PDA

View Full Version : Are "bounce back" games actually a thing?

Inferno
06-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Probably a tough question to validate but do stars actually tend to go off after previously having a shitty game? :coleman:

J Shuttlesworth
06-09-2015, 02:49 AM
Yes. I actually expect curry to have like 30+ tomorrow tbh :coleman:

I would think you would know this. Didn't Curry do something like that after going down 2-1 to Memphis?

Inferno
06-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Yes. I actually expect curry to have like 30+ tomorrow tbh :coleman:

I would think you would know this. Didn't Curry do something like that after going down 2-1 to Memphis?

Lol ye I expect him to go off but I was wondering if it's actually like backed up by stats or something that players tend to have above-average games after having a shitty game, which is probably hard to tell lol

J Shuttlesworth
06-09-2015, 02:54 AM
Lol ye I expect him to go off but I was wondering if it's actually like backed up by stats or something that players tend to have above-average games after having a shitty game, which is probably hard to tell lol
The greats seem to have great games after the media crucifies them.

Remember Durant - Mr. Unreliable headline? Or LeBron in Boston game 6?

The only issue for you is that Curry got a pass from the media. I think he would be more fired up if they went in on him.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-09-2015, 03:33 AM
Well, fwiw, there have been 32 games since Curry's entered the league in which he's played 20 minutes or more, shot 30 percent or less, on at least 10 fga. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2010&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=GSW&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&round_id=&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=lt&c1val=30&c2stat=mp&c2comp=gt&c2val=20&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts&order_by_asc=Y) (my arbitrary numbers; just what I would think most consider a poor offensive performance)

is "bounce back" game average: 22.1 ppg/7.7 apg on 47% shooting.

Should note that's his entire career, and Curry wasn't exactly a star from his rookie year. Some games were blowouts the following game so his minutes might be in the 20s, or whatever. Also I saw quite a few decent stats in other areas (at least 2 triple doubles and a few 6+ steal games) and it's actually 31 games because one of next next games was a dnp.

Completely useless stat, but whatever. Only wasted 8 minutes.

http://i59.tinypic.com/s33p5z.png

RoundMoundOfReb
06-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Well, fwiw, there have been 32 games since Curry's entered the league in which he's played 20 minutes or more, shot 30 percent or less, on at least 10 fga. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=2010&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=GSW&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&round_id=&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=lt&c1val=30&c2stat=mp&c2comp=gt&c2val=20&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts&order_by_asc=Y) (my arbitrary numbers; just what I would think most consider a poor offensive performance)

Should note that's his entire career, and Curry wasn't exactly a star from his rookie year. Some games were blowouts the following game so his minutes might be in the 20s, or whatever. Also I saw quite a few decent stats in other areas (at least 2 triple doubles and a few 6+ steal games) and it's actually 31 games because one of next next games was a dnp.

So about his career #s? Who would've thought?

ArbitraryWater
06-09-2015, 03:57 AM
The greats seem to have great games after the media crucifies them.

Remember Durant - Mr. Unreliable headline? Or LeBron in Boston game 6?

The only issue for you is that Curry got a pass from the media. I think he would be more fired up if they went in on him.

Players react differently to criticism.. you cant just scrutify and bam the guy plays better.. its more pressure.

Alamо
06-09-2015, 04:11 AM
That time Curry had a bad game where he shot those airballs and they lost, putting memphis ahead 2-1

http://giant.gfycat.com/WiltedCrazyBlueshark.gif

PP34Deuce
06-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Maybe.. maybe not.

But it seems to me that Curry doesn't respect Dellavedover from the look of things. I expect Curry's overconfidence will get the best of him once more.. dude doesn't realize what he's in for.. this ain't (although steadily improving) Kyrie checking him.. Delly is no push-over here.

I feel like the Reggie Millers, Ray Allens of the world require more disciplined defense than anything. Can't lose focus and Delly is great maintaining focus and not getting discouraged if they score.

I expect GSW to set up double screens for Curry to get him going early. I also expect Kerr to start Iggy by game 4.

chips93
06-09-2015, 10:11 AM

http://i59.tinypic.com/s33p5z.png

so he scores slightly more than his career averages

very interesting

nice post

chips93
06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I feel like the Reggie Millers, Ray Allens of the world require more disciplined defense than anything. Can't lose focus and Delly is great maintaining focus and not getting discouraged if they score.

I expect GSW to set up double screens for Curry to get him going early. I also expect Kerr to start Iggy by game 4.

probably get him some off-ball screens too

the cavs cant afford to get complacent, curry can get hot in an instant

i was still terrified of him at the end of game 2, when we were up 2, that he would hit a 3, and essentially end the series.