gamewinner over Magic to Magic's "chokes" at the end of regulation and OT. There would be so many meltdowns.

Da_Realist
06-04-2015, 03:54 PM
This was a few years before my time. I saw it years after the fact and honestly...as great as that series was, there is something lost when you watch it knowing who will win.

I would submit the 1988 NBA Finals. No one seemed to give Detroit a chance. I remember watching Detroit come into Chicago one weekend and beat the snot out of the Bulls from tip to buzzer for two straight games. Dusted them on Saturday and then did it again the next day.

I watched them beat Boston in six knowing that only a controversial call on McHale's three in Game 2 allowed it go even that far.

I think everyone that watched the East knew Detroit was for real. Nationally, everyone assumed the Lakers would be there. They were the glamour team of the 80's, the defending champs and they were always there.

Detroit had the nerve to beat the other glamour team.

I remember telling people that Detroit could beat LA. They had a hunger that no other team had. Everyone assumed it would be a foregone conclusion because Boston was always considered to be the Lakers only worthy opponent.

So I'm sitting there, almost 12 years old, rooting hard for Magic on one hand while feeling vindicated by Detroit on the other. I hated Detroit but I liked how they represented the East. I liked how there were no pushovers coming out of the East even if I hated Detroit. (This feeling took over two years later when I actually rooted for Detroit against Portland for this very reason.)

The last two games were a masterpiece. The tension of "I hate Detroit" but liking how they represent the East was personified in Isiah's Game 6 performance. Oh, and the Lakers won so I was happy because deep down I just couldn't root for Detroit yet.

Game 7 should have been a blowout. Detroit almost did the impossible with an ailing leader. Kareem capped off his career with two clutch free throws that most people don't fully give him credit for. Great win by the Lakers. Great showing by Detroit. My only regret is that the Lakers were injured in the rematch the next year. Detroit still would have won, though.

To this day, I'm partial to the physical brand of Eastern conference basketball even if I don't like the team.

ArbitraryWater
06-04-2015, 03:55 PM
2010-Greatest one I've seen live

2010 had what, one close game? One and a half with game 3?

-Realist, DET was robbed in game 6, though.

RagaZ
06-04-2015, 03:58 PM
2011 had 6 close games.

2013 had, what, 3? And 2010 had 2?

SexSymbol
06-04-2015, 03:59 PM
2010 is the best finals series I've ever seen. There was something interesting in every game.

If we talk playoff series in general, chi-bos in I think 09 was amazing.

ClipperRevival
06-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Game 7 of 2010, the home crowd almost willed the Lakers to the win. I remember being down 13 early in the 3rd quarter and I thought we might lose. But the home crowd never let up. One of the best wins in history for me. And to do it against Boston, even sweeter.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Duncan vs Lebron can't hold a candle to Magic vs Larry.

You'd be surprised.

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Great run through of the 1988 Finals Realist!

That was actually my second favorite series of the decade. Those last 2 games were indeed intense. Isiah may have been hobbled but the Lakers were basically playing 4 against 5 on offense because Kareem literally fell off a cliff in those Finals as age finally caught up with him. At least he showed he was still clutch from the free throw line.

I will ALWAYS have debates about what might have happened in 1989 with the Lakers completely healthy. Detroit would've still been favorites but people forget that the margin of victory for the Pistons was actually only about 4 to 5 points for the series. The Lakers were 11-0 in the playoffs up to that point and playing the best basketball they had since probably 1987! So I would've liked to see them go at it before I would definitely say that the Pistons would've won.

The thing about that Detroit team in that stretch is that aside from being physically tough they were UNBRAKABLE mentally. Just looking at Isaiah, Dumars and Laimbeer gave me chills as a fan knowing that nothing was going to rattle them specially after 1988!

Droid101
06-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Respectfully. Most neutrals would argue it's the 2013 finals and I agree.
:roll:

ClipperRevival
06-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Great run through of the 1988 Finals Realist!

That was actually my second favorite series of the decade. Those last 2 games were indeed intense. Isiah may have been hobbled but the Lakers were basically playing 4 against 5 on offense because Kareem literally fell off a cliff in those Finals as age finally caught up with him. At least he showed he was still clutch from the free throw line.

I will ALWAYS have debates about what might have happened in 1989 with the Lakers completely healthy. Detroit would've still been favorites but people forget that the margin of victory for the Pistons was actually only about 4 to 5 points for the series. The Lakers were 11-0 in the playoffs up to that point and playing the best basketball they had since probably 1987! So I would've liked to see them go at it before I would definitely say that the Pistons would've won.

