PDA

View Full Version : Kristaps Porzingis workout video

Knicksfever2010
06-14-2015, 09:19 AM
REALLY hoping he's there at #4, probably not but WOW. Dude has a quick release and nice shooting form. Not crazy about his lack of hops for a 7'1 player, but maybe thats something he cna grow into. He doesnt jump very high, but that shooting form and quick release for a 19 year old is amazeballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjzdm1pSqjk

CJ Mustard
06-14-2015, 09:32 AM
How's his defense? Nobody ever questioned his offense. But if teams are gonna play this guy at the 5, he has to protect the rim for them. If he can't do that effectively, give me Russell or Mudiay. Bigs who don't defend aren't building blocks.

Knicksfever2010
06-14-2015, 09:39 AM
How's his defense? Nobody ever questioned his offense. But if teams are gonna play this guy at the 5, he has to protect the rim for them. If he can't do that effectively, give me Russell or Mudiay. Bigs who don't defend aren't building blocks.

Dirk wasnt a good defender

CJ Mustard
06-14-2015, 09:44 AM
So this guy's a power forward? Alright then, good luck finding a Tyson Chandler to put next to him to erase his defensive deficiencies.

Haymaker
06-14-2015, 09:50 AM
He got a Dirk-like shooting form. He could be developed into something good long term. Not sure about his immediate impact. He's athletic as f uck. Probably should bulk up and gain strength to cope with NBA sized forwards, but his defense is not there. He's a decent shot blocker though.

R.I.P.
06-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Dirk actually was (at worst) an average defender. Most advances stats suggest the team defense was always better with him on floor. He was also very athletic, when he was younger.

HylianNightmare
06-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't believe the hype

AboutBuckets
06-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Might be nitpicking but I don't think I saw a single left-handed finish. He even went up off his right foot on one of his PnR finishes and still twisted his body to be able to finish with his right hand

Carbine
06-14-2015, 10:25 AM
It's easy to see why people would be drooling over him based on workouts.

He looks like a legit 7 footer with long limbs. He has an obvious shooting stroke. Moves very well for a man his height. He's thin but he's 19 years old, Dirk was also really thin at a similar age and at his peak he had the best post offense in the NBA.

With the stretch four and five so in vogue now, he becomes even more desirable as a prospect.

VengefulAngel
06-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Might be nitpicking but I don't think I saw a single left-handed finish. He even went up off his right foot on one of his PnR finishes and still twisted his body to be able to finish with his right hand

Came here to post this.

ClipperRevival
06-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Wow, this guy has rare talent. Very fluid, coordinated and pretty athletic. He's also got touch. It wil be interesting to see where he ends up.

vert48
06-14-2015, 01:39 PM
There were two:
:09
2:53

gyu
06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
he would get mentored from the perfect knicks player for his growth... bargnani :bowdown:

KelticForce1349
06-14-2015, 01:46 PM

He looks like a legit 7 footer with long limbs. He has an obvious shooting stroke. Moves very well for a man his height. He's thin but he's 19 years old, Dirk was also really thin at a similar age and at his peak he had the best post offense in the NBA.

With the stretch four and five so in vogue now, he becomes even more desirable as a prospect.

No kidding. He looks sooooo long and lanky I was wondering if that rim was set to 8 feet high.

Haymaker
06-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Honestly, the Sixers should take him were both Okafor and Towns not available. He's a safety blanket in case that Embiid turns out to be a Oden 2.0 and he could play with Noel better since he's not a back to the basket player. He could spread the floor.

el gringos
06-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Honestly, the Sixers should take him were both Okafor and Towns not available. He's a safety blanket in case that Embiid turns out to be a Oden 2.0 and he could play with Noel better since he's not a back to the basket player. He could spread the floor.
And it wouldn't disrupt their tanking as much as Russell. Crazy that we will see 2 more years of tanking- this year esp without getting real guards will not hurt the future, but the following years tank could be damaging. Sure they'll blame in on 7 or 8 first or second year players but eventually they may train these guys into being losers by giving them no chance to succeed

CavaliersFTW
06-14-2015, 03:14 PM
So this guy's a power forward? Alright then, good luck finding a Tyson Chandler to put next to him to erase his defensive deficiencies.
A Dirk lead team will NEVER ...how did the rest go again?

f0und
06-14-2015, 03:35 PM
saw his workout video looked up his highlights and it made me go "hmm, not bad. not bad at all."

then for comparison, i looked at darko and barg's euroleague highlights and then thought, "well theirs is just as good, might even be better."

conclusion: i bet on him being the next euro-bust

blacknapalm
06-14-2015, 04:14 PM

bingo. he oozes potential. i just wish he was a better defensive rebounder/defensive player in general. not in favor of taking a big in the top 3 if they aren't those

bdreason
06-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Could be the next Dirk... could be the next Bargnani.

You willing to spend a top 5 pick to find out?

Meticode
06-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Sixers could do that easily with Noel, but they'll want to draft a point guard probably. With Embiid's injury who knows what the Sixers are thinking right now.

Rake2204
06-14-2015, 05:00 PM
This will undoubtedly come off as critical but, an edited mix of a player's one-on-zero workout is bound to look glorious. As someone on the outside looking in, I still have a lot of questions about Porzingis as an actual player. I've heard he was lanky and had good shooting form, but I've also heard he gets lost on the court, is often a step behind, and isn't a great interior defender.

