PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry can deadlift 400 pounds

Inferno
06-14-2015, 04:38 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25207008/stephen-curry-can-deadlift-400-pounds

The exercise the Warriors prefer is the trapbar dead lift, which is basically a safer way to mimic lifting a giant boulder off the ground. One of the primary muscles that it works? Yup, the gluteus maximus.

"Steph's the second strongest on our team pulling that one," Lyles says with a straight face. "For his size, Steph is ridiculous strong."

Only center Festus Ezeli, who stands about seven feet and 270 pounds, can top Curry on that particular lift. That may be hard to believe, but that core power is the secret that unlocks Curry's magic.

"We knew he was strong," Lyles says, "but when he started pushing that kind of weight, I was like 'This guy is just a freak.'"

:banana:

kind of hard to believe though :lol

highwhey
06-14-2015, 04:40 PM
But can he deadlift deez nutz?

warriorfan
06-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Alpha Male Curry

buddha
06-14-2015, 04:56 PM
*trap bar*

he can probably only deadlift 370 or so

dgaras
06-14-2015, 05:18 PM
useless

J Shuttlesworth
06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Deadliftadova

kshutts1
06-14-2015, 05:23 PM
I lift daily, but I've never done a dead lift, nor did I know what a "trap bar" was until that youtube video.

Can someone that knows please enlighten the masses on which is harder -- squats or dead lift? Does a trap bar make a dead lift easier?

warriorfan
06-14-2015, 05:23 PM
He also deadlifted 3 of his 10 ppg starters to a top ranked offense

GOAT impact

Fallen Angel
06-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Deadlifting is not impressive. He's doing exactly what the name says, lifting dead weight. You don't need a whole lot of strength to lift 400 lbs.

gyu
06-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I lift daily, but I've never done a dead lift, nor did I know what a "trap bar" was until that youtube video.

Can someone that knows please enlighten the masses on which is harder -- squats or dead lift? Does a trap bar make a dead lift easier?
Trap bar makes it a bit easier. Both are hard and it really depends on the person, I find squats are harder but deadlifts are more taxing in terms of full body.

kshutts1
06-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Trap bar makes it a bit easier. Both are hard and it really depends on the person, I find squats are harder but deadlifts are more taxing in terms of full body.
Thanks.

I'm not impressed, at all, with the weight, but I am impressed that he's as quick and fast as he is considering the weight he can do. And I'm shocked at how weak the rest of the team, apparently, is if Curry is second on the team.

Kobe_6/8
06-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Thanks.

I'm not impressed, at all, with the weight, but I am impressed that he's as quick and fast as he is considering the weight he can do. And I'm shocked at how weak the rest of the team, apparently, is if Curry is second on the team.

This. Long arms = strong deadlift. Most NBA players have long arms...if this guy is 2nd strongest on the team, that's just sad. What does ISH think LeBron trap-bar deadlifts?

http://sfbay.ca/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/130521_StephCurry0306_bay107.jpg

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/otros-deportes/LeBron-James-Stephen-Curry-AP_LNCIMA20150603_0152_5.jpg

SpaceJammeR
06-14-2015, 05:45 PM

deadlift, squats, along with bench are the most important lifts in weightlifting. to me squats are harder than dead but it depends on the person.

LAZERUSS
06-14-2015, 05:46 PM
This. Long arms = strong deadlift. Most NBA players have long arms...if this guy is 2nd strongest on the team, that's just sad.

http://sfbay.ca/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/130521_StephCurry0306_bay107.jpg

Is the guy in the blue jacket the Warriors strongest player?

L8krH8tr
06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I wanna see him do an olympic bar deadlift...

kshutts1
06-14-2015, 05:52 PM
deadlift, squats, along with bench are the most important lifts in weightlifting. to me squats are harder than dead but it depends on the person.
And I do none of them, lol. I wish I had the setup in my living room for any of them. Oh well.

kshutts1
06-14-2015, 05:53 PM
This. Long arms = strong deadlift. Most NBA players have long arms...if this guy is 2nd strongest on the team, that's just sad. What does ISH think LeBron trap-bar deadlifts?

We all know he'd cramp up.

DonDadda59
06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Wilt Chamberlain once dead-lifted an entire city :whatever:

AirFederer
06-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Wilt Chamberlain once dead-lifted an entire city :whatever:
Deadlifting is the only lifting Wilt does these days :confusedshrug:

gyu
06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm actually surprised Iguodala can't do more. He looks like he actually lifts because he enjoys it.

