PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who still thinks that Durant is currently the best NBA player?

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 01:48 PM
If we're assuming that all guys are healthy. Saw this quote on ESPN:

There is little argument that LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world today. But let's take it one step further.

Is King James the best athlete in the world?

I guess I must be the only one who thinks that what we've seen from Durant these past 2 years is a step above anything we've seen from LeBron or anyone else.

I don't doubt that Durant could make it to the Finals every year in the East in LeBron's position and also don't doubt that he could average almost 40 a night on the Warriors if he was averaging 32 FGA per game and 11 FTA per game...

For comparison, LeBron in these finals is averaging 32 FGA and 11 FTA per game while averaging 37 PPG.

In Durant's first finals, he averaged 31 PPG on just 20 FGA and 6 FTA per game... Give him LeBron's averages and make it single coverage every time down the floor? He's dropping 50-60 a night.

LeBron's numbers are impressive but it's coming directly at the expense of what the Warriors want, LeBron in isolation taking 30-40 shots on 40% while the rest of Cleveland's role players can't get enough going for the team to get the W.

kennethgriffin
06-15-2015, 01:50 PM
could be.. i'm still worried about his lack of heart/killer instinct though

if there was a draft though the #1 pick league wide going forward is anthony davis

Rocketswin2013
06-15-2015, 01:51 PM
If he played better in the '14 playoffs. Westbrook was better, LeBron has been better the past two years, Paul was arguably better each of these past two postseasons than Durant's '14.

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 01:53 PM
It's just funny to me how the media tilts the narrative to favor LeBron no matter the circumstances.

He's putting up Westbrook esque numbers and suddenly thats all you need to be considered far and away the best, but in his Miami years the argument was all about efficiency, something that Durant has a noticeable lead over LeBron on now.

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 02:00 PM
If he played better in the '14 playoffs. Westbrook was better, LeBron has been better the past two years, Paul was arguably better each of these past two postseasons than Durant's '14.

Better is relative to so many factors it's hard to reach a consensus on who was best with their play.

Under any rate, if you want to compare LeBron's numbers vs the East in the playoffs last year to Durant's vs the West, go ahead. I'd imagine LeBron doesn't even have a big lead in numbers despite playing FAR easier opponents.

He did play better vs the Spurs, though a lot of his production came in garbage time since his team was getting blown out and the gameplan wasn't to shutdown LeBron whereas we've seen Durant have games where he is doubled more often than not.

Kingwillball
06-15-2015, 02:04 PM
No lebron is easily better than KD who would rely on jumpers to fall like curry to have big impact. Without Westbrook and ibaka let's say how do u think he would fair constantly getting doubled and also not getting calls like lebron.

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 02:05 PM
No lebron is easily better than KD who would rely on jumpers to fall like curry to have big impact.

He can score at will from anywhere on the floor, the fact that he's a 50/40/90 shooter just adds to his impact, doesn't take away from it.

warriorfan
06-15-2015, 02:07 PM
http://rockheads.us/Photos/Meltdown/meltdown.jpg

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 02:12 PM
http://rockheads.us/Photos/Meltdown/meltdown.jpg
no meltdown here bruh, I'm pulling for LeBron to win the chip this year but I think it's gonna take more than one man isoing all game, chucking up 40 jumpers on 40% for CLE to beat the Warriors

keep-itreal
06-15-2015, 02:12 PM
slightly better carmelo anthony

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
slightly better carmelo anthony

a "slightly better" melo doesn't go off for 16 straight 4th quarter points vs the Spurs to get his team to the Finals. Durant did that shit at age what, 22-23?

Dude is still 26 and younger than guys like Curry who is basically the new face of the NBA's youth. Excited to see Durant hopefully play in an actual offense next year rather than just going out there and dominating based on pure talent.

imdaman99
06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
He was clearly the best in his MVP year...but that seems so far away right now especially since who knows if he will ever be the same after that foot injury. I'm hoping he comes back 100% and is back to normal.

Kblaze8855
06-15-2015, 02:15 PM
It's just funny to me how the media tilts the narrative to favor LeBron no matter the circumstances.

