PDA

View Full Version : what 80s/90s player would have benefitted most from the current style of play

kunk75
06-04-2015, 10:04 PM
was just having a Facebook discussion about this. who do you think would have had a much better career now due to the space and pace style?

L.Kizzle
06-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Kevin Johnson would have been aa good as Glove20 used to make him out to be.

DonDadda59
06-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Kobe

Cali Syndicate
06-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Abdul rauf

SCdac
06-04-2015, 10:35 PM
David Robinson would beast. As far as swingmen, players who could utilize the triple threat position would probably do well. Charles Barkley I think would fair better, in his best three point shooting season he shot .34% from beyond the arch.

ISHGoat
06-04-2015, 10:36 PM
3balls alt spotted

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Mark Price and Kevin Johnson would be MVP level players

dreamwarrior
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Kevin Johnson would be the best player in the game

kunk75
06-04-2015, 11:01 PM
price came to mind. i guess even guys like kerr and legler could average 10-12 a game. dell curry would probably average 17 (i know he did for a season IIRC).

Mark Price and Kevin Johnson would be MVP level players

SHAQisGOAT
06-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Price, Dale Ellis, Bird, Tom Chambers, KJ, Byron Scott, Terry Cummings...

Round Mound
06-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Barkley. Unlike Lebron, Charles needed double and tirple teaming basically everywhere inside the 3-point line.

sd3035
06-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Jordan would benefit from any style, he was just that good

Jordan had the refs in his pocket too, but if he got Lebron treatment, he would average at least 40 ppg

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Price, Dale Ellis, Bird, Tom Chambers, KJ, Byron Scott, Terry Cummings...
Bird is a great mention. Hed be a PF and hed be way more dominant in this era plus hes the most skilled and prolly the smartest player ever among ATGs. He would be like Dirk with worse scoring/shooting, but better D and GOAT playmaking/passing specially with the 3pt emphasis

NBAplayoffs2001
06-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Fat Lever. Better than Westbrook

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 02:33 AM
A guy like David Robinson is still going to get bitched in the post by a physical defender like Green or bogut in the playoffs. Robinson had nothing in terms of scoring except for random dunks(Dwight Howard), face-up moves and foul drawing. No back-to-basket like Hakeem or Shaq. He'd get knocked the **** down in the postseason like he did in the 90's era. And I like Robinson btw. Kevin Johnson is so overrated it hurts. Not even in era comparisons, but in general. Barkley would get his great production. I don't see how he would benefit. People say this is a soft foul era but Barkley's free throw rate was astronomical. Like, more than Harden or Griffin's by far. What would happen, he'd get as many free throws as shots in this era? More? Ridiculous.

I don't see what the hell would benefit Price, he wouldn't magically learn to defend a chair.

Overall. They'd all be as effective. Not more or less. Anything else is 3ball bullshit.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-06-2015, 02:35 AM
A guy like David Robinson is still going to get bitched in the post by a physical defender like Green or bogut in the playoffs. Robinson had nothing in terms of scoring except for random dunks(Dwight Howard), face-up moves and foul drawing. No back-to-basket like Hakeem or Shaq. He'd get knocked the **** down in the postseason like he did in the 90's era. And I like Robinson btw. Kevin Johnson is so overrated it hurts. Not even in era comparisons, but in general. Barkley would get his great production. I don't see how he would benefit. People say this is a soft foul era but Barkley's free throw rate was astronomical. Like, more than Harden or Griffin's by far. What would happen, he'd get as many free throws add shots? More? Ridiculous.

I don't see what the hell would benefit Price, he wouldn't magically learn to defend a chair.

Overall. They'd all be as effective. Not more or less. Anything else is 3ball bullshit.
U never watched the 90s guys so it makes sense. Prices defense can get masked in a system just like Currys is in the best defensive system in the league with the best defensive talent. Hes more skilled than Steph in the halfcourt too, much better pickandroll, much better slasher and better playmaker. He was a great shooter too not on Stephs level but hed be way better now

warriorfan
06-06-2015, 02:36 AM
A guy like David Robinson is still going to get bitched in the post by a physical defender like Green or bogut in the playoffs. Robinson had nothing in terms of scoring except for random dunks(Dwight Howard), face-up moves and foul drawing. No back-to-basket like Hakeem or Shaq. He'd get knocked the **** down in the postseason like he did in the 90's era. And I like Robinson btw. Kevin Johnson is so overrated it hurts. Not even in era comparisons, but in general. Barkley would get his great production. I don't see how he would benefit. People say this is a soft foul era but Barkley's free throw rate was astronomical. Like, more than Harden or Griffin's by far. What would happen, he'd get as many free throws add shots? More? Ridiculous.