The thing about that Detroit team in that stretch is that aside from being physically tough they were UNBRAKABLE mentally. Just looking at Isaiah, Dumars and Laimbeer gave me chills as a fan knowing that nothing was going to rattle them specially after 1988!

I would have to disagree about us being able to beat Detroit in 1989 even if Magic and Scott were healthy. We were just an older team and it was Detroit's time. We were 62-20 in 1988 and 57-25 in 1989. On the flip side, Detroit was 54-28 in 1988 and 63-19 in 1989. They were a team on the rise while we were a team on the decline.

Heck, we could've EASILY lost in 1988 against them also. Had Isiah not been injured in game 6 and that phantom call against Laimbeer in game 7. It is what it is. At least we got 1 from them.

Wade's Rings
06-04-2015, 04:27 PM

:applause:

Spurs5Rings2014
06-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Heck, we could've EASILY lost in 1988 against them also. Had Isiah not been injured in game 6 and that phantom call against Laimbeer in game 7. It is what it is. At least we got 1 from them.

They should of 3peated, you robbed them. Matter fact, you got Clippers in your name, so you're a bandwagoner anyways.

:coleman:

BigNBAfan
06-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Respectfully. Most neutrals would argue it's the 2013 finals and I agree. The final two games where Miami were on the brink were two of the best games period, in recent memory.
Before that, I had the 97 Bulls Jazz series as the best I'd seen.

:biggums:

Wade's Rings
06-04-2015, 04:32 PM
2010 had what, one close game? One and a half with game 3?

Games 2-5 were all blowouts in 2013.

That series isn't the Greatest Finals of All-Time.

@OP I like the 2006 & 2011 Finals. Had multiple close Games. 2009 had 3 straight close games and it was good for me.

Outside of the Finals I loved the 1st Round between Chicago & Boston in 2009.

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 04:32 PM
The Magic vs Bird rivalry saved the NBA and was the most culturally significant matchup the NBA has ever had because of the racial dynamics. They were leading the two most storied franchises in NBA with lineups full of hall of famers and all-stars staging a 7 game blood bath.

What was the appeal of Lebron vs Duncan again?!? Aside from the fact that LeBron was just a gun for hire on the Heat, what cultural significance or mass appeal did those Finals have.

Not to mention the horrendous ratings the 2013 Finals had, a 9.3?!? The Celtics and Lakers had a 12.3!!! You have to go back to the early 80's when the games were on friggin tape delay to find series that did worse than a 10.0!.

Lebron vs Duncan never had and never will have the appeal of Magic vs Larry

Da_Realist
06-04-2015, 04:38 PM

That's the perfect way to describe that team. They had a way of making a 5 point lead feel like 15. Very mentally tough.

Carter_17
06-04-2015, 04:38 PM
30years old finals are irelevant. Put any top 25 guard in a time machine and send him back and he will be MVP, FMVP as long as he plays.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-04-2015, 04:41 PM
30years old finals are irelevant. Put any top 25 guard in a time machine and send him back and he will be MVP, FMVP as long as he plays.

Don't do 'em like that.

:oldlol:

ClipperRevival
06-04-2015, 04:43 PM
They should of 3peated, you robbed them. Matter fact, you got Clippers in your name, so you're a bandwagoner anyways.

:coleman:

I am a die hard Laker fan, first and foremost. I do like the Clippers too. They are like the little brother that always had a tough life and life is now good for them. So naturally, I am happy for them. But my heart bleeds purple and gold, ever since the late 1980's, when I started following the Lakers full time and listened to Chicky Baby on the radio.

Carter_17
06-04-2015, 04:52 PM
The Magic vs Bird rivalry saved the NBA and was the most culturally significant matchup the NBA has ever had because of the racial dynamics. They were leading the two most storied franchises in NBA with lineups full of hall of famers and all-stars staging a 7 game blood bath.

What was the appeal of Lebron vs Duncan again?!? Aside from the fact that LeBron was just a gun for hire on the Heat, what cultural significance or mass appeal did those Finals have.

Not to mention the horrendous ratings the 2013 Finals had, a 9.3?!? The Celtics and Lakers had a 12.3!!! You have to go back to the early 80's when the games were on friggin tape delay to find series that did worse than a 10.0!.

Lebron vs Duncan never had and never will have the appeal of Magic vs Larry

Man I wish I had some of your acid right now. As much as I hate LeBald he is a freak athlete. And you compare him and a guy with as flashy moves as Wade is to some chuby white guys with hardly any muscle on them. Yes Bird had High IQ but would be a role player in today's game. Laker's 80s team was cool though.

Lakers Legend#32
06-04-2015, 04:57 PM
1988 Lakers become the first team to repeat in 19 years.