That said, I have a question about top-10 prospects that I should probably know but don't: do they typically only do solo workouts? Like, I read Porzingis won't travel to any teams for workouts, the NBA teams must come to him in Las Vegas. Is that standard?

Also, out of curiosity, what's the highest level of competition he's played against and dominated thus far?

DaHeezy
06-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Hate to knitpick but he moves like every tall white kid I've ever played with that moved on to college. Assuming that workout was at 70% then he may be a decent. I hat the comparison to Bargnani since I never believed he was a world class sniper. The release is smooth but I wouldn't say quick. He's definately interesting

Fallen Angel
06-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Could be the next Dirk... could be the next Bargnani.

You willing to spend a top 5 pick to find out?
He's WAY too mobile to be Bargnani, also KP has the defensive potential to be a shot blocker in the NBA

outbreak
06-14-2015, 05:50 PM
This will undoubtedly come off as critical but, an edited mix of a player's one-on-zero workout is bound to look glorious. As someone on the outside looking in, I still have a lot of questions about Porzingis as an actual player. I've heard he was lanky and had good shooting form, but I've also heard he gets lost on the court, is often a step behind, and isn't a great interior defender.

That said, I have a question about top-10 prospects that I should probably know but don't: do they typically only do solo workouts? Like, I read Porzingis won't travel to any teams for workouts, the NBA teams must come to him in Las Vegas. Is that standard?

Also, out of curiosity, what's the highest level of competition he's played against and dominated thus far?

His weak interior D should be more strength related. He moves really well in the paint for a big man and should turn in to a good help defender. The big issue is that when someone tries to body him right now he just gets pushed aside too easily (same with rebounding).

each prospect is different in what they do, usually the agents will set things up depending on their weaknesses i.e a guy who everyone knows can play but has questions on shooting will just do solo work outs taking jumpers, a guy who's played as a scorer in college but is too short to play that role in the NBA will do team work outs trying to show off passing and handles etc. Generally though your top 4-5 picks don't have glaring weaknesses so they will just do the bare minimum required as they already have teams telling them they want them.

I don't think he played at the highest level in europe but a lot of his skill set should translate anyway, most of his upside is shooting/speed/handling type stuff which shouldn't matter too much what competition he is against. In terms of his weaknesses too he was playing against developed grown professionals so getting bodied around at 18-19 by these guys isn't that surprising.

kshutts1
06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
That shooting display from the right corner, where he made maybe 8-10 in a row, was so impressive. Doesn't even jump, or have a defender anywhere near him. /sarcasm.

Individual shooting workouts will NEVER show anything worthwhile. Any prospect that refuses to practice with someone is not a player that would interest me.

Rake2204
06-14-2015, 06:04 PM
His weak interior D should be more strength related. He moves really well in the paint for a big man and should turn in to a good help defender. The big issue is that when someone tries to body him right now he just gets pushed aside too easily (same with rebounding).

each prospect is different in what they do, usually the agents will set things up depending on their weaknesses i.e a guy who everyone knows can play but has questions on shooting will just do solo work outs taking jumpers, a guy who's played as a scorer in college but is too short to play that role in the NBA will do team work outs trying to show off passing and handles etc. Generally though your top 4-5 picks don't have glaring weaknesses so they will just do the bare minimum required as they already have teams telling them they want them.

I don't think he played at the highest level in europe but a lot of his skill set should translate anyway, most of his upside is shooting/speed/handling type stuff which shouldn't matter too much what competition he is against. In terms of his weaknesses too he was playing against developed grown professionals so getting bodied around at 18-19 by these guys isn't that surprising.Thanks, man.

outbreak
06-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Being reported that the lakers are actually considering him for the 2nd pick now. I'm high on Porzingis but I don't know if i'd take him over Okafor.

bladefd
06-14-2015, 06:31 PM
His play-style and shooting form reminds me of Mehmet Okur from the Jazz days. This guy is much quicker though both off the dribble and without the ball.

Mr. I'm So Rad
06-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Rich man's Bargnani

NBAplayoffs2001
06-14-2015, 07:57 PM

It's bad

hateraid
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
It's too bad that by default he's being compared to a white guy, because I was thinking Kevin Durant comparisons. But ,maybe throw ina little Detlef Schrempf :lol
Durant/Schrempf hybrid type.

imdaman99
06-16-2015, 01:15 PM
DO NOT WANT. I don't trust Euro big men, 9 out of 10 are scrubs with hype to be the next Dirk or Pau. Plz Knicks stay away.

ralph_i_el
11-19-2015, 02:23 PM
DO NOT WANT. I don't trust Euro big men, 9 out of 10 are scrubs with hype to be the next Dirk or Pau. Plz Knicks stay away.
:applause: :roll:

NBAplayoffs2001
11-19-2015, 02:27 PM

Thank god for that 1 out of 10 chance. We struck gold :banana:

bluechox2
11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
:lol

bluechox2
11-19-2015, 02:33 PM
kristaps looks a little beefier now

Levity
11-19-2015, 02:37 PM
his attitude and aspiration to get better is another part of his game that stands out for me. the kid has a great head on his shoulders and seems dedicated to basketball and has an endless desire to keep improving.

he even shrugged off his 29/11 game, saying he could/should have played better