Robinson was never a reliable first option scorer but he brought GOAT defense and no matter what people say he wasn't a slouch at the offensive end. Knocking on Robinson because he wasn't able to provide GOAT defense and first option scoring is kinda ridiculous. If David Robinson had a situation today where he could be a second option offensively and a defensive anchor he would probably be the best player in the league.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-06-2015, 02:43 AM
If Dwight is able to score 20ppg on 59% in the playoffs Robinson will have no problems. He was a much better scorer.
lol @ thinking Draymond could guard him. I rate Draymond hes the most versatile defender since KG. Hes too small/weak to defend one of the 5 gaudiest physical specimens to ever play basketball. Anthony Davis offensive game is very similar to DRob with the faceup, offball moving, pickandroll, length, putbacks/alleys etc doesnt postup and Draymond got murked by him. GS #1 defense did actually. Robinson was much stronger and much more athletic than Davis too

Robinson would dominate in this era

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 02:46 AM
U never watched the 90s guys so it makes sense. Prices defense can get masked in a system just like Currys is in the best defensive system in the league with the best defensive talent. Hes more skilled than Steph in the halfcourt too, much better pickandroll, much better slasher and better playmaker. He was a great shooter too not on Stephs level but hed be way better now
Ok, I see your reasoning but Daugherty was a pretty good PnR big himself. It's not like he didn't utilize it as much as CP3 or something.

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Robinson was never a reliable first option scorer but he brought GOAT defense and no matter what people say he wasn't a slouch at the offensive end. Knocking on Robinson because he wasn't able to provide GOAT defense and first option scoring is kinda ridiculous. If David Robinson had a situation today where he could be a second option offensively and a defensive anchor he would probably be the best player in the league.
I agree really. I like Robinson but he regressed so many postseasons. Just so many, it's ridiculous if you really look at it ok bbr.

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 02:53 AM
If Dwight is able to score 20ppg on 59% in the playoffs Robinson will have no problems. He was a much better scorer.
lol @ thinking Draymond could guard him. I rate Draymond hes the most versatile defender since KG. Hes too small/weak to defend one of the 5 gaudiest physical specimens to ever play basketball. Anthony Davis offensive game is very similar to DRob with the faceup, offball moving, pickandroll, length, putbacks/alleys etc doesnt postup and Draymond got murked by him. GS #1 defense did actually. Robinson was much stronger and much more athletic than Davis too

Robinson would dominate in this era
Robinson was uber-athletic but he was not gonna overpower people. Green would eat his lunch IMO. If not Green(because he is short), then a guy like Splitter when healthy or Omer Asik. He relied on finesse play too much.

BTW - Dwight's 20 ppg is a lot different than a guy like Robinson's. It's not comparable.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Robinson was uber-athletic but he was not gonna overpower people. Green would eat his lunch IMO. If not Green(because he is short), then a guy like Splitter when healthy or Omer Asik. He relied on finesse play too much.

BTW - Dwight's 20 ppg is a lot different than a guy like Robinson's. It's not comparable.
Bogut is the best post defender in the league hed do the best job but hed still struggle like he did against Anthony Davis.

true dwight scores differently, but like i mentioned Anthony Davis has a VERY similar scoring skillset, very finesse player and he avged 31 on 54% shooting against by far the best frontcourt defense in NBA

scandisk_
06-06-2015, 02:58 AM
Grant Hillz and Penniez duh! Seriously though, swingmen that could handle the ball well.

warriorfan
06-06-2015, 03:03 AM
I agree really. I like Robinson but he regressed so many postseasons. Just so many, it's ridiculous if you really look at it ok bbr.

