PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank Stephen Curry on the all-time PG list and overall ?

Legends66NBA7
06-17-2015, 12:48 AM
After a very successful season in which Curry broke the all-time 3 pointers made in the regular season and playoffs, along with a MVP and title, where would you rank him all-time on the all-time PG list and overall ?

Clearly top 10 ? Top 5 ? Does he break the Top 50 players and where would he be on your list ?

Discuss.

Fallen Angel
06-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Tony Parker tier

Mrofir
06-17-2015, 12:53 AM
I hate to say it but titles count. At the moment if he retired I think he's one millisecond behind Stockton Nash and Kidd -- but all he has to do is keep playing at current level for a few more years to surpass them.

Edit -- even though I definitely think all three of those guys would have been able to win a championship this season with that roster.

Bernkastel
Bored-of-giving-it-to-the-best-player MVP that was carried to a title by Alpha male flopper Iggy.

Sounds like a player outside the top 100. Iggy, on the other hand, is going up.

dabigbaws
he got carried by a bench player.

keep-itreal
scrub

GIF REACTION
06-17-2015, 12:54 AM
Is this the first time in NBA history that a league MVP who won the championship that year didn't win the FMVP?

I rank him on the same tier as Derrick Rose/Tony Parker

Legends66NBA7
06-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Is this the first time in NBA history that a league MVP who won the championship that year didn't win the FMVP?

Kareem in 1980.

RRR3
06-17-2015, 12:57 AM
PG List: Top 20 I guess. GOAT gerbil

Overall: Behind Iggy

Cali Syndicate
06-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Steve nash tier....career is midst of his prime, can only get better.

DMV2
06-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Third best PG ever!

Still got long ways to go before entering all-time Top 25 overall.

Prime_Shaq
06-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Best shooting point guard all-time when its all said and done.

Legends66NBA7
06-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Best shooting point guard all-time when its all said and done.

Curious, why not now ? Which PG would be a better shooter than Steph ?

Prime_Shaq
06-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Curious, why not now ? Which PG would be a better shooter than Steph ?
Steve Nash. While I personally believe Curry is the best shooter at the PG position all time, I remember another thread where some Nash fans provided some solid evidence. So, it Steph isn't CLEARLY the best shooting PG atm.

Legends66NBA7
06-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Bump.

Just wanted to know more opinions.

HOoopCityJones
06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Better than Chris Paul

STATUTORY
06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
whereever chris paul is, steph is one spot above him

Cold soul
06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Top 20 PG Curry in Nash and Kidd tier for the moment.

Milbuck
06-17-2015, 05:48 PM
He's in the top 10 PGs all time imo. Lower end. I'm not going to hold a couple bad games in the finals that much against him. It's fun to clown him now because of some of his annoying fans and Iggy winning FMVP over him...but he did put up a hell of a regular season, had a terrific playoff run before the finals, and as for the finals... The guy put up 26/5/6/2 on 59% TS against constant double and occasionally even triple teams..they game planned specifically against him all the time, he had by far the most defensive attention of anyone on his team, to the point where they didn't even guard guys like Iggy at times. If he does that and people still clown him, that has to say something about how crazy good he is. Curry had a few bad games but overall his series wasn't even bad. If anything, guys like Klay and Barnes deserve flack for not torching Cleveland with how much defensive attention shifted to Curry.

Alamо
06-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Top 10

Cleverness
06-17-2015, 05:50 PM
I think he'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd best pg ever

he's still behind isiah & stockton. arguably on the same level all-time as Kidd, Nash, etc

Cold soul
06-17-2015, 05:54 PM
I think he'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd best pg ever

he's still behind isiah & stockton. arguably on the same level all-time as Kidd, Nash, etc

Top two? How would Curry be above Oscar Robertson? Curry isn't half the player Oscar was and likely won't have half his accomplishments either.

illmaticone
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
If he continues at the pace that's expected of him now he's gonna go down in the top-5 best PG's of all time and most likely be #2 or #3. Right now I'd have him behind Magic, Stockton, Oscar, Isiah. He's in the tier with Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, and Chris Paul (I have him above CP3 even if he retired today). So as of right now probably #7, but will be top 3 when it is all set and done.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Best PG in the league right now
Top 3 all time (if you count A.I as a PG)
1.Magic
2.A.I
3.Curry

Overall? Right now he is around top15-20

SHAQisGOAT
07-05-2015, 02:34 PM
If he keeps it up and stays healthy, he's clearly gonna be a top10 PG at the least, imho.