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
"Larry Bird would be a role player in today's game" Wow

Says the fan of a modern NBA where Steph Curry (A glorified Dale Ellis) is the MVP. A player who would not even crack the top 10 MVP voting lists in the 80's is the best player now!

The top guards of today are too dumb and undisciplined (Russell Wesbrick ring a bell) to play the game of the 80's were coaches didn't just give arbitrary green lights (Aside from Michael who had the efficiency of a center) to shoot that ball 25 to 30 times.

Do you think Pat Riley, Chuck Daily, Billy Cunningham or KC joints are sitting any of their all star cerebral point guards or 2 guards for knuckle head, low IQ undisciplined chuckers like Westbrook or Harden or shoot first PG's like Derek Rose?!?

Pat Riley personally would've quit before EVER starting a player like Russell Westbrook. In the 80's you needed BRAINS as well as athleticism to succeed in direct contrast to today's LOW IQ video game TOUCH BASKETBALL NBA! or TBA I should say! LOL

Psileas
06-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I would have to disagree about us being able to beat Detroit in 1989 even if Magic and Scott were healthy. We were just an older team and it was Detroit's time. We were 62-20 in 1988 and 57-25 in 1989. On the flip side, Detroit was 54-28 in 1988 and 63-19 in 1989. They were a team on the rise while we were a team on the decline.

11-0 in the Western playoffs, including sweeping the 55 win Suns says otherwise. So does going 63-19 in the following season, although the team was slowly changing, with Kareem and Rambis gone - and next season, it would change even more, with Pat Riley leaving his position to a rookie coach (imo, then was when the decline started).
Anyway, a healthy Laker team would have no job being swept to anybody. I don't know whether they'd win that series, but even without Magic and Scott combined, they were very competitive in both Games 3+4. Heck, they were competitive in Game 2, even for a few minutes after losing Magic, before going out of gas in the 4th. With healthy MVP Magic alone, this series probably remains competitive till the end.

Carter_17
06-04-2015, 05:29 PM
"Larry Bird would be a role player in today's game" Wow

Says the fan of a modern NBA where Steph Curry (A glorified Dale Ellis) is the MVP. A player who would not even crack the top 10 MVP voting lists in the 80's is the best player now!

The top guards of today are too dumb and undisciplined (Russell Wesbrick ring a bell) to play the game of the 80's were coaches didn't just give arbitrary green lights (Aside from Michael who had the efficiency of a center) to shoot that ball 25 to 30 times.

Do you think Pat Riley, Chuck Daily, Billy Cunningham or KC joints are sitting any of their all star cerebral point guards or 2 guards for knuckle head, low IQ undisciplined chuckers like Westbrook or Harden or shoot first PG's like Derek Rose?!?

Pat Riley personally would've quit before EVER starting a player like Russell Westbrook. In the 80's you needed BRAINS as well as athleticism to succeed in direct contrast to today's LOW IQ video game TOUCH BASKETBALL NBA! or TBA I should say! LOL

Ye thats why he broke all the shooting records at his 27. Or is it because people are not allowed to elbow him whie he is shooting 3s?

BigNBAfan
06-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Man I wish I had some of your acid right now. As much as I hate LeBald he is a freak athlete. And you compare him and a guy with as flashy moves as Wade is to some chuby white guys with hardly any muscle on them. Yes Bird had High IQ but would be a role player in today's game. Laker's 80s team was cool though.

hi buddadi

Magic 32
06-04-2015, 05:32 PM
2013 was not that special. Almost all of the "stars" in that series were past their prime.

Only Lebron's unremarkableness made the series close.

Carter_17
06-04-2015, 05:38 PM
And really you are talking about dump guys with lack of skills. WTF ARE YOU SMOKING? Klay and Curry have personal trainers since they remember themselves and they are training their asses off. They hit shots from every spot in the freaking court with great efficiency . Not to mention curry's handle who would unguardable while dribbling 30 years ago. And he isn't even the best handler . Now imagine the 80s- guys trying to guard Irving, Harden, AI, Wall while dribbling . They wouldn't have any ankles left after couple of games. Or they wouldn't bother because they center would just camp the post waiting to elbow the guy who drives because he is tough and the refs would say "man up kiddie".

SHAQisGOAT
06-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Sure has a great case for it...

Two great teams, whole Bird vs Magic rivalry (meeting in a Finals for the 1st time since the NCAA), competitivity through the roof, players wanting to win bad as hell, non-stop intensity, tremendous physicality, series went to 7 games, plenty of clutch moments, lots of trash-talking...
You had Bird, Magic, Kareem, Worthy, McHale, Parish, DJ, McAdoo, Cooper, Cornbread, Rambis, Scott, Wilkes, Henderson... Like 9 HoF'ers, most at a great level.