It isnt the media. Its the entire basketball world. Its players, coaches, legends, and gms. I dont know why people act like the media invents peoples opinions.

There are hall of famer players and coaches who put 30-50 years into playing/coaching/observing the game on the highest levels who have more glowing praise for Lebron than most media.

You dont have to agree but the idea that its some know nothing media supporting Lebron is just laughable. Forget best in the league. Every 2 days there is someone with 3 decades of high level basketball experience talking about Lebron as if he hung the first peach basket and hammered down the first piece of hardwood. Its guys who played with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, and so on saying hes as good as anyone ever...some saying they would take him over Jordan.

Agree or not(I happen to not agree) it isnt the media making things up. Larry Bird, Jerry West, Laimbeer, Cartwright, Riley, Pippen, Oscar Robertson, Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Jim Boeheim, and so on arent being assigned opinions by the media. These dudes have been in and around the game 20...30...40...50 years. They arent assigned an opinion by Woody Paige. It doesnt mean they are always right...but they do have a substantial bit of knowledge to lend credibility to their opinions.

The media isnt behind peoples opinion that Lebron is...whatever people say he is at the moment.

Hes something nobody has ever seen before. Hes a Karl Malone sized point forward, bringing it up, hitting 3s, passing like a 1, playing center, and dropping 40 point triple doubles with a supporting cast the likes of which almost never plays a game on this level. And he is already a 4 time MVP and 2 time champ.

Thats why people praise him. We gotta stop pretending the media is inventing praise that wouldnt otherwise exist.

Significant members of the basketball community have been praising Lebron more than the media for years.

JerrySeinfeld
06-15-2015, 02:18 PM
It isnt the media. Its the entire basketball world. Its players, coaches, legends, and gms. I dont know why people act like the media invents peoples opinions.

There are hall of famer players and coaches who put 30-50 years into playing/coaching/observing the game on the highest levels who have more glowing praise for Lebron than most media.

You dont have to agree but the idea that its some know nothing media supporting Lebron is just laughable. Forget best in the league. Every 2 days there is someone with 3 decades of high level basketball experience talking about Lebron as if he hung the first peach basket and hammered down the first piece of hardwood. Its guys who played with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, and so on saying hes as good as anyone ever...some saying they would take him over Jordan.

Agree or not(I happen to not agree) it isnt the media making things up. Larry Bird, Jerry West, Laimbeer, Cartwright, Riley, Pippen, Oscar Robertson, Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Jim Boeheim, and so on arent being assigned opinions by the media. These dudes have been in and around the game 20...30...40...50 years. They arent assigned an opinion by Woody Paige. It doesnt mean they are always right...but they do have a substantial bit of knowledge to lend credibility to their opinions.

The media isnt behind peoples opinion that Lebron is...whatever people say he is at the moment.

Hes something nobody has ever seen before. Hes a Karl Malone sized point forward, bringing it up, hitting 3s, passing like a 1, playing center, and dropping 40 point triple doubles with a supporting cast the likes of which almost never plays a game on this level. And he is already a 4 time MVP and 2 time champ.

Thats why people praise him. We gotta stop pretending the media is inventing praise that wouldnt otherwise exist.

Significant members of the basketball community have been praising Lebron more than the media for years.

You get guys in high profiles who bash LeBron just as well, though it's not surprising that many greats, just like the greats before them, respect the new greats before them.

Jordan and Bird, two of the GOATs, have explicitly stated that they'd take Kobe Bryant over LeBron for reasons pertaining solely to winning, though it's clear if you follow the media that to them, LeBron has already leaped Kobe in any sort of rankings that they have.

KG215
06-15-2015, 02:18 PM
No lebron is easily better than KD who would rely on jumpers to fall like curry to have big impact. Without Westbrook and ibaka let's say how do u think he would fair constantly getting doubled and also not getting calls like lebron.
Uhhhh, no. Durant's much better at getting to the basket and getting to the FT line than Curry.