I got Magic, Oscar, Isiah, Frazier, Stockton, Cousy, Nash, Payton and Kidd on my top10 GOAT PG's list... No reason why Steph can't make it.

Kareem in 1980.

Should've been named FMVP though.

TheMarkMadsen
07-05-2015, 02:36 PM
he has more on court impact than most point guards who have every played.. impacts the game offensively in ways that guys like Kidd and Stockton ever did..

Curry is going to change the way GM's/Coaches build teams

Rocketswin2013
07-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Pointless ranking him right now IMO. He's only had one elite year.

greatest-ever
07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Well he's nowhere near the top 10 all time point guards yet. Peak he's top 5 though.

As for all time list, idk. His career has been short so far and he's only been a top 10 player for about 3 seasons. Not top 50 yet, id say around 75-80 range probably.

SamuraiSWISH
12-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Behind:

Magic
Isiah
Stockton

Already on the Kidd, Nash, and GP tier. Maybe a slight notch ahead of CP3 due to the ring.

I know it's only been 20 some odd games but he continues this play for the rest of the year. And his level of play the past few years for another 3 to 5 years. He could easily be top five all time when all is said and done.

He's playing the best right now. LeBron is still the best player in the league though.

Oscar, Iverson, and West at times played PG but weren't really point guards. I don't include them in the discussion.

dubeta
12-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Somewhere between 0-11 all time

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2015, 02:53 PM
This version of Curry is easily better than Isiah and Stocton ever were, so if he goes injury free, he'll accordingly go down above them.

SamuraiSWISH
12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
This version of Curry is easily better than Isiah and Stocton ever were, so if he goes injury free, he'll accordingly go down above them.
That's a bit overzealous.

Cali Syndicate
Curry is on pace to make 400+ 3s. Lol....he's gonna go down as the best ever.

feyki
Around 70-80 .

GoatBoy
12-09-2015, 02:59 PM
That's a bit overzealous.
He's having the GOAT season on the so far GOAT team. Hard to knock that

SamuraiSWISH
12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Curry is on pace to make 400+ 3s. Lol....he's gonna go down as the best ever.
3 FGM soley dictate his status as the best Point Guard ever?

:oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
He's having the GOAT season on the so far GOAT team. Hard to knock that
22 games ... a quarter of a season. Too early to call anything a GOAT season for a player or team. Do I really need to even articulate that as a point of argument contention? Distribution and defense must mean nadda for Curry fans. And opponent quality as well for GSW fans. They have played no legit quality team yet. And this might be the weakest season of all time for competition. Might have the worst record team of all time as well.

sammichoffate
12-09-2015, 03:09 PM
22 games ... a quarter of a season. Too early to call anything a GOAT season for a player or team. Do I really need to even articulate that as a point of argument contention? Distribution and defense must mean nadda for Curry fans. And opponent quality as well for GSW fans. They have played no legit quality team yet. And this might be the weakest season of all time for competition. Might have the worst record team of all time as well.Rockets, Clippers, Pacers, Raptors, Jazz, are far from garbage teams, they've played Clippers and Raptors multiple times too. Stop pulling things out of your ass just because they haven't played San Antonio yet.

SamuraiSWISH
12-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Rockets, Clippers, Pacers, Raptors, Jazz, are far from garbage teams, they've played Clippers and Raptors multiple times too. Stop pulling things out of your ass just because they haven't played San Antonio yet.
Those teams are average at best. San Antonio and healthy Cleveland are only legit ones. The league is weak as hell this year. It's obvious. Don't let it rustle your jimmies, kid.

GoatBoy
12-09-2015, 03:12 PM
22 games ... a quarter of a season. Too early to call anything a GOAT season for a player or team. Do I really need to even articulate that as a point of argument contention? Distribution and defense must mean nadda for Curry fans. And opponent quality as well for GSW fans. They have played no legit quality team yet. And this might be the weakest season of all time for competition. Might have the worst record team of all time as well.
Do you see him or them slowing down? I sure as hell don't. I articulated so far because through 22 games of a season, nobody has seen better from a team or one player

sammichoffate
12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Those teams are average at best. San Antonio and healthy Cleveland are only legit ones. The league is weak as hell this year. It's obvious. Don't let it rustle your jimmies, kid.Didn't Washington beat Cleveland AND San Antonio this season? Didn't the Spurs lose to the weak ass Bulls this season? League is weak right now, but don't compare them to the bullshit that you try to post.

