PDA

View Full Version : the lebron assist is the most garbage and overvalued statistic in the game

STATUTORY
06-17-2015, 10:31 AM
and I'm not singling out Lebron, this applies to a lot of players. There is nothing valuable about single pass assist where you dribble out the entire shot clock and pass to someone at the last second to force them to take a shot. It's basically an option, if that person makes the shot you get an assit, if he misses he gets credited with a miss and your stat stays the same. It's the cheesiest way to get assists and actually hurt your team in the long run

LoneyROY7
06-17-2015, 10:34 AM
the lebron assist

and I'm not singling out Lebron

:roll: :roll: :roll:

SugarHill
06-17-2015, 10:35 AM

ISHGoat
06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
the argument is valid but i highly doubt lebron is consciously trying to pad his assists by forcing his teammates to shoot with the shot clock down.

he is taking up a lot of the shotclock, by design, and then making a move at the end. when hes making his move, thats when the defense adjusts and shooters become open, leading to a lot of jump shots at the end of the clock.

STATUTORY
06-17-2015, 10:37 AM
the argument is valid but i highly doubt lebron is consciously trying to pad his assists by forcing his teammates to shoot with the shot clock down.

he is taking up a lot of the shotclock, by design, and then making a move at the end. when hes making his move, thats when the defense adjusts and shooters become open, leading to a lot of jump shots at the end of the clock.

:roll: :roll: n99a u naive son

Ne 1
06-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I have always considered James' "assists" ala Stephon Marbury-esque or Steve Francis-esque. I mean at their peaks they were what? 9 assists type of guys but you would never say that those 9 assists are similar to a Kidd or a Nash having 9 assists. What I mean is Stephon Marbury (a 7.6 career assist guy) could get you 7-8 assists a game, but he can't run a team the way a true PG can.

Compare him to someone like Nash, who constantly sets up his teammates to make shots that wouldn't otherwise be possible without his slick passing. His assists are more meaningful, because those shots wouldn't exist without his passing skill. LeBron sometimes passes the ball hoping for an assist, but the ball doesn't go in because he passed it to a covered teammate 18 feet away from the basket. He's a slashing point-forward who dominates the ball a lot, and sometimes he passes it, and sometimes a teammate makes a jumpshot after receiving a pass from him. People compare him to Magic, but Magic got more assists finding cutters than finding shooters, he found easy baskets for his teammate. Magic facilitated baskets...he set people up in the post so much. LeBron gets assists off the dribble, it's a lot different.

STATUTORY
06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I have always considered James' "assists" ala Stephon Marbury-esque or Steve Francis-esque. I mean at their peaks they were what? 9 assists type of guys but you would never say that those 9 assists are similar to a Kidd or a Nash having 9 assists. What I mean is Stephon Marbury (a 7.6 career assist guy) could get you 7-8 assists a game, but he can't run a team the way a true PG can.

Compare him to someone like Nash, who constantly sets up his teammates to make shots that wouldn't otherwise be possible without his slick passing. His assists are more meaningful, because those shots wouldn't exist without his passing skill. LeBron sometimes passes the ball hoping for an assist, but the ball doesn't go in because he passed it to a covered teammate 18 feet away from the basket. He's a slashing point-forward who dominates the ball a lot, and sometimes he passes it, and sometimes a teammate makes a jumpshot after receiving a pass from him. People compare him to Magic, but Magic got more assists finding cutters than finding shooters, he found easy baskets for his teammate. Magic facilitated baskets...he set people up in the post so much. LeBron gets assists off the dribble, it's a lot different.

exactly, the key telling statistic about how good a passer a player is is how much he increases the assist TOTAL of his team, not his individual assists. A guy like Lebron does not increase the total assist opportunities of his team, he just monopolizes the existing opportunities, there's no gain in efficiency

again not singling out lebron

nathanjizzle
06-17-2015, 10:48 AM
2 dimensional pointgaurds are good at 1 pass assists. 3 dimensional pointguards are good at hockey assists.

STATUTORY
06-17-2015, 01:43 PM
2 dimensional pointgaurds are good at 1 pass assists. 3 dimensional pointguards are good at hockey assists.

:applause: :applause: i like that

Da_Realist
06-17-2015, 02:03 PM
and I'm not singling out Lebron, this applies to a lot of players. There is nothing valuable about single pass assist where you dribble out the entire shot clock and pass to someone at the last second to force them to take a shot. It's basically an option, if that person makes the shot you get an assit, if he misses he gets credited with a miss and your stat stays the same. It's the cheesiest way to get assists and actually hurt your team in the long run

And it's UGLY basketball

outbreak
06-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Tell that to mark jackson. Lebron dribbles for 20 seconds throws an ugly regulation pass and someone makes a defended jump shot mark jackson creams his pants talking about how it was all lebron

Smoke117
06-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Wade's Rings
06-17-2015, 03:26 PM

MP.Trey
06-17-2015, 03:30 PM

This is all true, but people are making it seem like a negative connotation. Of course the way a true pass first PG gets assists will be different than a ~30 PPG scoring SF.

funnystuff
06-17-2015, 03:31 PM
:lol

bond10
06-17-2015, 03:36 PM

this is actually a decent post. nice work STATUTORY. The LEBRON ASSIST !!