Kblaze8855
06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Bashing lebron is relative. It isnt the way idiotic fans do it. Even guys we make a big deal of when they say something that can be construed as negative towards him clearly respect him. Hell you mentioned Bird saying hed take Kobe to win. In that same interview he said Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and it wasnt even close. He also said Lebron was as good as anyone...to ever play the game.

But it seems he only has credibility when the person quoting him agrees....

As I said...it isnt the media driving it.

Its the basketball world.

warriorfan
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Bashing lebron is relative. It isnt the way idiotic fans do it. Even guys we make a big deal of when they say something that can be construed as negative towards him clearly respect him. Hell you mentioned Bird saying hed take Kobe to win. In that same interview he said Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and it wasnt even close. He also said Lebron was as good as anyone...to ever play the game.

But it seems he only has credibility when the person quoting him agrees....

As I said...it isnt the media driving it.

Its the basketball world.

All the GOAT tier players get increased scrutiny, it goes with the territory. LeBron gets singled out a little bit more than other GOATs because of The Decision and the fact he does have some glaring holes in his game. People aren't disrespecting his greatness they are just pointing a few of his flaws.

HurricaneKid
06-15-2015, 04:08 PM
LOL @ OP. KD is closer to being done physically and out of the league than he is to being the best player in the league.

Look at what his last surgery was:

A patient that has a non-union of the Jones’ fracture, or a recurrent fracture after it had appeared to have healed may need more involved reconstructive foot surgery. This reconstructive surgery would repair the fracture (often with bone grafting) and involves changing the shape of the foot by cutting and repositioning one or more bones in the foot or lower leg. Common bone cutting procedures (osteotomies) may include:

•Lateralizing calcaneal osteotomy -Cutting the heel bone and shifting it more to the outside
•Dorsiflexing 1st metatarsal osteotomy -Cutting a wedge out of the top of the 1st metatarsal (the bone that the big toe is attached to) so that this bone can be realigned. This is done because often in people with high arched feet the 1st metatarsal is angled downward and acts like a “kick-stand” to force the foot to be excessively loaded on the outside.

You are talking about reshaping (cutting out bone in other bones by the injured area) much of the foot in hopes that the bone is not put under future stresses. You are doing this in the foot (worst circulation in the body) of a 7'er with recurring foot problems.

pauk
06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes.

Spurs m8
06-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Healthy current Durant > 2015 Lebron

NumberSix
06-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Durant has been REALLY bad the couple playoffs he was in.

Joyner82reload
06-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Healthy Durant is clearly the best in the league. People act like hr choked in last years playoffs yet he averaged 30/9/4 on above average efficiency while losing in OT in 6 to the Spurs. Lebron got blown out vs that same team. You can talk about his poor shooting in the 2013 playoffs, but it was leagues better than what Lebron has been shooting in these playoffs. Why criticize durant for shooting 44% while praise Lebron for shooting 39% in the Finals?

mjokc
06-15-2015, 04:44 PM
KD is soft both physically and mentally, he isn't better than Lebron.

KG215
06-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Durant has been REALLY bad the couple playoffs he was in.
He hasn't, but ok.

dazzer87
06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
1>0

navy
06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
No, you cant get that title after two foot surgeries and missing basically an entire season.

I think if he comes back healthy then yeah asuming Davis doesnt take another step, Curry doesn't take another step, and Lebron regresses more.

If not then he becomes Tmac.

nba_55
06-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Sorry OKC fans, but Durant is done just like D-Rose. Anthony Davis, Curry and Westbrook are the future.

nba_55
06-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Healthy Durant is clearly the best in the league. People act like hr choked in last years playoffs yet he averaged 30/9/4 on above average efficiency while losing in OT in 6 to the Spurs. Lebron got blown out vs that same team. You can talk about his poor shooting in the 2013 playoffs, but it was leagues better than what Lebron has been shooting in these playoffs. Why criticize durant for shooting 44% while praise Lebron for shooting 39% in the Finals?

He did choke. If Reggie Jackson and refs don't bail him out, he is gone 1st round.