Great video :applause:

Dudes like you sure confirm all the involution :lol Go somewhere else with your terrible posts, you have no clue about what you're rambling on :facepalm

Showtime80'
06-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Thank you Goat!

I love the whole "flavor of the month" GS Warriors vibe going on after only truly ONE great season!

That was the point of the argument though, in the 80's guys like Klay, Irving and Curry would NEVER have the freedom to yo-yo up and down for 15 seconds, they would have full body hand checking in their grill and if they somehow got to the paint a big dude would be waiting for them to flatten their ass! The NBA changed the rules so that wasn't possible anymore. Put a guy like Isiah on today's league with his handling and basketball IQ and would be twice as lethal as Curry or Irving which are basically creations of the new SOFTER rules.

To put it words were you kids understand, Magic, Larry, Michael and Isiah BEAT the NBA on Expert-Hard level, today's posers get to play it in Beginner-Easy mode! And still they can't even SNIFF the ratings those guys in the 80's had! The public has spoken on that. I can tell you that at least here in PR guys like Messi, and Ronaldo are bigger stars than LeBron or Curry. That sure as he'll wasn't the case in the 80's!

Thanks David Stern

Carter_17
06-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Thank you Goat!

I love the whole "flavor of the month" GS Warriors vibe going on after only truly ONE great season!

That was the point of the argument though, in the 80's guys like Klay, Irving and Curry would NEVER have the freedom to yo-yo up and down for 15 seconds, they would have full body hand checking in their grill and if they somehow got to the paint a big dude would be waiting for them to flatten their ass! The NBA changed the rules so that wasn't possible anymore. Put a guy like Isiah on today's league with his handling and basketball IQ and would be twice as lethal as Curry or Irving which are basically creations of the new SOFTER rules.

To put it words were you kids understand, Magic, Larry, Michael and Isiah BEAT the NBA on Expert-Hard level, today's posers get to play it in Beginner-Easy mode! And still they can't even SNIFF the ratings those guys in the 80's had! The public has spoken on that. I can tell you that at least here in PR guys like Messi, and Ronaldo are bigger stars than LeBron or Curry. That sure as he'll wasn't the case in the 80's!

Thanks David Stern

Because it's harder put a big to camp the post and your perimeter defenders to hand check than to actually play 1vs1 defense, have rotation on help defense and court awareness. Get real. Defense before those new rules was easy as shit. Now you actually need good footwork for perimeter defense and bball IQ as a post defender.

Da_Realist
06-04-2015, 06:35 PM

:applause:

Thank you Goat!

To put it words were you kids understand, Magic, Larry, Michael and Isiah BEAT the NBA on Expert-Hard level, today's posers get to play it in Beginner-Easy mode! And still they can't even SNIFF the ratings those guys in the 80's had!

That's exactly why the NBA doesn't drive the bus anymore. Scoring has gone up, IQ has gone down and the seasoned eye can tell the difference. There are a few exceptions but your example of Westbrook and Harden was dead on.

I went to a sports bar during a Cavs Bulls game a couple of weeks ago. 19 TV's. 15 were showing baseball and 4 were showing the NFL channel. Lebron was playing and no one was watching at all.

Imtheman
06-04-2015, 08:09 PM
2010 was amazing

JohnFreeman
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
2010 was horrible

Mr Feeny
06-04-2015, 08:34 PM
2006-Greatest Finals performance by a single player I've ever see

Agreed on Wade's performance. He was incredible the last four games. Historically great, to drag Miami from a 2-0 defect and what should have been the third and decisive loss in game 3.

As a series, I personally disagree here. The 2010 series was not a patch on the Spurs Heat 7 game series in 2013. Unless you were only referring to series you attended in person?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2015, 08:41 PM
2013 Finals were great, but nowhere near the greatest finals. I'd argue 2010 was more riveting.

Dunno, watching LeBron choke in epic fashion only to see Ray Allen hit a 3 was meh.

Greatest finals performance: Not really sure, but I would say Mike's 1993 and Shaq's 2000 finals are up there statistically.

Legends66NBA7
06-04-2015, 08:52 PM
No love for the 1994 Finals as the best ?

Every game was decided by 3 possessions or less (no double digit wins). Unreal defense.

Round Mound
06-04-2015, 08:54 PM

I like to hear some thoughts on the series from the people that actually say it.

:applause: THE GOAT FINALS SERIES :bowdown:

dreamwarrior
06-04-2015, 10:59 PM
2010 was the greatest ever. It was especially satisfying after getting destroyed by Boston 2 years earlier.

Champ
06-04-2015, 11:04 PM

A modern day point guard, sent back to the 80s, would be benched half-way through the first quarter because of multiple traveling and palming violations.