His career playoff numbers is 19pts/11rb/2ast/1stl/3blk on 550 TS% while bringing GOAT level defense... And that is including a huge number of games Robinson played as an old man post injuries. In his prime he was throwing up 24/11/ on 550 TS% while giving GOAT level defense in the playoffs.

Prime David Robinson would be the best player in the league right now. Just because he doesn't give you 30 ppg in the post season doesn't mean he is a bad player. He is still giving you great production offensively while also giving you the best defense in the league. A true two way player. Partner him with an elite wing and you will have a ring.

IGOTGAME
06-06-2015, 06:18 AM
A guy like David Robinson is still going to get bitched in the post by a physical defender like Green or bogut in the playoffs. Robinson had nothing in terms of scoring except for random dunks(Dwight Howard), face-up moves and foul drawing. No back-to-basket like Hakeem or Shaq. He'd get knocked the **** down in the postseason like he did in the 90's era. And I like Robinson btw. Kevin Johnson is so overrated it hurts. Not even in era comparisons, but in general. Barkley would get his great production. I don't see how he would benefit. People say this is a soft foul era but Barkley's free throw rate was astronomical. Like, more than Harden or Griffin's by far. What would happen, he'd get as many free throws as shots in this era? More? Ridiculous.

This is where we're at...the admiral would get bitched in the post by Drayman Green. Cartoon world

Mechanixxxx
06-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Reggie Miller, just imagine what he could do with the amount of 3pt shots players gun for now.

kunk75
06-06-2015, 09:16 AM
i think reggie was wildly overrated in his era but i agree he'd put up big numbers today

3ball
06-06-2015, 09:24 AM
i think reggie was wildly overrated in his era but i agree he'd put up big numbers today
Reggie put up big numbers in his own era, better numbers than Ray Allen, and way higher numbers in the playoffs.

Teams take way more 3's today, so Miller would benefit from more sheer opportunities.. Most of these additional opportunities would be drive-and-kicks where he just has to stand there and wait, while the penetrator does all the work.

This is contrast from previous eras when he had to run off a lot more screens to get most of his 3-pointers.. So yeah, any good 3-point shooter would be better today because they'd get so many more opportunities via drive-and-kick.

miles berg
06-06-2015, 09:28 AM
I couldn't imagine how good Barkley would be with today's rules against the soft ass generation we are watching.

3ball
06-06-2015, 09:34 AM
In his prime he was throwing up 24/11/ on 550 TS% while giving GOAT level defense in the playoffs.

David Robinson's averages from 1990-1996 (7 seasons):

25.6 PPG, 11.8 RPG, 3.1 APG, 1.7 STL, 3.6 BLK, 52.6% FG, 59.2% TS, 27.8 PER, 0.260 WS/48

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robinda01.html#1990-1996-sum:per_game

Prime David Robinson would be the best player in the league right now. Just because he doesn't give you 30 ppg in the post season doesn't mean he is a bad player

There's only 1 player in history that averaged 30 PPG in the postseason.

3ball
06-06-2015, 10:00 AM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/P5Zone.gif

The best isolation players would benefit tremendously because today's game has weakside spacing that reduces the number of strongside defenders, resulting in 1-defender strongsides for completely isolated 1-on-1 play (above).

Naturally, the best isolation players would benefit immensely..

In today's game, Lebron isolates the most often of any player, despite ranking only 78th out of 350 in isolation PPP (regular season), while his FG% ranked 117th out of 350.. In the playoffs, Lebron is 35th out of 40 in isolation PPP, and 30th out of 40 in FG%.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?dir=1&sort=Time&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Playoffs

If Lebron can isolate the most often and find team success despite such low isolation efficiency, than what kind of impact would far superior isolation players like Bird (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366456) and MJ (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11188520&postcount=37) have against 1-defender strongsides (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378398)?

jayfan
06-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Kevin McHale says Robert Parrish would.

HurricaneKid
06-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Robinson couldn't do anything but dunk? This might be the worst post I have ever seen here. He needed 67 points the last day of the season to win the scoring title and scored 71. But all he could do was dunk ::smh::

HurricaneKid
06-06-2015, 10:35 AM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/P5Zone.gif

The best isolation players would benefit tremendously because today's game has weakside spacing that reduces the number of strongside defenders, resulting in 1-defender strongsides for completely isolated 1-on-1 play (above).