J Shuttlesworth
06-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Durant at this point is a better scorer, but I'm not sure if he's better at anything else outside of that. I just can't see Durant making this series competitive if he was in LeBron's position. He would be able to get the 40 ppg on higher efficiency, but I don't think he could create for his teammates like LeBron has. I also don't know if he has it in him to carry the rebounding load and play center like LeBron has been. That's not to say Durant isn't a great rebounder, but I've never seen him in a position like this to have to carry the load.

nba_55
06-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Durant at this point is a better scorer, but I'm not sure if he's better at anything else outside of that. I just can't see Durant making this series competitive if he was in LeBron's position. He would be able to get the 40 ppg on higher efficiency, but I don't think he could create for his teammates like LeBron has. I also don't know if he has it in him to carry the rebounding load and play center like LeBron has been. That's not to say Durant isn't a great rebounder, but I've never seen him in a position like this to have to carry the load.

No, he wouldn't be able to drop 40. Look what happened against Memphis once Westbrook went down.

KG215
06-15-2015, 05:09 PM
No, he wouldn't be able to drop 40. Look what happened against Memphis once Westbrook went down.
If he was getting single guarded essentially the whole time against a lineup with no one taller than 6'8" hardly ever on the floor? Yes, he would. He's not the playmaker LeBron is, so I agree that he wouldn't be as good at setting up his teammates. But 2014 Durant would be able to score roughly the same number of points as LeBron is in this series, facing the same single coverage with 6'6"-6'8" guys collapsing to help at the rim, but on fewer shots. He just wouldn't be dropping as many dimes.

SOD 21
06-15-2015, 05:10 PM
First off, I believe many people tend to forget about Kevin Durant just because they have barely seen him on a basketball court for over the last year due to multiple surgeries, which is understandable.

But he played about as well as any player that I've ever seen from Christmas 2013 through the All-Star break 2014 while Russell Westbrook was out when he averaged: 35 points, 7.5 rebounds, over six assists, 53% fg and over 40% 3PT. He was spectacular and a case could be made that he had equaled LeBron's level of greatness at the time.

However, LeBron is proving to be more durable and has shown a greater impact on creating scoring chances for his teammates. Even though Kevin Durant's ball handling skills and his ability to creat shots for his teammates has improved dramatically over the years, he is still not on Lebron's level. So durability and shot creation for his teammates pushes LeBron over Kevin Durant, at least for now.

nba_55
06-15-2015, 05:11 PM
If he was getting single guarded essentially the whole time against a lineup with no one taller than 6'8" hardly ever on the floor? Yes, he would. He's not the playmaker LeBron is, so I agree that he wouldn't be as good at setting up his teammates. But 2014 Durant would be able to score roughly the same number of points as LeBron is in this series, facing the same single coverage with 6'6"-6'8" guys collapsing to help at the rim, but on fewer shots. He just wouldn't be dropping as many dimes.

stop with the ''would have'', give me actual numbers. When westbrook went down in the playoffs, i didn't see the same thing as Lebron is doing right now.

J Shuttlesworth
06-15-2015, 05:12 PM
I think he could, if it was his mindset. It's not really comparable because he had Martin/Jackson/Ibaka playing with him too. Any one of those guys would be huge help compared to what the Cavs have righ tnow. All of those guys were in double digits that series. I think Durant playing with Delly/TT and these dudes would probably score 40 if he was asked to take a ton of shots (I think the coaching staff has told LeBron to take a lot of FGAs since Kyrie/Love went down)

I just think it's the other stuff that he would be lacking. For one, he doesn't post up, so he's not going to slow the tempo down and play bully ball. His play style of taking long shots fits right into GSW's style since it allows GSW to push tempo, especially off long missed threes. I just can't see Durant being the guy to create like 70 of 91 points like LeBron did last night. The two games LeBron has won have literally required near 40 point triple doubles. I think Durant gives you the 40, but not the triple double, and not the tempo adjustment.

SOD 21
06-15-2015, 05:13 PM
First off, I believe many people tend to forget about Kevin Durant just because they have barely seen him on a basketball court for over the last year due to multiple surgeries, which is understandable.

