PDA

View Full Version : How do you stat pad?

UK2K
06-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Out of curiosity...

Someone mentioned Lebron likes to stat pad assists. How do you 'stat pad' an assist. Either you throw an assist that leads to a teammates bucket, or you dont.

Same deal with rebounding. I get how someone like Wilt could just throw the ball up over and over. But in today's game, how do you stat pad a rebound? Like youre the only one going after it or something? If anything, its on the other team for not stopping you.

keep-itreal
06-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Cavs VS Warriors game 1 overtime.

sd3035
06-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Dribble out the clock then dump the ball off to a teammate who is forced to jack up a shot. If he makes the shot, you get an assist

pretty simple

Lebald is a legendary rebounding statpadder as well, frequently running to the rim for a rebound instead of trying to contest shots of actually guard his man

Fallen Angel
06-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Dribble out the clock then dump the ball off to a teammate who is forced to jack up a shot. If he makes the shot, you get an assist

This.

To statpad rebounds you leave your man defensively as soon as a shot is launched to get in quick position

aj1987
06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Out of curiosity...

Someone mentioned Lebron likes to stat pad assists. How do you 'stat pad' an assist. Either you throw an assist that leads to a teammates bucket, or you dont.

Same deal with rebounding. I get how someone like Wilt could just throw the ball up over and over. But in today's game, how do you stat pad a rebound? Like youre the only one going after it or something? If anything, its on the other team for not stopping you.
It's simple. When LeBron does it, it's statpadding. When Kobe, KD, etc. do it, it's just good basketball.

SyRyanYang
06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
1. Control the ball on every possession
2. Take your time and get yourself into rhythm
3. Make a move
4a. if you get a good look, shoot the high percentage shot
4b. if defense is too good, dump the ball to your teammates who will likely to shoot as the shot clock is winding down
5.?????
6. Profit

Fallen Angel
06-16-2015, 08:33 AM
It's simple. When LeBron does it, it's statpadding. When Kobe, KD, etc. do it, it's just good basketball.
That's not true at all.

When any star player forces a role player to chuck a jumpshot with the shot clock wining down they get criticized, ESPECIALLY is they miss. You can't blame the shooter on having to throw up basically a prayer just because the assister gets stuck in a predicament where they wouldn't get an efficient shot.

Batz
06-16-2015, 08:38 AM
:kobe:

Both Durant and Bryant almost always chuck-up with the shot-clock winding down. Rarely do you see them dump it off to anyone else.

JerrySeinfeld
06-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Run the clock down and rather than take the low percentage shot yourself, keep dumping it off to teammates so if they miss, they just lower their own FG% and if they make it you just get an extra assist

Not that hard of a concept and LeBron himself publicly admitted to doing this too much like 1-2 rounds earlier in the playoffs, saying that letting the clock run down that low was just forcing his teammates into bad looks and he had to do a better job or some shit.

aj1987
06-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Both Durant and Bryant almost always chuck-up with the shot-clock winding down. Rarely do you see them dump it off to anyone else.
As I said, when LeBron passes the ball for a better shot, people yell statpadding. When Kobe chucks up and bricks a 3 over 2 defenders, people call him alpha. I still remember people shitting on LeBron for passing the ball to Haslem, for a WIDE OPEN FT line jumper, instead of shooting it over 2 defenders. So, according to this logic, LeBron is a statpadder, because he's looking for a better shot (even if he's not the one to take take it), and Kobe is an "alpha" because he's chucking it over 2 defenders and usually bricking it.

I can't find numbers for end of shot clock shots, but since the '06 season (doing it only till '13 for Kobe due to injuries), Kobe, on average, took 66 shots per season (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=bryanko01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=5&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg) with 5 seconds left in any quarter or OT of a game. LeBron averaged 71 of those shots (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=jamesle01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=&shot_distance_max=&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=0&time_remain_seconds=5&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg) per season.

plowking
06-16-2015, 08:53 AM
This.

To statpad rebounds you leave your man defensively as soon as a shot is launched to get in quick position

That is what you're supposed to do on defense. As soon as the shot goes up, no point defending anyone anymore. Get into rebounding position, box out your man and grab the rebound.

aj1987
06-16-2015, 08:54 AM
That is what you're supposed to do on defense. As soon as the shot goes up, no point defending anyone anymore. Get into rebounding position, box out your man and grab the rebound.
:oldlol:

You're supposed to stick you assignment even after he shoots otherwise it's statpadding. Come on, man.

JohnMax
06-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Theres some Youtube videos showing Lebron stat padded in 2014 Finals. Here's one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APGlNxSvODw

Genaro
06-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Stat pad assists? Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGqVxYbITU
Dribble the whole possession and when you realize you got nothing, just throw to anyone close by.

Rebounds? See Kevin Love. Leave your man and go to the paint every time someone shoots. Make sure you don't box out and grab the rebounds while your teammates do so. Also when no one on the other team is near the rebound, steal the rebound from your center.

Derka
06-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Rondo is the first point guard I've ever seen who made the assist into a selfish play every time he would lead a 2-0 fast break after a turnover and pass up the open layup to dish to the trailer to get an assist.

There was never a single time he did that where I said to myself "Good unselfish play there, Rondo." Instead, I would usually say "Wow, you're such a **** when you do that, Rondo..."

Chizdog
06-16-2015, 09:24 AM

Do you even watch Lebron's defense? He always just camps outside the paint and wait for rebound and doesn't even try to defend Iguodala. This is the reason why Iguodala gets so many 3 point made.

UK2K
06-16-2015, 10:34 AM

pretty simple

Lebald is a legendary rebounding statpadder as well, frequently running to the rim for a rebound instead of trying to contest shots of actually guard his man

But if the shot goes in, its an assist whether it's 5 seconds into the shot clock or 20.

Does an assist with three seconds left on the shot clock count less? If anything its probably more impressive.

Nash
06-16-2015, 11:12 AM
statpadding assists is difficult, but somebody like Rondo used to do it when he passes on a breakaway instead of putting it in himself.

Rebounding is kinda difficult too but usually the guys who prefer to go after the rebound instead of box out is a way to pad your numbers.

i guess going for the stat instead of doing the right thing is what I see as statpadding.

LBJMVP
06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Stat pad assists? Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmGqVxYbITU
Dribble the whole possession and when you realize you got nothing, just throw to anyone close by.

Rebounds? See Kevin Love. Leave your man and go to the paint every time someone shoots. Make sure you don't box out and grab the rebounds while your teammates do so. Also when no one on the other team is near the rebound, steal the rebound from your center.

haha i love when the whole team runs off the court like since there no longer there the ref can't review the play anymore.