DonDadda59
06-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Oh Lord...

http://cdn.straightfromthea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ray-j-gif.gif

Doranku
06-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Deadlifting is not impressive. He's doing exactly what the name says, lifting dead weight. You don't need a whole lot of strength to lift 400 lbs.

Yeah it's nothing compared to LeBron. He's lifted about 1500 lbs of dead weight to a 2-2 series tie against Steph's team.

sd3035
06-14-2015, 06:55 PM
trap bar is like a shallow squat with the weight in your hands, not the same as a real deadlift with an olympic bar

K Xerxes
06-14-2015, 06:57 PM

More importantly, why/how do you lift daily and have never done a deadlift?

TheCorporation
06-14-2015, 07:31 PM
3 things

-I am surprised someone that lifts daily doesn't known what a deadlift is
-I am surprised Curry lifted 400. I've deadlifted 405 before.
-I am surprised Curry can DL more than Iggy, Green, Barnes, etc.

lilteapot
06-14-2015, 07:36 PM
I'm 5'10 and 185 pounds and can deadlift 225. I would hope a 6'3 NBA player could deadlift twice as much as that.

retaxis
06-14-2015, 07:48 PM
3 things

-I am surprised someone that lifts daily doesn't known what a deadlift is
-I am surprised Curry lifted 400. I've deadlifted 405 before.
-I am surprised Curry can DL more than Iggy, Green, Barnes, etc.

I'm petty sure it's the old hey guys no one lift more than the leader in the team got it?

There is no way bogut or Iggy can't deadlift that much bogut especially since he is one of the stronger centres and holds his own against Marc, dj and Howard

sundizz
06-14-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm petty sure it's the old hey guys no one lift more than the leader in the team got it?

There is no way bogut or Iggy can't deadlift that much bogut especially since he is one of the stronger centres and holds his own against Marc, dj and Howard

As I've said before - NBA = genetics. These guys don't need to do stuff like deadlifts. Iggy just looks like that.

gyu
06-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm 5'10 and 185 pounds and can deadlift 225. I would hope a 6'3 NBA player could deadlift twice as much as that.
Curry weighs a mere 5 lbs more than you despite being 4" taller, therefore you should be stronger than he is.

gyu
06-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Most NBA players don't even look like they give a sh!t about working out. Bogut, Marc, and DJ are no exceptions.

kunk75
06-14-2015, 08:18 PM
trap bars are preferable because you stand inside it rather than have the whole load behind or in front of you. better physiologically. i trap bar dead 725 at 220 lbs so 400 is mehville

kunk75
06-14-2015, 08:19 PM
they were bigger a few years ago, i think they are laying off the juice. kevin love's game has suffered imo cause he's too damn scrawny now

Most NBA players don't even look like they give a sh!t about working out. Bogut, Marc, and DJ are no exceptions.

kunk75
06-14-2015, 08:20 PM
was wondering this myself probably ***** boy who curls and benches 135 every day

More importantly, why/how do you lift daily and have never done a deadlift?

FireDavidKahn
06-14-2015, 08:20 PM
400 pounds on a trap bat is nothing to brag about

FireDavidKahn
06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
trap bars are preferable because you stand inside it rather than have the whole load behind or in front of you. better physiologically. i trap bar dead 725 at 220 lbs so 400 is mehville
Trap bars are do not preferable to a normal barbell if you want to get an actual full body workout. A trap bat is to a barbell deadlift as a squat machine is to a barbell squat. Ever wonder why trap bars aren't used in competition?:oldlol:

plowking
06-14-2015, 08:25 PM
As I've said before - NBA = genetics. These guys don't need to do stuff like deadlifts. Iggy just looks like that.

They do.

They're just more worried about power output over pure strength. Not that they don't strength based exercise, since they clearly do.

kunk75
06-14-2015, 08:25 PM
no but i'm a 6'2 220lb bodybuilder with 21 inch arms and a 51 inch chest, 34 thighs and 33 waist so my opinion is good enough for me. i don't **** with real powerlifting anymore, i'm about to turn 40 and would like to be able to walk as a senior citizen

Trap bars ate do not preferable to a normal barbell if you want to get an actual full body workout. A trap bat is to a barbell deadlift aa squat machine is to a barbell squat. Ever wonder why trap bars aren't used in competition?:oldlol:

dreamwarrior
06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
when I deadlifted 365 raw (no wraps or straps), I could do 405 with a trap bar. so that's pretty impressive still.