But he played about as well as any player that I've ever seen from Christmas 2013 through the All-Star break 2014 while Russell Westbrook was out when he averaged: 35 points, 7.5 rebounds, over six assists, 53% fg and over 40% 3PT. He was spectacular and a case could be made that he had equaled LeBron's level of greatness at the time.

However, LeBron has shown to be more durable and has a greater impact on creating scoring chances for his teammates. Even though Kevin Durant's ball handling skills and his ability to creat shots for his teammates has improved dramatically over the years, he is still not on Lebron's level. So durability and shot creation for his teammates pushes LeBron over Kevin Durant, at least for now.

KG215
06-15-2015, 05:45 PM
stop with the ''would have'', give me actual numbers. When westbrook went down in the playoffs, i didn't see the same thing as Lebron is doing right now.
Durant averaged 31-9-6-1-1 on 57% TS in the 2013 playoffs against superior competition than what LeBron's faced in these playoffs save the Warriors. That was with no Westbrook and Kevin Martin and Serge Ibaka playing like ass, especially against Memphis.

navy
06-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Durant averaged 31-9-6-1-1 on 57% TS in the 2013 playoffs against superior competition than what LeBron's faced in these playoffs save the Warriors. That was with no Westbrook and Kevin Martin and Serge Ibaka playing like ass, especially against Memphis.
Superior competition? He lost to the Grizzlies in 5 games in the 2nd round...

KG215
06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Superior competition? He lost to the Grizzlies in 5 games in the 2nd round...
Your point? I didn't say Durant went further than LeBron did this year. I think that Memphis team was better than anyone LeBron faced in the East this year.

fos
06-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Nope, I have KD #1. He's not a liability at the freethrow line and he's so long and such a great shooter he's not one dimensional like Lebron. If they're packing it in in the paint, KD can't simply rise up for a midrange jumper or 3 point shot, Lebron is a wildly inconsistent shooter.

1. KD
2. Lebron
3. Anthony Davis.

I have spoken.

navy
06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Your point? I didn't say Durant went further than LeBron did this year. I think that Memphis team was better than anyone LeBron faced in the East this year.
Based on what?

Rocketswin2013
06-15-2015, 07:31 PM
No, you cant get that title after two foot surgeries and missing basically an entire season.

I think if he comes back healthy then yeah asuming Davis doesnt take another step, Curry doesn't take another step, and Lebron regresses more.

If not then he becomes Tmac.
Curry isn't taking another step. He just took it. He's 27 and had a significantly better season this year than last. If he took a similar step up, he'd be MJ-level.

navy
06-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Curry isn't taking another step. He just took it. He's 27 and had a significantly better season this year than last. If he took a similar step up, he'd be MJ-level.
He can improve his decision making greatly in my opinion. Also his defense has 1 more step I think despite the jump this year.

I mean did anyone think Curry would be this good just a few years ago? :confusedshrug:

TheCorporation
06-15-2015, 08:35 PM
The same Kevin Durant we know, or a different guy we have yet to see what he can do?

We talkin' bout the Kevin Durant that lost in 5 games without Westbrook (to the Grizzlies)?

We talkin' bout the Kevin Durant that has made it to the Finals one time?

We talkin' bout the Kevin Durant that got whooped in 5-games VERSUS LBJ (When he also had Goatbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Sefalosha)?

We talkin' bout the Kevin Durant that has had 2 surgeries on his foot and probably won't ever be as good as he was, and he was never better than LeBron to begin with?

We talkin' bout the Kevin Durant that would have gotten swept by Golden State if he were in LeBron's shoes?

:biggums:

JohnFreeman
06-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Curry will overtake Durant with the chip

BlakFrankWhite
06-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Durant would murder gsw if they give him single coverage.

Gsw are his favorite whipping boys....he would abuse Iggy on his way to 45 ppg on 50% FG.

oarabbus
06-16-2015, 12:20 AM
If you think Durant > Lebron I feel bad for you son

you got 99 problems and being retarded is one

SpecialQue
06-16-2015, 12:22 AM
:facepalm

JerrySeinfeld
06-16-2015, 12:22 AM

lol when the guy was triple teamed?