Naturally, the best isolation players would benefit immensely..

In today's game, Lebron isolates the most often of any player, despite ranking only 78th out of 350 in isolation PPP (regular season), while his FG% ranked 117th out of 350.. In the playoffs, Lebron is 35th out of 40 in isolation PPP, and 30th out of 40 in FG%.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?dir=1&sort=Time&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Playoffs

If Lebron can isolate the most often and find team success despite such low isolation efficiency, than what kind of impact would far superior isolation players like Bird and MJ have against 1-defender strongsides (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378398)?

Literally the exact opposite of this. The ISO players from the 80s would be awful now. Back then ISO plays were the most efficiant plays in BBall. Now the best ISO players in the league avg fewer ppp than the league avg. In 87 39 players avg 20ppg. in 2012 that number dropped to 11.

Melo would have been great back then. And undersized bigs like Robinson would be dominant.

Blue&Orange
06-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Everyone?

Seriously Jeff Teague was an All-star.

3ball
06-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Back then ISO plays were the most efficiant plays in BBall.

You're not understanding how the game works..

In previous eras, isolations were the same inefficient option they are today, however, a much higher proportion of the time, they were the ONLY option because there was no spacing to make ball movement the viable alternative it is today.. Whereas today, ball movement has become a more viable option, due to the spacing (dribble-penetration and screen-roll is also a more viable option, due to the hand-check ban and again, the spacing)

Also, teams in previous eras didn't slow it down and run offense to get 22 good 3-point looks per game like today's teams.. Previous eras played faster by settling for contested 2-pointers every possession, resulting in more points scored.. However, the slowest-playing teams of that era - i.e. the Bulls and Pistons - played at the same pace played today, in the low 90's.

Btw, the concept of previous eras playing faster/scoring more by settling for more contested shots, is the same reason Lebron is scoring more in these Finals - he's settling for more contested shots so his volume and scoring is higher.

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 11:11 AM
This is where we're at...the admiral would get bitched in the post by Drayman Green. Cartoon world
I have other names. Eventually people will have to accept what David Robinson did almost every postseason until Duncan came along.

Rocketswin2013
06-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Robinson couldn't do anything but dunk? This might be the worst post I have ever seen here. He needed 67 points the last day of the season to win the scoring title and scored 71. But all he could do was dunk ::smh::
That, face-up moves(quick first step), foul drawing, and that turnaround jumper.

97 bulls
06-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Scottie Pippen would've. Just imagine Pippens defense in todays league. He doesn't have to worry about getting hit with an illegal defense call for guarding an area. Factor that in with the way the league caters to perimeter players now.

Hed be avg 24/9/7 and be the best defender in the league by far.

3ball
06-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Just imagine Pippens defense in todays league. He doesn't have to worry about getting hit with an illegal defense call for guarding an area.

Nah, he wouldn't be able to hand-check or play nearly as physical so he'd get consistently blown by just like EVERY perimeter defender does today..

The ban on hand-checking and physicality, along with the wider lanes created by spacing, have made penetration a built-in component of the game - the NBA themselves officially stated (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/04/09/stujackson/index.html) that the rule changes were meant to increase penetration, and had succeeded in doing so.

Also, in today's game, there are fewer defenders on the strongside due to weakside floor-spreaders that draw them away (spacing).. Fewer strongside defenders means that help is further away (on the weakside) if Pippen gets beat.. Strongside with only 1-2 defenders are standard today - Pippen would frequently face clear-out isolations where he's the only defender on the strongside (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378398).

Whereas in his era, his defense was aided because there were more strongside defenders - there were no weakside spacing drawing defenders away, so defenders remained on the strongside.. 4-5 defenders on the strongside was the standard, and so help defense was much closer to help if necessary.

Prime_Shaq
06-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Larry Bird.
Reggie Miller.
Dell Curry (lol).

tamaraw08
06-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Fat Lever. Better than Westbrook

fast and shifty players like Allen Iverson, Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson would have really thrived and easily score 30pts/game.
I think of Sprewell, Penny, Mario Ellie can really penetrate better now.