LONGTIME
06-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Limp wristed ***** :durantunimpressed:

Beastmode88
06-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Trap Bar... :facepalm

kshutts1
06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
I just lift in my living room, so super basic equipment. Bought the bench from Sears for $50.

I don't lift for strength, but I lift for functionality and fitness. And 12 years ago when I started lifting I never had a lifting partner or a spotter, and I still don't, so I've stayed away from the really heavy lifts like squats and bench.

Deadlift I wouldn't need a spotter, obviously, but I literally don't have enough weight OR a large enough bar to max out. I only have roughly 250 pounds of weight, and my largest bar can only hold 3 plates on each side.

But again, I'm fit and it's a functional fitness. Never cared about heavy lifts.

plowking
06-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Trap Bar... :facepalm

Why do people post shit like this?

Clearly he is doing it for a reason. I've had a chance to train with some top tier bodybuilders here in Australia, and the variations of simple exercises they do is amazing.

Trap bar deadlift I'm sure is something that will add to his play on the court. It seems to imitate a hack squat or goblet type squat almost, so it is bound to hit the glutes and work for explosive moves around the basket.

KungFuJoe
06-15-2015, 11:10 AM
I have a home gym setup with a trap bar and I love it. Takes up less room and I always have it loaded with weight ready to go.

It's a good workout but it's more of a squat/dead combo since the weight is centered like a squat and not in front like a dead.

As for easier vs harder...I can actually deadlift more than I can do with the trap bar but I also have a surgically repaired Achilles which makes squatting more difficult for me.

MEB2kDeez
06-15-2015, 11:24 AM
:roll: :roll:

LikeABosh
06-15-2015, 11:26 AM
First of all, with a trap bar, really? :durantunimpressed:

Curry is thin but pretty muscular and has long limbs which help with deadlifting. 400 is just not impressive what-so-ever. Most average guys running a basic lifting program and eating well should expect to pull 400 in a year or so. I also have a very hard time believing someone like Iggy can't pull 400. He probably just never deadlifts. After a few workouts to get the form down, he'd be pulling 400 for reps easy.

KiiiiNG
06-15-2015, 12:08 PM
I just lift in my living room, so super basic equipment. Bought the bench from Sears for $50.

I don't lift for strength, but I lift for functionality and fitness. And 12 years ago when I started lifting I never had a lifting partner or a spotter, and I still don't, so I've stayed away from the really heavy lifts like squats and bench.

Deadlift I wouldn't need a spotter, obviously, but I literally don't have enough weight OR a large enough bar to max out. I only have roughly 250 pounds of weight, and my largest bar can only hold 3 plates on each side.

But again, I'm fit and it's a functional fitness. Never cared about heavy lifts.
good for you man, seriously.

i used to be heavy into lifting just for the sake of having huge muscles. i legitimately had muscle dysmorphia.

these days, i still lift, but im no longer obsessed with every single detail about lifts, like how heavy they are, what specific muscle i need to work, what new exercises i need to do so i dont plateau, eating eating eating, etc.... its ****ing stupid. dumb. im not competing in bodybuilding competitions? from 14-19 i was obsessed with muscularity. now, i realize, its not really that important, at all. and my beautiful face looks better when im cut down and not eating 8000 calories a day. why work hard when your face is flawless? :confusedshrug:

**** it, ill go do 5 sets of squats and 5 sets of deadlifts and im off to more important things.

for all you dedicated lifters out there... i pity you. i quit before hitting 20, while most of you guys are going strong in your 30's. all that wasted time and i cant imagine the types of chemicals you are putting in your body to compensate the lifestyle.

Pointguard
06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't think that's the key to his magic at all. He has great hand eye coordination. While I see plays where I have said he's not as week as he looks, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Westbrook push him around, or Dova effectively use strength on him. Rose played Curry physical at a game this year and it definitely affected Curry in regulation. It could have been an endurance issue but it shouldn't have been in the middle of the season.

NumberSix
06-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Sterling?

Im Still Ballin
04-01-2016, 10:28 AM
every