LeBron could never dream to command that kind of attention. Go watch the Rockets series before the Memphis one that year, whenever Westbrook went down. The Rockets were straight up double teaming Durant.... from full court.

TheCorporation
06-16-2015, 12:29 AM
lol when the guy was triple teamed?

LeBron could never dream to command that kind of attention. Go watch the Rockets series before the Memphis one that year, whenever Westbrook went down. The Rockets were straight up double teaming Durant.... from full court.

LeBron can pass at elite levels, Durant cannot.

Triple team myth solved...lol Watch some more basketball.

BBallZen83
06-16-2015, 12:34 AM
If we're assuming that all guys are healthy. Saw this quote on ESPN:

I guess I must be the only one who thinks that what we've seen from Durant these past 2 years is a step above anything we've seen from LeBron or anyone else.

I don't doubt that Durant could make it to the Finals every year in the East in LeBron's position and also don't doubt that he could average almost 40 a night on the Warriors if he was averaging 32 FGA per game and 11 FTA per game...

For comparison, LeBron in these finals is averaging 32 FGA and 11 FTA per game while averaging 37 PPG.

In Durant's first finals, he averaged 31 PPG on just 20 FGA and 6 FTA per game... Give him LeBron's averages and make it single coverage every time down the floor? He's dropping 50-60 a night.

LeBron's numbers are impressive but it's coming directly at the expense of what the Warriors want, LeBron in isolation taking 30-40 shots on 40% while the rest of Cleveland's role players can't get enough going for the team to get the W.

I don't think that most people (outside of internet stans/trolls) would argue that Durant isn't the better pure scorer. My guess would be that given the coverage that Lebron has had in the finals, yeah, Durant could probably average what Lebron is scoring on better efficiency.

The obvious disparity, which has already been mentioned, and I will reiterate, is that Durant doesn't have the all around package that Lebron has, and I don't think many people would argue this either. Lebron is the better passer and defender. They are probably even on rebounding.

Basically, I just don't think Durant can have the same overall impact and control of the game that Lebron has. This in no way detracts from Durant. He is an amazing player, and assuming he returns to health, he will be one of the greats given he wins a couple.

JerrySeinfeld
06-16-2015, 12:36 AM
LeBron can pass at elite levels, Durant cannot.

Triple team myth solved...lol Watch some more basketball.

It doesn't matter what the difference in their passing skills are, passing out of a double/triple team is not hard.

Teams aren't doubling Durant and single covering LeBron because of passing skills. In that instance Durant was playing with a starting 5 of Reggie Jackson (who was still a scrub), Thabo Sefolosha, Serge Ibaka, and Kendrick Perkins.

They are doubling Durant because they'd rather let anyone else try to score.

In the case of LeBron, the defense is fine with him chucking away on sub 40% in iso situations, so there is no need to double team him. His passing abilities aren't even a concern at that point. He either shoots for 40% or passes to scrubs who will do the same.

JerrySeinfeld
06-16-2015, 12:38 AM
I don't think that most people (outside of internet stans/trolls) would argue that Durant isn't the better pure scorer. My guess would be that given the coverage that Lebron has had in the finals, yeah, Durant could probably average what Lebron is scoring on better efficiency.

The obvious disparity, which has already been mentioned, and I will reiterate, is that Durant doesn't have the all around package that Lebron has, and I don't think many people would argue this either. Lebron is the better passer and defender. They are probably even on rebounding.

Basically, I just don't think Durant can have the same overall impact and control of the game that Lebron has. This in no way detracts from Durant. He is an amazing player, and assuming he returns to health, he will be one of the greats given he wins a couple.

LeBron hasn't been a better defender than Durant for the past 2 years and all stats support that statement.

So yeah, he's a better passer. Only edge that he currently holds.

TheMilkyBarKid
06-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Na it goes
1) LeBron
2) healthy KD

After that it's quite a gap.

iTare
06-16-2015, 01:47 AM
If you think Durant > Lebron I feel bad for you son

you got 99 problems and being retarded is one
:lol