Magic 32
12-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Top 3.

Pointguard
12-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Curry is a hard measure at the moment, but I think he could have an all time great peak. But at the moment:

1. too short of sample.
2. too many guards would look considerably enhanced on that team.
3. his PG skills are moreso very good than great.
4. his best skill by far is a SG's skill and he would probably function as that next to most great PGs.
5. he's playing in a system that gets the max out of his ability.
6. he wasn't a top ten player but a small fraction of his career.
7. what we seen outside of this beautiful system was at the level of hardly being talked about here, despite him having a green light. And 5 years is a good size sample.
8. lets see him deal outside of the system, or with injuries or without the best offensive and defensive team.

The greatest thing about GS system is that you don't see where an individual takes the burden or where somebody might be under a lot of pressure - which is why the streak doesn't cause pressure.. But I really think Curry is very good under pressure. But time will create circumstances for us to really evaluate him better. But he has a great foundation, crazy ceiling. off the chart's skill.

ArbitraryWater
12-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Curry is a hard measure at the moment, but I think he could have an all time great peak. But at the moment:

1. too short of sample.
2. too many guards would look considerably enhanced on that team.
3. his PG skills are moreso very good than great.
4. his best skill by far is a SG's skill and he would probably function as that next to most great PGs.
5. he's playing in a system that gets the max out of his ability.
6. he wasn't a top ten player but a small fraction of his career.
7. what we seen outside of this beautiful system was at the level of hardly being talked about here, despite him having a green light. And 5 years is a good size sample.
8. lets see him deal outside of the system, or with injuries or without the best offensive and defensive team.

The greatest thing about GS system is that you don't see where an individual takes the burden or where somebody might be under a lot of pressure - which is why the streak doesn't cause pressure.. But I really think Curry is very good under pressure. But time will create circumstances for us to really evaluate him better. But he has a great foundation, crazy ceiling. off the chart's skill.

:sleeping

Also, Curry has been a top 10 player by his 3rd full year in the league, so lol to that.

Wade's Rings
12-09-2015, 03:41 PM

:applause:

DrakeTheSnake
12-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Steve nash tier....career is midst of his prime, can only get better.
Good call. He has clearly surpassed Nash now.

Pointguard
12-09-2015, 05:05 PM
:sleeping

Also, Curry has been a top 10 player by his 3rd full year in the league, so lol to that.

You highlighted seven things and this has nothing to do with six of the highlights. You still don't know how to post.

Show me a list with Curry in the top ten in his fourth season.

bizil
12-10-2015, 05:49 AM
GOAT wise, Steph still has work to do before hitting the top 10 GOAT PG's. But for projection purposes, he's looking like a top 5 GOAT PG eventually. He already has a ring. And looks to have the potential to SHOOT up the GOAT PG charts quicker than most. But right now, I can't put Steph in the top 10 GOAT PG's. However, I wouldn't be surprised if BOTH Curry and Westbrook join Magic, Big O, and Isiah as the top 5 GOAT PG's one day...

Peak value or best player wise, I think Curry is arguably a top 5 PG ALREADY! The only PG's FOR SURE I would take over Curry are Magic and Big O in that realm. I could understand arguments for others like Westbrook, Frazier, Isiah, and Payton. But the things that Steph is doing at PG in terms of the package of shooting-handles-passing is UNPRECEDENTED! Just like Magic and Big O, he's redefining the PG position.

Smoke117
12-10-2015, 05:53 AM
I hate to say it but titles count. At the moment if he retired I think he's one millisecond behind Stockton Nash and Kidd -- but all he has to do is keep playing at current level for a few more years to surpass them.

Edit -- even though I definitely think all three of those guys would have been able to win a championship this season with that roster.

That may be the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read on ISH...jesus christ. :biggums: Curry's achievements aren't even close to any of those three players yet.